• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

glaurung

Now this is just embarrassing. Now the launcher on the PC version does not even show the fields for username and passwords.

gg early access launc.

Bleh.

*goes back to TW3

Got my Astrlogian to 50, pretty cool class. It's basically WHM with a minigame added on top for all these times I found WHM to be boring. There's a few differences here and there but it's very much the same classes with 10ish less potency on everything that you compensate with cards(sometimes).

The whole second stance is pure garbage though, I don't see any situation where I'd ever use it over the regen stance unless for some weird reason they made WHM regens not stack with AST regens(and considering WHM stack with itself, that sounds unlikely). The main issue is you don't get Adlo, you get Succor(which is mostly not very good but since you also have Medica I, it's pretty alright) and like 1/2 of Adlo but eh it's instant cast! /s. Makes no sense to give up Regen just so you can get Succor instead of Medica II.

From what I've seen you'll want WHM/SCH or AST/SCH. SCH is still too good at a bunch of stuff, though I guess WHM/AST would work too probably but seems fairly inefficient.

RK9039

Got my Astrlogian to 50, pretty cool class. It's basically WHM with a minigame added on top for all these times I found WHM to be boring. There's a few differences here and there but it's very much the same classes with 10ish less potency on everything that you compensate with cards(sometimes).

The whole second stance is pure garbage though, I don't see any situation where I'd ever use it over the regen stance unless for some weird reason they made WHM regens not stack with AST regens(and considering WHM stack with itself, that sounds unlikely). The main issue is you don't get Adlo, you get Succor(which is mostly not very good but since you also have Medica I, it's pretty alright) and like 1/3 of Adlo but eh it's instant cast! /s. Makes no sense to give up Regen just so you can get Succor instead of Medica II.

From what I've seen you'll want WHM/SCH or AST/SCH. SCH is still too good at a bunch of stuff, though I guess WHM/AST would work too probably but seems fairly inefficient.

How did you get it to 50 so quick?

nikos

Guys, should I switch to female Au Ra Raen? Been playing male Lalafell since the beginning. Not a fan of tales and horns but the racial attributes are much better than Hyur for a WHM. Sort of want to switch it up.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Guys, should I switch to female Au Ra Raen? Been playing male Lalafell since the beginning. Not a fan of tales and horns but the racial attributes are much better than Hyur for a WHM. Sort of want to switch it up.
As far as I know, the only time racial stats have ever truly mattered to some degree was in ARR and it only applied to the Black Mage rotation. With the arrival of HW that should no longer be a thing (for now).

Play whatever race you like the look of.

Hmm played a lot? Other than the 6hours or so I slept, I've been playing the rest of the time more or less besides a couple of hours break to watch some dota. Have to remember the boosted armory xp(the bonus for having a char higher level than the one you're playing) from +50% to +100% and new jobs start at 30. It's very easy to do a level an hour, more even in the early levels especially with the weekly challenge log and the daillies low level and so on.

I preordered the game and can't access it for early access on ps4. On the mogstation my account says I have early access but I don't have the circle under heavensward if that makes sense. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

JudgeN

So I just did Tam-Tara Hard and Stone Vigil hard quest to unlock them for Duty Roulette: High level. I got zero exp even from boss, is that how it suppose to be? Then I did the actual Duty Roulette: high and I got 118k from last boss.

SE can't be serious with this zero exp from lvl 50 dungeons shit.

I preordered the game and can't access it for early access on ps4. On the mogstation my account says I have early access but I don't have the circle under heavensward if that makes sense. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

yeah that will only appear once you have inputed the main game code. If you have everything downloaded on your system then you should be good to go.

RK9039

Hmm played a lot? Other than the 6hours or so I slept, I've been playing the rest of the time more or less besides a couple of hours break to watch some dota. Have to remember the boosted armory xp(the bonus for having a char higher level than the one you're playing) from +50% to +100% and new jobs start at 30. It's very easy to do a level an hour, more even in the early levels especially with the weekly challenge log and the daillies low level and so on.

Nice, might try Dark Knight then.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Woke up early this morning to try and tackle SE customer service.
They won the battle yesterday but the war is hardly over.

I could have flown to SD, fixed it myself, and flown back home in the time I was left on hold yesterday only to be cut off when their office closed.

Yeah. I guess I'm still waiting for the final game code to show up from Green Man Gaming. The only one I ever received was the early access code.

Hmm even though I play mainly with keyboard and mouse I'm debating buying a second bluetooth dongle and setting up my DS4 with mouse-touchpad support

This game is wonderful.

I'm not an MMO guy, but ARR totally roped me in hard when it launched.

Heavensward is everything I wanted it to be and more, just as an FF fan. So fucking good.

Kenai

I would have gotten past 50 by now too if I didn't have to do other things (work). I got one day off and wish I coulda got more but eh, 45 in one day isn't too bad, especially since I plan on taking my time once I hit 50. Only reason I wanted to grind out the 30-50 is because of how many times I have seen it prior.

Do the daily LLDR and GHDR and stop for your class quests, but live in Coerthas FATE parties with a cheap + 3% exp food otherwise. I guess n Than is ok too after 45ish but those are a lot less common, easy to just stay in Coerthas til 50. There's also decent exp to be had in DD clear parties if they still work and people are willing but those are again a lot less common since pugs aren't always good enough for them, especially with new classes they are still learning..

The whole second stance is pure garbage though, I don't see any situation where I'd ever use it over the regen stance unless for some weird reason they made WHM regens not stack with AST regens(and considering WHM stack with itself, that sounds unlikely). The main issue is you don't get Adlo, you get Succor(which is mostly not very good but since you also have Medica I, it's pretty alright) and like 1/2 of Adlo but eh it's instant cast! /s. Makes no sense to give up Regen just so you can get Succor instead of Medica II.

There's a few things at higher levels that differentiate AST enough from SCH that I think they are a solid replacement. SCH still probably has much better MP efficiency due to free fairy healing and things like the new Selene cleanse since there's no guarantee of getting Ewer on a regular basis for themselves, but otherwise AST gets their own version of Sacred Soil, Succor, mini-Adlo, and additional AoE damage reduction with Collective that SCH doesn't have. In addition, some general stuff they have in both stances like their own version of Virus and the Bole card aoe damage reduction that should make for a competent combo with WHM, especially since SCH took a heavy nerf to their dmg while healing mode while WHM got a boost in it. AST also has more effective AoE healing unless a SCH blows some of their stacks using their new AoE spell or uses Eos over Selene.

i can imagine the barrier stance doesn't feel fleshed out at 50 considering that is the level you get it. I'm curious to see how it feels at 60 (though i am perfectly fine with SCH being considered irreplaceable :p)

Just finished the lvl 50 DRK job quest.

I'm almost speechless. A very well done and truly emotional scene, especially so if you are attached to/invested in your character and story.

Kenai

Anyone playing/played MCH yet? Is it as bad as I'm hearing from other forums/reddit?

Nah, ppl are whiny. Basically duo'd with a friend into the 40s yesterday and he is (literally) having a blast with it, tons of utility and stuff to do at any moment. it's the 2.0 SMN complaining all over again by people who aren't anywhere near max level not knowing what they are talking about. if there is a real problem, they certainly won't know anything about it during the leveling experience.

Question: I'm kinda-sorta tempted to get the FFX14 complete edition (both Realm Reborn+Heavensward) for the PS4...however, I'm working retail hours e.g (11am-9:30pm) so I wouldn't really have too much time for it...any advice on whether I'll be able to get my money worth for the little time that I'll be able to spend on it, or am I better off getting another game instead?

I recommend getting the base ARR game first, since it's pretty cheap, comes with a free month and you need to do the base game anyway to access the expansion content (though just doing the Main Scenario on one class is enough to get there at this point). If you like it, buy the expansion, and if not, you didn't waste much money. It's extremely friendly to people who don't play much (unless you are interested in high end raiding).

Is FATE grinding viable in these new areas? I did a few but only got 14k for gold so I stopped bothering.

I hear it's not that good. Lots of exp to be had from (beating) dungeons though in between questing.

There's a few things at higher levels that differentiate AST enough from SCH that I think they are a solid replacement. SCH still probably has much better MP efficiency due to free fairy healing and things like the new Selene cleanse since there's no guarantee of getting Ewer on a regular basis for themselves, but otherwise AST gets their own version of Sacred Soil, Succor, mini-Adlo, and additional AoE damage reduction with Collective that SCH doesn't have. In addition, some general stuff they have in both stances like their own version of Virus and the Bole card aoe damage reduction that should make for a competent combo with WHM, especially since SCH took a heavy nerf to their dmg while healing mode while WHM got a boost in it. AST also has more effective AoE healing unless a SCH blows some of their stacks using their new AoE spell or uses Eos over Selene.

i can imagine the barrier stance doesn't feel fleshed out at 50 considering that is the level you get it. I'm curious to see how it feels at 60 (though i am perfectly fine with SCH being considered irreplaceable :p)

I don't think Collective will change that much. And it's a really poor version of Sacred Soil, it has 3times the cooldown(90s vs 30s) and seems clunky to apply since you have to wait for everyone to enter it to get the buff before you can do anything else versus placing it somewhere and have people stand in it. Just like Disable is a really poor version of virus assuming that's what you meant, hell it's not even close, it's only usable on very specific abilities(stuff that counts as weaponskill AND has a castbar AND that you don't need to be precasting too closely for so you have time to Disable during the cast).

AoE bole is kinda nice but requires a good amount of luck to get, and is only 5%mitigation for 15secs after using 2x 30secs card draws.

The "problem" is none of the stuff AST provides is particularily powerful or reliable. On the other hand you provide a lot of different stuff that can cover a lot of different situations, but without being reliable, I don't see them replacing SCH for the utility healer slot. Sacred Soil and traited Virus are still way way strong, as well as the fairy stuff(Eos especially on progression with the increased healing/reduced magic dmg cooldowns), much higher mp efficiency which lets you rez more without hurting, unparalleled burst single target healing over short periods of time(lustrate spam).

That's why I see them more likely to replace the WHM role than the SCH role. They do most of what the WHM do, they lack Cure III for real bursty aoe healing but with SCH getting a burst aoe heal, this isn't as much a concern anymore, their healing output is lower(in large part due to the lack of Divine Seal) but they provide more damage reduction/damage increase tools to compensate. Feels like a better fit.

I guess what remains to be seen is the raid design and what you actually end up needing though. I don't think any combination of 2 healers is particularily bad, but I feel it'd be probably more optimal to do the pairings I mentioned, SCH/WHM or SCH/AST rather than WHM/AST(or any double).

Mostly what matters to me is it's fairly fun to play, and I like when I'm getting the cards just like I want and buff people with some pretty strong stuff, and it'll be even better when I can extend the cards duration.

More people need to post their cumulative playtime so I can feel better about myself.

CH3px_NUkAAa7wr.png

Tbh I'm not sure what happened to mine as I've heard varying reports of it supposedly counting your 1.0 time too. If I go by my Steam in-game time, it's closer to 416 days. So either mine reset somehow at some point or the people with 700+ days have something wrong with their tracking. Couple of people in Giant Bomb are already in their 200s though. Most are floating around 60-80 days though.

Do the people in the hundreds of days play anything else?

I very intentionally play other things because it increases my affinity for this game in the long run. I took a month off each to play stuff like the entire Witcher series and Bloodborne. If I stayed on 24/7 leveling everything I could, I'd end up hating the game. Much prefer this game in moderation, it's fantastic when taken at that pace.

notworksafe

So, as a Machinist, what's the best retainer class to get me cool stuff? I assume there's no Machinist for retainers since it's a job and not a class.

MechaX

Just got Minuet for Bard a few hours ago before I went to sleep (and now I am back up).

To be honest, with the slight auto-attack nerf, I can kinda see how Minuet balances things out, especially with Barrage's change (ie, "three heavy shots incoming").

I still cannot figure out if I'm just supposed to be in Minuet at all times (unless I have to do heavy moving) and just treat it like a BLM through and through, or if I'm supposed to be going in and out of it. But eh, I'm interested to see how the other BRD moves come into play.

Sallokin

Got everything set up for early access and my legacy character is gone... ultra sad face.

I think I've been inactive for fewer than 4 months, but I wasn't aware SE were deleting characters.

Wilsongt

I have enjoyed what I played of machinist. Got it to 34. Did some msg, a temple leve, ran around the map and listened to music. So far it has been a blast.

Uthred

When everyone is past where you are you have to either enlist help from your FC who are all mostly doing new content or wait for a half hour for the game to give you a party because nobody is running these old instances. 30m wait for most primals, stuck on the 1 quest I can do until it is complete. What a fun way to spend your time with an expansion.

Waited thirty five minutes to do the first dungeon in HW, 30 minute queues are fairly standard (for DPS at least)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Got everything set up for early access and my legacy character is gone... ultra sad face.

I think I've been inactive for fewer than 4 months, but I wasn't aware SE were deleting characters.

They shouldn't be. You don't have two different accounts and you logged into the wrong one? Did you select the server they were on?

Sallokin

They shouldn't be. You don't have two different accounts and you logged into the wrong one? Did you select the server they were on?

Just the one account. I double checked server stuff and it's all accurate. Guess I'll submit a ticket and hope there's a solution, otherwise I'll just start fresh (as painful as that may be lol)

jorgeton

25 days and change over the course of a year. Surprised it's not higher.

They have stepped it up with the story in 3.0. The quests are much more interesting and cut scene direction is a lot better. It's also just a whole lot more addictive and immediate. It feels like a high end single player rpg, whereas 2.0 def felt like a story grafted around an mmo. Really happy with it so far.

Just the one account. I double checked server stuff and it's all accurate. Guess I'll submit a ticket and hope there's a solution, otherwise I'll just start fresh (as painful as that may be lol)

It is probably because of the ongoing bug where certain characters aren't showing on lodestone/mogstation/the official forums. Logging into game should fix it.

Bard Master Race.

I haven't played in a few months while I finished my college course....but I got signed off yesterday :) So I want to get back into ARR + Heavenward. I don't think I got my 50 Bard madly geared. At all. I think I had 1 or 2 items at ilvl 70, 3 at 90 and the rest the 50 class items :p

Would I need to get geared before jumping into the xpac or would the quests etc reward me to help me "catch up" to whatever the standard is?

Sallokin

It is probably because of the ongoing bug where certain characters aren't showing on lodestone/mogstation/the official forums. Logging into game should fix it.

I thought it could be that at first, but the character doesn't show up in the actual client. Submitted a ticket and will wait. I know there's probably a ton of crazy stuff going on right now and I'm fairly casual so it's nbd. Just wanted to check if there were other known issues before I jammed up the service center with a request.

Nibiru

Banned
I'm really loving the expansion. I know it's not that popular to be a cut scene skipper but good lord I feel like if I was to watch them all I would lose my mind lol. I've decided to role play as a Black mage with ADD.

I didn't notice dx 11 too much at first but now I'm noticing the improvements. I actually really like the way you unlock flying in a zone it's not too difficult it seems but also not just a currency unlock which is great.

I highly recommend this for any jrpg fan. You can legitimately solo the whole game if you choose to or you can embrace every social aspect and have a full out mmo experience. It's just a really good game imo.

For first time players who are rushing to get into the expansion content don't miss the Hildibrand quest line it was the highlight for me in the RR.

Aesthet1c

Bard Master Race.

I haven't played in a few months while I finished my college course....but I got signed off yesterday :) So I want to get back into ARR + Heavenward. I don't think I got my 50 Bard madly geared. At all. I think I had 1 or 2 items at ilvl 70, 3 at 90 and the rest the 50 class items :p

Would I need to get geared before jumping into the xpac or would the quests etc reward me to help me "catch up" to whatever the standard is?

I've been leveling a DRK so I haven't been in the new area, but I've seen people mentioning you get like ilvl 110 gear from quests in the new area. So I'd just head straight in.

I've been leveling a DRK so I haven't been in the new area, but I've seen people mentioning you get like ilvl 110 gear from quests in the new area. So I'd just head straight in.

Sweet! Also...maybe a slightly random question but if I have the game on PC and got it on PS4...i know it adds another service account to your Mogstation thing but I could use my Bard on PS4 and vice versa, right?

Thanks again

Bittercup

What are you doing with spare poetic tomestones? Anything worthwhile to buy? Will new level 60 gear use poetics?
Or just buy old sets for glamour?

Top Bottom