• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
I guess this stream group must have hit enrage just after they killed one then. It was a Japanese stream so I couldn't read anything so I didn't know if it was some penalty (this big aoe that went off) for not killing both at the same time (savage only mechanic possibly) or the enrage. They just cleared though, double melee drops.

Even if you could read Japanese, it wouldn't matter. The move is called self-destruct regardless of whether it starts by enrage or by one of the mobs dying. That big aoe was self-destruct happening, must be nice that you've never seen it. You should DF A1 more so you can see all these fights to completion :p

Asami...
There are three gobwalkers in A2 Savage. Get rekt.

That......is not what I was expecting.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Their resource generation is a bigger constraint than the others. You can offload most of the snap pick-up to WAR but PLD/WAR will do a better job at most of it over a period of time. I think there's another major reason they swapped but I'm not sure yet.

There's really no player shuffle this early, it's just about initial choice for playing. And, again, A1 -> A2 was DRK/WAR to PLD/WAR for world second A1 / world first A2. Realistically, for our group these slight edges won't matter since we're not running until tonight anyway so the only dog we have in the race is "I wonder if there's an overall reason for the choice."

I mean, I guess you're just stuck on this idea that this is all "if we want to clear, we should do what they did." It's not. It's more there were choices made for the clear, I wonder why and debating how big of a deal those things are. I'm curious to see how DRK add pick-up works over an X minute fight with the potential of "make sure some adds are stunned" has on Blood Price refills. It seems to mostly be a case of an easier time to learn the fight at this gear level with PLD/WAR and not like some impossible wall.

I've done world first progression raiding for a lot of MMOs so I know it's really not just a case of "if we have the right pieces, it'll work itself out" but it doesn't somehow invalidate, "oh, their strat was this I wonder if that was the best or what they thought was the best." We're doing the latter but I think most of this discussion is assuming the former?

Mathematically speaking, it's like ~.7% vs ~2% for total raid DPS increase or something like that. If we want to split hairs like that, we'd see a bigger gain if I just switched to a melee in the first place or if we had SCH/AST or WHM/SCH and so-on and so-forth.

Play whichever you prefer, the min/max angle of it is pretty minor? Honestly, we'd probably have a bigger gain overall just picking up more Alex Normal drops than a class swap would yield.
The irony is not lost on me that I leveled DRG specifically in case the switch was a thing

I'll mess around and see what works given the mechanics/downtime and whatnot.

WolvenOne

Even if you could read Japanese, it wouldn't matter. The move is called self-destruct regardless of whether it starts by enrage or by one of the mobs dying. That big aoe was self-destruct happening, must be nice that you've never seen it. You should DF A1 more so you can see all these fights to completion :p

That......is not what I was expecting.

This honestly doesn't surprise me. I suspected that the various debuffs the adds put out would be far more serious in savage, and may actually require the DPS to occasionally split adds to keep the debuffs from stacking. A third walker would seem to indicate that, and possibly more bombs. (That, or walkers can get destroyed more easily, or something.)

I suppose it always makes the DPS check more serious, without necessarily increasing the HP of the mobs, hmm. Well either way I'm curious to see the specifics.

Sorian

Banned
This honestly doesn't surprise me. I suspected that the various debuffs the adds put out would be far more serious in savage, and may actually require the DPS to occasionally split adds to keep the debuffs from stacking. A third walker would seem to indicate that, and possibly more bombs. (That, or walkers can get destroyed more easily, or something.)

I suppose it always makes the DPS check more serious, without necessarily increasing the HP of the mobs, hmm. Well either way I'm curious to see the specifics.

.....to keep what debuffs from stacking?

Sorian

Banned
One interesting thing the Lucrecia group did before they stopped, was they had the gob walker person pull (using the same ability they have for bombs) some of the mobs to the group.

That's not interesting, people have been saying that's a good way to get the snipers into position since normal dropped. I just like making tanks work, you should know that from my aversion to quelling.

Jayhawk

Hmm...

Using Dervy's preliminary stat weights from earlier this month for DRG (which shouldn't be too different from MNK), crafted MNK boots is better than non-upgraded Esoterics boots and normal Alexander boots. Probably a similar situation for MNK gloves and other pieces of crafted gear without Accuracy already on it versus higher ilevel gear with accuracy, assuming you don't need that accuracy.

Tabris

That's not interesting, people have been saying that's a good way to get the snipers into position since normal dropped. I just like making tanks work, you should know that from my aversion to quelling.

Haha, now that I think about it, there's a decent amount of strats and mechanics we haven't seen due to either being lazy or over-DPSing the content as a group.

WolvenOne

.....to keep what debuffs from stacking?

Healing potency debuff, for example. I think there's one other status effects as well, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. They aren't too bad in regular mode though, so a lot of players probably never notice them.

11722072_10153074819501297_6404200242572944504_o.jpg

Definitely still favorite place to fly around. So serene, so beautiful. T_T

Sorian

Banned
Healing potency debuff, for example. I think there's one other status effects as well, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. They aren't too bad in regular mode though, so a lot of players probably never notice them.

The electricity attack from the walker stops the adds from putting those debuffs out. You would want all the hardhelms and whatever helms together so that they can be paralyzed and stop doing that.

Edit: Sorry, I only asked because I thought you were talking about something that went out to the walker person.

I was just grabbing a snack in our cafeteria here at work and I hear a bit of a convo when somebody says, "where's stinging sophie".

Oh shit son...

Tabris

Nah, you have 1 tank that takes all 3 gob walkers and the other tank takes the rest of the mobs. Gob walkers hit for shit damage, they just apply the debuff on you and it's the other gobs that hit hard with it on.

Assuming the stacks wear by next phase / have the same counter as the normal mode.

WolvenOne

The electricity attack from the walker stops the adds from putting those debuffs out. You would want all the hardhelms and whatever helms together so that they can be paralyzed and stop doing that.

Edit: Sorry, I only asked because I thought you were talking about something that went out to the walker person.

Am I misremembering, or can't people in the Gobwalkers drag adds around for a bit? Might be misremembering, it's been a long week.

Tabris

I was just grabbing a snack in our cafeteria here at work and I hear a bit of a convo when somebody says, "where's stinging sophie".

Oh shit son...

Could be FF11 players as Stinging Sophie was a notorious monster in one of the first zones you played and a mob in something called Nyzul Isle much later on.

Could be FF11 players as Stinging Sophie was a notorious monster in one of the first zones you played and a mob in something called Nyzul Isle much later on.

I should have also added before I heard that, they caught my ear because I heard "shout where is it" and "it's a B rank" and "I was mining and I turn around and the hunt was right there".

Sorian

Banned
Lol, you're all so adorable thinking people still give a shit about FFXI.

Am I misremembering, or can't people in the Gobwalkers drag adds around for a bit? Might be misremembering, it's been a long week.

Sure, walker can pull any mob smaller than themselves.

Jayhawk

The crafted NIN headpiece and the crafted BRD/MCH gloves also seem to be better than non-upgrade esoterics and Alexander normal gear. Depending on current weight of spell speed for Summoner, the crafted belt might be the best thing until Savage Alex belt.

aceface

...is there a secret underground movement pushing the myth that MCH DPS is vastly superior to Bard? Why are people acting like bards in clear groups is a sign that all the complaints were wrong or that the problem with bard was ever damage output?

Clearing Savage doesn't fix the fundamental clunkiness 3.x dumped on the class, any more than clearing FCoB with a PLD fixed the problem with PLD being fundamentally boring. There's no sticking it to the man here. It's not about whether or not you can clear with a bard over a machinist, it is (or should be) about which job the player will actually enjoy more.

It's not that. People were worried that BRD and MCH might not be viable/desirable for endgame content because of their lower damage output. People were thinking that their MP/TP battery skills might not be needed as much so why not bring a class that does more dps. Didn't you make a post along these lines not long ago? Or am I misremembering. Anyways, the presence of Bards in world first groups seems to point to the fact that yes, they are still necessary/desirable even with lower damage output.

WolvenOne

Lol, you're all so adorable thinking people still give a shit about FFXI.

Sure, walker can pull any mob smaller than themselves.

Well, was mainly just theorizing that one of the Gobwalkers may need to function as a third tank for certain add-phases. It's also possible that the DPS check might require one guy to get into the walker for some phases, jump out and help DPS in others, only to once again jump back into one of the two remaining walkers.

Dunno, lots of things they could potentially do with that. Guess I'll see either when I go in, or somebody puts out a video.

Omni

Just got my first character to level 50. Still need to finish the rest of the base game but I'm happy. So much to do

the new pvp mode is a lot of fun. its like a way more dynamic secure. the only problem right now is the amount of slaughter scrubs playing team death match and just feeding points to the opposite squad. no you are not going to kill anyone rushing in by yourself against 6-7+ people

iammeiam

It's not that. People were worried that BRD and MCH might not be viable/desirable for endgame content because of their lower damage output. People were thinking that their MP/TP battery skills might not be needed as much so why not bring a class that does more dps. Didn't you make a post along these lines not long ago? Or am I misremembering. Anyways, the presence of Bards in world first groups seems to point to the fact that yes, they are still necessary/desirable even with lower damage output.

Except that everyone in this instance was responding to somebody debating BRD vs MCH, not BRD vs straight DPS, so none of that was relevant. The discussion was between support classes, not support and non-support, so the DPS ceiling concern had nothing to do with it.

WolvenOne

the new pvp mode is a lot of fun. its like a way more dynamic secure. the only problem right now is the amount of slaughter scrubs playing team death match and just feeding points to the opposite squad. no you are not going to kill anyone rushing in by yourself against 6-7+ people

Really want to give it a try when I get home, though I probably won't rework my crossbar set-up for the first few rounds. Need to decide it's worth doing repeatedly first. XD

Tabris

Fraud alert! There was no mining in North Gustaberg (present) and Nyzul Isle, so no you could not mine near Stinging Sophie.

Ah, you're right. I googled north gustaberg as I didn't remember and saw it, but then just noticed the (S) beside it. I forgot about the past zones in Wings.

It's been a long time ;)

MogCakes

The whole concept of watching someone play a videogame as entertainment you're willing to pay for is mindboggling to me. I guess you could rationalize it by saying it's like HBO but live and at lower quality. In either case I'd rather pay the sub to play the game instead of blowing 1k to watch someone play it.

Sorian

Banned
The whole concept of watching someone play a videogame as entertainment you're willing to pay for is mindboggling to me. I guess you could rationalize it by saying it's like HBO but live and at lower quality. In either case I'd rather pay the sub to play the game instead of blowing 1k to watch someone play it.

That guy didn't blow 1k to watch someone play a game. He blew 1k on a dream that he would impress her so much that it would somehow, someway, lead somewhere.

Jayhawk

Ah, you're right. I googled north gustaberg as I didn't remember and saw it, but then just noticed the (S) beside it. I forgot about the past zones in Wings.

It's been a long time ;)

Wait for version 5.0 of this game where it's all the same zones, except how they were in the fifth umbral era or some other random time frame.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So, there's NO craftable jewelry over 180.

I wonder what the hell did i main GSM for.

Crafting gear maxing out at 180 is already ridicolous, but no jewelry at all.. sigh. Why did they completely ruin my game.

Jayhawk

So, there's NO craftable jewelry over 180.

I wonder what the hell did i main GSM for.

Crafting gear maxing out at 180 is already ridicolous, but no jewelry at all.. sigh. Why did they completely ruin my game.

Crafted battle jewelry was never released at the same time as crafted left-side gear. You have to wait a month or two.

I still don't get gear crafting in this game. Absolutely nothing is wearable high level except a few random accessories that need insane rng melds to min-max. Why can't there simply be side-upgrade craftables as an alternative to pve?

Top Bottom