• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

OK, that sounds good. The first time I ran through I didn't say anything and the second run and immediately blurted out that I had never done this dungeon before.

It was weird, the first run, the healer kept running ahead and pulling everything, so I figured he wanted to do the pulling. Then suddenly, he stopped midway through the dungeon and said 'wtf are you waiting for? pull'. I was just so confused that run.

I'll be sure to say I'm new on dungeon runs from now on.

^ What these guys said - say you're new and people will be friendlier.

Also, join GAF Free Company and let us know in the chat when you wanna run a dungeon and I'm sure you'll get some nice people that can join you and give you pointers if you'd want it.

Awesome. Yeah, I notice everyone with GAF over their heads.

I generally haven't liked joining groups since I'm still fiddling with the controls after having taken over a year off (and never really learning them well to begin with) and generally being inexperienced in MMOs

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So I just started playing this game again after playing for a week or so when it first released on the PS4 (was only level 20 or so when I stopped) but have started up again. I just recently fought Grafflas but that dungeon was rough for me, in that I'm not sure what people want me to do as a tank (Gladiator) besides pull stuff and try to hold aggro. I think I got kicked out of one group and had to join another to finally finish. Everyone seems like they're going through this game for like a 5th time on a separate character and I have no idea what I'm doing. I just didn't find the people I played with very friendly.

Is Ultros sort of like an expert server? Should I be moving my character over to another with less experienced people?
Duty Finder grabs players from different servers that are running on the same Data Center as you are so no you are not playing with "Experts" from the Ultros Server.

Without playing with you (and therefore make a judgment of weather you really are a bad Tank or not) the only thing I can tell you is to specifically specify when your new running a dungeon.

Bonus** And as a Tanking tip I can tell you that you can easily switch targets your aiming at by holding the L1 Button and pressing up or down on the D Pad

dcye

I am not talking about the ilevel. I am talking about the fact that full eso gear will help with those new fights but people can't wait with properly gearing up to get those world first (which they normally do and until now it worked).

Not to mention, we had the same discussion with Twisters (granted they were bugged at the start) but I am pretty sure there are mechanics they don't understand at the moment (and again, if they need the SCH to dps for those encounters then they are obviously not reaching the dps checks with the actual dps..) - oh wait, maybe because they need the actual accuracy they can't hit right now?

Pretty obvious that the Lucrezia SCH used melded with acc and vit to help with those dps checks..while in turn losing out on actual - healing power..

Such a condescending post. Awful.

Also displays a complete misunderstanding of what world first is all about and why people do it.

plake

OK, that sounds good. The first time I ran through I didn't say anything and the second run and immediately blurted out that I had never done this dungeon before.

It was weird, the first run, the healer kept running ahead and pulling everything, so I figured he wanted to do the pulling. Then suddenly, he stopped midway through the dungeon and said 'wtf are you waiting for? pull'. I was just so confused that run.

I'll be sure to say I'm new on dungeon runs from now on.

Awesome. Yeah, I notice everyone with GAF over their heads.

I generally haven't liked joining groups since I'm still fiddling with the controls after having taken over a year off (and never really learning them well to begin with) and generally being inexperienced in MMOs

Anyone but the tank should in general never pull - if they do it's their bad. I assume they thought you might have been too slow at pulling. At low level it doesn't matter who's "tanking" really, so don't panic if the enemy is beating up another DPS or the healer - but try to get it of them for good showmanship lol. When you get to a higher level and more comfortable with the controls you'll have it much easier. Just mention you're new, and if they don't adjust accordingly, it's their loss. Don't fret it, you'll get it with more practise.

MogCakes

You don't get ahead by screwing around.
Raiding FCs don't have to be serious all the time to be top-level raiders though. The whole we-are-amazing-and-you'll-never-see-our-mistakes-because-we-want-to-appear-infallible schtick is silly.

Also displays a complete misunderstanding of what world first is all about and why people do it.
Maybe it'd be prudent to expand on this some more since most of XIV's player base is casual and doesn't understand. World First groups exist for the same reason MLG has become a thing and LoL is popular, and why terms like 1CC and speed runs exist. It's all about overcoming challenge and beating your competitors. It's a game unto itself and the prize is being number 1 to the finish line. It has its own community and it feels great to accomplish something measurably difficult with others working together. And the scope of this metagame encompasses the whole world userbase of XIV. It's the most exciting PVP of XIV, the stakes are real and the effort people put into it is immense. Watching their attempts via stream is a lot like watching a sports team.

This is GAF so maybe I'm just preaching to the choir.

Tash

Such a condescending post. Awful.

How am I condescending? Because I dare to say that they might not understand the whole fight yet? Maybe I am wrong but there is still a chance, no?

Also World firsts are about bragging rights and competition. Showing you have better skills and teamwork than others. People getting pissed at a fight while it's pretty obvious that they hard designed gear checks on top of mechanics to gate clearing the content too fast is kinda of funny to me. All the top guilds are clearly min/maxing whatever gear they can but at this point it's not possible because they can't catch up to the stats needed.

So how am I completely misunderstanding why people do world firsts and also what does that have to do with me simply stating that the ones trying right now, no matter their skills, might not have the paperdoll stats to do it?

Unless I am totally misunderstanding something so please explain. Always open for discussion :)

edit: Ok, I see how the "can't wait" might have come over as misunderstanding but I used that term to stress the whole "need to gear up more before attempting A3 and not to stress the relevance of why people compete on World Firsts. I've been gaming long enough to know about competitive e-sports in any kind of game genre.

creid

And for gathering
Chysahl Greens (8-9 scrips) and Vanilla Beans (on bonus, 9-10 scrips)
Both are folklore and both require 470 and 530 collectability for respective rewards.
Chysahl Greens do not require folklore, it's just a level 60 gatherable. Very very very glad I have MIN and BTN at 60 now, though it's still going to take forever to outfit just one of them in red scrip gear.

ThinFinn

So I've noticed that bards are able to achieve 1.2-1.3k dps on certain parses for Faust.

Any bard senpai willing to share some tips on how to reach these numbers?

I'm currently sitting at 1.1k with a dragoon in the party, and yes, with food and pot.

Sorian

Banned
Man, why do I always miss all the fun stuff? Also, I think it's funny seeing someone complain about healers dpsing when we are talking about world first progression. This is a completely different beast than the little conversations about healers dpsing when they are doing nothing anyway in dungeons.

Valor

So I've noticed that bards are able to achieve 1.2-1.3k dps on certain parses for Faust.

I'm currently sitting at 1.1k with a dragoon in the party, and yes, with food and pot.
Have a Ninja and a Machinist. Drop AoE on the adds.

Bonus** And as a Tanking tip I can tell you that you can easily switch targets your aiming at by holding the L1 Button and pressing up or down on the D Pad

Ahh, I'll try that out the next time I log on. I've been just trying to click left or right on the D-pad and I often get random targets.

Anyone but the tank should in general never pull - if they do it's their bad. I assume they thought you might have been too slow at pulling. At low level it doesn't matter who's "tanking" really, so don't panic if the enemy is beating up another DPS or the healer - but try to get it of them for good showmanship lol. When you get to a higher level and more comfortable with the controls you'll have it much easier. Just mention you're new, and if they don't adjust accordingly, it's their loss. Don't fret it, you'll get it with more practise.

Good to know, I generally try to use my provoke + rage of halone to keep aggro on me, but sometimes at the rate at which we jump from enemy to enemy, I have a hard time keeping all of them on me. I'll usually try to spam a blind if I notice too many enemies attacking teammates and my provoke hasn't recharged yet, but I'm still waiting for the game to slow down enough for me that I don't panic when a bunch of crap is happening on the screen.

Don't you know we are pro?

You aren't?!?!? Pssh, why am I asking for advice here then? :)

Also, are DF groups generally laggy? My first run of Grafflas was super laggy and my second run was better but still had plenty of moments where things just kinda stopped and then did a warp ahead.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

You can pad it with AOE on the adds.

iammeiam

The only Faust parse that counts is incoming damage on Faust. Full battle parses are padded for a lot of classes because it includes a bunch of damage on things you're not actually trying to kill. If your OT is tanking the adds on Faust (and he should be so he can punch Faust too), then any class whose normal rotation includes an AOE move (Elixir Drive, Flaming Arrow, Deathflare, whatever) is going to post numbers higher than their actual in-fight usefulness.

This is also why you can see a group with higher raid DPS wiping to enrage while one with lower raid DPS clears--'wasted' DPS doesn't actually help and you shouldn't be chasing those numbers.

Sorian

Banned
The only Faust parse that counts is incoming damage on Faust. Full battle parses are padded for a lot of classes because it includes a bunch of damage on things you're not actually trying to kill. If your OT is tanking the adds on Faust (and he should be so he can punch Faust too), then any class whose normal rotation includes an AOE move (Elixir Drive, Flaming Arrow, Deathflare, whatever) is going to post numbers higher than their actual in-fight usefulness.

This is also why you can see a group with higher raid DPS wiping to enrage while one with lower raid DPS clears--'wasted' DPS doesn't actually help and you shouldn't be chasing those numbers.

What you're saying is I should only cast fire II and flare during faust. Got it.

Kenai

Ahh, I'll try that out the next time I log on. I've been just trying to click left or right on the D-pad and I often get random targets.

Good to know, I generally try to use my provoke + rage of halone to keep aggro on me, but sometimes at the rate at which we jump from enemy to enemy, I have a hard time keeping all of them on me. I'll usually try to spam a blind if I notice too many enemies attacking teammates and my provoke hasn't recharged yet, but I'm still waiting for the game to slow down enough for me that I don't panic when a bunch of crap is happening on the screen.

You aren't?!?!? Pssh, why am I asking for advice here then? :)

Also, are DF groups generally laggy? My first run of Grafflas was super laggy and my second run was better but still had plenty of moments where things just kinda stopped and then did a warp ahead.

GLD/PLD doesn't have quite as spammable an AoE as MRD/WAR or DK. It's also very common for DPS to attack something the tank is not focuing on and draw aggro. They might even draw aggro super easy during a switch if their gear difference vs yours is significant.

Something that usually does help is marking your target, either right before you pull them + after it dies and you move on to the next or right after you flash. If the DPS ignore that mark and keep attacking separate targets, let them tank.

There are higher level tanking nuances I am unfamiliar with as you level up, change to your Job and get new stuff, but those are the basics.

iammeiam

I may or may not be planning to petition to be allowed to bring Autoturret Bishop the week everyone gets their eso weapons so I can look like I learned how to play. I also may be planning to petition to be allowed to eventually pilot the gobwalker in stupid costumes. Doingraidwrong.

(Fun fact: MCH has an AOE move in their normal rotation in Ricochet, but it doesn't pad DPS because the potency is the same regardless of how many targets it hits. 100 on primary + 200 split up over everything in range, so not only do we not get more potency the adds result in us doing less damage to Faust than we would have without them in range. EVEN WHEN IT COMES TO BS NUMBERS PADDING, we are screwed.)

Sorian

Banned
Time to change my opener to Perfect Balance -> Rockbreaker x5

My man.

I hear you can only beat faust with 15k total dps among all members. This is the only way to win.

I may or may not be planning to petition to be allowed to bring Autoturret Bishop the week everyone gets their eso weapons so I can look like I learned how to play. I also may be planning to petition to be allowed to eventually pilot the gobwalker in stupid costumes. Doingraidwrong.

(Fun fact: MCH has an AOE move in their normal rotation in Ricochet, but it doesn't pad DPS because the potency is the same regardless of how many targets it hits. 100 on primary + 200 split up over everything in range, so not only do we not get more potency the adds result in us doing less damage to Faust than we would have without them in range. EVEN WHEN IT COMES TO BS NUMBERS PADDING, we are screwed.)

More reason to say MCH sucks and not let them come to my AOE party.

iammeiam

More reason to say MCH sucks and not let them come to my AOE party.

You're being awfully short-sighted here; sure, bringing a non-MCH might pad overall raid AOE damage a little more, but you'd lose out on getting AOE turret hypercharge to stack with BV Foe's and further boost your personal numbers.

Jayhawk

You're being awfully short-sighted here; sure, bringing a non-MCH might pad overall raid AOE damage a little more, but you'd lose out on getting AOE turret hypercharge to stack with BV Foe's and further boost your personal numbers.

Elixir Field does so much number padding on Faust. Please boost my padded numbers even further.

Sorian

Banned

I hope you realize that whenever I talk, I know absolutely zero about MCH. The extent of my knowledge is they have that annoying debuff that explodes on me after a short period of time.

scy

Man, why do I always miss all the fun stuff? Also, I think it's funny seeing someone complain about healers dpsing when we are talking about world first progression. This is a completely different beast than the little conversations about healers dpsing when they are doing nothing anyway in dungeons.

Right? Man, missing all the fun conversations.

Next it'll be explaining the value of STR/VIT melds for tanks and why the DPS have VIT melds.

Sorian

Banned
OH MAN

I have news for you!

One of the tanks in my group tried to PPP Faust while subbing for someone else last night.

It failed.

He probably used an HQ one like a scrub too. Such a waste on such a short fight.

Edit: Oh they straight up miss or something? lol This game is the best.

iammeiam

He probably used an HQ one like a scrub too. Such a waste on such a short fight.

Edit: Oh they straight up miss or something? lol This game is the best.

Yeah I think he just did it as a ForScience thing to see if it was even worth bringing them to main raid, and he said the application just straight up failed. Which I guess makes sense since I think the tooltip specifies something about level 50?

Gotta find something new to argue about.

Sorian

Banned
I will be utterly disappointed when A4 ends up being the Manipulator again and not Faust Prime.

Faust will be the final boss of all of alexander. He's going to walk in and shoot that other head goblin in the head.

"It was I, Faust, the entire time!"

iammeiam

Faust will be the final boss of all of alexander. He's going to walk in and shoot that other head goblin in the head.

"It was I, Faust, the entire time!"

He'll just show up at random points in the rest of Alex to keep him current in our minds, though. I assume the 2:44 wall in A3S is Faust just divebombing the party.

ThinFinn

Have a Ninja and a Machinist. Drop AoE on the adds.

We run Bard, Dragoon, Blm and Smn.

You can pad it with AOE on the adds.

Wait...

Right. We actually reached 3% and I was hoping that the additional 100-200 dps from myself would help close the gap.

Valor

Right. We actually reached 3% and I was hoping that the additional 100-200 dps from myself would help close the gap.
Snarky replies notwithstanding, you aren't going to get 1200+ dps on Faust as a Bard. 99% of my damage I was doing last night was single target and I was hitting a bit over 1000 on a good run where I hit my rotation well + HQ Draco Pot + Food. Hitting 1200-1300 is not going to happen at i184 from a Bard, I don't think. I mean, not saying I'm top tier bard or anything, but I can't see people parsing 200+ over what I was doing at the same gear level. On our Faust kill I think I was at 987 on the final parse. I'm assuming it was because 1. I am bad and 2. I played Foe Requiem a second time near the end of the fight. Same DPS set up as your crew.

Edit:

As a reminder you need a raid dps of 6050 to kill Faust in 2:40

Sorian

Banned
He'll just show up at random points in the rest of Alex to keep him current in our minds, though. I assume the 2:44 wall in A3S is Faust just divebombing the party.

I would fight a Faust with angel wings that added in terrifying divebomb mechanics. Activate the wonder twins and give the wings to faust this time instead of the warrior of light.

The tone on reddit/other forums is great now.

2 weeks ago: ugh savage so ez
Now: ugh can't beat trash mob

This is such an interesting raid scene compared to other games. Did Yoshida really gate A3/4 behind gear 2-3 weeks away?

Sorian

Banned
The tone on reddit/other forums is great now.

2 weeks ago: ugh savage so ez
Now: ugh can't beat trash mob

This is such an interesting raid scene compared to other games. Did Yoshida really gate A3/4 behind gear 2-3 weeks away?

Maybe the groups need to get good and not whine about the damage going out. Do better, none of them probably know how to play their jobs right.

Top Bottom