• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I tried looking for this but I didn't find a clear answer.

Does anyone know the current Light Values? I know they got doubled before but I heard it got doubled again when the 3.0 expansion dropped (meaning they would be giving x4 their original value) is this true?

Sorian

Banned
You should.
The longer you wait, the easier the contents will be and more bad players will get more experience with the dungeons/raids.
I mean, there is literally nothing to do but do A1-4 8x times a day and then logging off.

Improper use of the word "literally."

Dunan

GAF, I'm going to take another break from this game -- I've got a doctoral thesis draft that could use some revision over the next month or two -- but just wanted to thank this great Free Company for everything. I'm still a noob at the MMO genre but am very slowly picking things up, and each time I jump back in, I play a little better. This is thanks in no small part to running all those dungeons and trials with fellow Gaffers.

Left a little (and by little, I mean
big
) tip in the company chest to keep things running smoothly. When some new content comes out, I'll be pulled right back in again!

If we ever start running out of space for members, feel free to give someone else my seat for a while. But I'll be wanting it back eventually!

Ken

GAF, I'm going to take another break from this game -- I've got a doctoral thesis draft that could use some revision over the next month or two -- but just wanted to thank this great Free Company for everything. I'm still a noob at the MMO genre but am very slowly picking things up, and each time I jump back in, I play a little better. This is thanks in no small part to running all those dungeons and trials with fellow Gaffers.

Left a little (and by little, I mean
big
) tip in the company chest to keep things running smoothly. When some new content comes out, I'll be pulled right back in again!

If we ever start running out of space for members, feel free to give someone else my seat for a while. But I'll be wanting it back eventually!

Good luck and bye!

Tabris

The lack of BRD/MCH's raid available is shocking. I'm getting more hits from SCH's.

I get a bunch of BRD's abandoned their job because they couldn't do leet DPS anymore (well not that ever did before, but worse now), but this is crazy.

I tried looking for this but I didn't find a clear answer.

Does anyone know the current Light Values? I know they got doubled before but I heard it got doubled again when the 3.0 expansion dropped (meaning they would be giving x4 their original value) is this true?

This is what I heard too. If you find one of the old guides, you can either 4x every value, or just look at it as if you only needed to fill 500light(in the first step). As far as I remember, if you find Zeta values, it had already been doubled at that point, so it'd only be doubled again in comparison.

Light farming sounds terrible without undersyncing tbh. I don't know why they removed it, I wouldn't mind solo farming dungeons for light, but having to do synced content on a specific class with the weapon equipped sounds absolutely terrible.

xezuru

Just curious, but anyone in GAF in leviathan?
Got the MMO Rehab itch now that expansion is out, and if there are dudes to play with / an unlikely open spot in statics when I'm done playing catchup from everything after T5 iLvl, would have a better inclination to bite.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The lack of BRD/MCH's raid available is shocking. I'm getting more hits from SCH's.

I get a bunch of BRD's abandoned their job because they couldn't do leet DPS anymore (well not that ever did before, but worse now), but this is crazy.

A lot of them are already in groups.

Xux

This is what I heard too. If you find one of the old guides, you can either 4x every value, or just look at it as if you only needed to fill 500light(in the first step). As far as I remember, if you find Zeta values, it had already been doubled at that point, so it'd only be doubled again in comparison.

Light farming sounds terrible without undersyncing tbh. I don't know why they removed it, I wouldn't mind solo farming dungeons for light, but having to do synced content on a specific class with the weapon equipped sounds absolutely terrible.
It'd be nice if they made it easier if the new relic weapon quests give you a shortcut or whatever they have planned. It kinda sucked that Heavensward dungeons and treasure maps don't give light even up until levels where better-than-Zeta weapons are super easy to get.

iammeiam

I'm sticking with buffs and nerfs missing the point--Bard is still in the same relative DPS slot it was before, it just lost all the things that made the DPS gap "worth it". They need to fix Minuet on an execution level--MCH doesn't exactly slaughter everyone DPS-wise, people are just swapping because it's more coherently put together.

I do think the ranged physical base overall is shrinking, though. MCH is a lot more convoluted than Bard ever was, so it doesn't really 1:1 substitute.

Tabris

Just means it'll get buffed to high heaven to convince people to go back \o/

This is what they should do with BRD and MCH (and future similar jobs)

1) Add in Support Role to 8-man parties. Required for DF / Roulette
2) Give BRD and MCH an extra job crystal. They use the job crystal to switch between DPS and Support. (so you can only switch when able to gear set swap / change jobs - i.e. not in an instance)
3) The job crystal carries with it different stats and abilities. Such as BRD DPS has no songs but has much higher stats and maybe an extra cooldown or two. BRD Support has a bunch of songs (even a couple more - some that don't use MP maybe so you always have some kind of a song up) but has lower stats, or is missing a couple damage abilities.

So that would allow a BRD to go DPS mode for 4-man content and Support mode for 8-man content. Can keep this for all future support jobs.

Valor

I'm sticking with buffs and nerfs missing the point--Bard is still in the same relative DPS slot it was before, it just lost all the things that made the DPS gap "worth it". They need to fix Minuet on an execution level--MCH doesn't exactly slaughter everyone DPS-wise, people are just swapping because it's more coherently put together.

I do think the ranged physical base overall is shrinking, though. MCH is a lot more convoluted than Bard ever was, so it doesn't really 1:1 substitute.

I disagree. I think the ranged based is where it's always been. I do think some people may have gone summoner instead who were doing bard for utility. I don't think there are a ton of BRD turned MCH out there. People may talk about it, but if they do it or not is another story. MCH have been really rare in my limited findings so far where basically DRG/SMN are everywhere.

People were convinced their damage output was so bad they'll never get picked (at least according to reddit and official forums) so they went as something else.

Honestly, after watching the two Mr. Happy videos about BRD and WM I shouldn't of been so hasty to drop the job after listing to all the moaning. Though I would prefer to level MCH for the "cool factor" I don't really need two micromanagement jobs at my disposal. What I liked about BRD was it felt more laid back. Keep your dots up, foes for the mages and stay a safe distance from things.

*sigh*

Ever since like a week after the expansion. I start getting lag spikes while in DF instances. It only happens in this game my internet is fine outside of it. I've tried WTFast and Pingzapper and I still get these spikes. They're probably not even going to fix it this patch

People were convinced their damage output was so bad they'll never get picked (at least according to reddit and official forums) so they went as something else.

Honestly, after watching the two Mr. Happy videos about BRD and WM I shouldn't of been so hasty to drop the job after listing to all the moaning. Though I would prefer to level MCH for the "cool factor" I don't really need two micromanagement jobs at my disposal. What I liked about BRD was it felt more laid back. Keep your dots up, foes for the mages and stay a safe distance from things.

MCH definitely doesn't feel worth the execution required to get decent DPS when other jobs can phone it in and pull similar numbers.

I'll have to check out the Mr. Happy videos though, he's always a pleasant watch

iammeiam

Calling MCH not worth it and complimenting Mr. Happy. Y'all trying to kill me.

I disagree. I think the ranged based is where it's always been. I do think some people may have gone summoner instead who were doing bard for utility. I don't think there are a ton of BRD turned MCH out there. People may talk about it, but if they do it or not is another story. MCH have been really rare in my limited findings so far where basically DRG/SMN are everywhere.

I can think of three 2.x Bard mains in this thread/GAF FC alone that have flipped MCH without having to pause; I don't know a huge number of endgame bards, but I don't think the actual conversion rate is that small (there's also a delay as the MCH hype train took a while to start) and the bigger problem is the people who bled off to go be other things. I specified physical ranged for a reason--SMN has that flavor of the month aura, but they're in contention for the BLM or second melee slot; losing Bards to that is still decreasing the pool of players for a slot people are still assuming will be borderline mandatory for progression.

The bigger problem is I can't think of many people with endgame experience who weren't bards maining Bard/MCH now. The exchange out isn't being matched by the exchange in, from what I can see.

scy

MCH definitely doesn't feel worth the execution required to get decent DPS when other jobs can phone it in and pull similar numbers.

I mean ... what kind of damage ceiling do you think Machinists have and/or what do you think the other DPS do? Like, I don't flail at my keyboard on SMN and get to 1000+.

brinstar

So, I finished the story in... 2.0 I guess? And started the next story arc, but one thing I want to know is are there any sidequests or something I should be doing to get better armor/weapons or should I just keep collecting these tomestones? My FC told me not to bother with the relic weapon questline but I'm not sure what I should be doing to get better gear after my artifact armor.

Calling MCH not worth it and complimenting Mr. Happy. Y'all trying to kill me.

I don't mean that it's not worth raising; I've been waiting for guns since I saw Melwyb break out the sawed-off, and spent last weekend going from 45-60. I like the job and I'm IL 180 right now, but I feel like the return is not there right now. Not saying I know exactly what the answer is either, but I think some adjustments are still necessary.

I mean ... what kind of damage ceiling do you think Machinists have and/or what do you think the other DPS do? Like, I don't flail at my keyboard on SMN and get to 1000+.

SMN has always been strong though, it's just that more people are aware of it and how to use it now.

The biggest problem with MCH damage now is the erratic nature of it outside of cooldowns in comparison to the relative low base damage.

IceIpor

So, I finished the story in... 2.0 I guess? And started the next story arc, but one thing I want to know is are there any sidequests or something I should be doing to get better armor/weapons or should I just keep collecting these tomestones? My FC told me not to bother with the relic weapon questline but I'm not sure what I should be doing to get better gear after my artifact armor.

Auction house/market board, or spend poetic tomestones at Revenant's Toll/Mor Dhona.

The gear from poetic tomestones should last you until level 55 or so.

scy

SMN has always been strong though, it's just that more people are aware of it and how to use it now.

This isn't my point. My point is that a well played MCH can still do the 800-1000+ range depending on the fight and circumstances (aka, please have Disembowel). It's not like on SMN I can just flail at my keyboard like you seem to indicate. Poorly played melee/casters are still going to be well below a well played BRD/MCH.

Like, if you think the class should do the 1100-1200 dummy range of the melee than say so? I'm just trying to figure out if you actually know where the damage lies since saying that them being played perfectly is roughly the same as any other job being half-assed is rather disingenuous.

Edit: Ultimately, I just don't like the notion that seems to still be around that a perfectly executed Bard/Machinist is still like ... significantly worse than every other DPS. For better or worse, parity has basically been kept from 2.X to now for how they compare vs the rest of the DPS. Now, if you want to argue about that parity being an issue (which I personally do agree with), then that's another thing. It's just there's still this whole thought process that BRD/MCH are like "at best" barely over half the other DPS and that's beyond missing the mark.

This isn't my point. My point is that a well played MCH can still do the 800-1000+ range depending on the fight and circumstances (aka, please have Disembowel). It's not like on SMN I can just flail at my keyboard like you seem to indicate. Poorly played melee/casters are still going to be well below a well played BRD/MCH.

Like, if you think the class should do the 1100-1200 dummy range of the melee than say so? I'm just trying to figure out if you actually know where the damage lies since saying that them being played perfectly is roughly the same as any other job being half-assed is rather disingenuous.

Edit: Ultimately, I just don't like the notion that seems to still be around that a perfectly executed Bard/Machinist is still like ... significantly worse than every other DPS. For better or worse, parity has basically been kept from 2.X to now for how they compare vs the rest of the DPS. Now, if you want to argue about that parity being an issue (which I personally do agree with), then that's another thing. It's just there's still this whole thought process that BRD/MCH are like "at best" barely over half the other DPS and that's beyond missing the mark.

You're reading a lot into my post

I don't really give a shit about parser numbers

It's fairly self evident that MCH damage feels off, and a job's baseline DPS at full steam shouldn't be reliant on having certain other jobs around. I've never seen you play SMN and I'm sure you're elite, but I'm talking about the undergeared, slow-moving, unobservant DPS I've seen lately being able to still at least pull off passable damage because they're not at the mercy of RNGesus to the same degree.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You're reading a lot into my post

I don't really give a shit about parser numbers

It's fairly self evident that MCH damage feels off, and a job's baseline DPS at full steam shouldn't be reliant on having certain other jobs around. I've never seen you play SMN and I'm sure you're elite, but I'm talking about the undergeared, slow-moving, unobservant DPS I've seen lately being able to still at least pull off passable damage because they're not at the mercy of RNGesus to the same degree.

um.gif

iammeiam

MCH is all about that Wildfire

Wildfire has the absolute hands-down worst visual feedback of any damage skill in the game, which is pretty godawful given that it's the primary MCH tool for pew pew. Wildfire blowing up should be the MCH big number ego-stroke moment, but to see it you basically need a parser or to pick through the combat log because it's not a showy skill.

Like, I'm pretty sure my MCH and my BRD occupy the same general damage arena, but on Bard you get those giant Barrage Buffed EA crits and feel super strong. MCH Wildfire just kind of... happens.

ALSO the comparisons I've seen have the actual RNG proc impact on Machinist as , like, laughably tiny. Getting no procs for 7 GCDs is frustrating as hell, but the overall impact of RNG is smaller than it feels.

Wildfire has the absolute hands-down worst visual feedback of any damage skill in the game, which is pretty godawful given that it's the primary MCH tool for pew pew.

Like, I'm pretty sure my MCH and my BRD occupy the same general damage arena, but on Bard you get those giant Barrage Buffed EA crits and feel super strong. MCH Wildfire just kind of... happens.

Pretty sure there's a bug where it's not properly displayed sometimes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Wildfire has the absolute hands-down worst visual feedback of any damage skill in the game, which is pretty godawful given that it's the primary MCH tool for pew pew. Wildfire blowing up should be the MCH big number ego-stroke moment, but to see it you basically need a parser or to pick through the combat log because it's not a showy skill.

ALSO the comparisons I've seen have the actual RNG proc impact on Machinist as , like, laughably tiny. Getting no procs for 7 GCDs is frustrating as hell, but the overall impact of RNG is smaller than it feels.

Barrage buffed crits? Am I missing something or

Squishy3

*sigh*

Ever since like a week after the expansion. I start getting lag spikes while in DF instances. It only happens in this game my internet is fine outside of it. I've tried WTFast and Pingzapper and I still get these spikes. They're probably not even going to fix it this patch
Ravana EX was borderline unplayable for me last night. I kept freaking out because it'd lag during orbs phase after the first prey.

scy

Okay, for one, I have no idea how you get "it's fairly self evident" on anything about their damage potential, really. Especially coupling this with booing to parsers but, whatever, okay I guess? Like, it's really hard to get a grasp on anybody's overall damage simply by watching the floating combat text.

Secondly, I have a 60 Machinist and I have zero idea what you're talking about in regards to "at the mercy of" RNG. The entire goal of everything you do with the class is tempering the RNG as best you can. Even then, the net effect on overall DPS for bad RNG strings is minor (like, single digit percent difference). RNG will have a significantly smaller impact on your DPS than simply not knowing how to optimize cooldowns.

I'm still not entirely sure I get your complaint at this point on if it's where their damage is overall vs other classes or just like ... "I wish it had better numbers feedback." Their damage currently isn't in the worst place overall but it could use something since I do agree that relying on Disembowel to be competitive is a little silly. But I think the whole "their damage is so bad that people barely trying do the same" is an entirely false statement.

iammeiam

Barrage buffed crits? Am I missing something or

I could add commas maybe and it'd make more sense.

Basically the pinnacle of BRD deeps in the opener is popping everything, then barraging EA. You get three big-for-bard numbers in rapid succession, and when the buffed Barrage EA has a crit in it you get a really big number that is also visually large. It's just good visual feedback.

Xux

Random MCH question from a not-MCH: Is there any point in using the Rook Turret once you have the Bishop outside of the TP regain?

Edit: NVM, thought the thing I was reading said they have the same potency...

scy

Random MCH question from a not-MCH: Is there any point in using the Rook Turret once you have the Bishop outside of the TP regain?

It's strictly better for single-target (80 potency vs 60) and the Hypercharge effect later is a Physical Vulnerability Up debuff.

Jayhawk

Everybody knows the best way to track damage dealt is through a ruler taped to your television or monitor and a stopwatch. Ask Galen.

Valor

I'm still not entirely sure I get your complaint at this point on if it's where their damage is overall vs other classes or just like ... "I wish it had better numbers feedback." Their damage currently isn't in the worst place overall but it could use something since I do agree that relying on Disembowel to be competitive is a little silly. But I think the whole "their damage is so bad that people barely trying do the same" is an entirely false statement.
Well, Scy, I think it's more than MCH is at the mercy of RNG way more than other jobs not named Dragoon. The issue becomes that the ceiling for MCH is fine. The floor, however, is freaking dismal. I'm talking like worst case scenario of not optimizing cooldowns, blowing ammo on Hot Shot/Lead Shot/unprocced Clean Shot, and so on. You ain't lighting the world on fire doing stuff like that. Cruise control for Machinist fuckin like... doesn't exist, man. Your cruise control is literally hitting 1 waiting for 2 to proc. Your dps is gonna be so much more terrible than a bard giving the bare minimum effort spamming old rotation and ignoring EA/Sidewinder.

Since people are talking about MCH, as a general rule, should I use my CDs strictly when I activate wildfire?
I've been trying to get into the habit of saying fuck it and just popping stuff on cooldown. It seems to work out rather nice since you should have a bunch of stuff back every other Wildfire for a nice boost.

Everybody knows the best way to track damage dealt is through a ruler taped to your television or monitor and a stopwatch. Ask Galen.

You can have your joke and everything, but when the idea was "Skill Speed affects dots" and I tested two builds with varying Skill Speed (+/- 100 points) and saw no huge differences in numbers that were popping up on my screen, it's pretty reasonable to assume that Skill Speed other wasn't affecting them or it's so minutely it's not going to be readily noticed.

You don't need an abacus or a ruler to look at numbers on the screen for dot ticks and record them to compare.

scy

Since people are talking about MCH, as a general rule, should I use my CDs strictly when I activate wildfire?

You should use them on cooldown with a few exceptions on things that are almost naturally synced up (aka, Blood for Blood's 80s timer is kind of an asshole). General thought process should be if it's a few seconds, you can wait but like ... you're not sitting on Ricochet for ~30s for your next Wildfire, you'll just use it and get Ricochet in on the Wildfire after that.

Jayhawk

You can have your joke and everything, but when the idea was "Skill Speed affects dots" and I tested two builds with varying Skill Speed (+/- 100 points) and saw no huge differences in numbers that were popping up on my screen, it's pretty reasonable to assume that Skill Speed other wasn't affecting them or it's so minutely it's not going to be readily noticed.

You don't need an abacus or a ruler to look at numbers on the screen for dot ticks and record them to compare.

I don't remember you indicating the difference in skill speed in your tests back then. Based on what we know now, that 100 skill speed can either mean a 0.03s or 0.04s improvement on your GCD timer and about 1.38% damage increase per DoT tick. RIP Skill Speed

dcye

I could add commas maybe and it'd make more sense.

Basically the pinnacle of BRD deeps in the opener is popping everything, then barraging EA. You get three big-for-bard numbers in rapid succession, and when the buffed Barrage EA has a crit in it you get a really big number that is also visually large. It's just good visual feedback.

Barrage only works on non-crits. If EA crits then the barrage effect isn't applied and is used on your next non-crits weaponskill (usually Heavy Shot or Straight Shot I guess). I think that's the point he was trying to make anyways.

Biggest number you see is usually always the fully buffed sidewinder in your opener, or when you hold your CDs for the first vulnerability phase in Rav EX.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Did some ARC leveling over the weekend and it's quite fun. Different enough from a BLM because of managing the dots that I don't hate it right off the bat.

Finally got that Blood for Blood for my main class too.

Top Bottom