• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

A great side effect to having this be a continuation of the story so that people who haven't reached this point yet can't enter Ishgard: no gil-selling spammers in the new zones!

aceface

Most of the criticisms I'm reading can be summed up as "endgame now pls" Which I can see if thats what you enjoy about the game. But I always enjoyed 1-50 more than endgame so I'm enjoying the hell out of exploring, story cutscenes, quests, etc, so far this stuff is way better than what they had in 1-50.

Isaccard

are they not legitimate?

The stuff coming from you and Scy are disappointing because I would think you both know better, this isn't your first rodeo. The stuff about the quests is all standard MMO fare and should've been expected, I always find it amusing when people thing the next new MMO or expansion is suddenly going to change that.(sup Guild Wars 2 hype)

The complaints about having to "grind" through 2.0 to access Heavensward content, I lol. Hype train band wagoners who play the first month then drop the game until the next new shiny triple A thing is out, if you didint care enough to finish the story then, you won't care about Heavensward story now. This is a Final Fantasy game first and foremost, where story is driving everything the player is doing.

I can't comment much about exploration pains as I've yet to really do much of that yet, but I imagine I'll find myself being a little annoyed at this to.

The level gap thing Scy mentioned was in ARR, can't say I'm shocked that it's an issue again, side quests and and challenge log is what I'd say to that but /shrug

All I'm seeing is people whining about wanting to race to an endgame that isint even available yet so we can all go back to AFKing in the Mist.

BadRNG

Just finished the lvl 50 DRK job quest.

I'm almost speechless. A very well done and truly emotional scene, especially so if you are attached to/invested in your character and story.
Yes, the DRK 30-50 questline is easily my favorite job quest I've seen. Despite the 2edgy4u dialogue ripped out of Kingdom Hearts and an Emperor Palaptine speech, the overall theme of the plot is pretty damn good, and even if I wasn't super satisfied with the final conclusion the events proceeding were pretty exciting.

Massive DRK job spoilers:
It was incredibly obvious who "Fray" was well ahead of time, but I still got hyped when "you" stepped out of in full DRK AF2 regalia. I loved some of the stuff "he" says in the quests too, it really perfectly captures how I feel as the player sometimemostofthetime. Seeing your character have an actual voice and desire for once was a refreshing change of pace. I just wish it could of go on more instead of simply ending with "it's ok baby I love you" darkside hug and you're done. I know it's just essentially a side quest and will never happen but I'd love so much for it to spill over into the MSQ some day, give our characters some actual personality and real emotion. It's not really accepting our own desires/self if we just go back to ticking-time-bomb errand boy, one bad day away from saying fuck Eorzea and leaving these idiots to deal with their own shit.

I'm having so much fun with DRK. I hate to say it but I can't help but feel like a nerf is in order for them in the future... they are too good! It seems like they have like 5-6 more enmity gain skills than the other tanks have and their actual methods of pulling mobs and keeping hate are way too effective. Who would play Paladin when Dark Knight is so much more well-rounded as a tank role?
Because PLD still has better physical mitigation, reliable utility, and (potentially, we'll see) better OT damage?

At 50 now and I can easily say DRK is my favorite of the tanks, but it's not because it's easy to keep aggro on trash, which is essentially what most people I have seen say makes them overpowered. No one cares about trash when it comes to balance, or at least I hope they don't. MP management doesn't really become a thing until 45 and Dark Arts enters the fray, but there are some issues with the class in that department while tanking. Blood Price is just not always that good on bosses, it relies far too much on what the enemy is doing rather than what the player is doing, which is never good in my opinion (especially in regards to resource management). Luckily it's a pretty easy fix if it comes to that, it's too early to tell.

Outside of MP management they need to make Reprisal's cast window longer(maybe make it work like Enhanced Unleash?) and perhaps lower the cooldown, so we can actually use the debuff when it's needed. At 60 it's possible the parry rate gets so high that you essentially can use it whenever you want, but who knows on that front yet.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
number 8 in chat support Q.

It's been 5 hours so hopefully I can get into my account sometime before the weekend is up.

Wilsongt

Lol @ people complaining about fetch quests in a FF game, especially 14.

I guess everyone forgot about having to massage Godbert or rub lotion on the bald guy's head at Highbridge in 2.0.

dcye

The complaints about having to "grind" through 2.0 to access Heavensward content, I lol. Hype train band wagoners who play the first month then drop the game until the next new shiny triple A thing is out, if you didint care enough to finish the story then, you won't care about Heavensward story now. This is a Final Fantasy game first and foremost, where story is driving everything the player is doing.

Winning post.

Yes, the DRK 30-50 questline is easily my favorite job quest I've seen. Despite the 2edgy4u dialogue ripped out of Kingdom Hearts and an Emperor Palaptine speech, the overall theme of the plot is pretty damn good, and even if I wasn't super satisfied with the final conclusion the events proceeding were pretty exciting.

Massive DRK job spoilers:
It was incredibly obvious who "Fray" was well ahead of time, but I still got hyped when "you" stepped out of in full DRK AF2 regalia. I loved some of the stuff "he" says in the quests too, it really perfectly captures how I feel as the player sometimemostofthetime. Seeing your character have an actual voice and desire for once was a refreshing change of pace. I just wish it could of go on more instead of simply ending with "it's ok baby I love you" darkside hug and you're done. I know it's just essentially a side quest and will never happen but I'd love so much for it to spill over into the MSQ some day, give our characters some actual personality and real emotion. It's not really accepting our own desires/self if we just go back to ticking-time-bomb errand boy, one bad day away from saying fuck Eorzea and leaving these idiots to deal with their own shit.

DRK job spoilers:
Usually I see twists like that coming and there were some clues that stood out in particular but I was still surprised when the true identity of "Fray" was revealed. It was rather satisfying to see "me" speak at last even if it was the darkside which is pretty much fed up with the fetch/do/save this business. I'm glad "she" didn't die or vanish but made it clear "she" will always be there ready for when "we're" fed up with Eorzeas bullshit. Before this the DRG story was among my favorites but this pulled far ahead of it. Looking forward to seeing how the 52-60 quests play out now!

Cmagus

500k or so left until lv 55 and I'm one quest away from flying in the 3rd area.

Really liking the expansion so far. The story feels much better, I like new BLM skills and new dungeons, plus I loved Ravana's fight.

One thing that I don't like is the size of the new zones. I feel a bit stupid for saying this, since I was one of the people very vocal about small maps in 2.0, but exploring the new areas without being able to fly is a pain. Yes, most of them look great, but having to find slops which are climbable "just because, going around barriers which are a few cm too high to jump over them is a bit annoying.
As for the size itself, a lot of the space feels redundant. Sure, it's better than cramped zones from before, but a big part of it is just sprinkled with a few enemies and doesn't seem all that interesting, views aside.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy because I spent the whole day playing and I'm quite tired, who knows.

I agree with you on this. The areas are really nice but it does get tedious going back and fourth through them. There are a lot of slopes and hills that look like no brainers for climbing over or jumping on but nope. That being said once you get all the currents flying is great and honestly so much more enjoyable. I really like popping up and down when doing FATES it's nice and fast.

So far I'm really liking the expansion it is certainly massive and the story has been great, Ravana was a lot of fun and the new dungeons so far are pretty good although extremely easy. The soundtrack is phenomenal, Soken absolutely nails it.

Side note T-rex dinosaurs don't like when you feed them pumpkin cookies just a heads up.

Destructoid review in progress had some worrying comments on the performance of the PS4 version. Can anyone share their impressions?

The game ran great for me all day yesterday. I think I saw a little lag once and that was about it. I was doing a ton of FATES full of 20+ people and the game stayed solid. I did have one crash trying to end a party finder but I had no problems logging back in.

Cømet

Banned
Okay okay, switched preorder to Amazon since Zavvi are crap. Got my code, redeemed it and entered my 12 digit one on PSN store.

What now? Halp

EDIT: Never mind, got it to work. Bloody PSN store is such a pain in the arse.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well that's hardly going to help, is it :p

In all seriousness it's a shitty situation but it's not like they can have 1 CS person for every sub.

But over 9 total hours to not get through to a person just to enable me to log into the game is pretty ridiculous. It's 100% a staffing/policy issue on their end which they have had years to fix.

I will never put a token on my account again. Getting a hacked account back is probably just as easy as removing a damned token.

Squishy3

Lol @ people complaining about fetch quests in a FF game, especially 14.

I guess everyone forgot about having to massage Godbert or rub lotion on the bald guy's head at Highbridge in 2.0.
Hildibrand quests are exempt from this though because the payoff is always extraordinary.

Having to do fetch quests to unlock more fetch quests to unlock aether currents is pretty terrible, especially when you're heading to a quest marker and then remembering you need to go super far in another direction to even get up to where the quest marker is also isn't great.

Cmagus

Hildibrand quests are exempt from this though because the payoff is always extraordinary.

Having to do fetch quests to unlock more fetch quests to unlock aether currents is pretty terrible, especially when you're heading to a quest marker and then remembering you need to go super far in another direction to even get up to where the quest marker is also isn't great.

At least the fetch quests in the new areas give decent exp and they are all pretty quick. I usually grab a bunch and they normally all end up spawning on my way to the next area so I just knock them out quick on the way.

Squire

Banned
Do you guys know how long it'll take them to lift some of these character creation restrictions? I want to make one on Leviathan.

LegatoB

Do you guys know how long it'll take them to lift some of these character creation restrictions? I want to make one on Leviathan.
They tend to lift in cycles. You have to check the list when it updates (it's every 5-6 hours, I think?) and see if the server you want is open for it, then rush in and make a character. I suggest creating & saving the design you want in advance.

Vanethyr

*sigh*

Kinda wish I'd paid more attention to the patch notes now (or just played more in general), only found out yesterday that I had to finish all the Main Scenario quests to unlock Ishgard.

Oh well! I'm having a blast catching up, and it's only making me more excited about the Heavensward content.

Anyone else playing on Odin?

Bittercup

I hate that the game always closes itself when it can't connect to the lobby server and you have to enter password and one-time password again and again and again until it can finally connect instead of just going back to the start screen to try again.

Ferr986

Got kicked a while ago and still can't enter. Error 2002 :(

I hate that the game always closes itself when it can't connect to the lobby server and you have to enter password and one-time password again and again and again until it can finally connect instead of just going back to the start screen to try again.

yeah , especially annoying if you se a token. I'm even thinking about disable it.

Firebrand

Yup. Servers still are listed as "Online" but I don't want to keep punching in my password and security token. Time for a break I guess.

I don't think it's fair to call everyone who stopped subbing before the expansion came out "a hype train bandwagoner." It's fairly common for MMO players to dip out and come back for expansions, and correct me if I'm wrong but FFXIV is fairly unique in that the story is one giant thread to follow, rather than having separate starting points.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think it's fair to call everyone who stopped subbing before the expansion came out "a hype train bandwagoner." It's fairly common for MMO players to dip out and come back for expansions, and correct me if I'm wrong but FFXIV is fairly unique in that the story is one giant thread to follow, rather than having separate starting points.

It is, but they made a point that it was with each major update.

3.0 content is out of place on it's own

Ferr986

Yeah. Also, who cares if people sub for a couple of months and then unsubcribse? Isn't it better for the game to get subscriptions even if they are for a couple of months? Making it easier to players = more money. I don't see how it is even bad.
Hell now is the perfect time to do it, with the hype about the expansion.

You can still enjoy the story if that's what suits you.

It is, but they made a point that it was with each major update.

Sure, and that's great for players who kept subscribing. Why would players who unsubscribed follow news about patches, though? Those players get tempted back with big news like expansions, not story patches.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad that FFXIV does it this way - I'm in the middle of trucking through 2.2 to catch up after resubbing and I'm having fun - but I think the complaints are valid. It's frustrating to get excited to return for an expansion only to realize that you have several hours of stuff to do before you can even access what you were looking forward to, especially if you don't particularly care for the story in the first place.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sure, and that's great for players who kept subscribing. Why would players who unsubscribed follow news about patches, though? Those players get tempted back with big news like expansions, not story patches.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad that FFXIV does it this way - I'm in the middle of trucking through 2.2 to catch up after resubbing and I'm having fun - but I think the complaints are valid. It's frustrating to get excited to return for an expansion only to realize that you have several hours of stuff to do before you can even access what you were looking forward to, especially if you don't particularly care for the story in the first place.

That's where I just shrug at them for not knowing what they got in to.

I've been loving the expansion so far my only two complaints are class related rather than the content.

-AST at level 33 and I've noticed a couple things. Holy fuck that class does not. Fuck helping the party DPS even with Cleric Stance you'd be better off auto attacking rather than wasting your mana using dps skills that do no damage. Gonna take some time to learn the cards I'm pulling since three of the six cards are blue and in the heat of battle I may not notice a difference in symbol leading my to just buffing the tank rather than accidentally putting the mana card on the dragoon.

-Healing as a Scholar feels odd now. There's just something I'm not liking about it and I think its because I'm feeling more like a White Mage.

especially if you don't particularly care for the story in the first place.
The expansion is all about the story, as is the rest of the game (it is a numbered Final Fantasy game for a reason). If you don't want to experience the story, then unfortunately this isn't the game for you.

In case you didn't know, it's not like the 2.x story is acting like a gate to keep you from accessing the expansion - the story is a continuous one. Even once you make it into Ishgard, that doesn't mean you have access to flying mounts, new fields with enemies, or new dungeons or raids. You have to keep following the story to slowly unlock these things in 3.0.

Uthred

That's where I just shrug at them for not knowing what they got in to.

I honestly dont understand the appeal of FFXIV if you ignore the story, there are better looking MMO's, MMO's with more content, MMO's with better end game, better mechanics, better etc. FFXIV's selling point seems to be the story and setting, ignoring them just seems odd. Also, as you said, they've pretty clearly put the story front and center, it shouldnt be a surprise to anyone.

Top Bottom