• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
What exactly does "AF" stand for in relation to gear?

Artifact armor (just artifact in regards to the abbreviation), just the term the community used for the iconic looking gear. So the white robes for a WHM or the pointy hat and stuff for a BLM. It's what they will be putting all of the jobs in during a lot of their promotional stuff during content cycles so this new AF2 armor is what we will be seeing a lot of in artwork during 3.x series.

Tabris

Yeah I'm upset SCH gear didn't get much crit either but it seems like one job gets shat on every gear cycle. Just briefly looking earlier it looks like this time SMN got all the crit.

Unless T4's acc cap is 800+ on front, tanks got pretty screwed with their gearing this cycle.

iammeiam

While this is a fair point, I'm going to say that this is probably one of the reason why Alex savage didn't happen for a whole month. Those that want to take a gamble on DRK, MCH, or AST already have that job up and ready to go.

I mean, I have MCH up and raid ready, but I also have Bard as a fallback. There are specific potential pain points in fights I know I'd cope better with on Bard (specifically timing adds and boss jumps with Wildfire is a concern for me that may or may not be entirely invalidated depending on how things go, since there's no way to early detonate WF) and it was nice to more or less go all in on the new thing while knowing I had the old thing ready in case I'm holding my group back because new things are hard (...more than I normally do, at least.)

That sort of falls apart with my first Eso left-side purchase. I'm still doing it because Bard is boring now, but... Eh.
They didn't put any thought to this, they had no where else good to put AF2 gear so it became tome gear. AF inherently means job specific, they said "fuck it" and figured it wouldn't matter.

This is the right answer though. You win.

Tabris

I dunno why this is being called AF2, it's totally AF3.

The joke is that the mob has no front, back, or side. It is a boss that allows positional bonuses from all angles. Riou pls.

post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

dcye

Should've made the Law gear the AF, its cheap and super easy to get loads of so the job-specific aspect wouldn't be a huge issue.

I only ever see posts like "if you don't do 1000+ dps you suck"

Are you seeing these posts in your dreams or are you on hallucinogens? Can't say I've ever seen a post like that in here and I read every single one.

Yeah I'm upset SCH gear didn't get much crit either but it seems like one job on every gear cycle. Just briefly looking earlier it looks like this time SMN got all the crit.

Let me introduce you to my good friend Mr. BRD.

Klyka

Banned
Are you seeing these posts in your dreams or are you on hallucinogens? Can't say I've ever seen a post like that in here and I read every single one.

Oh no no not here on GAF.
Maybe Reddit and 4chan are not the best places to get proper opinions on things...

scy

~6500-ish range of raid DPS (+/- since AoE splash stuff?) means we'll be clearing Faust at least.
inb4 a lockout of Faust

Yeah I'm upset SCH gear didn't get much crit either but it seems like one job gets shat on every gear cycle. Just briefly looking earlier it looks like this time SMN got all the crit.

master race

I'm not sure I believe that.

It depends on what you're expecting for swapping, I guess. Based off reading over these complaints, it's BLM <-> SMN? Very, very few people actively swapped roles per fight in Final Coil. If you were one of the <1% that bothered with it, I'm sorry I guess? I'm not sure I see the benefit of doing that here but that's the only old case of swapping I can think of that really mattered; it sucks to lose that as an option but I'm curious what gain that really was after like ... week 1-2. I will agree it puts Tanks, Healers, Casters, and Ranged in a set-in-stone for progression thing but I'm not entirely sold on that being a problem yet.

If it's any other one role <-> role, nobody really did that for static progression. If this is about filling vacancies in random PFs, I'm still not sure I believe that was a thing until several weeks (months) in and the same can be done here really except class-by-class basis for gearing (via tomes) vs role-by-role. All this says to me is I'll gear my main raid class, my main alt class (tank/DRK?), and then melee DPS was a unique set of gear. Realistically, to me, nothing changed? By the time I was seriously contemplating doing, say, PLD or WAR for any kind of tanking thing, I was looking at needing the weapon and that dictated choices.

I guess I just find it hard to imagine a scenario during early lockout where I'm SMN one week and tank the next. I don't really think this has changed much of anything except that it's a class-by-class basis of gearing (through esoterics) and any raid drops still funnel into my alt class as per normal. I mostly just feel sorry for BRD/MCH players who were on the fence, though I guess this may apply to BLM/SMN too.

Idk, ask Scy what he thinks. He does like everything in end game. At this stage, his opinion would probably be more valid than mine in terms of this particular point.

\o/

Oh no no not here on GAF.
Maybe Reddit and 4chan are not the best places to get proper opinions on things...

Hm ... realistically, 1k+ for most jobs is pretty good (BRD/MCH probably pared down to 850-ish+?). It's fight dependent as hell but, for instance, A4's end is basically a training dummy so ~1000+ is pretty much where you expect your geared melee to reach near the end, even if they get kidnapped a lot.

So, yeah, assuming a training dummy fight for melee, ~900-1k+ is a good spot to be, ~700-800 has a bit of room to improve, ~600 and below is questionable. There's variance on job and flow of the fight, certainly, but most of these hold true even in the worst of it.

Klyka

Banned
So btw, I am not 100% sure what exactly a Ninja brings to the table as a DPS.

Is it the trick attack + slashing debuff?

Basically, if you had your picks of DPS where all players are geared and skilled the same, why would you choose a NIN over another class and vice versa?

MogCakes

Well then, I suppose I won't be throwing away the single shaft piece that I have in my inventory. Weapon first it is. And seems I'll have to do Alex savage no matter what.

Jeels

I don't know how to cool. I'll ask the turrets but I don't think they do either.

I'm less worried about the time required to gear up (although no longer having everything-but-the-weapon parity between BRD/MCH or WHM/AST will suck), than the truly insane amount of armory space this is going to require long-term.

I believe that's the point.

I'm just hoping I find the machinist gear ugly so I can focus on my war.

scy

Basically, if you had your picks of DPS where all players are geared and skilled the same, why would you choose a NIN over another class and vice versa?

Trick Attack; ideally you have a Warrior giving the Slashing Debuff since it's a win/win for individual DPS. Besides that, Goad for the TP starved classes (aka, just Goad the DRK they'll probably need it) and the aggro-control stuff is really nice for some min-max stuff or just peace of mind for letting everyone do all-in openers.

Reknoc

Cute rabbits.

Sorian

Banned

Not sure if serious, but because of how positionals are calculated on the A4 boss, tanks probably won't have a higher acc cap than everyone else. It'll be the same across the board for everyone (which probably means tanks can drop some acc in that one in particular) except for casters who will be slightly lower for reasons.

fedexpeon

Banned
I wonder how long it will take for the top FC to start selling loots/runs for real money?
1 month?

BTW, is piloting service a common feature in FF14? Basically, playing top players will play your FC static characters to ensure your FC be ranked in the top 25 by clearing all the contents and recording your "achievement" for your website.

Uthred

Some of the esoteric pieces look a bit "off" compared to the preview, the BLM hat being an odd cream colour is a good example. Guess the advertised iconic look actually is for raiders only at the moment.

Sorian

Banned

I was debating on whether I had to say your name 3 times for you to show up but I guess I didn't need to worry.

I wonder how long it will take for the top FC to start selling loots/runs for real money?
1 month?

BTW, is piloting service a common feature in FF14? Basically, playing top players will play your FC static characters to ensure your FC be ranked in the top 25 by clearing all the contents and recording your "achievement" for your website.

lol, your bad posts continue to amaze.

Do the fieldcraft jobs ever develop beyond repeating the same +25% bonus exp leve over and over? Because that's all I've been doing the last 10 levels.

Tabris

Not sure if serious, but because of how positionals are calculated on the A4 boss, tanks probably won't have a higher acc cap than everyone else. It'll be the same across the board for everyone (which probably means tanks can drop some acc in that one in particular) except for casters who will be slightly lower for reasons.

Pretty sure all the A4 boss components have positional. Moara is always moving from side to back, so I just assumed.

Unless you mean that I can tank it from the back since it doesn't move. But I can't due to the AOE missile it hits me with, which then hits others around me.

Plus pretty sure I'll need VIT accessories if Discord is supercharged.

fedexpeon

Banned
I was debating on whether I had to say your name 3 times for you to show up but I guess I didn't need to worry.

lol, your bad posts continue to amaze.

Why?
It is a common services in every MMO I have played to sell loots/contents.
Heck, back in WoW, we did the same thing to get people their legendary and making sure their guild will get the achievement to be ranked.

FF14 should be the same no?

iammeiam

Anyone know if Skillspeed impacts turret attack speed?

Desperately trying to find a silver lining to this gear situation (there are apparently NO aiming earrings i180+ without skillspeed. Why Yoshi why.)

Sorian

Banned
Pretty sure all the A4 boss components have positional. Moara is always moving from side to back, so I just assumed.

Unless you mean that I can tank it from the back since it doesn't move. But I can't due to the AOE missile it hits me with, which then hits others around me.

Plus pretty sure I'll need VIT accessories if Discord is supercharged.

Manipulator himself does. The legs do not, they have the circle.

Just the middle portion has positionals. The legs don't.

There you go, honestly thought the middle piece didn't have positional either because I never get close enough to see the reticle on the ground so I assumed. Also, any time I said acc, I was talking accuracy so no comment on vit vs, str debate.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Why?
It is a common services in every MMO I have played to sell loots/contents.
Heck, back in WoW, we did the same thing to get people their legendary and making sure their guild will get the achievement to be ranked.

FF14 should be the same no?

Selling loot runs is common and done in FFXIV.

"Piloting" as you defined it is not. lol
Who in the hell cares about a website achievement. In FFXIV that isn't going to drive more traffic to your guild.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They throw out bans for parsers lol I highly doubt selling runs for real money would just be met with a temp ban.

Depends on how public facing you are. If you are constantly shouting about it and advertising it on forums, they probably need to set an example. If you are doing it through word-to-mouth you are much more likely to get a temp.

fedexpeon

Banned
Selling anything in the game for real money is grounds for permanent ban.

How can they track this though?
Everything is done with Skype and Paypal.
It is just one character being lucky and "outrolling" all 7 players.

And beside, the official announcement even says they won't permanent ban you from using real money to buy gil.
I think they states that you must be caught 3 times before a perma-ban takes place...So we can see that SE cares about retention rate than banning people who will keep generate revenue for them.

How can they track this though?
Everything is done with Skype and Paypal.
It is just one character being lucky and "outrolling" all 7 players.

And beside, the official announcement even says they won't permanent ban you from using real money to buy gil.
I think they states that you must be caught 3 times before a perma-ban takes place...So we can see that SE cares about retention rate than banning people who will keep generate revenue for them.

Are you really trying to defend selling runs for real money or even buying gil? I mean really?

"They won't do anything guys, it's perfectly fine", fuck off with this shit. That's defending all this gilseller spam we all get every single day, or even defending all the bots because they don't do anything to them either.

Top Bottom