• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

-NeoTB1-

I'm really loving the expansion. I know it's not that popular to be a cut scene skipper but good lord I feel like if I was to watch them all I would lose my mind lol. I've decided to role play as a Black mage with ADD.

I didn't notice dx 11 too much at first but now I'm noticing the improvements. I actually really like the way you unlock flying in a zone it's not too difficult it seems but also not just a currency unlock which is great.

I highly recommend this for any jrpg fan. You can legitimately solo the whole game if you choose to or you can embrace every social aspect and have a full out mmo experience.
It's just a really good game imo.

For first time players who are rushing to get into the expansion content don't miss the Hildibrand quest line it was the highlight for me in the RR.

It was my understanding that in order to even access the expansion content you need to progress to a certain point in the main story... and in doing so, there are several dungeons and/or primal trials that you need to queue up for and beat.

But yes, other than that, my (albeit limited) experience with this game was mostly solo play. I'm tempted to come back and play on the PS4 this time around.

The directx 11 client is such a huge improvement for me..

The little graphics upgrades are nice, but the most noticeable thing for me is how much better it runs.

Limsa central aetheryte is around 29 fps on the dx9 client for me.

Log out, flip DX 11 switch, log back in - 60 fps

they must have optimized better for multi-core cpus in the dx 11 client.. because the difference is massive.

Astra

Even at 3 AM I can't get onto Gilgamesh. Ugh.

This is why I told my friends to get onto Gilgamesh weeks before the expansion. I knew it'd be in hard lock down for the expansion.

You could always make a character on another server and transfer to Gilgamesh. Transfers are 100 times easier, lol.

Clipse

I've only gotten DRK to 33 so far, but I'm liking it more than I thought I would. It's nice that I can play it like PLD and have my hotbars setup almost the same way.

Semper88

wish i had more motivation to level and explore. nothing is fighting back....again.

Same here.. I'm having alot of trouble doing the lvling again.

I'll let my gf do it for me, i like dungeons and raids but i saw my gf do the dungeons and it was so fkin easy like always blehh.

Teletraan1

Banned
I figured I would get a lot of opposite opinions with my last post but after doing 12+ hours of fetch quests that would make the Dragon Age Inquisition quest creators blush for Story and 2 hours of dungeons/primals I can't really agree with what anyone said.

I have been there for launch of every major MMO and every major MMO expansion. Never have I ever felt as bummed out after day 1. Oh well. it is almost over.

At least while doing the dungeons/primals I was pretty much free of those rager type people who drove me off of this game and put me in this predicament in the first place. Everyone was pretty chill and honestly none of the fights were even challenging. It was all the same move out of stuff/kill add. The abilities had different effects but there was little that was new.

Semper88

I figured I would get a lot of opposite opinions with my last post but after doing 12+ hours of fetch quests that would make the Dragon Age Inquisition quest creators blush for Story and 2 hours of dungeons/primals I can't really agree with what anyone said.

I have been there for launch of every major MMO and every major MMO expansion. Never have I ever felt as bummed out after day 1. Oh well. it is almost over.

At least while doing the dungeons/primals I was pretty much free of those rager type people who drove me off of this game and put me in this predicament in the first place. Everyone was pretty chill and honestly none of the fights were even challenging. It was all the same move out of stuff/kill add. The abilities had different effects but there was little that was new.

Exactly how I feel.

Zomba13

Once again, if anyone new wants a referral thingie PM me.

On topic though, how badass is Ravana? Such a cool primal and the Gnath/Vath are really cool too.

Squishy3

Can the Heavensward CE bonuses be redeemed yet? They're listed on my mogstation but I have no in-game mail or anything.
You'll get them on launch like everyone else

This expansion is really good but holy fuck the amount of quests in the Forelands. I was doing the hunter camp and everytime I completed one half the time 4 new quests would show up! Now I have to do the Gnath camp!

Also it's the worst that 5006 causes the client to close. Even worse since I use the OTP and have to load up the app everytime. :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Didn't expect the Machinist's weapon sounds to make me less interested in the job. We're running around with giant rifles that sound like BB guns.

I wonder if they all sound the same. I expect that they do.

Starting abilities aren't all that interesting either.

docbon

Yeah, questing and FATEs are still garbage tier. Really not looking forward to leveling my other classes to 60 once they run out, either.

Squishy3

Hahahaha, I was in the loading screen for a good 7 minutes, then when I loaded in finally the camera was pushed against the ground and I couldn't do anything. Then the camera returned to its normal position and my character was stuck doing T-Pose for a few seconds before everything returned to normal.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This game... is perfection.
Lpvsnlk.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How are you liking Bard so far? I have yet to read a positive impression from one.
I really enjoy Bard, there's something innately fun about dropping a buff/support spell to help your crew then immediately getting back to DPSing something with the 5 buffs you just activated on yourself and 3 DOTs you just dropped on something.

Ruruja

Ravana is fun. I had this attack on me that seems to always focus on the OT, only I didn't really know that it was an AOE that he does like 10 times, so I was running around him and he was just slaughtering my entire party lol.

Moaradin

They put a lot more effort in the story this time. Each patch in realm reborn was improving upon it, but they really tried here. It's paced pretty well, there's a lot more cool instanced battles. Voice acting in general is a lot better and there's a lot more of it.

I can't see myself having as much fun if I just skipped all the cutscenes and dialogue and rushed to endgame.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They put a lot more effort in the story this time. Each patch in realm reborn was improving upon it, but they really tried here. It's paced pretty well, there's a lot more cool instanced battles. Voice acting in general is a lot better and there's a lot more of it.
Little Alphi grew up that's for sure.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
500k or so left until lv 55 and I'm one quest away from flying in the 3rd area.

Really liking the expansion so far. The story feels much better, I like new BLM skills and new dungeons, plus I loved Ravana's fight.

One thing that I don't like is the size of the new zones. I feel a bit stupid for saying this, since I was one of the people very vocal about small maps in 2.0, but exploring the new areas without being able to fly is a pain. Yes, most of them look great, but having to find slops which are climbable "just because, going around barriers which are a few cm too high to jump over them is a bit annoying.
As for the size itself, a lot of the space feels redundant. Sure, it's better than cramped zones from before, but a big part of it is just sprinkled with a few enemies and doesn't seem all that interesting, views aside.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy because I spent the whole day playing and I'm quite tired, who knows.

Cømet

Banned
What the hell's going on with PS4 preorder codes? I preordered mine a little while ago and I've received nothing. Zavvi don't even have a clue what I'm talking about when I ask.

Would've been nice to get the early access I paid for.

scy

One thing that I don't like is the size of the new zones. I feel a bit stupid for saying this, since I was one of the people very vocal about small maps in 2.0, but exploring the new areas without being able to fly is a pain. Yes, most of them look great, but having to find slops which are climbable "just because, going around barriers which are a few cm too high to jump over them is a bit annoying.

Yeah, it kind of seemed like they designed most the zones with flying in mind and then realized that they wanted to gate flying behind exploration+questing as opposed to gating flying and then designing the zones. That or nobody thought "maybe 10 exploring and 5 questing is too close to completion and we should just do needing 10 total currents and put an EXP bonus behind all 15?" instead. This combined with the kind of awkward quest routing they have designed leads to the whole flying requirement being extra annoying.

Also, I'll see what it's like at 58-60 but 55-58 was in this awkward spot of the MSQ having very few quests in some of those levels (55 is 3 total quests?) so you're stuck either A) Catching up on sidequests or B) Grinding dungeons. The former is unfortunate if you got that high on the back of sidequests to begin with while the latter is a bit awkward if you're a DPS since lol30m+. You just end up with this sudden gap of things to do for EXP due to not meeting level requirements, kind of a glimpse into your alt-class leveling future I guess. That said, this is also around when drops start to outright be better than old i130 gear so it might very well just be done purposefully this way to force some gearing to be done.

Uthred

Are there many MMO's (or really computer rpg's in general) out there that dont have a large amount of fetch quests? Rightly or wrongly it seems to have become the gameplay analogue to the narrative of "Party goes here and talks to/does x" seen in comparable fiction.

AXE

Anyone else getting a launcher error saying Unable to download patch files?

Because I am and I'm goddamn pissed.

I have 8 gigs to go with this crap and the launcher manages to download 10 - 50 Mb before the error. After which the launcher shuts down and I need to log in again.

I've had this problem with previous patches too and I'm just about done with this pos.

DarkKyo

I'm having so much fun with DRK. I hate to say it but I can't help but feel like a nerf is in order for them in the future... they are too good! It seems like they have like 5-6 more enmity gain skills than the other tanks have and their actual methods of pulling mobs and keeping hate are way too effective. Who would play Paladin when Dark Knight is so much more well-rounded as a tank role?

Qvoth

holy crap some of these quest chains last FOREVER
i wanna progress quickly but those damn sidequests just keep popping up
LLShC.gif

Munba

Fetch quests or not, this expansion is a truly gem. In every department. A HUGE improvement compared to 2.0. Wow.

rezn0r

Can you get to The Dravanian Hinterlands from the Coerthas Western Highlands right now? The map shows connecting in the middle of the south, but all I can find are walls of ice and doors blocked behind ice. Am I just being a dipshit? It's down where the yetis are.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Destructoid review in progress had some worrying comments on the performance of the PS4 version. Can anyone share their impressions?

Destructoid review in progress had some worrying comments on the performance of the PS4 version. Can anyone share their impressions?

Working great for me but I'm not very far in, only level 52 so far. Then again I don't see how they can be doing a review at all yet since its a mmo expansion that isn't even out yet and its impossible that they've done anything we haven't.

I'm having so much fun with DRK. I hate to say it but I can't help but feel like a nerf is in order for them in the future... they are too good! It seems like they have like 5-6 more enmity gain skills than the other tanks have and their actual methods of pulling mobs and keeping hate are way too effective. Who would play Paladin when Dark Knight is so much more well-rounded as a tank role?

I'm hearing wildy varying reports on what DRK's viability/utility is. Interesting to watch. Curious to see what develops as a consensus.

On a related note, if one had trouble keeping hate as a Warrior, that person was simply a bad Warrior (or severely out-geared).

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Working great for me but I'm not very far in, only level 52 so far. Then again I don't see how they can be doing a review at all yet since its a mmo expansion that isn't even out yet and its impossible that they've done anything we haven't.
It's a review in progress, they'll be updating as they play.

DarkKyo

I'm hearing wildy varying reports on what DRK's viability/utility is. Interesting to watch. Curious to see what develops as a consensus.

On a related note, if one had trouble keeping hate as a Warrior, that person was simply a bad Warrior (or severely out-geared).

I find Warrior easy when it comes to controlling hate, but not as easy as DRK. Paladin seems to be a little trickier, but I don't have much experience playing one.

Top Bottom