• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

PvP with us Angary, get tomes the cool way.

Good luck making any progress in savage during the next 3 weeks with no rav weapon.

I doubt I'll do savage anyway without a static. Maybe randomly jump in a gaf group once people have it down.

But yes, esoterics must be farmed with pvp. Flames farm group go.

i200 and then you can upgrade them by doing Alexander Savage to i210.

So they've decided to go back to 2.0 and two weapons of the highest ilevel value, interesting. I wonder if they will walk back on this too.

Edit : Well I guess since you have to do savage for both, it is quite different.

Jeels

No. All tome left-side equipment is job-specific AF2. Alex gear is shared by type.

This is going to blow early on for job flexibility; gonna have to commit to one thing for a while.

No, this is all AF gear which means it's all job locked. All healers get their own, both casters have different sets, three tank sets, etc.

Good luck making any progress in savage during the next 3 weeks with no rav weapon.

Esoteric gear is job specific, separate one for each.

It's going to take me months to get gear for my two classes. :(

Sorian

Banned
So they've decided to go back to 2.0 and two weapons of the highest ilevel value, interesting. I wonder if they will walk back on this too.

Edit : Well I guess since you have to do savage for both, it is quite different.

Gotta do A4, specifically, for both. So, yeah, hoping they don't go back on this one. Happy to have two weapon selections.

Omni

I'm still kinda new to the game as I've been playing less than a month. What do you guys mean by dps and how do you tell if you're doing enough?

I play as a bard right now but some of the numbers I'm reading just seem insane >.>

Unfortunately, someone else will have to swing that question for you. I'm not in a position to check anything in game at the moment. I'd be highly surprised if Fire IV potency is less than thunder IIIs with thundercloud. They might be the same though which opens up options. If you are on the 25 second enochian or the 20 second enochian, you will probably be leaving unused MP on the table though to get back into ice stance in time and knock off a blizz IV (or before buff just drops completely on the 20 second one).

Edit: Speaking of, you know what change I would have liked? If my enochian falls up, interrupt my damn cast. Nothing worse than me not noticing and I start a fire IV cast just as enochain falls and the game still lets me complete the whole cast just so nothing can happen.

Yeah spell speed is gonna be for Black Mages down the line I think

Sorian

Banned
I'm still kinda new to the game as I've been playing less than a month. What do you guys mean dps and how do you tell if you're doing enough?

I play as a bard right now but some of the numbers I'm reading are just seen insane >.>

Damage per second.

There are third party programs that you can have open that read the combat logs and spit out the numbers for you. ACT or Advanced Combat Tracker is the main one (only one?) for FFXIV. Don't talk about them in game around strangers, officially, they are against ToS, in reality, it's basically a don't ask, don't tell policy in that the devs know we use them but they just don't want to see the community bullying players.

Ferr986

It kinda sucks for me seeing how long it takes to gear just 1 job with the new AF.

I know they need do to something like that so people keep subbing/playing but honestly it makes me lose the interest on grinding seeing how the results are so far away (especially since I don't see myself doing Savage anytime soon).
1 piece/week would be more tolerable.

Probably wouldnt care as much if it wasn't the new AF. Always liked these.

iammeiam

I don't know how to cool. I'll ask the turrets but I don't think they do either.

It's going to take me months to get gear for my two classes. :(

I'm less worried about the time required to gear up (although no longer having everything-but-the-weapon parity between BRD/MCH or WHM/AST will suck), than the truly insane amount of armory space this is going to require long-term.

It kinda sucks for me seeing how long it takes to gear just 1 job with the new AF.

I know they need do to something like that so people keep subbing/playing but honestly it makes me lose the interest on grinding seeing how the results are so far away (especially since I don't see myself doing Savage anytime soon).
1 piece/week would be more tolerable.

Probably wouldnt care as much if it wasn't the new AF. Always liked these.

Aye, I'm probably nearing the end of my current ff14 career soon. Been playing since January, saw a good amount of stuff, first xpac launch is always a blast, and now the final bit of raid content. I just hope they get the 24 man dungeon out in the next month or two. After that it will probably be it for me until next xpac.

Valnen

I believe that's the point.

It's bad design. They shouldn't give people the flexibility to switch jobs on the fly but only REALLY allow you to play one job end game. I'm willing to suck it up because this game is otherwise amazing, but they really need to improve a few things like this.

Razzorn34

It's bad design. They shouldn't give people the flexibility to switch jobs on the fly but only REALLY allow you to play one job end game. I'm willing to suck it up because this game is otherwise amazing, but they really need to improve a few things like this.

They do it to slow down player progress and keep that carrot going. People eat it up. Once more content comes out, you'll see them relax on the requirements a bit. That's the current trend, and it won't be changing any time soon.

Clipse

Now that AF2 is finally out, I'm torn between maining PLD or DRK. I enjoy playing PLD more, but their AF2 is awful. I find DRK okay, but I've wanted their AF2 ever since the Lv.50 job quest cutscenes. Glamour truly is the endgame.

Valnen

They do it to slow down player progress and keep that carrot going. People eat it up. Once more content comes out, you'll see them relax on the requirements a bit. That's the current trend, and it won't be changing any time soon.

Do you agree with this design?

Problem is if that they just let you run Alex Normal/Savage or any other content like it 24/7 no gating you know you'll do just that and gear up all your classes in a week and then be done with the game and end you sub till more content.

At the end of the day you have to remember this is a subscription game and these things come with the territory. I cannot think of a single MMO that doesn't have some sort of system to slow down players.

Sorian

Banned
Do you agree with this design?

I know you aren't asking me but I do.

Nothing wrong with expecting people to specialize when they get to true end game. This gear is, literally, only there for savage alexander. Everything else is easily clearable without this gear. I think it's a perfectly valid expectation to expect someone to be pidgeonholed into one job during this early progression in savage Alex.

Klyka

Banned
So after getting all the cross class skills I need, again reading up on new lvl 60 rotations and changing my keybinds around + learning them again, I can now pull the following numbers on my NIN:

A) In a fight where I do not have to move away from the boss and he has no invulnerable times, I can stay at or very very close to 1000dps when all goes well. Usually 900-950 though.

B) If the fight has some running around with dodging AOEs where I can not always hit the boss I usually do 750-800dps.

C) If it's a fight where I have to run to adds, do other mechanics or the boss has invul phases and such so I can't keep hitting anything, I usually end up with 560-650 dps.

So far there have been very few instances where I was not the top or at least in the top 2 of DPS. I have only seen 3 people who have done DPS where I just went "wtf? how?" and only one of them was a fellow Ninja who outgeared me by at least 15 iLvL.

I lliterally do not know how to press these buttons any better than I do now. Especially with Mudra lag cause I play in EU. WTFast helps,but only a little.

So,yeah,if people have any tips, I feel I am scrub Ninja :(

Valnen

I know you aren't asking me but I do.

Nothing wrong with expecting people to specialize when they get to true end game. This gear is, literally, only there for savage alexander. Everything else is easily clearable without this gear. I think it's a perfectly valid expectation to expect someone to be pidgeonholed into one job during this early progression in savage Alex.

Why even let people change jobs if they can only play one in end game?

Omni

Damage per second.

There are third party programs that you can have open that read the combat logs and spit out the numbers for you. ACT or Advanced Combat Tracker is the main one (only one?) for FFXIV. Don't talk about them in game around strangers, officially, they are against ToS, in reality, it's basically a don't ask, don't tell policy in that the devs know we use them but they just don't want to see the community bullying players.
So on PS4 I'm kinda outta luck? Hmm. That's annoying!

What would a bard be looking for, anyway?

So after getting all the cross class skills I need, again reading up on new lvl 60 rotations and changing my keybinds around + learning them again, I can now pull the following numbers on my NIN:

A) In a fight where I do not have to move away from the boss and he has no invulnerable times, I can stay at or very very close to 1000dps when all goes well. Usually 900-950 though.

B) If the fight has some running around with dodging AOEs where I can not always hit the boss I usually do 750-800dps.

C) If it's a fight where I have to run to adds, do other mechanics or the boss has invul phases and such so I can't keep hitting anything, I usually end up with 560-650 dps.

So far there have been very few instances where I was not the top or at least in the top 2 of DPS. I have only seen 3 people who have done DPS where I just went "wtf? how?" and only one of them was a fellow Ninja who outgeared me by at least 15 iLvL.

I lliterally do not know how to press these buttons any better than I do now. Especially with Mudra lag cause I play in EU. WTFast helps,but only a little.

So,yeah,if people have any tips, I feel I am scrub Ninja :(

Did you miss the convo on the last page. You are actually better than 99% of other players with those numbers.

LaneDS

Can someone see if high level roulette now awards experience from enemy kills if you're in that 50-59 range?

edit: Reddit says this is still a no.

Sorian

Banned

This is a strongly story-based MMO and they've shown how serious they are with forcing people through all of the story before they can even touch heavensward. Being able to be any job in the game avoids the issue that would come up of having to have alts for anything you'd want to play. Could you imagine if this was an alt heavy game like most MMOs because of being locked into your class at character creation and you had to do all story stuff for each alt? That's why. You're running savage once a week with a core group of players (if you are doing savage at all), it is not detrimental to you to be expected to be in one job during that.

So on PS4 I'm kinda outta luck? Hmm. That's annoying!

What would a bard be looking for, anyway?

Yes, on PS4, someone else will have to give you your numbers. If they are in range of you, their ACT will pick you up.

Klyka

Banned
Did you miss the convo on the last page. You are actually better than 99% of other players with those numbers.

I...did not.
I only ever see posts like "if you don't do 1000+ dps you suck" so I thought that's like, the number to have at lvl 60 with decent gear.
Alright then, guess I am pressing these buttons pretty ok then.

royox

So the job system basically only exists for casuals? That doesn't seem lame to anyone else?

Ehhh....nope? What are you supposed to do when your main job is full equiped or you wait till the hour you play with your static? I lvl up a DRK (I want a tank class to do fast roulettes) and a BLM because my main is SMN and they can share the gear.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
990 is interesting since it's three weeks with 360 tomes left over.

Might be able to snag an accessory week one maybe (no idea on the pricing for anything else)? And not delay the weapon out of week three.

Man. EXDR going back to practically mandatory. So much Neverreap in the future.

Nope, you'll come 15 tomes short.

iammeiam

While I am ultimately unhappy with the lack of Tome Gear of Aiming/Healing/Casting/Fending, I think it's pretty obvious why they allow job swapping. You'll essentially be locked in to one job for early progression stuff, but after two or three months or so you'll have excess tomes to spend gearing up alt classes. If you ultimately decide to job change by 3.2 and the second part of Alex, you'll be able to do so much easier than if you had to roll a new character. You'll also be able to do literally everything except Savage on any or all jobs in the meantime; you're only locked out of a small portion of the content flexibility-wise.

This is kind of a weird balance between letting everyone be everything and prolonging gear progression.

Welp. That's hilarious. Nice they discounted the weapon I guess.

Sorian

Banned
Ehhh....nope? What are you supposed to do when your main job is full equiped or you wait till the hour you play with your static? I lvl up a DRK (I want a tank class to do fast roulettes) and a BLM because my main is SMN and they can share the gear.

Probably not the best example since the thing he is arguing about is because things like BLM and SMN are not sharing gear in this case :p

RIP

Arkeband

Banned
I wonder if the DRG esoteric armor is going to work with Miqo'te tails.

Because in the default pose our tails are off-center so we're left with things like the ever-useful butthole ports.

oceczkL.png

This has seriously been driving me nuts since 2.0. Do Au'ra tails do this?

Sorian

Banned
I wonder if the DRG esoteric armor is going to work with Miqo'te tails.

Because in the default pose our tails are off-center so we're left with things like the ever-useful butthole ports.

oceczkL.png

This has seriously been driving me nuts since 2.0. Do Au'ra tails do this?

Not sure, but still not as hilarious as the tail boner that the caster tutu used to give cats

royox

Probably not the best example since the thing he is arguing about is because things like BLM and SMN are not sharing gear in this case :p

Maybe...but isn't it the same with every MMO? You have 1 "main character" (or job in this case) and you lvl up alters just for fun or because who knows if tomorrow I want to rerroll as a tank or a healer?

Valnen

Maybe...but isn't it the same with every MMO? You have 1 "main character" (or job in this case) and you lvl up alters just for fun or because who knows if tomorrow I want to rerroll as a tank or a healer?

The job system was supposed to make this game different from every other MMO. That's my problem with locking people into one job for progression content.

Tash

So, judging from how low the overall crit is on 210 SCH gear including the weapon (no crit at all - 156 max plus possible 2nd ring) it's save to assume they are now starting to also make secondary stats less important. Why not just give everyone a premade and geared char now? They even take that option away with the best gear.

Also while they are at it - remove the crit component to adlo since it's going to be hardly important anymore unless you beg your crafter friends to hq you the highest crafted gear so you can slot accordingly.

Just spam PvP in all honesty, you're getting 20 esoterics each go and the queue is on fire.

In that regard, I am like the only flame in a sea of "whatevermyfcis" - how hard is it to change GC and get it up to max again? Is it even possible to change?

Sorian

Banned
The job system was supposed to make this game different from every other MMO. That's my problem with locking people into one job for progression content.

The point was to make the alting experience easier and more concise. I don't think it was ever intended or expected from the majority that it would mean you'd be tanking the first turn this week then dpsing the second and then healing the next two.

So, judging from how low the overall crit is on 210 SCH gear including the weapon (no crit at all - 156 max plus possible 2nd ring) it's save to assume they are now starting to also make secondary stats less important. Why not just give everyone a premade and geared char now? They even take that option away with the best gear.

Also while they are at it - remove the crit component to adlo since it's going to be hardly important anymore unless you beg your crafter friends to hq you the highest crafted gear so you can slot accordingly.

Oh dear, the salt is falling down onto my post. I think it fell into my eyes.

In that regard, I am like the only flame in a sea of "whatevermyfcis" - how hard is it to change GC and get it up to max again? Is it even possible to change?

Not hard to change at all, you can only change once every two weeks though. And it's only as hard as you find seal spamming to be. You don't need to be max to get into FL though (don't remember exact rank you need to be sitting at).

Valnen

The point was to make the alting experience easier and more concise. I don't think it was ever intended or expected from the majority that it would mean you'd be tanking the first turn this week then dpsing the second and then healing the next two
What's wrong with letting players be flexible? People eventually do that anyway.

iammeiam

The point was to make the alting experience easier and more concise. I don't think it was ever intended or expected from the majority that it would mean you'd be tanking the first turn this week then dpsing the second and then healing the next two.

I will say it's really unfortunate that they went this route with this specific patch. We have three new, largely unproven jobs that are swaps for the proven ones. Sold/poetics/law gear would let you main DRK but keep PLD geared as a backup just in case you found a fight that was really rough on a DRK MT, or let you try to main AST in Nocturnal sect but keep SCH fairly well geared as a fallback. Now that there are viable actual options for raid slots in the shared gear sets (aside from caster, which was always a slot with options), they remove the shared tome gear. Do it sooner so it was already normal, or do it next content tier after the new jobs have been fully balanced out, now was just odd.

Uthred

This happens in every mmo with a gear treadmill though, there will be people who will not be able to get the same things as others. Esoterics will be handout enough as is, why does everyone need to be able to get the same things if most aren't even willing to put in the effort it takes to be up there with raiders? Not everything needs to be handed out, because that is the only way some people will be happy with new things.

It's not just a question of being willing, theres the issues of being able to do it. But I dont think theres much of an issue with letting the more hardcore raider segment get the best gear now and get the people who cant or wont raid get it further down the line. You can get your iconic class look without raiding so thats something.

Sorian

Banned
What's wrong with letting players be flexible? People eventually do that anyway.

People eventually do that because the fights become easier with experience. No one serious about progression would be hopping around different roles this early in the cycle even with the choice.

I will say it's really unfortunate that they went this route with this specific patch. We have three new, largely unproven jobs that are swaps for the proven ones. Sold/poetics/law gear would let you main DRK but keep PLD geared as a backup just in case you found a fight that was really rough on a DRK MT, or let you try to main AST in Nocturnal sect but keep SCH fairly well geared as a fallback. Now that there are viable actual options for raid slots in the shared gear sets (aside from caster, which was always a slot with options), they remove the shared tome gear. Do it sooner so it was already normal, or do it next content tier after the new jobs have been fully balanced out, now was just odd.

While this is a fair point, I'm going to say that this is probably one of the reason why Alex savage didn't happen for a whole month. Those that want to take a gamble on DRK, MCH, or AST already have that job up and ready to go. Yes, it's a shame that a DRK can't keep PLD on reserve for the better CDs or an AST can't fall back into their SCH but for all this defense I'm throwing in for them, let's be real for a second.

They didn't put any thought to this, they had no where else good to put AF2 gear so it became tome gear. AF inherently means job specific, they said "fuck it" and figured it wouldn't matter.

aceface

Yeah I'm upset SCH gear didn't get much crit either but it seems like one job gets shat on every gear cycle. Just briefly looking earlier it looks like this time SMN got all the crit.

Top Bottom