• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ferr986

I did not even know it existed until this morning I read the preview for Savage Alex and saw the requirement. I don't do side quests so how the fuck would I know. Apparently there's also a Gilgamesh fight in this game. Absolutely. zero. clue.

Heh, I did Ultima HM long before, but thats it. I can't even do High roulette because I have to do like +10 dungeons before having access to it, and I'm just too lazy to do it.

Kenai

I'm glad they're gonna look at doing adjustments for the Cards because for a class feature we sure don't get to use them to their fullest as often as I feel we should be able to compared to what other classes are known for.

Well, having out of combat Spread alone is a pretty big deal. I am not sure what all card adjustments means but (fingers crossed) hoping that means more card effects are more useful for more classes. Like if the Spear lowered the timer on CDs currently on cooldown when applied, that would be great. That blurb was so vague though...no idea what specifics they mean.

Lightspeed either needs it's magic potency reduction gone/severely reduced or needs to lower/remove the GCD on spells. Hoping for a little of both. Collective sounds like its CD is getting super lowered so that might do it for that if we can have it up for every major AoE in Noct ect. Will still be clunky but at least it will be useful that way.

Noct is a tougher nut to crack since its theme is higher magic potency/shields and I am not sure how they are planning to adjust CDs to reflect that. Extending Regens in Diurnal works so well, I hope they figure something nice out.

fedexpeon

Banned
Ravana EX is such a better fight than Bismarck EX, holy shit. Pure mechanics instead of just one giant DPS check.

?
It is still a dps check.
But yeah, it is the only boss fight in the game that is good right now.

I think they need to do Alex 2+4 as one boss fight.
The chaos and scale of the fight would be awesome with adds, bombs, orbs, lasers, and one of the tank will get suck up while tanking adds.

Klyka

Banned
Sidequests are garbage. Especially if they don't steer you directly to them. Why would anyone know random nobody in Vesper Bay has dungeon unlocks. Just bullshit mmo nonsense.

I like sidequests cause they make me get to know the world better :)
And I like meeting the "nobody" and learning his story :)

WolvenOne

Ravana EX is such a better fight than Bismarck EX, holy shit. Pure mechanics instead of just one giant DPS check.

Well, to be fair it's mostly mechanics yes, but it's mostly mechanics that we've seen before. Only two things strike me as somewhat newish. The double-Pray attack that comes up after Dive Bombs, (and that's more like a combination of previous mechanics,) and the whole Revengence Counterattack thing.

This isn't to say the fights, "easy." While most the mechanics aren't new, there are a lot of them, and a lot of them handle slightly differently than previous incarnations. There's a lot of little things you have to remember in that fight as a result. Also, it's still somewhat of a DPS check, the difference being that if you're not making the DPS check it's probably due to too many mistakes being made.

Ferr986

I like sidequests cause they make me get to know the world better :)
And I like meeting the "nobody" and learning his story :)

When they do that, I like them too. Like the continous sidequests of HW, for example the Miqote hunter (or yes, even Mogleo). They're a minority but I hope they continue with this. I did them all in the "journey section" of HW story and it helped to flesh out the areas that I was visiting.

reson8or

Hello all, I just started playing again this week since 2.4.

I have done several searches, but haven't found a definitive answer to what has changed on Monk in regards to our rotation. I am now just using my old rotation while throwing in Form Shift and chakra between fights.

Can someone share what is now considered the standard rotation?

PS Currently I'm 55, but please pretend I'm 60 :)

Squishy3

?
It is still a dps check.
But yeah, it is the only boss fight in the game that is good right now.
But not in an aggravating sense like Bismarck EX is, where there are multiple ways to wipe during the entire fight that rely solely on DPS being output. If all the DPS haven't been repeatedly dying the entire fight and they're up by the time the phases start repeating you'll be fine.

Well, to be fair it's mostly mechanics yes, but it's mostly mechanics that we've seen before. Only two things strike me as somewhat newish. The double-Pray attack that comes up after Dive Bombs, (and that's more like a combination of previous mechanics,) and the whole Revengence Counterattack thing.

This isn't to say the fights, "easy." While most the mechanics aren't new, there are a lot of them, and a lot of them handle slightly differently than previous incarnations. There's a lot of little things you have to remember in that fight as a result. Also, it's still somewhat of a DPS check, the difference being that if you're not making the DPS check it's probably due to too many mistakes being made.
Yup, exactly what I mean. Bismarck is a rotation check for DPS, and has multiple mechanics to wipe the fight if DPS isn't up to par, which can be insanely frustrating for all parties involved. (Oddly enough, once my group started using the one tank solos the small add in DPS stance during phase 3 and all DPS are on the big and small add) we cleared the fight no problem.

But yeah, Ravana EX is an extremely well designed fight and you can make it through all the mechanics to learn them forwards and backwards even if your DPS isn't up to par because it's so easy to break the stoneskin and kill the butterflies. (At least with a full group of ilvl180+ players, anyway.)

WolvenOne

But not in an aggravating sense like Bismarck EX is, where there are multiple ways to wipe during the entire fight that rely solely on DPS being output. If all the DPS haven't been repeatedly dying the entire fight and they're up by the time the phases start repeating you'll be fine.

Yup, exactly what I mean. Bismarck is a rotation check for DPS, and has multiple mechanics to wipe the fight if DPS isn't up to par, which can be insanely frustrating for all parties involved. (Oddly enough, once my group started using the one tank solos the small add in DPS stance during phase 3 and all DPS are on the big and small add) we cleared the fight no problem.

But yeah, Ravana EX is an extremely well designed fight and you can make it through all the mechanics to learn them forwards and backwards even if your DPS isn't up to par because it's so easy to break the stoneskin and kill the butterflies. (At least with a full group of ilvl180+ players, anyway.)

I've seen DPS have trouble with the butterflies actually, not so much killing them, as much as "accidentally attacking them with AoE's or auto-attacks, and setting off their cast early while the rest of the party was focusing elsewhere.

As for Bismark, it's fun enough, and I'm not opposed to having the occasional hard DPS check in a trial somewhere. While it's frustrating for people, it should prompt at least some players to look at their rotations and try to improve. Or it least I'd hope it would anyway.

Squishy3

I've seen DPS have trouble with the butterflies actually, not so much killing them, as much as "accidentally attacking them with AoE's or auto-attacks, and setting off their cast early while the rest of the party was focusing elsewhere.

As for Bismark, it's fun enough, and I'm not opposed to having the occasional hard DPS check in a trial somewhere. While it's frustrating for people, it should prompt at least some players to look at their rotations and try to improve. Or it least I'd hope it would anyway.
It's just really bad when attempting it multiple times with groups that either can't kill snakes or the people assigned to pulling DKs conveniently start forgetting to pull DKs in phase 3 so that you never actually make any progress.

WolvenOne

It's just really bad when attempting it multiple times with groups that either can't kill snakes or the people assigned to pulling DKs conveniently start forgetting to pull DKs in phase 3.

Yeeeeeaaah, but that really isn't the trials fault exactly. The trial itself is such a simple design that I have a hard time finding many faults. The real problem is that chunks of the player base are only half utilizing their class, if that. Sadly rather than improving, I suspect many players are just going to wait until Echo is added, by which point you'll be able to overgear that fight by a fair amount as well. <_<;;

Squishy3

Yeeeeeaaah, but that really isn't the trials fault exactly. The trial itself is such a simple design that I have a hard time finding many faults. The real problem is that chunks of the player base are only half utilizing their class, if that. Sadly rather than improving, I suspect many players are just going to wait until Echo is added, by which point you'll be able to overgear that fight by a fair amount as well. <_<;;
It's already really easy to overgear it, lol. When I cleared it we were one cycling the carapace before he even shudders.

Sorian

Banned
Sidequests are garbage. Especially if they don't steer you directly to them. Why would anyone know random nobody in Vesper Bay has dungeon unlocks. Just bullshit mmo nonsense.

MMOs are the only genre that have side quests and the quest giver for a very important or cool thing is completely out of the way with little indication. /s

I think you are forgetting this is an MMORPG and the half of that where the side quests are pulled from is the RPG side.

WolvenOne

It's already really easy to overgear it, lol. When I cleared it we were one cycling the carapace before he even shudders.

Yeah, you can overgear it now, but not to the extent you'll be able to when 3.1 rolls around, or heck 3.05. Esoterics, Alex Normal Gear, and maybe access to a different ilvl190 weapon will be a considerable overgear, "before," Echo is introduced to things.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is that there is a portion of the playerbase that is a bit spoiled and always waits for nerfs or echo before trying to do even marginally difficult content. Heck, I saw some people saying this about Steps of Faith on the first day it was available.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I did not even know it existed until this morning I read the preview for Savage Alex and saw the requirement. I don't do side quests so how the fuck would I know. Apparently there's also a Gilgamesh fight in this game. Absolutely. zero. clue.
^Not a Manderville Man

MMOs are the only genre that have side quests and the quest giver for a very important or cool thing is completely out of the way with little indication. /s

I think you are forgetting this is an MMORPG and the half of that where the side quests are pulled from is the RPG side.

I have played nine million mmos for decades now.. I don't want the rpg side of it at all. I just want the pokemon/fighting game mechanics. Do the dance, push the buttons, collect shiny stuff. That's all the joy I get from these games anymore. No story, no music, no cutscenes, no quests, no lore, none of that. I'm past that phase.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have played nine million mmos for decades now.. I don't want the rpg side of it at all. I just want the pokemon/fighting game mechanics. Do the dance, push the buttons, collect shiny stuff. That's all the joy I get from these games anymore. No story, no music, no cutscenes, no quests, no lore, none of that. I'm past that phase.

Well guess what. This is a Final Fantasy game so those RPG elements are going to be at the front of everything else because they want casual FF fans to play. As someone who doesn't like MMOs I'd say it's working quite well.

Ken

Hello all, I just started playing again this week since 2.4.

I have done several searches, but haven't found a definitive answer to what has changed on Monk in regards to our rotation. I am now just using my old rotation while throwing in Form Shift and chakra between fights.

Can someone share what is now considered the standard rotation?

PS Currently I'm 55, but please pretend I'm 60 :)

My MNK is also 55 and it feels like the "dummy rotation" is still the same but with a Forbidden Chakra snuck into the opener from pre-engage Meditation. In a boss where I have to disengage for a very short time (like Tioman's comets) I'll Form Shift to Couerl form if I'm not in it already. If I am then I'll try 1-2 Meditations before tackling back in.

I think at 60 you just add oGCD Elixir Field when it's up, and Tornado Kick when a boss leaves long enough for you to have to drop stacks.

reson8or

My MNK is also 55 and it feels like the "dummy rotation" is still the same but with a Forbidden Chakra snuck into the opener from pre-engage Meditation. In a boss where I have to disengage for a very short time (like Tioman's comets) I'll Form Shift to Couerl form if I'm not in it already. If I am then I'll try 1-2 Meditations before tackling back in.

I think at 60 you just add oGCD Elixir Field when it's up, and Tornado Kick when a boss leaves long enough for you to have to drop stacks.

Thanks very much.

This is what I've been doing too, and is probably the reason I wasn't able to find any info on it. Much appreciated!

Well guess what. This is a Final Fantasy game so those RPG elements are going to be at the front of everything else because they want casual FF fans to play. As someone who doesn't like MMOs I'd say it's working quite well.

Which is totally cool. My statements about sidequests apply to ALL games. I'm not singling out FF over it. But on stuff like me genuinely not knowing for 6 months there's an Ultima HM fight.. I don't know. I don't think people who love rpg elements are the type that do all side quests, that's just something we all do (did) in these kind of games because we know the formula. For Infamous 1 I did every single side quest everywhere. For Infamous 2 I didn't, because I knew in the end there was nothing worthwhile. Same reasoning here. Except in this case buried among 100 worthless moogle quests, there's a dungeon or primal fight hidden in there.

From now on I'm going to just double check a wiki to make sure I have all content unlocked.

Valor

So it sounds like I'm doing things in the wrong order then, thanks.

More or less. I think it's a decent argument over which fight is currently more difficult -> Rav EX or A4. I think most would say Ravana is a bit more challenging, if I were to hazard a guess. Though a solo DF A4 is pretty challenging...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Which is totally cool. My statements about sidequests apply to ALL games. I'm not singling out FF over it. But on stuff like me genuinely not knowing for 6 months there's an Ultima HM fight.. I don't know. I don't think people who love rpg elements are the type that do all side quests, that's just something we all do (did) in these kind of games because we know the formula. For Infamous 1 I did every single side quest everywhere. For Infamous 2 I didn't, because I knew in the end there was nothing worthwhile. Same reasoning here. Except in this case buried among 100 worthless moogle quests, there's a dungeon or primal fight hidden in there.

From now on I'm going to just double check a wiki to make sure I have all content unlocked.

Might be a good idea to check patch notes as well since they usually list the newer, more important side quests that get added. As an aside, Ultima HM is one of my favorite fights in the game but it's considered a "non-canon" fight, which is why it's attached to a side quest.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
More or less. I think it's a decent argument over which fight is currently more difficult -> Rav EX or A4. I think most would say Ravana is a bit more challenging, if I were to hazard a guess. Though a solo DF A4 is pretty challenging...

Ravana has more insta-wipe mechanics (Swift/Final Liberation) so I'd say Ravana.

Sorian

Banned

You sound extremely boring. Can we just get you a Skinner Box?

Ravana has more insta-wipe mechanics (Swift/Final Liberation) so I'd say Ravana.

Insta wipe doesn't necessarily mean harder. Also, those aren't really insta-wipe mechanics. Final liberation only kills two people, for example, if it's done wrong.

And yes, I'm aware there is a way to kill the entire group with that attack.

Ken

Minstrel's Ballad is a weird one. Since it's not a requirement for Trials Roulette it's super easy to miss. Also most of his quests have been in response to the community demand so if you're not around during those times there's really no reason to believe said Trials exist.

If you did SCoB Savage then you could probably guess the Alexander Savage unlock is also tied to that NPC, but that just goes back to the problem of not being around during its inclusion.

Squishy3

Yarp, Alexander normal is definitely easier than both EX primals at this point in time.

On the topic of Minstrel's Ballad Ultima, I'm really excited for the next one since YoshiP confirmed it's coming in the last letter.

Top Bottom