• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

scy

Man ... I missed this one too. What the hell.

Tanks using cooldowns > pretty much everything else. This is really the main problem that anyone ever runs into with tanks imploding, not VIT vs STR.

20.5 HP per VIT at 60 with base HP pool already absurdly high means missing 4 VIT Accessories is right under 3000 HP (though usually will be 4-1 VIT-STR or STR-VIT so really only ~2200 HP) at current gear. This isn't a huge deal for most things.

On the other hand, Rin is terrible at support, so there's something to be said for some level of experience.

Goddamn making me spam requests for MP regen turret on the Vault final boss. Never letting that go.

It's not my fault the stupid Machinist ran int--wait, fuck.

A4 is one of those situations where people will just explode sometimes and I will have literally no idea what happened and that is pretty annoying. The super OP dot in the last phase that can tick for close to 3k is no fun when there's tank damage AND random damage to the DPS. One of the few times where I can get some real Synastry use though, pop it on the other healer and spam the tank and yeaaaaaaa.

Well, that's the fun part of it. There's a lot of things people don't know about how the damage in the fight operates (e.g., you can stun Perpetual Ray / "why am I getting randomly lasered"). Judgement DoT is ~650 per stack per tick which means it hits the hardest during the periods of no damage happening and then you deal with a few ticks while Carnage is happening so it's a lot of damage but it hits the hardest during a boss cast bar. I still wonder if there's an actual trick to it or if it's just a generic damage check plus spatial awareness check.

I'm really interested in seeing how this "scales up" for Savage, though. Like, it could be boring and just more damage but there's a lot of room to add real mechanics to most of the stuff in the fight. It's potentially interesting or potentially "guess I meld some VIT accessories."

StayAware

Neo Member
So I picked this game up a few weeks ago and after getting to level 20 or so gladiator I switched over to lancer and now dragoon (masterrace).

My question: I'm reading through this OT and there's so much that I just don't understand. Am I going to be severely behind if I just grind for level cap doing main story and fates? I'm new to MMOs but am having fun with this. I'd hate to be excluded from endgame content because I just grinded story...

Thanks

Arkeband

Banned
So I picked this game up a few weeks ago and after getting to level 20 or so gladiator I switched over to lancer and now dragoon (masterrace).

My question: I'm reading through this OT and there's so much that I just don't understand. Am I going to be severely behind if I just grind for level cap doing main story and fates? I'm new to MMOs but am having fun with this. I'd hate to be excluded from endgame content because I just grinded story...

Thanks

No, you're fine.

fedexpeon

Banned

Thanks

Everything is on farmed already.
The good news is that you will be geared within weeks since everyone in the DF will probably be geared and experienced by the time you hit 60.

As a healer I detest A4. MT taking massive damage constantly, dps trying to be heroes and take multiple orbs then quickly get shot by that random laser shot and mainly the last phase with Judgement Nisi. I simply do not find it to be a particularity fun fight as a healer, just stressful.

Takes a healer who doesn't panic and I've been partnered with too many healers that panic and are OOM before the third phase. Though I admit mana conservation is extremely important in the fight unlike much of the other content.

It was a bit like this on the first two times I did A4 (first with static, second with another group) where I wasn't too sure of everything going on, but after fully grasping everything going on, it's not that bad so long as you don't have AN HEROES DPS going into orbs without saying something because RNG will RNG and they'll get hit by laser right after taking an orb as you said above or healers (this was me in first two clears) being like "ha ha I can heal through orbs myself aren't we special" while tank isn't getting any heals (especially during Discoid) and dies.

Sorian

Banned
It was a bit like this on the first two times I did A4 (first with static, second with another group) where I wasn't too sure of everything going on, but after fully grasping everything going on, it's not that bad so long as you don't have AN HEROES DPS going into orbs without saying something because RNG will RNG and they'll get hit by laser right after taking an orb as you said above or healers (this was me in first two clears) being like "ha ha I can heal through orbs myself aren't we special" while tank isn't getting any heals (especially during Discoid) and dies.

Korra, I'm one of those DPS. I also want you to know that I try to time my convert to go off at the same time as I take an orb to make it really exciting for you.

Korra, I'm one of those DPS. I also want you to know that I try to time my convert to go off at the same time as I take an orb to make it really exciting for you.

I realize this, and I am happy to say I plan for your death each time. No, seriously, I rez you just in time for the next orbs so you have invincibility time where you should run into as many orbs as you can for the good of the group. Totally viable strat.

Just remember how much I will laugh when A2 savage has "towers" in those semi-circle spots just like T8...

Edit: What is more annoying Asami is how in A3 you and Arashi manage to find the opportunity to go to the exact opposite side of where I am or get just out of my range at all times so you both usually don't get hit by my medica II and I have to waste precious time throwing you each a regen so I can go back to my DPS in that fight. When I move to within range of you two, you somehow always end up on the other side from me again...

A4 is one of those situations where people will just explode sometimes and I will have literally no idea what happened and that is pretty annoying. The super OP dot in the last phase that can tick for close to 3k is no fun when there's tank damage AND random damage to the DPS. One of the few times where I can get some real Synastry use though, pop it on the other healer and spam the tank and yeaaaaaaa.
Yea too many times I just watch a dps get melted before I can even consider healing them and those third phase ticks are insane. Watching you and the other healer getting so many ticks of damage continuously can make anyone want to panic. I remember the first time I did it I was sitting there thinking "why are we taking 2.7 damage constantly!?"

Then the tank got Discoided into dust because we tunnel visioned on healing each other.

I realize this, and I am happy to say I plan for your death each time. No, seriously, I rez you just in time for the next orbs so you have invincibility time where you should run into as many orbs as you can for the good of the group. Totally viable strat.
That 2.4k(+/-) mana expense hurts when rezzing those fools though.

I both really want to see this firsthand (maybe at i240...), and am pretty surprised they've learned and are rewarding early pushes now instead of Ifrit EX-style instadeath.

Don't worry, a future patch will cause Ravana to instead drop max swords and enrage on the party.

That 2.4k(+/-) mana expense hurts when rezzing those fools though.

Who needs to worry about MP when you have a BR...oh, wait.

scy

As a DPS that tends to run for orbs, Perpetual Ray occurs at set points during Discoid orbs so you can just grab an orb after the laser shoots and then wait for a heal before trying for more; for casters, this means I can wait for both laser shots and still grab two orbs before they speed up because lolSprint. Really, all Perpetual Ray does is make it so a full HP DPS can take at most Perpetual Ray + Orb before being dangerously low. It's strictly an HP check + spreading the damage around.

Yea too many times I just watch a dps get melted before I can even consider healing them and those third phase ticks are insane. Watching you and the other healer getting so many ticks of damage continuously can make anyone want to panic. I remember the first time I did it I was sitting there thinking "why are we taking 2.7 damage constantly!?"

Then the tank got Discoided into dust because we tunnel visioned on healing each other.

Because I'm that person, Judgement is ~3500, ~2700, ~2000, ~1300, ~650 damage for the ten ticks (basically, ~650 * stack count, +/- variance; stacks fall one-by-one every two ticks). Discoid does zero damage, it's the name of the attack that spawns the Orbs.

Mbrill82

I've been going back and forth about picking this up for months, and I think I'm about to finally make the jump (I'd be buying ARR right? No point buying Heavensward right away right? As far as I know I have to beat ARR before I can start on Heavensward stuff right?)

The main thing holding me back is me not having the time to commit (never played an MMO before) but from things I've read it's possible to go at it solo and at my own pace, right? I mean I'd love to play with other people I just feel like I'd be so far behind.

I almost picked up Elder Scrolls Online when it was on sale for PS4 but I've heard some bad things about it, and I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan (especially of the games which feature a job system) so I thought this game might be a better fit for me.

I've been going back and forth about picking this up for months, and I think I'm about to finally make the jump (I'd be buying ARR right? No point buying Heavensward right away right? As far as I know I have to beat ARR before I can start on Heavensward stuff right?)

The main thing holding me back is me not having the time to commit (never played an MMO before) but from things I've read it's possible to go at it solo and at my own pace, right? I mean I'd love to play with other people I just feel like I'd be so far behind.

I almost picked up Elder Scrolls Online when it was on sale for PS4 but I've heard some bad things about it, and I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan (especially of the games which feature a job system) so I thought this game might be a better fit for me.

Yep you can pretty much solo it and play at your own pace :)

As a DPS that tends to run for orbs, Perpetual Ray occurs at set points during Discoid orbs so you can just grab an orb after the laser shoots and then wait for a heal before trying for more; for casters, this means I can wait for both laser shots and still grab two orbs before they speed up because lolSprint. Really, all Perpetual Ray does is make it so a full HP DPS can take at most Perpetual Ray + Orb before being dangerously low. It's strictly an HP check + spreading the damage around.

I don't think the average DPS knows the timing so they think they can be below full HP and get hit by an orb not realizing that their HP is now low enough that Perpetual Ray will be a kill hit. Discoid orbs for days though, they just need to add significant debuff stacks in savage and we'll start to have more fun!

Edit: Also divebombs, just because.

scy

I bet Floor 4 is going to be a massive gear check in Savage. Get ready for that extra damage because reasons!

Vitality 5 Materia prices

I don't think the average DPS knows the timing so they think they can be below full HP and get hit by an orb not realizing that their HP is now low enough that Perpetual Ray will be a kill hit.

Probably not, was more just commenting on how it works out. It's one of the reasons why I'm curious to see what it's like come Savage since Perpetual Ray here will probably be an outright "fuck you, no orbs" vulnerability, for instance, which makes the timings a bit more important to know.

Edit:

Edit: Also divebombs, just because.

Carnage is already Divebombs, except you actually want people in the way!

Carnage is already Divebombs, except you actually want people in the way!

I want goblins swooping down, though.

Oh wait, can the orbs from each side have a different attribute where if you touch one you have to get one of the other type to remove a debuff (think fire/ice T9)? WHILE GOBLINS SWOOP DOWN.

royox

Hey people, I'm a bit new to this game. I have a Summoner (LOVE IT) and just reached lvl60. How can you see the DPS you and the others did on a boss?

Thank you!.

Aeana

I want goblins swooping down, though.

Oh wait, can the orbs from each side have a different attribute where if you touch one you have to get one of the other type to remove a debuff (think fire/ice T9)? WHILE GOBLINS SWOOP DOWN.

Great, more Chrysalis.

Jomjom

Banned

If you are a huge FF fan, you need to get this over ESO for sure. I played ESO and it was just horrible for me compared to FF14.

Also I'm as casual a player as there is and I feel like I've still accomplished a fair amount in 14.

dramatis

Get A Realm Reborn, play it, and if you like it enough you can get Heavensward. You don't need to buy Heavensward unless you want to play its content, and its content is currently locked beyond patch 2.55 story and level 50.

Sorian

Banned
Edit: What is more annoying Asami is how in A3 you and Arashi manage to find the opportunity to go to the exact opposite side of where I am or get just out of my range at all times so you both usually don't get hit by my medica II and I have to waste precious time throwing you each a regen so I can go back to my DPS in that fight. When I move to within range of you two, you somehow always end up on the other side from me again...

Which is funny, because I don't move at all during A3. Any movement is being forced on me, so knockback from the hand and magnet push/pulls.

Don't worry, I'll care more about these things in savage but alex normal is YOLO all day.

Pancho

Qurupancho
All of these bad groups makingg me want to quit the game :/
Just not enjoying myself as much these past couple of days
Maybe I should take a break

_BtB_

Hey people, I'm a bit new to this game. I have a Summoner (LOVE IT) and just reached lvl60. How can you see the DPS you and the others did on a boss?

Thank you!.

There is no in-game way to do it from what I can tell. Most ppl who are interested in those stats use a third-party parser that reads the game battle log (I think that is how it works).
Just go to google and type ff14 parser, should get a few hits and reddit posts that recommends a couple. Just be wary of using a third-party parser without virus scanning it, also there could be a chance you could get a temp/perm ban for using one(even though the chance is fairly low). But I think SE just does not support the use of parsers, so you can not get tech support for it on their site.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The only time I really do DF anymore is random leveling dungeons since it's usually harder to mess those up.

Squishy3

Joined a friend's Ravana EX farm party and the healers kept dying during swift liberation every time.

Kept saying it was because of the vuln debuff from swift lib (ravana really liked putting it on tanks and healers) in which case... you cast mitigation on yourself. :p

Mbrill82

Get A Realm Reborn, play it, and if you like it enough you can get Heavensward. You don't need to buy Heavensward unless you want to play its content, and its content is currently locked beyond patch 2.55 story and level 50.

Ok cool, that's what I figured. And for $20.99 at Best Buy currently for ARR it's a steal

fedexpeon

Banned

You should.
The longer you wait, the easier the contents will be and more bad players will get more experience with the dungeons/raids.
I mean, there is literally nothing to do but do A1-4 8x times a day and then logging off.

Top Bottom