• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Valor

I don't remember you indicating the difference in skill speed in your tests back then. Based on what we know now, that 100 skill speed can either mean a 0.03s or 0.04s improvement on your GCD timer and about 1.38% damage increase per DoT tick. RIP Skill Speed

Yeah so initially what I was testing was simply dot tick numbers at different levels of skill speed just to see how much they were affected OR if they affected how often the dot actually ticks. So I tested both of those, mentioned that the numbers were within like 3-4 points of each other so it was likely nothing, and basically got ridiculed for it >_> Then the PS4 parser jokes start in.

Like I was just seeing if there was a notable (20ish) jump in SS based damage, but they were about the same even when factoring in different gear and all that other junk. Maybe by the end of the patch cycle we'll see some serious SS based builds like Haman's been dreaming about, but until then >___> Crit > Det > SS

In an unrelated note, Soapy is a level 50 DRK /o\ time to begin Heavensward (again).

They should reduce Tornado Kick cooldown to 30secs. It's not like you can use it in a rotation anyway, it's just annoying when Ravanah does the orbs stuff and I have to stay there for like 2more seconds to get a Tornado Kick in because the cd isn't up from the last time Ravanah took a break to read a book offscreen. And it should look better, and sound better. Forbidden Chakra sounds like what you'd expect from a super big punch and the animation is decent enough to give it some "oomph", Tornado Kick is unimpressive both in how it looks(crappy jumping kick, not crazy spell effects on it) and how it sounds(can't even tell tbh).

xezuru

I haven't played since T5 was the last tier of endgame, but I always thought shoulder tackle would be way more interesting and useful if it only stunned if it hits the front of the target and it refreshes a stack of GL or even consumes a stack to refresh shoulder tackle cooldown, at the time I wouldn't mind a bit of an overall number crunch for this bit of utility.

Preferably the second option: where in fights like the latter phase of T5 where you hunt the adds, choose whether you want stun via positioning so that diminishing returns doesn't invade, and then sacrifice a stack to get better positioning and get back faster to do main boss dps with refreshes.

My friend's been trying to get his character into Ultros for about 4 and a half hours now. We've just been chilling while we refreshed the server list every 3 minutes it becomes available but no dice. Sucks to give up but it's late and I wanna go home. Wrote down his character info to recreate it tomorrow when we try again but I was sure Ultros would let his character in at some point during the wait. Our other friend probably only took about 2 hours at most to get into the server last night.

Pancho

Qurupancho
My friend's been trying to get his character into Ultros for about 4 and a half hours now. We've just been chilling while we refreshed the server list every 3 minutes it becomes available but no dice. Sucks to give up but it's late and I wanna go home. Wrote down his character info to recreate it tomorrow when we try again but I was sure Ultros would let his character in at some point during the wait. Our other friend probably only took about 2 hours at most to get into the server last night.
Early morning hours are usually okay for new chars

Zomba13

They way they lock character creation on certain servers at certain times is annoying but understandable I guess. What isn't understandable is there isn't a way to join your friends server. Like, with FFXI servers were (when I made my character) random unless you had a code from a player on that server. They should implement that. Keep the lock at random times or whatever to help spread out characters but let you join the same world as a friend or community you are part of by entering a code that a user on said world can generate on the mogstation.

So good! I can't wait to see how brutal the Extreme version is.

I swear that better
Label a primal battle with them or someone else summoning them again instead of another damn Wandering Minstrel. If it isn't The Singularity Reactor (Extreme) I will personally punch Yoshi in the balls

chrono01

Gah just got home from work, and always forget that the stupid maintenance is always so early PST!
/tell MrCatliaztec

I know, it can be frustrating. However, look at the gift that SE will place upon us once the servers come back up. That's right, fresh new content to work through. New tomestones, new gear, and a new raid! Thank you, Yoshi-P.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I want to level BRD at some point if for no other reason than having two retainer panels full of fabulous gear just waiting to be glamoured. =p

Squishy3

If it's possible for you to try tomorrow morning it'd probably be possible.

Zomba13

I swear that better
Label a primal battle with them or someone else summoning them again instead of another damn Wandering Minstrel. If it isn't The Singularity Reactor (Extreme) I will personally punch Yoshi in the balls

But that would be stupid and wouldn't make sense in the lore. The Heaven's Ward are dead, Thordan is dead. I mean, there could be a splinter group of Ishgard who still want the old way of secrets and lies but with Aymeric seemingly in charge I'm sure most of Ishgard would realise they've been lied to all these years, especially with the Warrior of Light actually fighting.

The Wandering Minstrel is a great way to have hard mode versions of battles that canonically only happen the once. The reason we can go back in DF and fight story Ifrit is because of the Echo and the Minstrel stuff is us playing through the thing that was exaggerated in songs of how awesome we were. It's still be a primal battle, it'll still be a trial, it'll still be a HM or EX version, just canonically not a retread.

Plus having some random no named character pull off Knights of the Round kinda makes the ending seem pointless.

Wagram

I'm assuming the 24 man raid is The Tower of Babil.

There's a
floating tower in sea of clouds, and it kind of goes with the whole moon thing at the end of the main scenario.

But that would be stupid and wouldn't make sense in the lore. The Heaven's Ward are dead, Thordan is dead. I mean, there could be a splinter group of Ishgard who still want the old way of secrets and lies but with Aymeric seemingly in charge I'm sure most of Ishgard would realise they've been lied to all these years, especially with the Warrior of Light actually fighting.

The Wandering Minstrel is a great way to have hard mode versions of battles that canonically only happen the once. The reason we can go back in DF and fight story Ifrit is because of the Echo and the Minstrel stuff is us playing through the thing that was exaggerated in songs of how awesome we were. It's still be a primal battle, it'll still be a trial, it'll still be a HM or EX version, just canonically not a retread.

Plus having some random no named character pull off Knights of the Round kinda makes the ending seem pointless.

The Wander Minstrel is a stupid concept in itself. It's an EX story anyways it's not suppose to be strong just not that stupid as song maker again

/tell MrCatliaztec

I know, it can be frustrating. However, look at the gift that SE will place upon us once the servers come back up. That's right, fresh new content to work through. New tomestones, new gear, and a new raid! Thank you, Yoshi-P.

I just got level 60 last night :p I got stuff to do Yosh.

When i logged in and hit play the maintenance screen might as well of been

shinjilaughing.JPG

I find this image so hilarious, but not for the same reason I used to. Not after E3 2015.

Hashimoto knew at that point, about the FFVII Remake. HE KNEW! It really puts the image in a different perspective.

Yeah that's why I liked using it, he knew that i knew about maintenance i thought about it as I was leaving for work!

FF7 Remake was one of the best kept secrets until like 2 days before hand.

Squishy3

Anyone else hitting these DPS numbers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-c_7WUIlXM
Think the Ravana EX speed kill is still more impressive even if Ravana has mechanics thatmake you do more damage to him.

Or I just really like the fact the butterflies all disappear at once without leaving any swords behind if you do enough damage to him before his ultimate. That's the kind of silly shit I wanna see MMO bosses do if you're outputting insane damage.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is the new AF gear glamourable? Not really a fan of the WAR set and want to make it look like something else.

chrono01

Yeah that's why I liked using it, he knew that i knew about maintenance i thought about it as I was leaving for work!

FF7 Remake was one of the best kept secrets until like 2 days before hand.
Agreed.

I know it's kind of off-topic so I'll stop discussing the remake here, but I kind of wish Siliconera didn't leak the surprise. :/

Anyway, that's enough about FFVII. We have Heavensward to talk about!

MogCakes

That result's perfectly possible, it just requires everyone to know what the hell they're doing and not get hit by extra crap and all be at the top of their DPS game (everyone, not just DPS). The average PF party will never achieve that because half of its members will tunnel and die to mechanics change or just plain suck at their rotation.

I'm a little salty because a PF group that I made to farm Rav before maint completely undid itself after a near-successful run and people started freaking out and lost their focus. At one point we had 3 swords up during butterflies. The final attempt ended with people dropping dead after an almost-comeback from a tank/healer death. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Bah.

Squishy3

That result's perfectly possible, it just requires everyone to know what the hell they're doing and not get hit by extra crap and all be at the top of their DPS game (everyone, not just DPS). The average PF party will never achieve that because half of its members will tunnel and die to mechanics change or just plain suck at their rotation.

I'm a little salty because a PF group that I made to farm Rav before maint completely undid itself after a near-successful run and people started freaking out and lost their focus. At one point we had 3 swords up during butterflies. The final attempt ended with people dropping dead after an almost-comeback from a tank/healer death. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Bah.
The last Ravana EX party I was in everyone except the healers was alive after Swift Liberation, and this ended up happening multiple times, yet both healers swore they weren't the problem.

So we beat Courelregina with moments to spare before maint on goblin. I didn't even know the fate existed until a few moments ago lol. It was exciting to see it die a few seconds before the "we're now starting maint" message popped up.

I really hope this new pvp mode will be worth the maint spam we're gonna have this week.

Agreed.

I know it's kind of off-topic so I'll stop discussing the remake here, but I kind of wish Siliconera didn't leak the surprise. :/

Anyway, that's enough about FFVII. We have Heavensward to talk about!

I just got level 60 last night and have absolutely no idea what to do with myself.

Finished MSQ and got my 60 class quest done today before work that final Primal battle was unreal!

I didn't play much of ARR only got to level 50 in 2.0 and then stopped, so once xpac hit I did all the 2.1-2.55 MSQ and am just now trying to do all the hard modes in order to unlock HLDR but I also gotta open up EXDR in order to actually make use of my time. I just don't know where to start.

But I did make my company chocobo red last night so that was a win!

This is Vkone from the FC BTW.

Also do we have a serious lack of Monks in the FC I honestly never hear anyone talking about Monklyness.

Tabris

I've watched it a couple times now. I think I finally figured out how the PLD is 100~ DPS ahead of me pre-jump. He does the following:

1) Sword Oath's halfway through the fight
2) STR potion
3) Food
4) Doesn't use Rage ever (which I've stopped doing on weak content / magic mainly bosses like A4 since 0 enmity issues just using Royal Authority over Rage)
5) Uses Fracture (not kidding, I'm going to test adding it to my non-Rage rotation)

Wish they had POV videos for each class in this fight.

chrono01

I just got level 60 last night and have absolutely no idea what to do with myself.

Finished MSQ and got my 60 class quest done today before work that final Primal battle was unreal!

I didn't play much of ARR only got to level 50 in 2.0 and then stopped, so once xpac hit I did all the 2.1-2.55 MSQ and am just now trying to do all the hard modes in order to unlock HLDR but I also gotta open up EXDR in order to actually make use of my time. I just don't know where to start.

But I did make my company chocobo red last night so that was a win!

This is Vkone from the FC BTW.

Also do we have a serious lack of Monks in the FC I honestly never hear anyone talking about Monklyness.
Man, you have so much content to work through.

Have you done the Hildibrand quests? They're hilarious and well worth your time. Talk to the named NPC's as you progress through too, as you'll miss a lot of the humour if you just hurry through it.

Heavensward itself is so full of content too, not to mention even more dungeons to unlock/play through [although not as much as ARR] and two different Primal [as well as two difficulties of them], and now two different difficulties of a raid. You will be busy for a long time. Don't force yourself to move at a faster pace to where you're not enjoying yourself, you have plenty of time to catch up. Also, once you unlock Ishgard be sure to do your dailies, as that will likely be the best source of the new Tomestone [Esoterics] to unlock the new AF gear.

As for the lack of Monks in the FC, they went Heavensward after the expansion hit. Blame Ninja and the buffs Dragoon received.

One thing that kind of surprised me about XIV in comparison to XI is how relatively unimportant food is considered in general. You were pretty much expected to eat sushi endgame in XI, but it's relatively rare to see these days.

Tabris

One thing that kind of surprised me about XIV in comparison to XI is how relatively unimportant food is considered in general. You were pretty much expected to eat sushi endgame in XI, but it's relatively rare to see these days.

Well food is a requirement for progression in FFXIV, it's a free piece of equipment. But the reason why it was a requirement in XI for exping is because the monsters you were fighting were higher level and you couldn't meet the accuracy requirements via gear.

EDIT - That is one thing I like about my FC buffs. Food buff 24/7. Saves a decent amount of gil. I should buy food as soon as I log in before prices get jacked.

Not if you raid.

Well food is a requirement for progression in FFXIV, it's a free piece of equipment. But the reason why it was a requirement in XI for exping is because the monsters you were fighting were higher level and you couldn't meet the accuracy requirements via gear.

EDIT - That is one thing I like about my FC buffs. Food buff 24/7. Saves a decent amount of gil. I should buy food as soon as I log in before prices get jacked.

Talking about the wild

Man, you have so much content to work through.

Have you done the Hildibrand quests? They're hilarious and well worth your time. Talk to the named NPC's as you progress through too, as you'll miss a lot of the humour if you just hurry through it.

Heavensward itself is so full of content too, not to mention even more dungeons to unlock/play through [although not as much as ARR] and two different Primal [as well as two difficulties of them], and now two different difficulties of a raid. You will be busy for a long time. Don't force yourself to move at a faster pace to where you're not enjoying yourself, you have plenty of time to catch up. Also, once you unlock Ishgard be sure to do your dailies, as that will likely be the best source of the new Tomestone [Esoterics] to unlock the new AF gear.

As for the lack of Monks in the FC, they went Heavensward after the expansion hit. Blame Ninja and the buffs Dragoon received.

It's so true I have so much to do ><. I do need to become Manderville Man! I've heard the tales and he's it need to happen.

Gonna keep pushing on with Monk since we are under represented I will bring them back with my fists! But DRK has been calling me but I shutter at the thought of running nothing but dungeons to 60 because that's what I'm gonna be doing at 60 haha so just gonna keep on. I still wanna experience the old raids and Alexander just sooooooo much to do. Need start working towards Ilvl 170 and get those DRs unlocked!!!

But not tonight because Damn maintenance!!!! :p

Zomba13

The Wander Minstrel is a stupid concept in itself. It's an EX story anyways it's not suppose to be strong just not that stupid as song maker again

I think the Wandering Minstrel is a fantastic concept for a way to get players to fight hard mode battles of content that only happens once in the canon storyline. You are the Warrior of Light, people hear of you exploits and tell your tales, some get made more than what they actually were, some get turned into song or stage play. One bard that plays in the local tavern/headquaters and looks like a producer that transformed a failing MMO into a success might even hear about your epic, climactic battles and write a little song but adding more flare and oomph. Then when you go by to see him, he'll decide to sing you his tale and you get lost in it even though it's a lot more chaotic and exaggerated than you remember.

Plus, it's much better than having a beast tribe once again get enough crystals to once again summon their god that you once again easily beat.

I still use exp food in normal dungeons.

yes, but it's nowhere near as common as it was in XI, i.e. being expected to eat even in leveling parties, which is what I'm talking about.

You pretty much needed to have +Acc food to even hit leveling mobs, but the requirements are much lower in XIV's IDs so the expectation isn't prevalent, even if individual players are still aware of the benefits.

chiliboy

Which food that I can buy from a vendor is recommended for my BRD while leveling? It is 45 now.

Tried looking at ffxivdb but I got confused as to what is considered good value food ^^

Ken

yes, but it's nowhere near as common as it was in XI, i.e. being expected to eat even in leveling parties, which is what I'm talking about.

You pretty much needed to have +Acc food to even hit leveling mobs, but the requirements are much lower in XIV's IDs so the expectation isn't prevalent, even if individual players are still aware of the benefits.

I don't think the accuracy cap for not-raid stuff is any higher than base accuracy?

Top Bottom