• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Hey guys, quick question.

This is my first MMO, I got to level 18 in Gridania then got an air ticket so jumped in a ship to Lima limonsa(I forgot how to spell it) now all I see are level 3 quests. Have I fucked up by leaving Gridania? Do I seriosly have to do these low level quests?

The quests there are a low level because it is another of the starting zones. The questline sends you on a round trip to the various starting zones but will soon lead you to side quests your level.

Bittercup

This is my first MMO, I got to level 18 in Gridania then got an air ticket so jumped in a ship to Lima limonsa(I forgot how to spell it) now all I see are level 3 quests. Have I fucked up by leaving Gridania? Do I seriosly have to do these low level quests?
No, those are just the low level quests for people starting in Limsa Lominsa. You can do them for some easy exp or just skip them and follow the main quest. It should lead you to a higher level area.
If I remember correctly after leaving Uldah and arriving in Limsa I went to Aleport in Western La Noscea. There are some level 15 quests and one of the earlier dungeons to unlock.

I went to Aleport in Western La Noscea. There are some level 15 quests and one of the earlier dungeons to unlock.

Yeah, it's true. What I did upon first entering Limsa Lominsa after starting in Gridania is changing to a second class. Started out as a Lancer, now I'm levelling Marauder with the low level quests around the city. When he's up to 15 (Dragoon requirement) I switch back to Lancer for Aleport quests and beyond.

No. I frequently pass up those low-level quests. If it's a really low level, I tend not to even look at its rewards. If it's within a few levels of me, I'll take a look at its rewards, but if it's not decent I'll pass it up. There's way too much stuff to do than have yourself do boring low level quests.

Limsa and Ul'dah are the two other starting areas, so you'll see lots of low-level quests in the cities there. Don't worry about it.

hamchan

Just finished the 2.55 content, about to enter Heavensward stuff now.

Storyline wise, if I wasn't such a hero I would have peaced out of Eorzea and leave these useless fools to die. The Empire is right, how do I join them.

fedexpeon

Banned
Just finished the 2.55 content, about to enter Heavensward stuff now.

Storyline wise, if I wasn't such a hero I would have peaced out of Eorzea and leave these useless fools to die. The Empire is right, how do I join them.

You are a fool and a tool, and not so much of a hero.
HW storyline will make you wish even harder that you could've joined The Empire and became a Judge to pass judgment on these Eorzean fools that have no respect for the land and the growing danger from Primal worshipers.
The Empire has been right from Day 1 for the greater good of the Realm.

Ferr986

You are a fool and a tool, and not so much of a hero.
HW storyline will make you wish even harder that you could've joined The Empire and became a Judge to pass judgment on these Eorzean fools that have no respect for the land and the growing danger from Primal worshipers.
The Empire has been right from Day 1 for the greater good of the Realm.

The Empire were fools too
they sided with an Ascian in ARR. That goes against everything the Empire represents.

Really, everyone in FFXIV are fools IMO lol

fedexpeon

Banned
The Empire were fools too
they sided with an Ascian in ARR. That goes against everything the Empire represents.

Really, everyone in FFXIV are fools IMO lol

They were forced
to because the Eorzean Allied Force delayed and prevented the Empire from completing their true goal. The Ascians were willing to help and provide knowledge for the Empire to speed up their objective.
The Eorzeans didn't want to up open a formal communication and decided that the Empire was there to steal their lands...Even after knowing the danger of the Primal, they still held grudge against the Empire.

Yeah,both sides are fools but the Empire was a lesser one and just wanted to safeguard the Realm from the start.

Ferr986

They were forced
to because the Eorzean Allied Force delayed and prevented the Empire from completing their true goal. The Ascians were willing to help and provide knowledge for the Empire to speed up their objective.
The Eorzeans didn't want to up open a formal communication and decided that the Empire was there to steal their lands...Even after knowing the danger of the Primal, they still held grudge against the Empire.

Yeah,both sides are fools but the Empire was a lesser one and just wanted to safeguard the Realm from the start.

Still, the goal of the Empire is to eliminate the Primals. And they side with the ones that created the Primal summoning?
Also, they should have know that Ascians always ends up deceiving the ones they side with.

I understand the Eorzean not wanting to be involved with the Empire. For all the good ideas they may have, they just bring suffer to the Eorzeans. Remember Ala Migho, it was invaded by force (I remember an NPC talking abouot men getting killed and women getting raped or something like that).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They were forced

They assisted
with summoning the things they hated. I mean shit they made it worse. The primals suck up more aether the stronger they get, which the empire helped out with. It didn't become a horrendous problem until the empire came. Even their plan didn't make sense. Sucking in the primals into Ultima Weapon doesn't restore the aether to the land. The empire wanted to have an easy to subjugate land without any problems caused by the local population. They are just pissy they can't use magic.

So far the Empire's method of "saving the Realm" includes:

1. Dropping a moon to annihilate a whole continent.
2. Employing a weapon of mass destruction that sucks even more life energy from the land than the Primals.
3. Literal genocide over perceived potential danger.

Eorzean summoning Primals is misguided but at least they are driven by straightforward sense of survival instead of something so hypocritical.

fedexpeon

Banned
So far the Empire's method of "saving the Realm" includes:

1. Dropping a moon to annihilate a whole continent.
2. Employing a weapon of mass destruction that sucks even more life energy from the land than the Primals.
3. Literal genocide over perceived potential danger.

Eorzean summoning Primals is misguided but at least they are driven by straightforward sense of survival instead of something so hypocritical.

1-2 could have been prevented if the Eorzean didn't interfere. Bahamut's rampage would probably going to happen soon or later. Hearing and seeing the strength of these dragons in HW, it is possible that they can free Bahamut or he can free himself after his sleep.

3. What genocide? It was just a war like every other wars that the two forces had fought in the past.

The only good thing out of all of this was that it showed the Eorzean how dangerous Primal can be and the need of an united alliance.

Someone needed to push the agenda and awareness, and The Empire played its role well. Some sacrifices were made to get to this point, but in the end, the threat of Bahamut, the remaining old dragons and Primals in HW didn't cause further harm to the Realm.

But seriously, what would happen if the Empire didn't start these chain of events?
I don't even want to know. Maybe those lalafel underground merchants and their corruption would spread across all of the city-states, and the Primals and their worshipers will start a bigger war and threat so these lalafels can sell more weapons.
That would be my conclusion if the Empire didn't play their role as a common enemy for the city-states to act together.

Ferr986

1-2 could have been prevented if the Eorzean didn't interfere. Bahamut's rampage would probably going to happen soon or later. Hearing and seeing the strength of these dragons in HW, it is possible that they can free Bahamut or he can free himself after his sleep.

3. What genocide? It was just a war like every other wars that the two forces had fought in the past.

The only good thing out of all of this was that it showed the Eorzean how dangerous Primal can be and the need of an united alliance.

Someone needed to push the agenda and awareness, and The Empire played its role well. Some sacrifices were made to get to this point, but in the end, the threat of Bahamut, the remaining old dragons and Primals in HW didn't cause further harm to the Realm.

But seriously, what would happen if the Empire didn't start these chain of events?
I don't even want to know. Maybe those lalafel underground merchants and their corruption would spread across all of the city-states, and the Primals and their worshipers will start a bigger war and threat so these lalafels can sell more weapons.
That would be my conclusion if the Empire didn't play their role as a common enemy for the city-states to act together.

Bahamut would have never escaped. He wasn't sleeping, he was trapped inside alive and awake. Allagans outdid him.

Also, it was not a war, it was a plain invasion. If Garleans wanted to erradicate the Primals then fine, but invading the Eorzean states and killing its inhabitants does nothing to that goal. Garleans wants to eliminate Primals, fine, but they also want to rule all over the world, Allagan style.

Although the Scions are a lame group, they are the ones doing more to erradicate Primals. After all Primals are (so far) weak lol.

Also, if Garleans REALLY wants to erradicate the Primals, then go against the Ascians. They're the ones teaching to summon Primals everywhere. But no, they just side with them and fuck everything up even more with the Allagan Weapons like Ultima.

I could side with the Garleans if they weren't such hypocrites.

TheYanger

Finished 2.3 so far. Well over 12 hours into this stuff.
But now my dilemma is whether I want to use my fantasia potion from ages ago or not.

I like that my toon is a female Roegadyn, and most of the time I really like the way she looks
HPM2XAx.png

But...sometime she looks absolutely fucking awful

I'm not sure what to do Gaf T_T

I think we can all agree that Ul'dah is the fucking worst place to live. Like holy shit the fact that that place hasn't fucking collapsed in on itself is shocking.

Eldren

But now my dilemma is whether I want to use my fantasia potion from ages ago or not.

I like that my toon is a female Roegadyn, and most of the time I really like the way she looks

There aren't enough of us FemRoes so stay as you are. If you absolutely have to change, a female Elezen is also acceptable. A catgirl, dragongirl or potatogirl is not. Don't listen to the heathens who say otherwise.

-----

I hit 59 last night, finally unlocked tier 3 hunts and reached Idyllshire. The Dravanian Hinterlands are gorgeous, I'm really looking forward to exploring.

I think we can all agree that Ul'dah is the fucking worst place to live. Like holy shit the fact that that place hasn't fucking collapsed in on itself is shocking.

Ul'dah is my least favourite of the 3 starting cities, not only for that reason but also I never got on with the concentric circles layout. I have Limsa as my home because I joined Maelstrom but I think Gridania is probably my favourite. I like the layout and the Carline Canopy always felt really homely for an adventurer's guild.

TheYanger

Whoever decided that Recruiting the Realm quest was a good idea should be demoted to toilet cleaner, goddamn.

Yeah I just did that one. Was like "Ok I did Ramuh, I'm almost done with this section, I'll finish the patch story before I go to bed"....then that bullshit, it took like another hour -_-

Not allowed to say "toon" around here. Get out!

Also with the complaints of gating the Heavensward content, this is only FFXIV's first expansion. People keep comparing it to WoW's later expansions which isn't really fair.

Yeah I just did that one. Was like "Ok I did Ramuh, I'm almost done with this section, I'll finish the patch story before I go to bed"....then that bullshit, it took like another hour -_-

It has to be one of the worst quests I've had the displeasure of doing in any MMO I've played.

Omni

Can anyone help me? I'm doing a main quest in the base game called "History Repeating". I'm stuck on a beach and waves of enemies spawn. And then these bubble things which explode and take like 200HP. You're given brass earplugs but I can't seem to use them. This quest is really starting to annoy me. There's literally nowhere to go?!

Am I missing something?

hythloday

Can anyone help me? I'm doing a main quest in the base game called "History Repeating". I'm stuck on a beach and waves of enemies spawn. And then these bubble things which explode and take like 200HP. You're given brass earplugs but I can't seem to use them. This quest is really starting to annoy me. There's literally nowhere to go?!

Am I missing something?

From what I remember that part was a royal pain in the ass. You just have to keep running away from the bubbles while killing the other enemies. The earplugs are just flavor, I think. I don't remember equipping anything. I think I read you can pull stuff to the corner to avoid bubbles, but I managed it just running around and hitting from range (as a bard, or archer if I wasn't a bard yet - don't remember what level that quest is.)

Ok. So it will have the xbox one button prompts and shit on screen instead of PS4?

Yes there's an option to have Xbox controller prompts instead of the DS4 prompts.

Am I missing something?

Had to look it up on youtube since I didn't remember, you just need to avoid the bubbles. The fast moving bubbles follow a set path, so just get out of the way(seems they circle the area and they also go across the middle around where the bonfire is) and kill stuff.

Ul'dah is my least favourite of the 3 starting cities, not only for that reason but also I never got on with the concentric circles layout. I have Limsa as my home because I joined Maelstrom but I think Gridania is probably my favourite. I like the layout and the Carline Canopy always felt really homely for an adventurer's guild.
I made Gridania my home because it is easily my favorite of the three and it is very easy to get around in as well compared to the others. Though Ishgard is a close second despite being huge as well.

Omni

From what I remember that part was a royal pain in the ass. You just have to keep running away from the bubbles while killing the other enemies. The earplugs are just flavor, I think. I don't remember equipping anything. I think I read you can pull stuff to the corner to avoid bubbles, but I managed it just running around and hitting from range (as a bard, or archer if I wasn't a bard yet - don't remember what level that quest is.)

Had to look it up on youtube since I didn't remember, you just need to avoid the bubbles. The fast moving bubbles follow a set path, so just get out of the way(seems they circle the area and they also go across the middle around where the bonfire is) and kill stuff.

I think I died so much on this quest that it gave me a boost. I had about 10% more HP than I usually do and I managed to beat it. I dunno! Thanks guys. Easily the most frustrating quest I've done so far >.>

Bittercup

Maybe switch the character lighting back on? It's under system configuration -> display settings.
Characters usually had an invisible light source in front of them. Now with Heavensward this is disabled by default. Increasing the slider should remove the shadows from her face and she should look like in the cutscene.
I wouldn't use a fantasia. I like how your character looks.

Pollux

Yes there's an option to have Xbox controller prompts instead of the DS4 prompts
Awesome. Thanks. That was the last thing keeping me back from resubbing. I love the game but I hate the keyboard and mouse.

Never got past lvl 30 bc of that. So this should help

Gonna resub after I finish The Witcher 3

Stupid-ass amateur question, but I've gotta ask; I just completed the main OG questline and my level/XP has stopped - got a little 'block' symbol next to it. When do I gain XP again? Do I have to buy Heavensward? It's bugging me that I'm doing shit for no gain. Also, any general tips for what I should be doing post Lv.50? I guess farming for better equipment, but I can carry on doing story stuff, right? Been doing beast dailies because I want to ditch my chocobo and get some crazy mount options, like that one with the Bombs. This is my first MMO and it's been like learning another damn language, had a fantastic time with it though! ^^

linid0t

Question regarding scholar/summoner:

The allocated stats make up a very minimal amount of total output, right? So can I just dump half in intelligence and half in mind, and I'll only be a little suboptimal? Or should I use that item that lets me restat every time I want to switch?

don't be like the other turncoats. the lighting does bad things to every race in this game. it's not your fault. your char looks good imo.

ShinZed

Stupid-ass amateur question, but I've gotta ask; I just completed the main OG questline and my level/XP has stopped - got a little 'block' symbol next to it. When do I gain XP again? Do I have to buy Heavensward? It's bugging me that I'm doing shit for no gain. Also, any general tips for what I should be doing post Lv.50? I guess farming for better equipment, but I can carry on doing story stuff, right? Been doing beast dailies because I want to ditch my chocobo and get some crazy mount options, like that one with the Bombs. This is my first MMO and it's been like learning another damn language, had a fantastic time with it though! ^^
You have to buy Heavensward to be able to continue to accrue exp. I just hit 50 myself, halfway to 51 and about to do Castrum Meridianum.

You have to buy Heavensward to be able to continue to accrue exp. I just hit 50 myself, halfway to 51 and about to do Castrum Meridianum.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the quick response. Can't really afford HW right now so I wonder of I should carry on playing. Question is, could I bring myself to stop? ;)

dramatis

Ah, I see. Thanks for the quick response. Can't really afford HW right now so I wonder of I should carry on playing. Question is, could I bring myself to stop? ;)
It's not too bad. If you accumulate higher item level gear, you can actually carry on using that gear in Heavensward later and it might be better than some of the stuff you get as rewards from Heavensward main scenario quests. I wore a lot of item level 130 gear that I was able to use until I was level 55 before better options came up.

There's plenty of content to do at level 50 even without being in Heavensward.

Question regarding scholar/summoner:

The allocated stats make up a very minimal amount of total output, right? So can I just dump half in intelligence and half in mind, and I'll only be a little suboptimal? Or should I use that item that lets me restat every time I want to switch?
it is entirely up to you. isn't like anyone will know your stats. Sure you'll be a little sub-optimal but ehhh.

I personally bought 80 keeper's hymm so I could switch back and forth. Gotta do something with all these seals.

Caj814

Case of the ole Two Face?
SYzOogV.gif

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
At this point, I think the XIV team will be changing things up when the next expansion hits so people can just "jump in." However, asking them to go back, spend development resources to "trim the fat" in 2.1-2.55 is something I'm not personally going to ask them to because it seems like they are stretched thin enough and we need content going forwards, not backwards.

What does one consider "the fat"? Fetch quests? Kill quests? Depending who you ask, the entire story is "the fat." They could pull a Blizzard and "who gives a fuck, here's a free 50" but I don't think they want to toss away their work like that. If they do, why not just give the story in a big CS and let you just grind everything from the get go? =P

suzu

Raise the character lighting under system config --> display settings.

Ferr986

I feel like an idiot but seems like i can't understand this Collectables stuff for gathering. Just got the item I was required from the unspoiled node but turns out it's not valid.

I feel like I should keep doing leves.

Top Bottom