• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

xezuru

I'm fuckin dreading the pressure to pick up Heavensward and start playing again, but lack of an all-in competent raiding team to look up to when I'm done playing catchup destroys me.
But in reality, it's the possibility of this shit bankrupting me hue

fedexpeon

Banned
Both of these are the reasons I stopped.

Yup.
I stopped playing and just leveling alts.
I am happy with a 182 ilvl.
Fuck it, going to wait for new contents with better ilvl than this token system.
I will only be behind 18 ilvl anyway(Savage Alex is ilvl 200 right?).
I bet crafted items will be introduced with new instances and raids to get people catch up once again.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yup.
I stopped playing and just leveling alts.
I am happy with a 182 ilvl.
Fuck it, going to wait for new contents with better ilvl than this token system.
I bet crafted items will be introduced with new instances and raids to get people catch up once again.

Isoterics will have stuff close to Alex gear I bet.

I would be amazed if savage alex is only ilvl 200, since esoterics need a place to fit in as well. Having normal and savage alex be only 10 ilvls apart would also run the risk of things being too facerolly in savage, unless savage mechanics are just so brutal that gear won't make any difference except to beat dps checks.

BadRNG

I would be amazed if savage alex is only ilvl 200, since esoterics need a place to fit in as well. Having normal and savage alex be only 10 ilvls apart would also run the risk of things being too facerolly in savage, unless savage mechanics are just so brutal that gear won't make any difference except to beat dps checks.
I assumed esoterics would be same ilevel as savage.

My bet is 210, with 200 being the ilevel of whatever the new 24m is in 3.1.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
No, but you can die while in quarantine and your body just stays there, cold and lonely, with no healers coming to save you. A fate worse than death.
It quarantines a healer next time if a tank or dps dies there afaik.

Every Quarantine is a DPS check for the Off Tank and the DPS it randomly picks. Basically, can you kill the mob before the OT's health runs out.

It's pretty lenient right now, I suspect it'll be a bit more difficult in Savage.
Using Clemency helps a lot but it really isn't required. It's very easy to kill that mob.

dcye

Well, at least pug Alex lets you try over and over while pug Coil says come back next week you loser.

ibfd4D3KSw39sh.png

Those BiS items :(

Apoptomon

Something to remember about the final boss of Aetherochemical Research Facility: the floor-is-ice spell affects the 'lobby' outside the arena too.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Had an embarrassing performance against Shiva Ex as I went in blind and wasn't as attentive as I should have been. Thankfully I turned it around and got my shit together after the 3rd wipe.

Wagram

* Players will only receive one page of the Gordian Manifesto per area each week upon completing said area for the first time.

Figured it would be a different token each turn.

I assumed esoterics would be same ilevel as savage.

My bet is 210, with 200 being the ilevel of whatever the new 24m is in 3.1.

That does sounds pretty good. Guess it also depends on if they are going to go the upgrade item for tome gear route as well. The names of the current Alex gear make it seem like there will be an upgrade item for them as well.

fedexpeon

Banned
so i got this email from discord
1Flx8bt.jpg

How do they know that i am the warrior of light

No clue.
Because you aren't.
The meta story behind FF14 is that there is only one WoL with Her Blessing.
When the servers come to a close, one of us players will be realized as the true WoL within that server realm.

But somehow, this is moggle is also a WoL...
It looks like a phishing email with a keylogger image attachment file.
Don't click it! Kupo!

Squishy3

Made it to 1% on Ravana EX, and we would've cleared if we didn't try to do swift liberation mechanics. :(

Still one of the best fights in the game.

BadRNG

That does sounds pretty good. Guess it also depends on if they are going to go the upgrade item for tome gear route as well. The names of the current Alex gear make it seem like there will be an upgrade item for them as well.
Perhaps the tokens that you get for clearing is the "upgrade" item for alexander?

But then I guess that doesn't leave a ton of room for tome gear getting upgrades, unless it uses the same item. If the esoterics are the AF2 like many think it will be, then it's possible there won't be an upgrade path as they want everyone wearing the distinct class colors.
until 3.3 when they introduce expensive crafted glamour option

Sigh, that's what I was afraid of. "We don't have any new content, but we'll make sure that you'll do those 2 dungeons some more".
Alexander Savage is the new content.

Remember that esoterics are basically a part of 3.0's tier of content, the only reason they were not in at release was because they didn't want players to feel rushed to get to 60 and start farming for their weekly cap. Law gear costs were so cheap you never really had to grind the current dungeons much we have to begin with.

Ken

They could have withheld Neverreap and Fractal to force us to farm Research Facility and S. Reactor for law!

Arizato

I used to love this game, played it nearly everyday with friends for this past year. They are still carrying on playing and I have not motivation at all. I am at 52 with the dark Knight and I had early access for god's sakes.

The thing that is holding me back are these crappy new areas. They are waaaaay to large to run through. The thing that bothers me the most is that these new areas have to be fully explored and somewhat quested to be able to fly and that's just plain stupid according to me. These areas are also designed around flying, and when you can't fly running takes more time because you have to run around mountains and other obstacles. It's just bad. Why would you want to return to an area and fly around when you have already completed 75% of the crap you had to do there.

I rarely call games walking simulators, but I can honestly say that 80% of the time I've spent in expansion areas has just been running.

Ken

I do. Still takes way to much time in my opinion, though.

Hmm. Outside not being able to reach certain hunts, I haven't been too bothered by traveling in the new zones by land.

You barely even have to explore most zones if you stick to MSQ. I think you see like...30% of SoC during MSQ?

Kenai

Also I laughed, because that quote came from the guy that loves the game where you grind shit for months so one person can get a piece of equipment.

Yea I found that kinda strange too. You do remember don't you? This is like a tamer version of FF11, since this is instanced so no waiting for the previous group to clear before you can try, and the mobs always drop *something*. Strip the tomes, add in a random high level crafting mat that maybe 30 people on the server can try to not 100% blow up, and restrict this one piece of loot to 1-3 classes. Oh and, 25-50% droprate on all of that.

I do. Still takes way to much time in my opinion, though.

Most zones take an hour or two at most of dedicated unlocking (outside Sea of Clouds since that is a 2 parter) They give you a compass that tells you where the nearest one is and (again, except for Sea of Clouds) every single node is available when you zone in.

I actually think the big zones are pretty nice. Sure, their function is kinda limited (hunts and gathering mostly, occasional rare FATE or dungeon unlock) so I hope there's more to see and do in them in the future but it did feel quite rewarding to unlock a zone's flying.

Arizato

Most zones take an hour or two at most of dedicated unlocking (outside Sea of Clouds since that is a 2 parter) They give you a compass that tells you where the nearest one is and (again, except for Sea of Clouds) every single node is available when you zone in.

Every node that you get from exploring is in, yes. But if you haven't done enough of the main quest line you are still locked out from the questing ones. So even if you've taken the zone nodes you are still able to be screwed from flying.

Raijinken

tumblr_ngclzgJpxK1u3wer6o1_500.gif

If we desynth it, will Dusk Leather pop out?

I'm a little doubtful at this point. Not a single person has been able to get one from the fish other than that one Japanese player. I don't know how rare the swimsuits were back in 2.3 but I can't help but feel like this is a hoax.

Ferr986

oh man, why I have to finish all of those dungeons to unlock High roulette? Coudlnt it work like Low roulette (just unlock)?
Another fuck you for newcomers and returning players, but without the "it's part of the story" excuse.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Gordias gear is so ugly I doubt even dyes are gonna save it. I mean... I think original Allagan was better, if less involved.

A3 has an enrage? I've only ever seen the A1 enrage, lmao.

Every turn in Alexander has an enrage. Even 2, curiously enough.

I'm a little doubtful at this point. Not a single person has been able to get one from the fish other than that one Japanese player. I don't know how rare the swimsuits were back in 2.3 but I can't help but feel like this is a hoax.

Seems like a hoax at this point, yeah.

There's also 3.1 24-man raid gear to be fit into it somewhere... Which could be 190, just like normal Alexander, but is probably 200.

TheYanger

Just resubbed this week for the first time since launch, so I'm now being forced to catch up on EVERY GOD DAMN PATCH worth of questing to enjoy the new expansion I bought?

Talk about some tedious and poorly thought out shit. I don't actually mind doing new story stuff, but what I do mind is now being forced to repeatedly queue for low level dungeons and guildhests just to get through it. I seriously hope the later patch cycles in 2.0 didn't have this shit, or that Square is learning from people how poorly conceived this shit is. If I was so invested in the story that I was unwilling to play the xpac without seeing what I had missed, I wouldn't have cancelled my sub 2 years ago Square, ffs. I liked where the scenario was when I left, but now it's devolved back into "make up bullshit excuse to force you to do Qarn" just to pad out their patch cycles. THer'es no purpose :(

Rising_Hei

Made another farm pt for Ravana yesterday, have 31 kills in total right now.
Something really surprises me, many people kill it despite not knowing how to do the prey and pools, they just kill it by chance... and in farm pts they can "farm it" because with i190 weapons you have room to die more, tried to explain but after 6 kills (some wipes included) they still wouldn't listen and most wouldn't even try to switch the prey.

I think Ravana EX should've been more punishing, i don't like to see people clearing things they don't get or try to (in extreme primals, atleast)

Alrus

Guildhests have never been mandatory for anything afaik and the vast majority of post 50 dungeons are optional. You have a few trials to go through tho.

chrono01

Gordias gear is so ugly I doubt even dyes are gonna save it. I mean... I think original Allagan was better, if less involved.
As a caster, I'm just tired of always having a robe. One of the reasons I loved the original Allagan armor so much was because it was a coat. It was different. It's still one of my favorite vanity pieces, actually.

The only reason I haven't vanity'd it over the Alexander stuff yet is because Esoterics is coming next week and I'm waiting to see what that looks like for us. If it's another robe [and let's face it, it probably will be], it'll be Allagan for the duration of Alexander Savage.

Actually, more specifically, Allagan Chest/Gloves, and Strife Pants/Boots, since I don't particularly like that skirt-thing you get with the Allagan pants.

The High Allagan vanity set was also acceptable.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Every turn in Alexander has an enrage. Even 2, curiously enough.
Wait, turn 2 has an enrage? I remember that we wiped maybe 4 times right after Alex Normal came out before I figured out that we should use the tachikoma to pull the bomb, but even then, we would just get overrun by enemies.

TheYanger

Guildhests have never been mandatory for anything afaik and the vast majority of post 50 dungeons are optional. You have a few trials to go through tho.

I just had to do Qarn and 2 guildhests in a row to continue the main scenario...
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quest/A_Realm_Awoken

Middle steps there.
Thus far this first patch worth of content I've been catching up on has had precisely 0 interesting quests, 0 interesting story beats, and 0 compelling gameplay segments. I sincerely hope they improve, ebcause 30-50 in the base game was great when it came out. I don't expect the stakes to remain that high, it's a lull period sure, and moving the scions from the waking sands is a relevent story point. What isn't relevant to anything is fixing Minfila's mom's fucking earrings or teleporting all over the place to brew some tea, or helping level 15 and 30 people with their random dungeon queues to do content I already did. All of that shit should've been sidequests they added, so that if you come back you're not forced through that trash.

Something really surprises me, many people kill it despite not knowing how to do the prey and pools, they just kill it by chance... and in farm pts they can "farm it" because with i190 weapons you have room to die more, tried to explain but after 6 kills (some wipes included) they still wouldn't listen and most wouldn't even try to switch the prey.

I think Ravana EX should've been more punishing, i don't like to see people clearing things they don't get or try to (in extreme primals, atleast)

No thanks

It's a big enough crapshoot as is unless you're doing things with a static or at least the competent members of your FC. Besides, from a business standpoint you can't have content be too exclusive, and there are plenty of people who still won't have their neon weapons by the time they're replaced.

It's true that a lot of people seem to have trouble avoiding AOE that's really not difficult, but no need to punish others for that

I've never been in a farm PT that stayed together after 3 kills; it becomes pretty obvious that people are trying to get carried (same people eating prey, getting knocked off, bad DPS etc) and the rest don't feel like wasting time

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Good thing about Scholar is bad tank doesn't stop you from winning easily. Bad DPS either. Bad tank AND bad DPS is rough though, but that's like way more unlikely to happen. SCH does everything in 4man dungeons.

Yeah, it's looking more and more like SCH will be the job I gear at 60. Getting close to cap on WAR, so might as well finish that but I have zero faith in healers when running DF and would much rather heal through other people's bad than have a bad healer myself.

fedexpeon

Banned

WTF...Why 30 kills?
You need his card or do you have 6x lvl 60?

Then again, this game has been out for one month and everything is on farmed status.
I guess you do it because you are bored.

Top Bottom