• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

guavatin

Banned
Picked this game up a week ago and I've currently having a blast! Got a level 24 Marauder so far and loving the class, although it's a wee bit laggy due to being in Australia and all.

Any tips on getting into a good Free Company?

chiliboy

Picked this game up a week ago and I've currently having a blast! Got a level 24 Marauder so far and loving the class, although it's a wee bit laggy due to being in Australia and all.

Any tips on getting into a good Free Company?

Think Tonberry is unofficial oceanic server, which one are you on?
On lodestone on their website you can log in and search for Free Companies based on different criterias, really useful!

guavatin

Banned
Think Tonberry is unofficial oceanic server, which one are you on?
On lodestone on their website you can log in and search for Free Companies based on different criterias, really useful!

Oh, sweet! I'm currently on the Odin server. I'll give the lodestone a look, just really feel like getting into a nice community for once with an MMO.

So, pretty much right after hitting 60 I broke my right hand...and Im right handed.. Is there anything I can do 1 handed besides leveling gathering jobs? lol

Been playing on my GLA (going Paladin) a bit, did some low level dungeons.

It really is a lot of fun tanking, it can be a bit of a challenge and oh my god I have met so many terrible DPS players. I totally understand what a lot of people are saying..

Usually they are not terrible with the damage output but inconsiderate of enmity and inconsiderate when I mark enemies. I take time with my macro to mark mobs to make it easier for us but some just ignore it and go crazy. I've even been in groups where the DPS pulls mobs and then gets angry when I struggle to regain aggro.

I'm always open about that I'm new to tanking when entering somewhere and a lot of people, often healers, are really nice to me. I've been to my wits end with some of the dps though, geez.. I have a whole new level of respect when playing with my bard, I'll be really careful with my enmity from now on!

Thankfully the majority of people I've played with have been excellent and understanding, helping me out and making me feel more comfortable with my tanking.
Had a guildhest recently for lvl 25 though where two machinists just... ruined it all. over DPS, didnt care about marks and just pulled like they wanted to. I'm glad the healer was able to carry us three because oh my god that ruined the guildhest for me!
Because healers and tanks have an inseparable bond that cannot be broken that DPS players simply can't understand. <3

Sifl

Can anyone playing with a controller help me with a hotbar issue? I'm trying to assign skills to the hotbar when you hold down both triggers but it wont let me. You can't access it when assigning skills for whatever reason.

Ken

Can anyone playing with a controller help me with a hotbar issue? I'm trying to assign skills to the hotbar when you hold down both triggers but it wont let me. You can't access it when assigning skills for whatever reason.

You have to be on that crossbar set before you go into your menu. You can change the current crossbar set with right bumper and whichever button the set corresponds with (1-8).

Sifl

You have to be on that crossbar set before you go into your menu. You can change the current crossbar set with right bumper and whichever button the set corresponds with (1-8).
I feel stupid now, thank you for the response.

Klyka

Banned
CKWwQirWgAAy44A.png:large

Probably the best picture I have taken in this game yet.

Arkeband

Banned
So that means there needs to be some new content for the Esoteric with the patch, too..that's kinda what I was implying.

Watch out, whenever people bring up the lack of content at 60, feathers are ruffled and people start talking about how 50-60 should take three whole months and not have been finished during early access, or something.

Sorian

Banned
Watch out, whenever people bring up the lack of content at 60, feathers are ruffled and people start talking about how 50-60 should take three whole months and not have been finished during early access, or something.

I haven't seen that be brought up at all.

Lanrutcon

Like, are some people bored at 60 already? Christ, I look at how long it's going to take to get my SCH, BRD, 4 x crafting and 2x gathering classes to 60 and weep.

Omni

Probably a silly question but does the gaf free company have a house?

I kinda really want to change my Chocobo's colour and you need to use a stable thing to do it, yes? I'm not sure how it works. Suppose I'd have to change servers before doing that though... hmm. I wish it were easier! Decisions decisions.

Ken

Probably a silly question but does the gaf free company have a house?

I kinda really want to change my Chocobo's colour and you need to use a stable thing to do it, yes? I'm not sure how it works. Suppose I'd have to change servers before doing that though... hmm. I wish it were easier! Decisions decisions.

We do, though I can't imagine it too hard to join up some random big FC with a house and stable on your server.

I just wish there were more than two 60 dungeons right now for expert roulette.

what why are you awake

Omni

We do, though I can't imagine it too hard to join up some random big FC with a house and stable on your server.

That's true. I thought about it. I've only been invited into role playing FCs (which I'm not interested in) and I wouldn't want to seem rude by joining one, using their things and then leaving. I'm kinda interested in joining one permanently so the gaf one would be nice, maybe.

Anyone know how much it costs to transfer servers anyway?

Ken

That's true. I thought about it. I've only ran into role playing FCs (which I'm not interested in) and I wouldn't want to seem rude by joining one, using their things and then leaving. Plus I'm kinda interested in joining one permanently anyway.

Anyone know how much it costs to transfer servers anyway?

$18.

You could always roleplay as some wandering hobo who needs a place for him and his chocobo to spend the night before journeying off to Ishgard.

It's 9am.

Why aren't you asleep?

Soon!

I'm not sure how this esoteric set will fit in. Alex just came out so no one is full 190, and now this tome stuff will be auto-200? I guess the upgrade item for 210 might be gated behind Alex savage? If there's going to be an i200 tome weap though should I really keep farming Ravana? o_O

Rising_Hei

Well, beat the game earlier today. Probably the best final boss I've had to pleasure to fight in so long.
I wasn't expecting Knights of the Round to try to rip us a new one, but the music going with it kept me pumped all the way.
We didn't even wipe!

So, as a fresh 60 looks like I'll be farming law and seals for a while before I even think about EX and Alex. First I'll knock out the two extra dungeons and hope I get some decent gear out of it. I'll upgrade my weapon obviously, then some right side gear.

Though while I can buy some 150 gear from the vendor, the stats are inferior to what I have that's either HQ or from dungeons. Should I just buy some anyway before tackling the two dungeons? While item level is important it feels like I'd be somewhat gimp (and poorer)

Use those inferior NPC items, upton entering the instance change back to the items with less ilvl that are better

looking at official boards.....things sure turned into a shitfest on the tanking side (now general board) once the mainstream discovered strenght.

i wonder when SE decides to take that option for different builds away.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Uh, if they waited any longer that would be sorta bullshit. In 2.0 the myth AF gear was tome gear. No reason why AF2 wouldn't be esoterics.
Not questioning if its possible for AF gear to be tome gear or not. Just asking if it was confirmed, anything is possible.

iammeiam

AF2 shouldn't be Esoterics solely because I want the AST hat and suddenly have to care about buy orders.

Also quietly praying the Aiming Eso legs and chest aren't trash (If they are AF2, watch them throw bards a bone by making their secondaries awesome and MCH suck.)

looking at official boards.....things sure turned into a shitfest on the tanking side (now general board) once the mainstream discovered strenght.

This topic is relevant to my interests! Especially after this weekend where I farmed Alex/Bis(lul)/Rav as a full STR DRK with 13k hp. Here's a post from that general thread:

I cringe every time I see a DRK with 13k HP in A4. Of course two orbs instakill him before healers could react. Of course we wipe. Of course he wastes our time.
Strength tanks are egoists who don't understand the simple concept of soaking damage where only HP matters. Will their 'extra dps' help us to finish the trial faster? Of course not. But extra HP surely can.

I'm always the OT in A4 so I'm on orbs. I grab 4-5 absolutely no problem every time with 13k hp. It's about spacing out the orbs and using proper cds. So this really has nothing to do with hp, just gitting gud.

Still, I'm questioning whether STR is that big of a deal for DRK at this point. When everything is perfect I'm in 5-600dps range. Usually I'm 2-300 above the main tank, but they're all fending. Every once in a while I feel the sting from not having an extra 4k, but I also never am the main tank. I don't know..

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
My only opinion on the STR/VIT debate is that Clemency and Divine Veil should scale off the same stat and stop confusing me, and that cover should scale off the same stat somehow and block magic damage so I can chase confused healers running away from me shouting 'NO IT'S A GOOD TETHER PLEASE COME BACK I WON'T HURT YOU' in 100% more dungeons.

Valor

Maybe soon the mainstream will discover that you need to have a certain HP threshold for the encounter, then who cares.

HP only really matters if you're going to main tanking, then you want enough to help your healers keep you alive. Going full fending with the shit stat spreads they usually put on them is just silly most of the time.

I doubt they're going to take that ability away because Warrior at the very least really benefits from having slaying accessories on if they're going to MT. Dark Knight as well.

ebil

This topic is relevant to my interests! Especially after this weekend where I farmed Alex/Bis(lul)/Rav as a full STR DRK with 13k hp. Here's a post from that general thread:

I cringe every time I see a DRK with 13k HP in A4. Of course two orbs instakill him before healers could react. Of course we wipe. Of course he wastes our time.
Strength tanks are egoists who don't understand the simple concept of soaking damage where only HP matters. Will their 'extra dps' help us to finish the trial faster? Of course not. But extra HP surely can.

I'm always the OT in A4 so I'm on orbs. I grab 4-5 absolutely no problem every time with 13k hp. It's about spacing out the orbs and using proper cds. So this really has nothing to do with hp, just gitting gud.

Still, I'm questioning whether STR is that big of a deal for DRK at this point. When everything is perfect I'm in 5-600dps range. Usually I'm 2-300 above the main tank, but they're all fending. Every once in a while I feel the sting from not having an extra 4k, but I also never am the main tank. I don't know..
If you're going to tank endgame content, get both sets of accessories (or melded accs) and adapt to whatever content you're running and/or whoever you're running with. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

If you're going to tank endgame content, get both sets of accessories (or melded accs) and adapt to whatever content you're running and/or whoever you're running with. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Yeah, I have the 170 fending stuff.. I just haven't been able to keep farming seals to upgrade them all. And every single run I do, pf or df, I am always matched with a tank that has full fending. I am always the only full str tank. Sometimes I'm like.. wtf.. real life is totally different than what reddit says! Everyone is fending!

MogCakes

It's pretty simple and boring, if that's what you mean.

Tanks never grab the second Jagd. Someone always has a shitty connection. DPS is often slow. Tanks are usually in texting mode and think they can bullshit the fight by standing in place. And yeah it's boring too.

A2 is horrible.

ebil

Yeah, I have the 170 fending stuff.. I just haven't been able to keep farming seals to upgrade them all. And every single run I do, pf or df, I am always matched with a tank that has full fending. I am always the only full str tank. Sometimes I'm like.. wtf.. real life is totally different than what reddit says! Everyone is fending!
Reddit also has that weird fixation with "all STR all the time! Tank stance is for the weak!" that doesn't always benefit every party. As awesome as the WAR I got yesterday was during bosses, I didn't enjoy tanking 70% of the trash on my MNK because lolDefiancewhoneedsthat. Good players should be smarter than that.

Reddit also has that weird fixation on "all STR all the time! Tank stance is for the weak!" that doesn't always benefit every party. As awesome as the WAR I got yesterday was during bosses, I didn't enjoy tanking 70% of the trash on my MNK because lolDefiancewhoneedsthat. Good players should be smarter than that.

I see all those stories, and I guess I can I never experience it because.. I'm always the tank. I don't play anything else lol. But wars not using defiance, drks not using darkside. Does that really happen? I mean, on my end, it's usually geared dps barely breaking 500 dps. I don't play dps though so I don't know how hard it is to hit something 5-600 as a dps. Shouldn't average be like 700? I was with a gaf drg yesterday doing 1k on A4 every run. The difference between them and the rest of the group was night and day.

Top Bottom