• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Finished 2.3 so far. Well over 12 hours into this stuff.
But now my dilemma is whether I want to use my fantasia potion from ages ago or not.

I like that my toon is a female Roegadyn, and most of the time I really like the way she looks

But...sometime she looks absolutely fucking awful

I'm not sure what to do Gaf T_T

I think she looks fine. Did you visit the aestitician?

dramatis

I feel like an idiot but seems like i can't understand this Collectables stuff for gathering. Just got the item I was required from the unspoiled node but turns out it's not valid.

I feel like I should keep doing leves.
If you learn how to do Collectables, the exp gain is crazy.
TnSj1N6.jpg

If you're part of Ultros GAF, I made an overly detailed post about how to do it.

If not, I can probably try to explain as simply as I can. We're talking about some 360k exp per hour for very little effort here. If you get lucky you can get 600k per hour lol. Amongst all classes, gatherers are unquestionably the easiest to level in expansion.

Ferr986

TnSj1N6.jpg

If you're part of Ultros GAF, I made an overly detailed post about how to do it.

If not, I can probably try to explain as simply as I can. We're talking about some 360k exp per hour for very little effort here. If you get lucky you can get 600k per hour lol. Amongst all classes, gatherers are unquestionably the easiest to level in expansion.

Fuck me, that pic looks nice lol

I'm not from the FC, I'm at Ragnarok actually. Looking at guides right now and I'll give it a try again.

scy

Fuck me, that pic looks nice lol

I'm not from the FC, I'm at Ragnarok actually. Looking at guides right now and I'll give it a try again.

Basically, turn on Collector's Glove and go to gather the item to bring up the new Collectable window. You'll then use Methodical Appraisal until you get to 30/30 Wear or 240+ Rarity (the minimum for the two starting items to be accepted as a turn-in). Then you just click collect until the node runs dry as per normal. There's more to it than that since you have other skills to make the rarity-increasing process easier (e.g., Discerning Eye lets you spend GP to increase your next Appraisal's strength). Personally, I just think of it like crafting? You increase the quality of the item through various actions and are limited by the item durability.

So, if you're doing Mining and getting Yellow Copper Ore, you'd most likely want to come in with 500+ GP. Turn on Collector's Glove, hit the node, use Toil, hit Yellow Copper Ore, use Discerning Eye + Methodical Appraisal, Methodical Appraisal, Collect / Use Methodical Appraisal if not at 240+ Rarity, Collect, Collect, Collect, node runs out of HP.

tmtyf

TnSj1N6.jpg

saw you just posted info, thanks :)

Basically, turn on Collector's Glove and go to gather the item to bring up the new Collectable window. You'll then use Methodical Appraisal until you get to 30/30 Wear or 240+ Rarity (the minimum for the two starting items to be accepted as a turn-in). Then you just click collect until the node runs dry as per normal. There's more to it than that since you have other skills to make the rarity-increasing process easier (e.g., Discerning Eye lets you spend GP to increase your next Appraisal's strength). Personally, I just think of it like crafting? You increase the quality of the item through various actions and are limited by the item durability.

So, if you're doing Mining and getting Yellow Copper Ore, you'd most likely want to come in with 500+ GP. Turn on Collector's Glove, hit the node, use Toil, hit Yellow Copper Ore, use Discerning Eye + Methodical Appraisal, Methodical Appraisal, Collect / Use Methodical Appraisal if not at 240+ Rarity, Collect, Collect, Collect, node runs out of HP.

Good to know, thanks for the tip. I thought once you reach 30/30 wear it ends the collectible gathering...

dramatis

Good to know, thanks for the tip. I thought once you reach 30/30 wear it ends the collectible gathering...
Keep in mind that as your level increases, the amount of Rarity you can get from one Appraisal action increases as well. So sometimes you don't have to max out the wear to get the base Rarity you need for the item.

But yes, most of the time you aim to stop at 30/30, not lower.

Ferr986

Thanks!. I got it now. Messed it up a little but I still got a couple of items.

Firebrand

TnSj1N6.jpg

I never bothered with collectables much on mining. The exp is nice for the little time it takes to go there and grab them and then hand in, but you level the gathering so bloody fast in HW I found it unnecessary. And well, I suck terribly at getting those high rarity ratings with multiple harvests. The scrip stuff doesn't seem worth it either as the Trailblazer gear is pretty mediocre.

The exp on crafting side isn't amazing either, but you'll need so many scrips for the tomes and whatnot I started doing that over (or in addition) to the much more rewarding GC missions. Gonna be interesting to see what the red scrips bring. I've been playing much less recently so if it's something daily / weekly to boost slowpokes that'll be nice.

dramatis

I never bothered with collectables much on mining. The exp is nice for the little time it takes to go there and grab them and then hand in, but you level the gathering so bloody fast in HW I found it unnecessary. And well, I suck terribly at getting those high rarity ratings with multiple harvests. The scrip stuff doesn't seem worth it either as the Trailblazer gear is pretty mediocre.

The exp on crafting side isn't amazing either, but you'll need so many scrips for the tomes and whatnot I started doing that over (or in addition) to the much more rewarding GC missions. Gonna be interesting to see what the red scrips bring. I've been playing much less recently so if it's something daily / weekly to boost slowpokes that'll be nice.
What you should be getting is "Rowena's Token (Gathering)" from scrips, not the gear. You need 99 tokens for one tome to reveal additional gathering nodes, and there are 3 tomes each for miner and botanist. There are guides with rotations that help you do better at harvesting the highest-level collectables.

Sure, gathering leves are generous, but you're doing a lot more work to get the same amount of exp you get simply for showing up at the collectable nodes. The key isn't to get collectables at the level you are at, it's to gathering more collectables at the level 50 nodes because the exp from one additional 50 collectable is just that much more.

I might be able to get 2 collectables from a lvl 53 item for 70k exp each (140k total).
But by that time I can get 5 collectables from a lvl 50 item for 60k exp each (300k total).

That's the difference in total exp gain per half hour. Plus the nodes for BTN and MIN pop at close enough times that I can level both of them at the same time without expending loads of leves on each. Obviously the optimal path is to mix in leves when you're not legging it to the collectables, but collectables when done decently provides an immense value for leveling.

Teletraan1

Banned
I can see people complaining about the story quests but (as others have pointed out) if you have never done the dungeon before then it's not really old content to you is it?

No it is content that I am going to end up playing anyway. It is just arbitrarily gating current content rewards behind a no reward 16+ hour slog. I was going to end up in these dungeons at some point doing HLDR anyway. I could see unlocking the dungeons in your DF through those quests but the requirement is nonsense. It doesn't seem to exist for Trials. The amount of no reward content is far too much for casual players and people who just started playing. If you could only put in 15-20 hours a week this shit would take up your whole week plus. For what purpose? So people who ran this to death can /smug you now for having to go through it?

Valor

I never bothered with collectables much on mining. The exp is nice for the little time it takes to go there and grab them and then hand in, but you level the gathering so bloody fast in HW I found it unnecessary.
Yeah but you're spending a shitload of time getting less exp than if you just did collectables whenever they're up. Plus you're burning leves on gathering when they aren't exactly needed. I used leves as supplemental exp during down time in my collectable rotation. Also the Trailblazer set is more than good enough to do all sorts of high level gathering, and it's essentially free. It's only not as good as the crafted level 60 set. I'd rather use a free-no-need-to-meld-set while saving up towards a set of gear that's worthwhile to meld that you'll get mileage out of.

The key isn't to get collectables at the level you are at, it's to gathering more collectables at the level 50 nodes because the exp from one additional 50 collectable is just that much more.

I might be able to get 2 collectables from a lvl 53 item for 70k exp each (140k total).
But by that time I can get 5 collectables from a lvl 50 item for 60k exp each (300k total).
I'm gonna assume this is what you're getting per discipline while leveling and not just on one.

I focused on BTN to 60 then MIN to 60, and it's useful to hit every collectable. I imagine the point of this is to say that you don't only collect from your highest nodes, which is pretty true. You should be hitting every single node you have available to you every time that they're up. Even if you only get one thing out of it, it's still a ton of exp, especially if it's close to your level. I wouldn't wanna Sosul it up and just mine the level 50 node for collectables from 51-60.

The only thing becomes when nodes share the same timer. Then you should say goodbye to the lower level node and focus only on the higher level node, since they typically award scrips as well as exp. I'd rather get less exp over time while accumulating more scrips.

But yeah, I wouldn't necessarily recommend smacking the shit out of 50 nodes to get more exp, because once you graduate to 56+ nodes the notion of quantity > quality becomes silly to the tune of 2:1+ in terms of exp.

Ferr986

Holy shit you guys weren't kidding, now that I understand the collectables stuff, I'm leveling hella fast. Hell, I was 50 3 hours ago and now I'm 54 close to 55 (taking into account I missed two rounds of collectables because I didn't even know wtf I was doing).

I'm burning though my leves though (I had 100 allowances). Fucked it up trying one of the 10 allowances leves, they're a waste...

Alright got my second set of 60s in SCH/SMN.

Don't have to worry about SCH gear since I already have my AST at 60. Bought over 80 Keeper's Hymm's so I can switch between SCH and SMN and not have any stat loss.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm glad it's finally over.

So yesterday I was playing with my Conjurer (that's right I didn't even bother to make it a White Mage) to get Stoneskin and all of my last few runs in Haukke Manor/Brayflox's Longstop all involved having to deal with a DKNs who are taking their "Baby steps" with their Job and I wiped quite a few times because the tanks didn't have a Handheld on their Job.

I didnt run into many MCHs but there are was this odd one that was only wearing 4 pieces of Armor and only 2 Accessories so I told him that at the very least to go to the Southshroud Camp Tranquil to buy himself some Toadskin Gear off the NPC.

I can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to deal with Brand New Players if the add a "skip" Button to new subscribers in 4.0 so I hope that at the very least they make 3.0 mandatory for 4.0 players because if "veterans" had a jarring time playing with a Lv.30 Job from the outset than I have to wonder how lost a Brand new player that's given immediate access to a LV.50 or Lv.60 Job would feel.

Soma

leveling up Machinist at the moment (just got to 40) and man it is just not clicking for me right now. it feels really unsatisfying and looking at the later skills doesn't really excite me all that much.

on the flip-side, i come back to Bard and it feels like revisiting an old friend. even after obtaining Wanderer's Minuet and despite some clunkiness and just getting used to the new playstyle, I still find myself enjoying it quite a bit. some of the later skills seem really interesting to me (especially Iron Jaws and Sidewinder) so I think I'm just be that weirdo and continue with Bard for the meantime.

at least I have DRG to fall back on :D

fedexpeon

Banned

So yesterday I was playing with my Conjurer (that's right I didn't even bother to make it a White Mage) to get Stoneskin and all of my last few runs in Haukke Manor/Brayflox's Longstop all involved having to deal with a DKNs who are taking their "Baby steps" with their Job and I wiped quite a few times because the tanks didn't have a Handheld on their Job.

I didnt run into many MCHs but there are was this odd one that was only wearing 4 pieces of Armor and only 2 Accessories so I told him that at the very least to go to the Southshroud Camp Tranquil to buy himself some Toadskin Gear off the NPC.

I can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to deal with Brand New Players if the add a "skip" Button to new subscribers in 4.0 so I hope that at the very least they make 3.0 mandatory for 4.0 players because if "veterans" had a jarring time playing with a Lv.30 Job from the outset than I have to wonder how lost a Brand new player that's given immediate access to a LV.50 or Lv.60 Job would feel.

You are probably judging bad player playing a brand new class.
Good player will read up their skill orders and figure out how to use it within some effective level, and gradually master it within hours.
And you are talking gear anyway, not skill.
Some people don't want to buy low level gear when 30-50 is so short...Hell, I have no idea why they didn't just grind 30-50 in a fate group instead. Just follow someone and leech from the other 7 people.
So in the end, there is still no point in gating for 4.0.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If you understand the basics of the game you'll have no trouble picking up any of the Extra Jobs since at the end of the day the concept is similar to other jobs in those roles. Bads are gonna be bads.

Spent the weekend getting Marauder up to 15 and Pugilist up to 12, for the Dragoon requirement and some cool secondary skills. Kind of grind-y for sure... but now my Lancer is decked out pretty nicely! And finished up Sastasha.

Also met fellow GAF-players at the GAF house for the first time, got a free spear and free fashion advice. Thanks <3

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I just got swiftcast myself and didn't run into any issues with parties and clearing content.

Swiftcast requires you to get to Lv.26 on a Thaumaturge while Stoneskin requires you to get to Lv.34 on a Conjurer/White Mage. The Heavensward Jobs start at Lv.30 so therefore you wouldn't run into many players who are trying those Jobs for the first time in anything below Haukke Manor (Which requires a minimum Lv.28 to enter) so your scenario is not comparable to mine.

So in the end, there is still no point in gating for 4.0.

The way I see it there's going to be 2 benefits for gating 4.0 in my opinion:
1-I wouldn't have to deal with new players who are playing an MMO for the first time or have no grasp of their Job.

2-By gating the content Square-Enix is extending the "Play Time" of a new players and therefore they may be able to squeeze an extra month or two out of a new player (this depends on that player's gaming habits) before they even get to the new expansion so more Play Time=More Money for Square-Enix.

And some of you might go on about "But gating *might turn away returning players or new players" and quite frankly that's not any of my concern.The community is self sustained at this point (There are enough players around in order for me to have fun with the game) and if the community grows than good for Square-Enix's profits but if it doesn't oh well no skin off my nose.

*Neither you or I have any sort of significant proof that would solidified the idea that the gating in 3.0 caused a substantial amount of players from not bothering with the game.

You're complaining about others when you went to Brayflox as a Conjurer

Xion_Stellar

You're complaining about others when you went to Brayflox as a Conjurer

The main issue I had with them was not keeping them alive but not being able to hold aggro away from other DPS or me and there's only so many times I can revive someone before I run out of MP and we wipe anyways.

Firebrand

What you should be getting is "Rowena's Token (Gathering)" from scrips, not the gear. You need 99 tokens for one tome to reveal additional gathering nodes, and there are 3 tomes each for miner and botanist. There are guides with rotations that help you do better at harvesting the highest-level collectables.

Sure, gathering leves are generous, but you're doing a lot more work to get the same amount of exp you get simply for showing up at the collectable nodes. The key isn't to get collectables at the level you are at, it's to gathering more collectables at the level 50 nodes because the exp from one additional 50 collectable is just that much more.

That's the difference in total exp gain per half hour. Plus the nodes for BTN and MIN pop at close enough times that I can level both of them at the same time without expending loads of leves on each. Obviously the optimal path is to mix in leves when you're not legging it to the collectables, but collectables when done decently provides an immense value for leveling.
Ah, I see. Exp isn't very interesting as I'm almost 60 with both BTN/MIN, but I'll keep it mind for FSH if I ever bother with that over 50.

That Rowena's Token stuff though, is that ever explained in the game? I had no idea that's how that stuff worked. I haven't seen these tomes either, but I also havent done the 60 miner quests yet because of the super high HQ requirement, trying to get my LTW tome first and deck out that gear with materia.

Ken

30 DRKs being bad is just non-tanks trying to pick up tanking, which is whatever? Good on them for trying new roles? I don't really know if you need a build up to learning that you have a 1-2-3, ranged pull, and AoE threat move.

If you could only pick up DRK if you had a 50 tank then yeah, maybe there's some discussion to be had.

The main issue I had with them was not keeping them alive but not being able to hold aggro away from other DPS or me and there's only so many times I can revive someone before I run out of MP and we wipe anyways.

You were able to play your role (I guess?) while cutting corners, they apparently weren't

30 DRKs being bad is just non-tanks trying to pick up tanking, which is whatever? Good on them for trying new roles?

If you could only pick up DRK if you had a 50 tank then yeah, maybe there's some discussion to be had.

Bad players will still be bad at 50, especially if they have friends or FCs to carry them

Frumix

Suffering From Success
30 DRKs being bad is just non-tanks trying to pick up tanking, which is whatever? Good on them for trying new roles?

Is there? Had a guy in Dzemael Darkhold the other day who had every class to 50 and he didn't know to pull the things into the light.

Xion_Stellar

30 DRKs being bad is just non-tanks trying to pick up tanking, which is whatever? Good on them for trying new roles? I don't really know if you need a build up to learning that you have a 1-2-3, ranged pull, and AoE threat move.

Perhaps I just got unlucky and I got to play with players who were trying out Tanking for the first time as a DKN which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing but I just wish they practiced with the Job some more before jumping on a dungeon because it wasn't pleasant to deal with. I was in their shoes too since I picked up the Astrologian as my 1st Healer Job but it wasn't until I got to Lv.32 that I finally decided to jump on a dungeon because I wanted to make sure I had a full understanding of the Job and the role I had because otherwise it would be pretty apparent to other players if I didn't onced I jumped inside a dungeon.

Bad players at 30 have 20 levels to learn and improve.

Such elitism here.

It's not elitism, it's reality. When I say bad I'm not talking about optimized rotations, I'm talking about general skills like reaction and observation, having at least the NQ store gear for your level, listening to advice on mechanics, actually using your buffs/debuffs, etc.

As mentioned above, there are numerous 50/60 players who are deficient in these areas, largely because they've been able to get away with it. They need to make dungeon xp more lucrative

Ochibi

I think he means you went to Brayflox as a Conjurer, not a White Mage. Also, tanking before getting Aggro skills such as Oaths for Paladin or other skills from Warrior/DK is very hard (lvl 40?)

Nah, siding with elitism. Help people out, don't have an attitude and be a dick about advice either. If they don't take the advice well, leave or tough it up.

It's a fucking 30 dungeon. Being a dick player is also a bad player in my book.

And to sound less like an ass, when I get bad players in low level dungeons I look at it humorously. It makes revisiting those easy dungeons a little more entertaining and gives me a little story to tell for 5 minutes.

Also something else I've noticed is when I'm leveling a new job and wearing my super fancy "I'm a level 60 stud" HQ/rare/GC gear. I often pull hate off of any tank just doing a basic rotation. It happens, you adjust and deal with it or grow up and move on with your life.

Swiftcast requires you to get to Lv.26 on a Thaumaturge while Stoneskin requires you to get to Lv.34 on a Conjurer/White Mage. The Heavensward Jobs start at Lv.30 so therefore you wouldn't run into many players who are trying those Jobs for the first time in anything below Haukke Manor (Which requires a minimum Lv.28 to enter) so your scenario is not comparable to mine.

Sorry I got those confused. I'm rolling SCH so I just did both, apologies.

Hey all, looking to get back into ARR because two of my friends wanna check out the Trial version on the PS4. I noticed a message on login screen's Special Notice section about upgrading from the Trial version being suspended. Does that mean if my friends enjoy their experience and want to upgrade to the full version, they won't be able to transfer progress?

I think he means you went to Brayflox as a Conjurer, not a White Mage. Also, tanking before getting Aggro skills such as Oaths for Paladin or other skills from Warrior/DK is very hard (lvl 40?)

Only paladins get Shield Oath at 40. Both DRK and WAR get their tanking stance at 30, and it's mindnumbingly easy to hold aggro with those 2 classes, you can literally Overpower/Unmend(Unleash?) twice and go afk if your weapon is of a decent level, or you might have to use 3 or 4 times otherwise. That is it. For bosses, you probably want to keep playing(I mean, for everything but still), and you just kinda 1 2 3 your threat combo over and over and you're good to go.

Using cooldowns, using OGCDs, using mp management(on DRK) or maim combos(WAR) is absolutely not needed to do a perfect fine dungeon clear. All you're required to do is to hit every monsters a few times with your aoes, and hit boss over and over with your main combo. Now if your healer sucks, you have to play a bit better and use cooldowns and such, and if you want to clear faster you can optimize your damage output a lot, but for basic tanking, it's really really easy.

For paladins, it's a bit rougher, but it uses exactly the same principles, you just need to hit more. Flash for aoe, Halone combo for bosses, and that's about it. Paladin doesn't even have other options anyway, so it's fairly straightforward for them.

Hi! First time player.

So I got the digital PS4 version of the combi pack today - main game plus Heavensward - and I'm trying to get it all set up. Here's the thing, though: Square Enix keeps giving me password invalid messages. Even though every time I enter it, after numerous password resets, it's correct, both the main password and one time pass.

And this isn't my first time experiencing these issues. When I got the PS3 version of ARR last year for dirt cheap, I tried getting these sorted every few months, but it would keep tripping me up that by the time I did manage to get it figured out on PS3 (can't remember how), the registration code for the game was invalid.

Yet it was perfectly fine when I was playing the betas on PS3 and PS4.

Any help. Please? I'm UK if it makes any difference.

Kitoro

So I've been cursing my laptop's wireless card for the lag spikes I've been having when I play at night, making bosses impossible to survive, and now I find out it's been the fault of Verizon FiOS throttling the XIV servers since they're the same types of servers that Netflix uses.

I've been recommended by fellow throttles FiOS users to download WTFast for $10 a month, which will fix the issue. Going to call Verizon and demand they drop my bill $10 a month to compensate, as I upgraded to a rip-off $99 bandwidth level in hoping that would fix the problem before I knew they were the problem.

Screw Verizon.

Top Bottom