• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The tone on reddit/other forums is great now.

2 weeks ago: ugh savage so ez
Now: ugh can't beat trash mob

This is such an interesting raid scene compared to other games. Did Yoshida really gate A3/4 behind gear 2-3 weeks away?

You know both Turn 5 and Turn 9 were pretty big walls too. This isn't unusual.

You know both Turn 5 and Turn 9 were pretty big walls too. This isn't unusual.

Not unusual for this game, but other mmos usually don't release all of the raid content and then gate it to gear. They might do a staggered release, like A1 one week, A2 next, etc so that the gear up feels more natural (sort of), but in this game they just throw out everything without any hint (due to ptr) of the requirements. So these guilds throw themselves against a wall they actually can't climb. Just not used to that style.

Maybe the groups need to get good and not whine about the damage going out. Do better, none of them probably know how to play their jobs right.

I agree this is most likely the reason why.

I'm having a blast with this game in the GAF-guild. No problems finding people to run low level story dungeons with, everyone is so friendly too.

Already made it to level 27. I'm almost up to the point where I quit last time. Never actually defeated Titan so when that day comes, all content will be new to me :D

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not unusual for this game, but other mmos usually don't release all of the raid content and then gate it to gear. They might do a staggered release, like A1 one week, A2 next, etc so that the gear up feels more natural (sort of), but in this game they just throw out everything without any hint (due to ptr) of the requirements. So these guilds throw themselves against a wall they actually can't climb. Just not used to that style.

I agree this is most likely the reason why.

You never played WoW?

The most notorious example is probably C'thun from AQ.

Also I'm pretty WoW even had spots were bosses were unbeatable because the rest of the raid dungeon wasn't finished.

Tiops

Oh wow, I thought Faust was the boss in A1, as a lot of people are having issues defeating him, but he is a mini-boss D:

I think I'm glad I'm not touching Alexander Savage yet. Will just work on my Esoterics thingies for the next weeks. It's recommended to save the tomestones for the i200 weapon first, right?

You never played WoW?

The most notorious example is probably C'thun from AQ.

Also I'm pretty WoW even had spots were bosses were unbeatable because the rest of the raid dungeon wasn't finished.

I knew someone was going to bring up Cthun or Ouro but Cthun was literally unkillable on release. Also think back on how long it took for an AQ clear compared to how long it took for BT clear and so on. Not to mention once Lich brought in hard modes those were what required gearing. We're talking 4 bosses here for FF14 compared to 10+ in WoW.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I knew someone was going to bring up Cthun or Ouro but Cthun was literally unkillable on release. Also think back on how long it took for an AQ clear compared to how long it took for BT clear and so on. Not to mention once Lich brought in hard modes those were what required gearing. We're talking 4 bosses here for FF14 compared to 10+ in WoW.

At least some of those 10+ bosses were certainly Faust quality though?

ThinFinn

Snarky replies notwithstanding, you aren't going to get 1200+ dps on Faust as a Bard. 99% of my damage I was doing last night was single target and I was hitting a bit over 1000 on a good run where I hit my rotation well + HQ Draco Pot + Food. Hitting 1200-1300 is not going to happen at i184 from a Bard, I don't think. I mean, not saying I'm top tier bard or anything, but I can't see people parsing 200+ over what I was doing at the same gear level. On our Faust kill I think I was at 987 on the final parse. I'm assuming it was because 1. I am bad and 2. I played Foe Requiem a second time near the end of the fight. Same DPS set up as your crew.

Edit:

As a reminder you need a raid dps of 6050 to kill Faust in 2:40

We're at 5.7-5.9k iirc.

I guess I'm not the only dreamer!

Valor

Shorter parses = higher numbers because burst will last longer. You can coast on that. One guy in that comment thread said he hits 1200+ in 2:25. That's 15 seconds+ faster than most people take to kill Faust.

If you guys are hitting enrage your parses will be around 2:40 to 2:50 and you aren't likely going to see 1200 by then. Like I said, you're gonna have to get that effective dps in other places. In my group's case, it came from the tanks.

ThinFinn

I just told you how, mang.

I wasn't sure how serious you all were with the comments about AoEs. D:

Shorter parses = higher numbers because burst will last longer. You can coast on that. One guy in that comment thread said he hits 1200+ in 2:25. That's 15 seconds+ faster than most people take to kill Faust.

If you guys are hitting enrage your parses will be around 2:40 to 2:50 and you aren't likely going to see 1200 by then. Like I said, you're gonna have to get that effective dps in other places. In my group's case, it came from the tanks.

Haiiiii. Noted with much thanks.

Will have to regroup and come up with alternative solutions.

Sorian

Banned
I wasn't sure how serious you all were with the comments about AoEs. D:

AoE all day everyday.

Do not AoE more than your normal single target rotation demands. You are doing about as close as you are going to get to max dps as a bard in the possible gear right now. The needed damage needs to come from other sources whether that be a slacking dps or tanks and healers needing to step up.

At least some of those 10+ bosses were certainly Faust quality though?

No, not really. I think is the first time I've seen a straight tank and spank, ignore adds boss in serious raid content. There are certainly easy bosses from a mechanical standpoint, but never anything this brain dead. FFXIV has always had an issue with too little encounters per raid. It is what it is, there is no defending it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
AoE all day everyday.

Do not AoE more than your normal single target rotation demands. You are doing about as close as you are going to get to max dps as a bard in the possible gear right now. The needed damage needs to come from other sources whether that be a slacking dps or tanks and healers needing to step up.

No, not really. I think is the first time I've seen a straight tank and spank, ignore adds boss in serious raid content. There are certainly easy bosses from a mechanical standpoint, but never anything this brain dead. FFXIV has always had an issue with too little encounters per raid. It is what it is, there is no defending it.

Faust is just trash. Just really strong trash now.

Valor

Haiiiii. Noted with much thanks.

Will have to regroup and come up with alternative solutions.
One thing I did with my BLM/SMN behind me was to start by the obvious BV Foe Requiem, but I Requiem'd again around 6ish stacks and I had around 3kish mp for the final stretch. That might help eek a few more points of total damage out.

It's recommended to save the tomestones for the i200 weapon first, right?
actually would like to know the answer to this as well. ive been debating whether or not i should just take the armor and wait for the weapon since its 3 weeks of saving vs 4 weeks for the body and pants.

Sorian

Banned
actually would like to know the answer to this as well. ive been debating whether or not i should just take the armor and wait for the weapon since its 3 weeks of saving vs 4 weeks for the body and pants.

The increase to dps from the weapon will blow the body and legs together out of the water, so yes, weapon is always first for a tank and dps. Healers might go by a different rule set, idk.

Edit: Everyone can just go paladin and buy their weapon in two weeks.

The increase to dps from the weapon will blow the body and legs together out of the water, so yes, weapon is always first for a tank and dps. Healers might go by a different rule set, idk.

i figured as much, but you know glamor > everything else so thats a thing. its all about lookin clean

Tabris

Always weapon. Always.

And yes, I love being PLD. Next week Weapon :) I can get my weapon and body in 2.5 weeks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
AoE all day everyday.

I guess the idea is a "If you can't make this much DPS don't even come here" test.

Sorian

Banned
I guess the idea is a "If you can't make this much DPS don't even come here" test.

Sounds petty to me in a weird way. Why bother with that when oppressor is two steps away and is a real test? This is straight up their answer to people sharing skips over ADS in T1 and trash in T6 and T10. Yoship is notorious for not liking people gaming the system and it gets dumb sometimes. Who cares if someone shared a lockout to skip past ADS. It's a garbage boss with no loot.

Yeah I've officially decided to go for the weapon first since the Black Mage's weapon is Det/SS so yeah.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah I've officially decided to go for the weapon first since the Black Mage's weapon is Det/SS so yeah.

Secondary stats matter so little at the moment that those shouldn't even really be in the discussion. The 1-2 weapon damage and large amount of int/det/str/whatever is the real meat.

what am I even doing right now.. do I even need rav ex weapon or alex gear when I can buy 200 stuff. even if its weeks away, there's nothing that actually needs the gear but savage. and it will be weeks before a non-static can get together and attempt savage anyway. is there anything but pvp left in this game right now. why did they do 160->200 within a month of xpac release.

Tabris

what am I even doing right now.. do I even need rav ex weapon or alex gear when I can buy 200 stuff. even if its weeks away, there's nothing that actually needs the gear but savage. and it will be weeks before a non-static can get together and attempt savage anyway. is there anything but pvp left in this game right now. why did they do 160->200 within a month of xpac release.

Are you on Ultros? If so, think longer. Ultros doesn't have a healthy PFer scene for this kind of content.

You should get a static.

iammeiam

Because actually getting 200 is going to take you a long-ass time, especially if you're not raiding and have 0 shot at non-esoterics gear?

You can just log in and cap your esoterics every week and eventually buy all the pieces, if increasing your ilevel is what you're playing for. The weekly cap means you'd have to stay subbed to do it, and eventually you'll outgear Savage enough to feel comfortable doing it.

There's no reason for them to withhold release esoterics gear further. Rav EX weapons will have been the best for almost two months before people can afford to buy esoterics; they'll still be the best way to gear up alt classes.

Sorian

Banned
Are you on Ultros? If so, think longer. Ultros doesn't have a healthy PFer scene for this kind of content.

You should get a static.

A1S won't be the scary beast it is once everyone is rocking a weapon and one or two pieces of esoterics plus all of their alex normal stuff. I think a month is fair to expect PF groups to be running.

You should get a static.

Aye, but my lifestyle/time doesn't really mesh well with a static. I've done my share of hardcore raiding at set times, it's not really for me anymore.

I think pvp would be plenty of content for me if gearing for pvp made sense. But the way the gear is statted and how it brings your ilvl DOWN instead of UP like WoW.. I don't know, makes it feel meaningless. Why isn't the pvp gear i200 the way pve gear is. Why isn't there a ranking system with secondary currency to upgrade them.. etc.

I guess I wish stuff like Bis/Rav were more abundant and released more frequently. Though, like I said, in a few weeks with gear I'm sure there will be A1 pf parties so that meshes better with my playstyle.

Sorian

Banned
Aye, but my lifestyle/time doesn't really mesh well with a static. I've done my share of hardcore raiding at set times, it's not really for me anymore.

I think pvp would be plenty of content for me if gearing for pvp made sense. But the way the gear is statted and how it brings your ilvl DOWN instead of UP like WoW.. I don't know, makes it feel meaningless. Why isn't the pvp gear i200 the way pve gear is. Why isn't there a ranking system with secondary currency to upgrade them.. etc.

I guess I wish stuff like Bis/Rav were more abundant and released more frequently. Though, like I said, in a few weeks with gear I'm sure there will be A1 pf parties so that meshes better with my playstyle.

They didn't know how to work around a pvp stat (what did we have for this game? expertise? prestige?) so instead of trying to figure it out, they just dropped it and threw their hands up in the air. Now that pvp gear is statted the same as pve stuff, they can't make pvp gear a high ilvl because then people would use that to get raid ready instead of doing pve things.

when the pvp gear was released it was consistent w/ the ilvls at the time. They havent done much w/ it since then. Plus all pvp content was geared towards lvl 50 characters anyways. Look at secure and slaughter, they'll sync you lvl 50.

Morale used to have an effect in pvp and now it doesnt because trying to fight ppl w/ morale when you dont have any was dumb. Also it isnt on their priority so it will always get the shaft

WoW did a morale-like system as well. It's fine. I think the confusing thing for most casual players is why do morale and materia work in a mode that isn't played as much and doesn't get any new content. Den is great, but if you release a new Frontlines and everyone is in that, why is shit on my gear useless.

Sorian

Banned
when the pvp gear was released it was consistent w/ the ilvls at the time. They havent done much w/ it since then. Plus all pvp content was geared towards lvl 50 characters anyways. Look at secure and slaughter, they'll sync you lvl 50.

Morale used to have an effect in pvp and now it doesnt because trying to fight ppl w/ morale when you dont have any was dumb. Also it isnt on their priority so it will always get the shaft

Morale, that's what I was thinking of. Good system that needed minor adjustments but FFXIV is a carebear game so real pvp scared them.

WoW did a morale-like system as well. It's fine. I think the confusing thing for most casual players is why do morale and materia work in a mode that isn't played as much and doesn't get any new content. Den is great, but if you release a new Frontlines and everyone is in that, why is shit on my gear useless.

Morale, that's what I was thinking of. Good system that needed minor adjustments but FFXIV is a carebear game so real pvp scared them.

Morale sucked especially with how crappy wolves den was and class balance. Wait 45 minutes for a match to then lose to Rum Raisin in his better gear and get like 40 experience was not a great system

Sorian

Banned
Morale sucked especially with how crappy wolves den was and class balance. Wait 45 minutes for a match to then lose to Rum Raisin in his better gear and get like 40 experience was not a great system

Morale was fine, wolves den was a garbage attempt at Pvp. People still salty that they were getting wrecked and its been more than a year lol

Tabris

A1S won't be the scary beast it is once everyone is rocking a weapon and one or two pieces of esoterics plus all of their alex normal stuff. I think a month is fair to expect PF groups to be running.

Remember you are watching top end groups run this content.

Unlike something like Rav EX, they won't be going to PFer for the content as they are in a static. So his pool of players is non-static players who don't raid. And then you're dealing with Ultros which has a very small pool of raid-ready players compared to some other servers.

So I doubt a month for a decent amount of PFers.

Remember how long it took for T10 and T11 PFers to show up.

SF V beta begins in 6 hours. I know people will be pushing A1S hard still, but anyone else in GAF mumble who has it hit me up so you can blow me up while I do wake-up shoryuken for days. Also I will be changing to Twin Badders later today to ride the win train to ADS mount this weekend after I get BLM to 60.

Sorian

Banned
Remember how long it took for T10 and T11 PFers to show up.

About a month for T10, yeah. I'm not saying there will be 100s in the PF or that it will even be remotely successful. But 1 or 2 will be there and people will join them. Not everyone who wants to raid is in a static, especially in a more casual server like ultros.

SF V beta begins in 6 hours. I know people will be pushing A1S hard still, but anyone else in GAF mumble who has it hit me up so you can blow me up while I do wake-up shoryuken for days.

You'll be getting blown up in A1 savage tonight. Pls be excited.

SF V beta begins in 6 hours. I know people will be pushing A1S hard still, but anyone else in GAF mumble who has it hit me up so you can blow me up while I do wake-up shoryuken for days.

you cant match against specific ppl, only randoms anywhere in the world

Tabris

SF V beta begins in 6 hours. I know people will be pushing A1S hard still, but anyone else in GAF mumble who has it hit me up so you can blow me up while I do wake-up shoryuken for days. Also I will be changing to Twin Badders later today to ride the win train to ADS mount this weekend after I get BLM to 60.

We got A1S in 6hrs :p

Flames were winning this morning so I hope you change right when Adders are terrible.

Top Bottom