• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Kenai

Hmm, I wonder if I should stay bard for raid now... all these groups clearing with bard... what do... /self doubt.

You should play what you like! If anything all these groups clearing with BRDs when they are supposed to be oh so bad should show that personal skill seems to be (by far) the biggest factor to success rather than any perceived class imbalances. Not that SE has a perfect track record or anything, but they don't usually leave classes so bad off that that they can't raid or be a real detriment to their group.

Ken

You should play what you like! If anything all these groups clearing with BRDs when they are supposed to be oh so bad should show that personal skill seems to be (by far) the biggest factor to success rather than any perceived class imbalances.

There was a DRK to PLD swap for A2S though.

iammeiam

...is there a secret underground movement pushing the myth that MCH DPS is vastly superior to Bard? Why are people acting like bards in clear groups is a sign that all the complaints were wrong or that the problem with bard was ever damage output?

Clearing Savage doesn't fix the fundamental clunkiness 3.x dumped on the class, any more than clearing FCoB with a PLD fixed the problem with PLD being fundamentally boring. There's no sticking it to the man here. It's not about whether or not you can clear with a bard over a machinist, it is (or should be) about which job the player will actually enjoy more.

Man, I wish I could use one of my Gearset slots just for PVP, giving it it's own unique crossbar and such. Reworking my crossbar whenever I try to PVP is actually one of the main reasons I haven't tried to do it more often.

i just enable hotbar 1 and hotbar 2 for pvp. 3 and 4 are for pve. the others stay disabled when one set is active.

Ken

I don't know where to begin with this, it's almost like they didn't learn. Nobody wants a 450 cap limit that takes month to gear toward, subsequently not everyone wants to do the hardest content available to upgrade said gear. With the fact that 190 gear JUST came out 2 weeks ago no one is even fully geared with that yet, the game is too flooded and too restricted in my eyes to be enjoyable. I don't know how anybody else feels, but to me this is a subscription breaker.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/249957-This-patch-dropped-the-ball-hard

It begins?

Ah I understand that part. I think there is a macro you can make to help since our NIN seems to be able to Goad our BRD/MCH without missing a beat and I am 99% sure he plays on pad too. I wouldn't know how to set it up though.

Hi Kenai (I'm Ren).

And yeah, I do play on pad. I don't have a macro for it though, I just use up or down on the control pad to select the person and pop it when needed. You get used to it when you do it enough, same with popping Shadewalker on tanks (which is amazing and I highly recommend using in boss fights and even some trash pulls) or Smoke Screen for people getting murderized by a stray add.

next up: switch max lvl gear on/off. everyone is happy!

someone complains blabla you don't have to play the game to.....

weird person: then don't use it!

Wilsongt

Crafter AF weapons made by other crafts?

Meh.

Looks like it's back to the crafter slums for me with all of the other shitty crafters and non-money makers.

Jayhawk

I know Pit Bull has a specific macro to Goad me. In fact, everyone should make a macro to Goad me. Here...

/micon Goad
/ac Goad "Natasha Jayhawk"

Kenai

There was a DRK to PLD swap for A2S though.

I feel like a group will be clearing it without doing that soon though (if they haven't already?)

...is there a secret underground movement pushing the myth that MCH DPS is vastly superior to Bard? Why are people acting like bards in clear groups is a sign that all the complaints were wrong or that the problem with bard was ever damage output?

Clearing Savage doesn't fix the fundamental clunkiness 3.x dumped on the class, any more than clearing FCoB with a PLD fixed the problem with PLD being fundamentally boring. There's no sticking it to the man here. It's not about whether or not you can clear with a bard over a machinist, it is (or should be) about which job the player will actually enjoy more.

Player enjoyment is a hard thing for us (not to mention the dev team) to gauge since there's no objective critera or checklist apply to the entire playerbase or even a majority of it. Not that it isn't important, but I imagine their first and most important goal is always going to be along the lines of "Is this class being brought to content? Y/N? Why/why not" and then they probably go from there. Things like how fun the class is to play come up too i am sure (no one wants to play classes that aren't fun for them), but we are never going to know how much of the playerbase cares specifically about BRD, we just assume enough ppl care when SE makes changes to the class later. What is an issue for you might not be an issue for a lot of people since people who are content tend to say nothing. We just dunno.

Meh. I definitely feel there are valid complaints with the new loot system, but "I can't get the best raid gear outside of raids /nerdrage" is not one of them.

Ferr986

Hi Kenai (I'm Ren).

And yeah, I do play on pad. I don't have a macro for it though, I just use up or down on the control pad to select the person and pop it when needed. You get used to it when you do it enough, same with popping Shadewalker on tanks (which is amazing and I highly recommend using in boss fights and even some trash pulls) or Smoke Screen for people getting murderized by a stray add.

Thanks. Yeah I'll start using it more so I get used to it.

T.O.P

Banned
So if I'm reading this right:

Weapon - 990
Chest/Legs - 825
Head/Hands/Feet - 495
Belt/Accessories - 375

14 weeks to gear out 1 class in Esoterics gear.Just in time for 3.1 to release and than we start replacing it all.....

Yeah, i guess i might take some time off the game

Had fun leveling a DRK and got ilvl 178 last night but my love for mmos fades way too quickly unfortunately :(

Hmm, I wonder if I should stay bard for raid now... all these groups clearing with bard... what do... /self doubt.

Play what you like Kags, don't let people's perception push you into a job you don't want. You're way better at this than most of those lolBRDs anyway.

scy

It's like everyone missing the point being "I wonder if there's a reason they chose BRD here instead of MCH" and not "but everyone said birdo is bad."

I feel like a group will be clearing it without doing that soon though (if they haven't already?)

I mean, for most the base mechanics we saw in A2 from Normal, PLD/WAR is fundamentally better at the generic add pick-up and resource control than DRK. If we're talking min/max progression, there's a good reason to swap there for the slight edge.

iammeiam

Player enjoyment is a hard thing for us (not to mention the dev team) to gauge since there's no objective critera or checklist apply to the entire playerbase or even a majority of it. Not that it isn't important, but I imagine their first and most important goal is always going to be along the lines of "Is this class being brought to content? Y/N? Why/why not" and then they probably go from there. Things like how fun the class is to play come up too i am sure (no one wants to play classes that aren't fun for them), but we are never going to know how much of the playerbase cares specifically about BRD, we just assume enough ppl care when SE makes changes to the class later. What is an issue for you might not be an issue for a lot of people since people who are content tend to say nothing. We just dunno.

You specifically referenced bards in clears as a sign of skill over class imbalance, in a response to somebody debating BRD vs MCH. I'm trying to figure out why people think there's any perceived class imbalance tilt in MCH's favor in terms of actual power, because I've literally never seen it. People aren't going MCH because it's more viable than Bard--that's not the reasoning I've seen anyone use, it's always been some variant of Minuet is bullshit or Barrel feels better--so responding with "no guys look bard is totally just as good!" Is... Weird. Clearing content doesn't address any of the base objections that have been gone over, at length, by a sizable chunk of the community? The people who were happy with the playstyle change never switched and have nothing to debate.

Kenai

Hi Kenai (I'm Ren).

Ah good, sounds like muscle memory then. Thx for clearing that up.

We'll never know cause Lucrezia runs PLD/WAR and no one cares who else clears.

:( lol this is true isn't it. CL cleared A1 10 min later and no one cared even a little bit.

Oh well i will take my scrub AST A1 clears later this week once work dies down. I hear Faust is pretty dumb and he's only a midboss so that already sounds fun. If I make it to A4 anytime soon I am sure that will blow my mind.

scy

I'm trying to figure out why people think there's any perceived class imbalance tilt in MCH's favor in terms of actual power, because I've literally never seen it.

birdo is like ... a whole extra percent higher for Foe's buff vs 2x Melee Rook Hypercharge!

I think most of it's a wash for these two classes outside of enjoyment. The side angle of "but now this class is better because it was in a clear!" is kind of weird. At best there's some "I wonder if there was a min/max choice here" but nothing else, really.

:( lol this is true isn't it. CL cleared A1 10 min later and no one cared even a little bit.

They did DRK/WAR for A1S (for a reason) and switched to PLD/WAR (also for a reason).

Meh. I definitely feel there are valid complaints with the new loot system, but "I can't get the best raid gear outside of raids /nerdrage" is not one of them.

yeah thats true. however you gotta admit though that for a game that actively encourages you to level alternate classes they do a piss poor job and a lot of hand wringing when it comes to gearing them. I'm actively debating whether or not I sure gear DRK or DRG first in esoterics and then gear the other in alex normal stuff. i guess i can foroget about NIN and WAR for a long while yet :/

Ken

yeah thats true. however you gotta admit though that for a game that actively encourages you to level alternate classes they do a piss poor job and a lot of hand wringing when it comes to gearing them. I'm actively debating whether or not I sure gear DRK or DRG first in esoterics and then gear the other in alex normal stuff. i guess i can foroget about NIN and WAR for a long while yet :/

After awhile you'll have more Esoterics than you know what to do with.

Kenai

Hi Kenai (I'm Ren).

Ah good, sounds like muscle memory then. Thx for clearing that up.

We'll never know cause Lucrezia runs PLD/WAR and no one cares who else clears.

Oh well i will take my scrub AST A1 clears later this week once work dies down. I hear Faust is pretty dumb and he's only a midboss so that already sounds fun. If I make it to A4 anytime soon I am sure that will blow my mind.

It's like everyone missing the point being "I wonder if there's a reason they chose BRD here instead of MCH" and not "but everyone said birdo is bad."

I mean, for most the base mechanics we saw in A2 from Normal, PLD/WAR is fundamentally better at the generic add pick-up and resource control than DRK. If we're talking min/max progression, there's a good reason to swap there for the slight edge.

How slight is a slight edge? I know next to nothing about tanking, (and I thought DRK was super good at holding hate on multiple mobs?) but even assuming that PLD/WAR is better than whatever/DRk is at A2, is that going to hold up for all 4 floors? And are so many people (strangers especially) going to be willing to shuffle people around for this slight edge that may be completely overshadowed by something like player skill?

The problem with trying to mimic worldfirst clear groups is all of the nuancies that go into making a worldfirst clear that people won't, aren't or can't do 9like feeding a specific player gear, or even a particular player being better at a job yet be willing to learn a new one from scratch + be good at it). I did some of that stuff back in the day in WoW and I just...I dunno.

In some ways yes. Tbh my biggest grip with the game now isn't the clearing but the lack of space for all those non shared sets. Being able to level everything doesn't preclude having specializations in certain situations like this for progress. Some people may dislike it but for me who loves certain jobs far more than others I kinda like someone who wants to max out everything having to make a bit of a choice right now. They'll get it in time anyway.

I'll reply more to you and Angary later, but gotta go to work :( I love talking about this stuff.

Jayhawk

With double caster the benefit of having Foes might be better. Maybe.

Considering you don't play DRG, your DRG dps will be like sub-500. So yes, whatever increase foes will give to Makoto and Rin will be better than the negative DPS of your switch to DRG.

scy

How slight is a slight edge? I know next to nothing about tanking, (and I thought DRK was super good at holding hate on multiple mobs?)...

Their resource generation is a bigger constraint than the others. You can offload most of the snap pick-up to WAR but PLD/WAR will do a better job at most of it over a period of time. I think there's another major reason they swapped but I'm not sure yet.

...is that going to hold up for all 4 floors? And are so many people (strangers especially) going to be willing to shuffle people around for this slight edge that may be completely overshadowed by something like player skill?

There's really no player shuffle this early, it's just about initial choice for playing. And, again, A1 -> A2 was DRK/WAR to PLD/WAR for world second A1 / world first A2. Realistically, for our group these slight edges won't matter since we're not running until tonight anyway so the only dog we have in the race is "I wonder if there's an overall reason for the choice."

The problem with trying to mimic worldfirst clear groups is all of the nuancies that go into making a worldfirst clear that people won't, aren't or can't do 9like feeding a specific player gear, or even a particular player being better at a job yet be willing to learn a new one from scratch + be good at it). I did some of that stuff back in the day in WoW and I just...I dunno.

I mean, I guess you're just stuck on this idea that this is all "if we want to clear, we should do what they did." It's not. It's more there were choices made for the clear, I wonder why and debating how big of a deal those things are. I'm curious to see how DRK add pick-up works over an X minute fight with the potential of "make sure some adds are stunned" has on Blood Price refills. It seems to mostly be a case of an easier time to learn the fight at this gear level with PLD/WAR and not like some impossible wall.

I've done world first progression raiding for a lot of MMOs so I know it's really not just a case of "if we have the right pieces, it'll work itself out" but it doesn't somehow invalidate, "oh, their strat was this I wonder if that was the best or what they thought was the best." We're doing the latter but I think most of this discussion is assuming the former?

With double caster the benefit of having Foes might be better. Maybe.

Mathematically speaking, it's like ~.7% vs ~2% for total raid DPS increase or something like that. If we want to split hairs like that, we'd see a bigger gain if I just switched to a melee in the first place or if we had SCH/AST or WHM/SCH and so-on and so-forth.

Play whichever you prefer, the min/max angle of it is pretty minor? Honestly, we'd probably have a bigger gain overall just picking up more Alex Normal drops than a class swap would yield.
The irony is not lost on me that I leveled DRG specifically in case the switch was a thing

Leunam

Rogue/Ninja look like so much fun but Mudras look confusing and scare a person with a healer mindset like me who never has to think about rotations and such.

The actual ninjutsu is really easy to learn, you get introduced to each of the three mudras slowly enough that you have time to play with one or two at a time before you get the last one.

Armaros

Rogue/Ninja look like so much fun but Mudras look confusing and scare a person with a healer mindset like me who never has to think about rotations and such.

It's mostly muscle memory once you do it enough. Generally you don't move you hotlkeys or skill positions for important abilities.

Like how Invoker from Dota becomes muscle memory.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Considering you don't play DRG, your DRG dps will be like sub-500. So yes, whatever increase foes will give to Makoto and Rin will be better than the negative DPS of your switch to DRG.

Why would I switch to DRG when two people in my group already have it at 60?

MogCakes

thanks. yes, hotbar 3 is on L2+R2. but hotbar 3 also shows up when i cycle through it with R1. that's the problem. when i put skills in, it forces me to cycle through it.

There's an option to limit which hotbars you want to cycle through if you're switching hotbars that way. You just can't disable hotbars with the L1 + facebutton way of switching. It should be in the hotbars section with all the hotbars listed with checkboxes.

Silvawuff

Is the gilseller spam still out of control? e.g. log in and immediately get five bot tells? That's one of my main sticking points for not picking this up right away.

Also looking at the heavy raid focus: I think this game would really benefit from other endgame things to do. I know this game is not FFXI, but think how cool it would be if it could execute something like sky/sea/limbus/salvage/dynamis etc etc etc. Also NMs. Not hunts, NMs.

Sorian

Banned
Is the gilseller spam still out of control? e.g. log in and immediately get five bot tells? That's one of my main sticking points for not picking this up right away.

Also looking at the heavy raid focus: I think this game would really benefit from other endgame things to do. I know this game is not FFXI, but think how cool it would be if it could execute something like sky/sea/limbus/salvage/dynamis etc etc etc. Also NMs. Not hunts, NMs.

I wouldn't find the bolded cool, I would find it irritating.

So been watching stream of A1 Savage for awhile, and I have one question:

Do both oppressors have to die at the same time realistically a-la T1 Caduceus during Binding Coil progress? Reason I ask is I see most groups using caster LB3 to hit both and saving LB1 for melee, and was wondering if you could melee Lb3 one of the opporessors to kill it faster and switch over to the other.

Also, the stay in middle and run to safe spot while dropping resins is no bueno, I like the method of running to the marked circle spots and then moving to safe spot along an edge method.

Sorian

Banned
So been watching stream of A1 Savage for awhile, and I have one question:

Do both oppressors have to die at the same time realistically a-la T1 Caduceus during Binding Coil progress? Reason I ask is I see most groups using caster LB3 to hit both and saving LB1 for melee, and was wondering if you could melee Lb3 one of the opporessors to kill it faster and switch over to the other.

Also, the stay in middle and run to safe spot while dropping resins is no bueno, I like the method of running to the marked circle spots and then moving to safe spot along an edge method.

Caster lb3 on two targets is more total damage than melee lb3 on one target. I believe that's why they are doing that.

Both oppressors have to die within 15 seconds of each other in Normal mode as well.

He's asking if the duration is less than 15 seconds on savage. 15 seconds is like an eternity so its always been a non-issue.

dramatis

Also looking at the heavy raid focus: I think this game would really benefit on other endgame things to do. I know this game is not FFXI, but think how cool it would be if it could execute something like sky/sea/limbus/salvage/dynamis etc etc etc. Also NMs. Not hunts, NMs.
Crafting, fishing, gathering, sightseeing, triple triad, chocobo racing, gardening, airships...?

Combat-related endgame activities: pvp, beast tribes, hunts, dungeons, primals, Alexander, weird special fates, leveling alternate classes, etc...?

Perhaps none of those are specifically the kind of activity you're looking for, but 14 doesn't really have a shortage of endgame things to do.

Both oppressors have to die within 15 seconds of each other in Normal mode as well.

I guess this stream group must have hit enrage just after they killed one then. It was a Japanese stream so I couldn't read anything so I didn't know if it was some penalty (this big aoe that went off) for not killing both at the same time (savage only mechanic possibly) or the enrage. They just cleared though, double melee drops.

Asami...
There are three gobwalkers in A2 Savage. Get rekt.

Top Bottom