• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Why they couldnt give you a little more Eso's for EX roulette? Man the grind is going to be 2.0 AK/WP levels of bad.

The expert roulette gives 35, but the dungeon itself gives 40 on completion from last boss, so at 75 per expert roulette, you can cap just doing 1 per day.

Tash

So upgraded SCH AF 3 / fabled results to the following stats:

SS: 242
VIT: 413
PIE: 431
MIN: 623
CRI: 156
DET: 200

Calculating with one ring only.
Where is ma crit?! and still no acc..already missing with Drain on Alex NM :/

and WHAT?

"An issue wherein skipping the Company Workshop cutscene could allow a player to access company chests belonging to other free companies of which the player was not a member."

Rektash

This happens in every mmo with a gear treadmill though, there will be people who will not be able to get the same things as others.

Oh, yeah, it has been like this since the dawn of MMOs, I completly agree on that. I am pretty impartial as to if this a good or bad system. There are arguments for and against it. The majority of raiders will say this is a good system because they stress getting something to show for their exceptionalism and I can understand that. A lot of non raiders will say the system is unfairly in favor of raiders as there is no real equivalent content for raids that reap similar rewards and are similarly challenging outside of the raid environment.

Esoterics will be handout enough as is, why does everyone need to be able to get the same things

I answerd this before. At the end of the day people just don't like it if they are left behind and can't have the same stuff as others. That is just human nature tbh.

if most aren't even willing to put in the effort it takes to be up there with raiders?

That is a malign assumption about people who don't raid. There are plenty good reasons not to raid besides not beeing willing to put in the work. No reason to paint people that don't raid as lazy slackers.

Not everything needs to be handed out, because that is the only way some people will be happy with new things.

To sum it up, this is just a conflict of interest between raiders and non raiders.

Honestly, the coffers should have been tokens and for it to be a 1:1 ratio. So you can spread out your gear among your group / static.

They designed the current token systems around playing with strangers instead of with static mates.

Huh, I thought it designed specifically for statics. You'd get the biggest coffer yield if nobody in the party has cleared it that week and the tokens are guaranteed drop for everybody so you'd only need to clear it once per week anyway.

It would be hard to gather a group of capable strangers with that criteria, yar? But with statics, you just need to schedule four clears per week with the agreement that nobody would clear outside the static beforehand.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I answerd this before. At the end of the day people just don't like it if they are left behind and can't have the same stuff as others. That is just human nature tbh.

Well, good news is that there's always a choice. You can fume with envy, or you can man up and work towards obtaining said rewards! I mean, that's how life works.

Sorian

Banned
Huh, I thought it designed specifically for statics. You'd get the biggest coffer yield if nobody in the party has cleared it that week and the tokens are guaranteed drop for everybody so you'd only need to clear it once per week anyway.

It would be hard to gather a group of capable strangers with that criteria, yar?

He means they should have just dropped a token that is rolled on and that token purchases a piece of gear. For example, this chest in A1 drops one head token, whoever wins can then go trade that one head token for any head piece. As opposed to this system where a random piece of loot drops but hey, you get this currency that might be useful in a few months.

Rising_Hei

Why they couldnt give you a little more Eso's for EX roulette? Man the grind is going to be 2.0 AK/WP levels of bad.

It is going to be worse. I bet they want people to grind more for their gear so they can retain more subs :)

How do you know the last boss is going to give 40? it's probably going to be less

He means they should have just dropped a token that is rolled on and that token purchases a piece of gear. For example, this chest in A1 drops one head token, whoever wins can then go trade that one head token for any head piece. As opposed to this system where a random piece of loot drops but hey, you get this currency that might be useful in a few months.

But still, you couldn't get that chest anyway unless you could consistently find more than 4 strangers that haven't cleared but are capable of clearing.

Sorian

Banned
But still, you couldn't farm that chest anyway unless you could consistently find more than 4 strangers that haven't cleared but are capable of clearing.

You can't farm the chest regardless, you only get one token a week per floor, you don't get additional items just because there are other new people in the group, once you've cleared once that's your only chance of seeing/rolling on loot and getting your token drop.

Kenai

I was kinda hoping they'd go the WoW way and have like, 1 specificed tank, 1 healer, 2 dps on one token, and then have said token be rolled on, but which token it will be is random.

I guess that isn't random enough for them tho since you usually had to clear through the first 2-3 bosses in WoW to get to the first tokens like that.

Tabris

But still, you couldn't get that chest anyway unless you could consistently find more than 4 strangers that haven't cleared but are capable of clearing.

No, I am saying a normal weekly chest lockout same as Coil. So 2 items per turn for the 8 people. The only difference from Coil is instead of "Helm of Fending" dropping have a "Helm Token" that can be used on any helmet. Have things like Chest Tokens and Weapon Tokens drop in T4, Leg Tokens and Helm Tokens in T3, etc, etc. This keeps the current system but just ensures bad RNG is not an issue for gearing your group.

Tash

I miss the good old EQ2 days where you had no ilevel but a shitton of lvl 50 gear to choose from and mix and match to your hearts content in regards to stats and what you wanted to focus on for your class..

All feels so railroad - no thinking..no choices..no nothing
Well, besides STR Tanks :p

Sorian

Banned
I don't think 1:1 works with how the current slots are weighted.

What do you mean? When I said 1:1 token to gear conversion, I was also saying the token would be the only thing that drops. Just taking the RNG out of it (lol)

I miss the good old EQ2 days where you had no ilevel but a shitton of lvl 50 gear to choose from and mix and match to your hearts content in regards to stats and what you wanted to focus on for your class..

Go on a date with Tabris, you can discuss antiquated game mechanics over candlelight.

You can't farm the chest regardless, you only get one token a week per floor, you don't get additional items just because there are other new people in the group, once you've cleared once that's your only chance of seeing/rolling on loot and getting your token drop.

Indeed. So how would that be a system "designed around playing with strangers", then, if it'd be so hard to actually find enough strangers with the exact right criteria (also haven't cleared it before) just to even see a coffer drop?

Doing it with a static might not be convenient, but doing it with strangers is even more so.

Sorian

Banned
Indeed. So how would that be a system "designed around playing with strangers", then, if it'd be so hard to actually find enough strangers with the exact right criteria (also haven't cleared it before) just to even see a chest?

Idk, I didn't say it was built for strangers, I was just clarifying a point.

Ken

What do you mean? When I said 1:1 token to gear conversion, I was also saying the token would be the only thing that drops. Just taking the RNG out of it (lol)

Oh, sure why not. But with how the token to ratio gear is for guaranteed stuff, it seems like the last thing they want is people being "done" with Alex Savage quickly with class agnostic drops.

I wonder if RNG and surprise (awful) drops is a staple of JP game design.

Baleoce

Not a fan of vertical progression either. The secondary stats and gear customization in general for this game are very dull.

Sorian

Banned
Oh, sure why not. But with how the token to ratio gear is for guaranteed stuff, it seems like the last thing they want is people being "done" with Alex Savage quickly with class agnostic drops.

I wonder if RNG and surprise (awful) drops is a staple of JP game design.

I mean, if you find a guy with that "got mine" attitude and let him just take what he wants then sure, that system would lead to people being "done" with savage quick but let's be real, most people are running these things with other normal people who all want loot. Even if every single piece of gear that drops is relevant, 2 per floor, 4 floors, 8 people. Thats still a lot of weeks. Especially since most aren't full clearing starting at week 1.

Rising_Hei

Lol, it'll be 40. Doing exdr once a day for 6/7 days will get you to cap, just like always.

Not like always, in 2.1 it was much easier to cap and they have been gradually making it worse. I don't see why it would be different this time

Well it does give 40 but the other 2 don't give a shit, so it's still the same.

WolvenOne

gimme dat fukken gordian axe.

I concur. The Esoteric axe is a nice place-holder, (all that Crit,) but the Gordian Axe is clearly better. Lots of Determination, soooooo much Skill Speed, most importantly though there's no parry on the thing.

It is slightly strange that they're only 210 in both cases, but I guess theoretically you don't need to clear S-A4 to get the weapons this time around.

Tabris

Go on a date with Tabris, you can discuss antiquated game mechanics over candlelight.

First, I'm an expensive date so he would have to take me to a 3-star michelin restaurant, can't just drop a candlelight and except me to give it up.

Second, how is having gear options antiquated?

Indeed. So how would that be a system "designed around playing with strangers", then, if it'd be so hard to actually find enough strangers with the exact right criteria (also haven't cleared it before) just to even see a coffer drop?

Doing it with a static might not be convenient, but doing it with strangers is even more so.

Because with strangers, everyone would lot for the Helm Token (from example above) instead of distributing to each other. So current system is making it for PFers and DF in the future, not for groups that look after each other's gear and distribute themselves.

Sorian

Banned
Not like always, in 2.1 it was much easier to cap and they have been gradually making it worse. I don't see why it would be different this time

2.1 didn't have a fresh tome. Esoterics will probably be easier to cap in 3.1. It's all the same ebb and flow ever since they introduced DRs. This argument is moot anyway, someone already linked you to the 40 esoterics on last boss.

Sorian

Banned
First, I'm an expensive date so he would have to take me to a 3-star michelin restaurant, can't just drop a candlelight and except me to give it up.

Second, how is having gear options antiquated?

I read it as all horizontal progression with no vertical progression. That is antiquated from today's perspective. With that being said, there's an easy whynotboth.gif answer and it's kind of there seeing that we, again, have two sets of ilvl 210 gear to choose from to mix and match.

Edit: Thread moves too slow, game is ded. Someone should have gotten a post in between my two easily.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I concur. The Esoteric axe is a nice place-holder, (all that Crit,) but the Gordian Axe is clearly better. Lots of Determination, soooooo much Skill Speed, most importantly though there's no parry on the thing.

It is slightly strange that they're only 210 in both cases, but I guess theoretically you don't need to clear S-A4 to get the weapons this time around.

Yes you do, only turn 4 gives you the pages to buy weapons or gobdips

Ken

I mean, if you find a guy with that "got mine" attitude and let him just take what he wants then sure, that system would lead to people being "done" with savage quick but let's be real, most people are running these things with other normal people who all want loot. Even if every single piece of gear that drops is relevant, 2 per floor, 4 floors, 8 people. Thats still a lot of weeks. Especially since most aren't full clearing starting at week 1.

Maybe they don't want to null the Job Need roll option for pugs? I don't know.

Besides how much the guaranteed drops cost, I'm mostly ok with the current system.

Sorian

Banned
Maybe they don't want to null the Need option for pugs? I don't know.

Japanese game devs love RNG.

MMO game devs love RNG.

FFXIV will always be the perfect storm of "pls understand" when it comes to bad luck in drops.

Did not catch that in the patch notes. In this case I revise my previous statement, it's weird that the Gordian Weapons are only 210.

It's ok, they will make them ilvl 215 in 3.1 so that people whining can feel special with their gold star weapon.

Rising_Hei

2.1 didn't have a fresh tome. Esoterics will probably be easier to cap in 3.1. It's all the same ebb and flow ever since they introduced DRs. This argument is moot anyway, someone already linked you to the 40 esoterics on last boss.

Soldierys weren't this hard to cap either, i think they started the trend with poetics, but they make the changes subtles and the fanbase seems to accept anything Yoshi-P does. Like many other things, making everything you do useless after only 6 months is just another example :/ so we all have to grind nonstop and will only be geared enough for a short while until a new patch with better gear comes out. I remember the times were only expansions did this, and even if it had a gap of 2 years between each grind it didn't felt nice to me.

Sorian

Banned

WolvenOne

It's ok, they will make them ilvl 215 in 3.1 so that people whining can feel special with their gold star weapon.

Dat sarcasm tho.

Don't care that much, seeing as the five ilvls doesn't make that much difference. It's just a bit distinct from the previous system they had going.

Sorian

Banned
Dat sarcasm tho.

Don't care that much, seeing as the five ilvls doesn't make that much difference. It's just a bit distinct from the previous system they had going.

It's good, it's back to the original intent back in 2.0 days. People will start clearing A4 though and then they will cry on forums because they don't feel special enough because their weapon doesn't have a bigger number and they worked so hard for it. So they'll get thrown a useless +5 ilvl bone.

BadRNG

No DRK changes.
Token system cost so high you are still RNG's bitch.
Overly expensive melded crafted gear again going to be way too good.
Terrible Adrenaline Rush/Battle Fever system in new PvP mode.

What a great patch.

Tash

Sorry, I am a girl so, I totally expect you to pay. Unless you are a girl, then we can settle it with some girl on girl action I guess.

How is having options, antiquated. It's not my fault they decided that every MMO that came out in recent years has to be for dummies. I prefer to have options and make my own decisions when it comes to my char and I miss that, badly. There is always room for a mix between the "old school" systems and the system that is gated and railroaded imo. And no, the crafted gear/materia system is not cutting it in that regard.

Anyway, it's what it is. I just realized I really start to miss that old system.

Top Bottom