• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

kvk1

So I've been cursing my laptop's wireless card for the lag spikes I've been having when I play at night, making bosses impossible to survive, and now I find out it's been the fault of Verizon FiOS throttling the XIV servers since they're the same types of servers that Netflix uses.

I've been recommended by fellow throttles FiOS users to download WTFast for $10 a month, which will fix the issue. Going to call Verizon and demand they drop my bill $10 a month to compensate, as I upgraded to a rip-off $99 bandwidth level in hoping that would fix the problem before I knew they were the problem.

Screw Verizon.

I have FIOS and the same lag/packet loss issues with this game. Only way it's playable during peak hours is through a VPN.

Though from what I understand it's not really a question of Verizon throttling you, but rather their poor routing to the NA servers located in Montreal.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just got this on PS4.. why the fuck does SE make logging in so goddamned hard.

Apparently because I played the beta it seems I can't use my old SE account because it says I used the trial already.. I swear I never used one for ARR, but whatever.. so I made a new account with a different e-mail online.

..but the fucking launcher acts like it doesn't exist.

What do I do?

Just wait?

IvorB

So a short while ago I returned my launch PS4 to Amazon for a refund due to multiple issues (controller/blu-ray player). I probably won't replace it immediately due to having a lot of sh*t I need to focus on right now so no FF for me for a while...

A99FDC6krgiinUEFTLmSWE.jpg

Quoting this for new page as this was posted at the end of the last one.

Hi! First time player.

So I got the digital PS4 version of the combi pack today - main game plus Heavensward - and I'm trying to get it all set up. Here's the thing, though: Square Enix keeps giving me password invalid messages. Even though every time I enter it, after numerous password resets, it's correct, both the main password and one time pass.

And this isn't my first time experiencing these issues. When I got the PS3 version of ARR last year for dirt cheap, I tried getting these sorted every few months, but it would keep tripping me up that by the time I did manage to get it figured out on PS3 (can't remember how), the registration code for the game was invalid.

Yet it was perfectly fine when I was playing the betas on PS3 and PS4.

Any help. Please? I'm UK if it makes any difference.

suzu

Just got this on PS4.. why the fuck does SE make logging in so goddamned hard.

Apparently because I played the beta it seems I can't use my old SE account because it says I used the trial already.. I swear I never used one for ARR, but whatever.. so I made a new account with a different e-mail online.

..but the fucking launcher acts like it doesn't exist.

What do I do?

Just wait?

Are you putting in the SE ID (not the email)? Leave the one time password blank if you don't have an authenticator.

Quoting this for new page as this was posted at the end of the last one.

Are you putting in the new one time password every time you try to login?

Aselith

No it is content that I am going to end up playing anyway. It is just arbitrarily gating current content rewards behind a no reward 16+ hour slog. I was going to end up in these dungeons at some point doing HLDR anyway. I could see unlocking the dungeons in your DF through those quests but the requirement is nonsense. It doesn't seem to exist for Trials. The amount of no reward content is far too much for casual players and people who just started playing. If you could only put in 15-20 hours a week this shit would take up your whole week plus. For what purpose? So people who ran this to death can /smug you now for having to go through it?

You have to finish them before they go into the Duty Finder

Rising_Hei

Do people really complain about how lvl 56 and 60 drg's skill works? I find it to be pretty entertaining and challenging :) have to pay much more attention and change your rotation on the go depending on how many seconds of blood you get with the fang skill

Arkeband

Banned
Just been looking at today's threads in /r/ffxiv, and holy crap has that community become whiny.

Do you mind elaborating? Historically the subreddit is all about embracing play-your-way-at-everyone-else's-expense and circlejerk threads that are TOTALLY not just fishing for upvotes with "Spent 1 hour in the game and I daresay I LOVE this community!" and commission artwork of really cringey How To Draw Anime 101 FFXIV edition submissions.

But all I see is something about learning to play your role isn't elitism which is true, but I guess in some backwards universe that's whiney.

dramatis

Hi! First time player.

So I got the digital PS4 version of the combi pack today - main game plus Heavensward - and I'm trying to get it all set up. Here's the thing, though: Square Enix keeps giving me password invalid messages. Even though every time I enter it, after numerous password resets, it's correct, both the main password and one time pass.

And this isn't my first time experiencing these issues. When I got the PS3 version of ARR last year for dirt cheap, I tried getting these sorted every few months, but it would keep tripping me up that by the time I did manage to get it figured out on PS3 (can't remember how), the registration code for the game was invalid.

Yet it was perfectly fine when I was playing the betas on PS3 and PS4.

Any help. Please? I'm UK if it makes any difference.
Have you tried SE support?

Moreover, what are you entering for one time password? If you have to software token app registered to your account and everything you should use the one time password field, but if you don't then you should be leaving the one time password blank.

Your registration code doesn't just become invalid when you have digital edition. It'll work even if you have trouble logging in, because PSN handles it.

So a short while ago I returned my launch PS4 to Amazon for a refund due to multiple issues (controller/blu-ray player). I probably won't replace it immediately due to having a lot of sh*t I need to focus on right now so no FF for me for a while...
You're welcome to return whenever, don't be sad lol

Arkeband

Banned
Do people really complain about how lvl 56 and 60 drg's skill works? I find it to be pretty entertaining and challenging :) have to pay much more attention and change your rotation on the go depending on how many seconds of blood you get with the fang skill

The drg's with a legitimate complaint are pointing out the enormous gulf between hitting the positional and not hitting it. When the math starts to skew toward "skipping it would have been better" the potency needs to be tweaked.

The lack of UI support for making buffs and debuffs easier to track (BotD juggling) is an annoyance but seems to be a bigger complaint from WoW players who have seen modding nirvana and know what it could be like.

Have you tried SE support?

Moreover, what are you entering for one time password? If you have to software token app registered to your account and everything you should use the one time password field, but if you don't then you should be leaving the one time password blank.

Your registration code doesn't just become invalid when you have digital edition. It'll work even if you have trouble logging in, because PSN handles it.

You're welcome to return whenever, don't be sad lol

Ah, got it fixed. Well, the account stuff anyways. Just registered the game to the account anyhow. Cheers, friend.

MogCakes

Has the required level/ilvl for retainers gone up for finding pure white and jet black dyes? I have gotten nothing since HW released.

Zomba13

Has the required level/ilvl for retainers gone up for finding pure white and jet black dyes? I have gotten nothing since HW released.

To me it seems like having a lvl 60 retainer in ilvl160+ has around the same odds of getting "the good stuff" as lvl 50 ilvl 110 or whatever I had them at.

Pyramidbread

Neo Member
Do you mind elaborating? Historically the subreddit is all about embracing play-your-way-at-everyone-else's-expense and circlejerk threads that are TOTALLY not just fishing for upvotes with "Spent 1 hour in the game and I daresay I LOVE this community!" and commission artwork of really cringey How To Draw Anime 101 FFXIV edition submissions.

But all I see is something about learning to play your role isn't elitism which is true, but I guess in some backwards universe that's whiney.

I'm not on about that thread, I'm on about the endless "I just had the worst DF party and I was in no way part of the terribleness" stories. It's like everytime someone messes up in the game the first thing they do is head to the subreddit to post how terrible their experience was. I've had my fair share of terrible parties, I just shrug it off and move on.

About that thread about reading up on fights before doing them, I agree, that being said, I usually do them on day one when reading up on them isnt an option, I didn't do Binding Coil on day one though, but when I did I made sure I knew what I was doing. I think generally though, normal dungeons and trials can be done without too much preparation.

Zomba13

Is Darkside broken? I'm still getting MP regen even though I have it on....

When out of battle the natural MP regen is greater than the cost of Darkside. In battle the cost of Darkside is greater than the MP regen.

It might also still be a little broken where any buff/debuff going on/off of you will take the tic of MP right away leading to MP potentially running out faster than it should (really depends on server tick timings and amount of buffs going on/off per tick etc)

Well, beat the game earlier today. Probably the best final boss I've had to pleasure to fight in so long.
I wasn't expecting Knights of the Round to try to rip us a new one, but the music going with it kept me pumped all the way.
We didn't even wipe!

So, as a fresh 60 looks like I'll be farming law and seals for a while before I even think about EX and Alex. First I'll knock out the two extra dungeons and hope I get some decent gear out of it. I'll upgrade my weapon obviously, then some right side gear.

Though while I can buy some 150 gear from the vendor, the stats are inferior to what I have that's either HQ or from dungeons. Should I just buy some anyway before tackling the two dungeons? While item level is important it feels like I'd be somewhat gimp (and poorer)

Ala Alba

Though while I can buy some 150 gear from the vendor, the stats are inferior to what I have that's either HQ or from dungeons. Should I just buy some anyway before tackling the two dungeons? While item level is important it feels like I'd be somewhat gimp (and poorer)

The expert dungeons have a minimum ilvl of 145. If you don't meet that, you can buy some 150 gear to make up the difference. It's what I had to do.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well, beat the game earlier today. Probably the best final boss I've had to pleasure to fight in so long.
I wasn't expecting Knights of the Round to try to rip us a new one, but the music going with it kept me pumped all the way.
We didn't even wipe!

So, as a fresh 60 looks like I'll be farming law and seals for a while before I even think about EX and Alex. First I'll knock out the two extra dungeons and hope I get some decent gear out of it. I'll upgrade my weapon obviously, then some right side gear.

This is actually a good time, since Esoterics are dropping. You'll be able to get esoteric and law gear to help get your ilvl up.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Are you putting in the SE ID (not the email)? Leave the one time password blank if you don't have an authenticator.

Not sure what it was, because I made the same exact login through the game with the same damn e-mail I had just done through the website and it let me remake the the account.

Just wasn't updating, dunno.

Haven't played yet though, updates up the ass. Thanks though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

You can just change the gear back when you're actually in

We didn't even wipe!

Market board

Market board

My server market board is a joke, trust me I've looked.

The expert dungeons have a minimum ilvl of 145. If you don't meet that, you can buy some 150 gear to make up the difference. It's what I had to do.

Current ilvl is 145, a mix of 58 HQ, library drops, and one 57 dungeon neck so I'll just farm the dungeons while farming law and collecting seals.

SkyOdin

Well, beat the game earlier today.
First, congrats on beating Heavensward!

I went into the two level 60 dungeons using nothing but ilvl145 HQ gear and ilvl 148 armor from the Library. I did fine, and was able to collect ilvl 160 armor in those dungeons. So I wouldn't stress about your gear.

Teknoman

So with Windows 10 around the corner, whats the easiest way to prepare for a full upgrade XIV wise? Just copy the My Games folder elsewhere, and then drag back to Windows 10 documents once its installed?

fedexpeon

Banned
So with Windows 10 around the corner, whats the easiest way to prepare for a full upgrade XIV wise? Just copy the My Games folder elsewhere, and then drag back to Windows 10 documents once its installed?

I did that for WoW and Tera.
Just Copy/Paste from my drive.

Are you doing a clean install?

If you're doing an upgrade I dont think you need to do anything. It's been running great on Win10 for me.

Teknoman

If you're doing an upgrade I dont think you need to do anything. It's been running great on Win10 for me.

I did that for WoW and Tera.
Just Copy/Paste from my drive.

Clean install. I've got 2 hard drives though, one with XIV and steam stuff + Gog on it, and my main hdd with Windows installed and other important documents. Of course all my games save directly to the section of documents that holds game saves.

I figure everything on my second HDD will be fine, so i'm moving what might need backing up to a folder on that drive. My first drive will be the one wiped clean for a fresh install.

Tash

Oh that's good to know - doing an upgrade and really hoping it doesn't fuck anything up.
Also, omg - can't wait to get rid of Win 8 - urks.

I am back to Lala from my Au Ra..just can't resist the cute but man, armor sure looks nicer on tall races :(

Teknoman

Well honestly I haven't committed either way. I really dont feel like moving around gigs of stuff so I might just do an upgrade, especially if it works better than past upgrades.

Tash

btw - do we know if anything else but Alex Savage and new tomes are going on tomorrow? There is no word on new AF armor and weapons, right?

Also, I HATE when I accidentally close the hunt tool window on my second screen..the pain is real -.-
On that note, fantastic tool, thanks :) is there any chance to add possible locations for B-Ranks?

Dunkley

Bought Game Time again for FFXIV since a few friends of mine started playing - so I did the sensible thing and added myself to the spreadsheet and joined the Steam group.

Since I hop around between different characters to play with other people (on Excalibur and Ultros), I just added in the character I am currently on the most. I hope that works.

Ken

btw - do we know if anything else but Alex Savage and new tomes are going on tomorrow? There is no word on new AF armor and weapons, right?

Also, I HATE when I accidentally close the hunt tool window on my second screen..the pain is real -.-
On that note, fantastic tool, thanks :) is there any chance to add possible locations for B-Ranks?

New tomes will mean new armor and since there hasn't been any previews of any new armor sets it's safe to assume AF will come with the patch.

Tash

New tomes will mean new armor and since there hasn't been any previews of any new armor sets it's safe to assume AF will come with the patch.

AF has not been tome gear so far and we do not have a confirmation that AF will be tome gear, no?
Also, I would seriously hate that :/
The only confirmed new content is Alex Savage, they wouldn't add AF to Alex Savage by having to get tomes from there. Or?

Ken

AF has not been tome gear so far and we do not have a confirmation that AF will be tome gear, no?
Also, I would seriously hate that :/
The only confirmed new content is Alex Savage, they wouldn't add AF to Alex Savage by having to get tomes from there. Or?

Do you remember myth tomes?

Tash

I never said that.

Savage drops some token called Gordian Manifesto or something.

Esoteric tomes is separate.

So that means there needs to be some new content for the Esoteric with the patch, too..that's kinda what I was implying.

chiliboy

Been playing on my GLA (going Paladin) a bit, did some low level dungeons.

It really is a lot of fun tanking, it can be a bit of a challenge and oh my god I have met so many terrible DPS players. I totally understand what a lot of people are saying..

Usually they are not terrible with the damage output but inconsiderate of enmity and inconsiderate when I mark enemies. I take time with my macro to mark mobs to make it easier for us but some just ignore it and go crazy. I've even been in groups where the DPS pulls mobs and then gets angry when I struggle to regain aggro.

I'm always open about that I'm new to tanking when entering somewhere and a lot of people, often healers, are really nice to me. I've been to my wits end with some of the dps though, geez.. I have a whole new level of respect when playing with my bard, I'll be really careful with my enmity from now on!

Thankfully the majority of people I've played with have been excellent and understanding, helping me out and making me feel more comfortable with my tanking.
Had a guildhest recently for lvl 25 though where two machinists just... ruined it all. over DPS, didnt care about marks and just pulled like they wanted to. I'm glad the healer was able to carry us three because oh my god that ruined the guildhest for me!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So that means there needs to be some new content for the Esoteric with the patch, too..that's kinda what I was implying.

No? You'll get it from expert dungeons, expert roulette, and Alex NM and Savage, and the new PVP, just like it's been with all the other limited tomes before. Poetics will be no more.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
You're forgetting they decided to do a staggered release for 3.0 so people didn't feel pressured to max everything during the first weekend. We already have the content, now they're adding the rewards it would have come with at launch had they not staggered everything.

Top Bottom