• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Omni

Try waiting by the Moogle mailbox.

Define fast and how much you are looking to make.
Well I had 130k (still going through the story) but I had to send it to someone I know. So I've got nothing to teleport and stuff with >.<

Just the fastest way to get a small amount so I'm not totally hopeless haha

Do people play a lot of PVP here? I know I'm in a huge minority with this but I have lost any interest on PVP in MMOs when it's not connected to PVE. For me the golden age of PVP was in Vanilla WoW when you could bring your PVE gear to PVP and vice versa. Just makes the whole world seem more connected and doing hard work in one of them would pay off for both.

I actually haven't even tried the PVP in XIV when I saw it uses separate PVP stats.

Also I have been feeling the XIV world feels a little dead and I realized it probably has a lot to do with no world PVP at all. There is no danger in the world whatsoever. Even the mobs don't aggro nearby allies when engaged.

Azzurri

Do people play a lot of PVP here? I know I'm in a huge minority with this but I have lost any interest on PVP in MMOs when it's not connected to PVE. For me the golden age of PVP was in Vanilla WoW when you could bring your PVE gear to PVP and vice versa. Just makes the whole world seem more connected and doing hard work in one of them would pay off for both.

I actually haven't even tried the PVP in XIV when I saw it uses separate PVP stats.

Also I have been feeling the XIV world feels a little dead and I realized it probably has a lot to do with no world PVP at all. There is no danger in the world whatsoever. Even the mobs don't aggro nearby allies when engaged.

You have came to the wrong MMO if you're looking for PvP. It's in the game because it has to be basically.

Kenai

That amazing feeling when you find your co-healing soul-mates and they are in the same free company at you and they feel the same about you.

Being told your AST is the only one they can trust healing along side of is such a special feeling. Now if only I could get one of our officers to stop bullying us ASTs and poking fun at our buffs.

That's when you (for some strange reason) prioritize your buddy with all of the DPS cards/extend cds and then "politely" point out the whiner's DPS and wonder out loud in Mumble if the lag is affecting their rotation a bit? Cause maybe that's why they aren't quite up there?...hmmm

Sorian

Banned

World PvP is the most annoying thing in the world and just causes headaches. Even in games with faction systems, I play on PvE servers just so I don't have to deal with griefers. Probably my favorite thing about FFXIV is that this non-sense doesn't exist.

You have came to the wrong MMO if you're looking for PvP. It's in the game because it has to be basically.

Oh, I'm actually not looking for PVP much at all as I said. It died for me in modern MMOs.

World PvP is the most annoying thing in the world and just causes headaches. Even in games with faction systems, I play on PvE servers just so I don't have to deal with griefers. Probably my favorite thing about FFXIV is that this non-sense doesn't exist.

Who doesn't love trolling people in world PVP? :3

iammeiam

I only started playing this game a few weeks ago, before HW. Choosing Bard, I was afraid of WM before I got it, but after getting it, I never have it off, and I beat every bit of content besides the last EX stuff and Alex with it on(haven't tried those).

I don't understand the need for most Bards to be constantly running. For AOE's you can usually get off whatever attack you were using, adjust your position slightly, and then resume turreting. Most bosses don't require that much movement at all.

Now pretend that you've been playing Bard for an extended period of time, not just a couple of weeks.

Pretend you've adapted to a playstyle that demands you be able to double oGCD without pushing out your GCD, that you queue your GCD weaponskills so they fire off ASAP, that you catch your Straighter Shot procs as soon as they happen, before the skill icon is even highlighted. That you accept your lower DPS ceiling as a result of trade off for mobility and utility, and don't mind it because you enjoy the way the class plays and pulling off the silly number of button presses in the opener without missing anything.

Now you unlock Wanderer's Minuet. You can't double oGCD without pushing out your GCD. One of your strongest attacks--Barrage into Empyreal Arrow--demands you intentionally push out your GCD. Queuing weaponskills means your oGCD instants now interrupt them. Catching a Straighter Shot proc immediately no longer even works. Mobility is gone, traded for as little movement as possible.

In return, you get... Nothing. You're still capped lower than "real" DPS--it's baked into your weapons and not going anywhere. There's no strategizing behind it. There's no new flow or groove to fall into, the playstyle of Minuet is by its nature stilted. The class feels less cohesive and like a different animal, for absolutely no gain to you.

The issue isn't that Bards can't handle Minuet. It's that it's a badly designed system, not terribly fun, fairly unrewarding, and counter to the basic strengths of the class pre-Heavensward. You could play stationary turret-bard in 2.x and it was still better than Minuet because the skills worked together. I've done everything but Alexander on Minuet Bard; I just legitimately did not enjoy it. It's not about difficulty, it's about fun, and that is why MCH is currently kicking Bard's ass.

That's when you (for some strange reason) prioritize your buddy with all of the DPS cards/extend cds and then "politely" point out the whiner's DPS and wonder out loud in Mumble if the lag is affecting their rotation a bit? Cause maybe that's why they aren't quite up there?...hmmm
Once when we are on mumble and he was WAR during one of our Alex Stage 2 runs I gave him an enhanced TP buff and he asked our other healer to Leeches it off him because he didn't want charity from a AST.

I'll prove to him our worth one day.

As the pvp expert of Ultros, the pvp in this game is not fun unless you're going in with friends/an LS. Especially with not being able to see your opponents' names, it feels like such a disconnect, like I'm fighting bots. Still, it can be pretty fun with small pvp community we have.

dcye

I only started playing this game a few weeks ago, before HW.

Stopped reading here. It's completely different for those of us who've been playing BRD for nearly two years and have gotten nothing but nerfs since launch, and then this janky shit stance that barely raises your dps at all.

The issue isn't that Bards can't handle Minuet. It's that it's a badly designed system, not terribly fun, fairly unrewarding, and counter to the basic strengths of the class pre-Heavensward. You could play stationary turret-bard in 2.x and it was still better than Minuet because the skills worked together. I've done everything but Alexander on Minuet Bard; I just legitimately did not enjoy it. It's not about difficulty, it's about fun, and that is why MCH is currently kicking Bard's ass.

I accept that it is both a huge change and a stupid one. I was just saying that I don't see the advantage in constant movement anyway. And in regards to other classes being better....they probably are. I was only speaking to the fact that in respect to having only one class to play until 60, I was not as hampered as I thought I was going to be.

I'm going to be leveling more DPS, just saying.

hamchan

I should have never downloaded a parser.
I see DPS but they don't DPS. I don't know what's happening.
I can't tell them they are bad but I also can't look away.
It's like a carcrash and I am forced to watch it happen.

On the other hand,I'm pretty happy with my own DPS, actually managed to get close to 900 yesterday. More of a fluke though, can't do that stuff in fights with too much movement.

Once you see you can't unsee. Now you'll see the bad DPS everywhere.

IMBored

Barrage into Empyreal Arrow--demands you intentionally push out your GCD.

Forget that, with my ping even using EA alone overlaps the gcd. They need to change it fast but I'm afraid that the change will be making it an ability and nerfing brd even more (no barrage buff).

Valor

As the pvp expert of Ultros

Rose plz.

Forget that, with my ping even using EA alone overlaps the gcd. They need to change it fast but I'm afraid that the change will be making it an ability and nerfing brd even more (no barrage buff).
I don't know why this is considered ping when it's actually not a bug but a feature.

EA has a unique cooldown off of the GCD while having a cast time. It's supposed to cut into your GCD. The only way to make it not is if you Straight Shot Proc into it.

Kenai

Once when we are on mumble and he was WAR during one of our Alex Stage 2 runs I gave him an enhanced TP buff and he asked our other healer to Leeches it off him because he didn't want charity from a AST.

I'll prove to him our worth one day.

Our NIN in my static seems to be the biggest fan, closely followed by our BLM and MCH.

I seriously can't wait for the buffs coming up. Having actual healing CDs that differentiate the class (especially at low levels prior to Draw) is going to be exciting. I might be getting my hopes up too much regarding the Spear and Celestial since the wording on their adjustments was so vague, but at the very least Lightspeed, Collective, Spread and Shuffle are gonna be much better. That alone will be a big deal.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of bad DPS, I just had a terrible run of Alex T1 which ended in 3-4 wipes and an abandon.
Okay, we had one new person, who hasn't done it yet. That said, I've never seen failing to kill the adds under the lines so many times in a row. In the end I did half of the work myself, but with this many people who already cleared it, I was hoping for another fast run.

iammeiam

I think short of a Straighter Shot proc it does that to everyone really--1.5 sec cast time for the GCD + 1.5 sec cast time for EA > 2.5 sec GCD.

EA really should just be a GCD with no extended recast and a silly high TP cost so it's really only worth it if you're buffed to the teeth and have Barrage up or need solid burst for a few GCDs before a jump/regen time. EA is just one of many things about 3.x bard that feels really half-baked.

Klyka

Banned
I am probably the worst NIN on this board but I am still confident to say I am above average.
I don't know if I should be proud or not.

Speaking of bad DPS, I just had a terrible run of Alex T1 which ended in 3-4 wipes and an abandon.
Okay, we had one new person, who hasn't done it yet. That said, I've never seen failing to kill the adds under the lines so many times in a row. In the end I did half of the work myself, but with this many people who already cleared it, I was hoping for another fast run.
Last night I ran Alex 1 for an hour with friends and we failed everytime due to those missiles/not picking up adds. Got so bad my co-healer statrted helping fight the adds while I healed the group. I my mind it is the the easiest of the Alex stages, but I main healer so...

I've learned to fear the sound of those missiles about to explode. Didn't help one of the tanks got pissy when the bomb went off and was yelling about the healing and didn't seem to understand that the debuff is a massive hit to our healing potency.

Our NIN in my static seems to be the biggest fan, closely followed by our BLM and MCH.

I seriously can't wait for the buffs coming up. Having actual healing CDs that differentiate the class (especially at low levels prior to Draw) is going to be exciting. I might be getting my hopes up too much regarding the Spear and Celestial since the wording on their adjustments was so vague, but at the very least Lightspeed, Collective, Spread and Shuffle are gonna be much better. That alone will be a big deal.
I'm glad they're gonna look at doing adjustments for the Cards because for a class feature we sure don't get to use them to their fullest as often as I feel we should be able to compared to what other classes are known for.

iammeiam

True, but higher ping worsens the issue. And this isn't something that SS will help, because casts and gdc scale the same.

Wut? Straighter Shot makes Straight Shot instant cast but doesn't touch your GCD so EA should start casting closer to a second in, with the cast completing as your next GCD comes up.

Proc'd instant casts cutting 1.5 seconds off the GCD itself would be Christmas for Machinists. Wildfires would get insane.

Guess Who

Banned
Now pretend that you've been playing Bard for an extended period of time, not just a couple of weeks.

Pretend you've adapted to a playstyle that demands you be able to double oGCD without pushing out your GCD, that you queue your GCD weaponskills so they fire off ASAP, that you catch your Straighter Shot procs as soon as they happen, before the skill icon is even highlighted. That you accept your lower DPS ceiling as a result of trade off for mobility and utility, and don't mind it because you enjoy the way the class plays and pulling off the silly number of button presses in the opener without missing anything.

Now you unlock Wanderer's Minuet. You can't double oGCD without pushing out your GCD. One of your strongest attacks--Barrage into Empyreal Arrow--demands you intentionally push out your GCD. Queuing weaponskills means your oGCD instants now interrupt them. Catching a Straighter Shot proc immediately no longer even works. Mobility is gone, traded for as little movement as possible.

In return, you get... Nothing. You're still capped lower than "real" DPS--it's baked into your weapons and not going anywhere. There's no strategizing behind it. There's no new flow or groove to fall into, the playstyle of Minuet is by its nature stilted. The class feels less cohesive and like a different animal, for absolutely no gain to you.

+100

Wut? Straighter Shot makes Straight Shot instant cast but doesn't touch your GCD so EA should start casting closer to a second in, with the cast completing as your next GCD comes up.

Proc'd instant casts cutting 1.5 seconds off the GCD itself would be Christmas for Machinists. Wildfires would get insane.

Pretty sure they meant SS as Skill Speed.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Message for returning members to the Ultros FC:

If you joined originally in beta, before the guildworks system, we still need you to make a guildworks app before we can let you back in. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it helps us keep track of the 9 billion members we've gotten.

Zalasta

I don't understand the need for most Bards to be constantly running. For AOE's you can usually get off whatever attack you were using, adjust your position slightly, and then resume turreting. Most bosses don't require that much movement at all.

It's not that bard has to be constantly moving, it's the fact that because bard can move and still attack, it is the one class that can adjust position in lieu of any other classes. Bard's mobility allows them to reposition constantly without expecting others to. It also allows them to kite mobs. Can you imagine playing T7 with WM or have we somehow fall into an alternate dimesnion where BLM is the top choice for dealing w/ renauds? I don't think so.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Well I had 130k (still going through the story) but I had to send it to someone I know. So I've got nothing to teleport and stuff with >.<

What, like your bookie?

Will the new PVP arena count towards mount achievements? Please be yes because soon as I get BLM/PLD to 60 I'm taking a long ass break from leveling, and I want to get back into pvp to get the GC mounts + ADS mount.

WolvenOne

Will the new PVP arena count towards mount achievements? Please be yes because soon as I get BLM/PLD to 60 I'm taking a long ass break from leveling, and I want to get back into pvp to get the GC mounts + ADS mount.

It's called Frontlines so, presumably. Sadly, I feel pressured to try to get my Frontlines ambitions dealt with when this mode is still new. With GC restrictions in place, I can't really count on reasonable queues after the new-shine wears off.

Sorian

Banned

I'd ask to queue with you but you seem like you'd be a dirty adder.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I didn't have my parser on since I just planned on doing a couple of roullettes. I later regretted not having it on. I was tanking Brayflox story as a Dark Knight with 2 Ninjas and an Astrologian. Safat took longer to kill than I've ever seen. Everytime a poison spit puddle went out I moved him to a safe area, yet somehow we literrally circled over the arena 3 times. It's like the dps weren't doing anything but autoattacking.

Jayhawk

Weekly challenge log and daily roulette rewards give out gil.

Look at all these PvP pros who only started to PvP in 2015.

I'd ask to queue with you but you seem like you'd be a dirty adder.

Maelstrong ATM. Only because some of my 2.5 glamours involved parts of the Maelstrong GC outfit. Since that's no longer the case, I can join any faction, but it better be one where we'll win a lot so I can get those 200 Ws.

Sorian

Banned
Weekly challenge log and daily roulette rewards give out gil.

Look at all these PvP pros who only started to PvP in 2015.

Pls, I quit PvP in 2015. I'll admit I didn't do it with you losers when wolf's den was the only thing out because, well, it was wolf's den. But I suffered through all those flames losses back before they were cool.

Valor

Would you like me to train you?
I've played with actually good PvPers, so I'm just fine. Rip Oreo and friends.
Official gaf pvp gc is flames. Please switch now.
Your scrub levels rise by the day hour minute.

Maelstrong ATM. Only because some of my 2.5 glamours involved parts of the Maelstrong GC outfit. Since that's no longer the case, I can join any faction, but it better be one where we'll win a lot so I can get those 200 Ws.
MAELSTRONG FOREVER YOU CHUMP SANDWICH.

Astra

I've played with actually good PvPers, so I'm just fine. Rip Oreo and friends.

They are amazing in the Wolves Den. They moved to Aether, and hosted a server-wide tournament. A Japanese PvP team even transferred for the event. While they did great against every other team, they got crushed by Oreo and Friends.

Valor

They are amazing in the Wolves Den. They moved to Aether, and hosted a server-wide tournament. A Japanese PvP team even transferred for the event. While they did great against every other team, they got crushed by Oreo and Friends.

Yup! I remember hearing that they transferred and were getting a big event going. I never knew how it turned out until now though. I'm not too surprised, those guys are on a complete other level.

WolvenOne

I didn't stay on Wolves Den for long. I dunno if it was the small arena or whatnot, but it felt weird somehow.

I did not even know it existed until this morning I read the preview for Savage Alex and saw the requirement. I don't do side quests so how the fuck would I know. Apparently there's also a Gilgamesh fight in this game. Absolutely. zero. clue.

Two Gilgamesh fights actually, and Ultros/Typhon.

Top Bottom