• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

BadRNG

Honestly Faust seems to be shittier for the tanks and healers. The DPS check is realish but not what's caused issues; tank drops and it goes to hell.
It's an interesting fight for us because damage is almost never done this way, it's nearly constant with no breaks or specific moments to plan for. At a certain point it's like a bahamut's claw that never ends until either you or the enemy is dead.

Of course in a month or two people will be joking about how easy it is (Oppressor too). I haven't seen anything of AS3 (and obviously 4) yet but it seems like 1/2 at least are following the FCOB design plan which I am pretty happy about.

Tash

Man, why do I always miss all the fun stuff? Also, I think it's funny seeing someone complain about healers dpsing when we are talking about world first progression. This is a completely different beast than the little conversations about healers dpsing when they are doing nothing anyway in dungeons.

Who or what are you even referring to?
I sure hope not me because if so, you totally misunderstood my posts. Nowhere did I say a healer shouldn't dps. I pointed out that even with slotted crafted acc gear and 500+ dps from the SCH they obviously did not manage to reach the dps checks which, again, my main point, is that paperdoll stats for A3 might just not cut it until they gear up more.

And I found the rage about not being able to beat A3 the second day after it game out kinda funny.

That's all I was trying to say and everyone jumps on weird conclusions about world first intentions and healer dps? Geez guys, chill :p

Teknoman

So with Dota2 getting Type-0 promo items for the PC release I think SE should ramp up and give FFXIV more promo stuff. We only got the crossover events with DQ online and FFXI and the multiple events for every time Lightning Returned to something. Why don't we get Type-0 chocobo barding or a class zero moogle minion or the school uniform (with dyeable capes!).

I want a music pack where the FF type 0 overworld music plays instead of personal chocobo music. Stuff is one of the best large scale chocobo themes i've heard.

Also Gimme Loto or Eight equipment from Dragon Quest plz.

iammeiam

Of course in a month or two people will be joking about how easy it is (Oppressor too). I haven't seen anything of AS3 (and obviously 4) yet but it seems like 1/2 at least are following the FCOB design plan which I am pretty happy about.

Faust is weird to watch because everything that's a problem is so clearly designed to be out geared--two weeks from today the DPS check won't even be worth remarking on. The heal/tank check will still be there, but that'll drop off a few weeks after when everyone has gear. There's also the suspense of will it be a clean run or will you be trying to burn the boss before Living Dead falls off and everything runs free, which is nice.

I do think the Oppressor will still kind of be a nightmare for a while just because of the coordination adds/missiles--the damage down is substantial enough to be a problem for a while I think.

A3 is either a ridiculous DPS check or some super mechanicsy mechanics from the small small amount I've seen. I actually really like(d) T8 so I'm sort of hoping for something similar to that. DPS check and some other things to pay attention to.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I want Type-0 underwear.

image.php

Munba

Seal Rock is pretty fun and df starts fast for now. Best way (mean not boring) to get esoterics (+ exp and wolfmarks).

gryvan

Faust is weird to watch because everything that's a problem is so clearly designed to be out geared--two weeks from today the DPS check won't even be worth remarking on. The heal/tank check will still be there, but that'll drop off a few weeks after when everyone has gear. There's also the suspense of will it be a clean run or will you be trying to burn the boss before Living Dead falls off and everything runs free, which is nice.

My MT dies before my living dead falls off :D

klonere

Banned
Hello friends, I'm trying to make a new character on the same server as my current one (Cerberus). Do I have to wait till the dead of night or the really early morning to get them on the server?

iammeiam

My MT dies before my living dead falls off :D

My favorite we did was the one where Living Dead went out, Faust died, everyone was alive, and mid-celebration we realized nobody bothered to heal the DK to full. Still not sure who gets the credit for the kill there.

Hello friends, I'm trying to make a new character on the same server as my current one (Cerberus). Do I have to wait till the dead of night or the really early morning to get them on the server?

I thought you could create another char regardless if you had one already, but assuming you can't, yeah you basically need to wait off hours. If the server is highly populated that means REALLY offhours, or right after a maintenance(or right before sometimes, since ppl tend to log out an hour in advance and stuff).

iammeiam

I will say having officially screwed around with MCH in something "hard", the class feels workable but is considerably more effort than its alternate. Damage on Faust seemed in-line with unpadded bard numbers (1k+), the bonus utility stuff is nice, mobility is really solid which is nice when I have to run the diagonal of the arena to pick up my add, etc. But Jesus is it demanding--it's not just slapping buttons based on what you can do now and what's off CD, but trying to figure out what you need to be doing five, fifteen, etc seconds in the future. And God help you if you botch the opener because your DPS average for the next couple of minutes is just going to be shit.

It's fun, and I have yet to really feel like being on Bard would actually put us further ahead than we are, but I do think it will ultimately be pretty underrepresented in endgame without some adjustment because you can get basically the same results with less risk on Bard. If you can avoid falling asleep due to boredom.

Sorian

Banned
Who or what are you even referring to?
I sure hope not me because if so, you totally misunderstood my posts. Nowhere did I say a healer shouldn't dps. I pointed out that even with slotted crafted acc gear and 500+ dps from the SCH they obviously did not manage to reach the dps checks which, again, my main point, is that paperdoll stats for A3 might just not cut it until they gear up more.

And I found the rage about not being able to beat A3 the second day after it game out kinda funny.

That's all I was trying to say and everyone jumps on weird conclusions about world first intentions and healer dps? Geez guys, chill :p

I was actually talking about SliceSabre iirc.

Oppressor giving me the biggest headache I've had in a while.

I had a headache too, I think mine was unrelated though, I enjoy the fight (because I don't have to heal it lol)

Valor

I will say having officially screwed around with MCH in something "hard", the class feels workable but is considerably more effort than its alternate. Damage on Faust seemed in-line with unpadded bard numbers (1k+), the bonus utility stuff is nice, mobility is really solid which is nice when I have to run the diagonal of the arena to pick up my add, etc. But Jesus is it demanding--it's not just slapping buttons based on what you can do now and what's off CD, but trying to figure out what you need to be doing five, fifteen, etc seconds in the future. And God help you if you botch the opener because your DPS average for the next couple of minutes is just going to be shit.

It's fun, and I have yet to really feel like being on Bard would actually put us further ahead than we are, but I do think it will ultimately be pretty underrepresented in endgame without some adjustment because you can get basically the same results with less risk on Bard. If you can avoid falling asleep due to boredom.

I definitely agree with all of this. The damage for Machinist is fine, but it's way more work and effort to still bring up the rear of DPS tables. That's what was mentioned several pages back. You do need to plan your cds in advance and know when to pop what, when to switch turrets (if needed) when to Hypercharge, and so on. It's a lot of work and you can parse on par with Bards which requires a lot less effort.

Even if MCH did Melee numbers, the effort put into the class is still way more than any other class I've played. It's fun, yeah, but something about it is off. When I was thinking about running BRD/MCH when we started on Savage, I elected Bard since I figured I could play it better more consistently than MCH right now. It would be nice to see a few quality of life tweaks for Machinist, but I'll be damned if I know what any of them would be. Maybe make Wildfire a bit more lenient or a bit weaker but up more often? I'm not too sure.

Stuart444

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/071/1071179/#e

Saw this on the official SAO Video games FB page ^

Interview with both Yoshida, producer of FFXIV and Futami, producer of SAO games.

Small snippit:

――Could you tell us a bit about your experience with MMORPGs?

Yoshida:Kawahara Reki(※6), the author of SAO, has been an avid MMORPG fan since the days of Ultima Online(※7). I’m actually of that same generation in terms of gaming. Ultima Online is known as the world’s first MMORPG, so obviously it influenced me a great deal. In terms of an MORPG(※8), Diablo(※9) comes to mind. Diablo showed me how much fun it could be to connect over a network and multiplay with someone far away. In Ultima Online, that experience became something that was shared with thousands of people worldwide. It was really revelatory. From there, my experience with MMORPGs just grew.

>Futami:I’m only a casual gamer when it comes to MMORPGs. The first one I played was Ragnarok Online(※10). Afterwards I played Nobunaga’s Ambition Online(※11). Then comes a long blank period, but now I’m getting into FFXIV.

Yoshida:I appreciate that. (Laughter)

Futami:I’ve played Diablo as well, but I generally have preferred my online games to be of the FPS or TPS variety, rather than MMORPGs. (Laughter) It’s always a great deal of fun to communicate over the network. Even when I wasn’t playing an MMORPG, there would be elements of network play in any game that I played.

dcye

ffxiv reddit is the worst I've ever regularly visited. Full of fucking idiots.

Haven't played the game in a week due to holiday. 50/50 on going back. Interesting times ahead.

Sorian

Banned
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/071/1071179/#e

Saw this on the official SAO Video games FB page ^

Interview with both Yoshida, producer of FFXIV and Futami, producer of SAO games.

Small snippit:

I feel like that small snippit reinforces my point that yoship is out of touch with fun in MMOs.

ffxiv reddit is the worst I've ever regularly visited. Full of fucking idiots.

Haven't played the game in a week due to holiday. 50/50 on going back. Interesting times ahead.

The only meaningful thing the ffxiv reddit has shown me in years is the 8 bit themes and that guy that has been doing 8 bit battle guides for different Ravana attacks.

Stuart444

――Have you noticed any differences between domestic and foreign MMORPG players?

Yoshida:In terms of how the hardcore gamers approach things and react to game design, I don’t think that there’s any difference at all. Everybody around the world has the same reaction to a stingy drop rate(※16), right? (Laughter) I do get the impression that the skill level of the average gamer(※17) is a bit higher in Japan, but that’s about it. One thing that does stand out to me is how gamers treat the concept of being an individual within these game communities. In Japan, players strongly adhere to the communities that they are a part of. Even if they aren’t a member of a particular community, they tend to strive to blend in with regards to the tone and atmosphere of the setting that they’re in. You could view it as being harmonious, but you could also view it as being passive as well. On the other hand, foreign gamers are much more likely to be highly individualistic. You gather a group of these unique individuals together to form a party and go on adventures. Instead of going with the flow, everybody seems to discuss their objectives and opinions more freely.

Posting another little snippet that some may find interesting

Sorian

Banned
Posting another little snippet that some may find interesting

Maybe not so out of touch, he is right in thinking that the average American (as an example) player is a moron who will tap the same skill over and over again and complain that something is dying too slow.

iammeiam

Congrats Rai and your classist anti-MCH static.

You do need to plan your cds in advance and know when to pop what, when to switch turrets (if needed) when to Hypercharge, and so on. It's a lot of work and you can parse on par with Bards which requires a lot less effort.

This is an "I'm weird" thing, but a lot of this is why Bard stopped working for me. 2.x bard didn't require a lot of planning, but you were essentially always doing something. Introducing cast bars without anything requiring planning makes 3.x bard a matter of looking at the CDs you're going to hit next and waiting to hit them, but not having anything to think about in the interim. This is my "It's boring" complaint; MCH I can figure out when my ammo is coming back and how that lines up with Hot Shot/Lead Shot, whether I should use XYZ now or hold for Wildfire, is it time to Rend Mind the Tankbuster, etc. I may not be pushing buttons, but I'm still doing something. Bard not having that keeps the DPS floor higher, but makes me feel like a spend a ton of time twiddling my thumbs.

Even if MCH did Melee numbers, the effort put into the class is still way more than any other class I've played. It's fun, yeah, but something about it is off. When I was thinking about running BRD/MCH when we started on Savage, I elected Bard since I figured I could play it better more consistently than MCH right now. It would be nice to see a few quality of life tweaks for Machinist, but I'll be damned if I know what any of them would be. Maybe make Wildfire a bit more lenient or a bit weaker but up more often? I'm not too sure.

I'm just straight selfish and went for what I wanted to play; consistency can only come with practice or something and since we're all dying to mechanics anyway I get a bunch of time in before DPS optimization is a huge issue. Up until I have the Eso gun I can always run back to Bard if I have to/it becomes an actual problem but I just have 0 interest in raiding on 3.x Bard and as far as I can tell I shouldn't have to. It doesn't help that MCH has a total shit reputation--it was suggested at one point before we went in that BRD might be necessary to meet the Faust DPS check, because people do not actually know a goddamned thing about MCH, apparently ("you should do 700-800 right?")

Mechanically, MCH works, which is huge. I'd still like shorter CDs on Reload and Quick Reload, and I'd like a scaling Detonate skill that lets me blow up Wildfire early in exchange for increased % damage, largely because if adds pop with 7 seconds left on WF that's a ton of wasted potential. My fault because it meant I WF'd late, but letting me detonate for a slight percent boost would make things more forgiving. WF does need a basic damage adjustment--it either needs to ignore enemy DEF (since right now it takes your initial damage, already reduced by enemy defense, calculates 25%, then lowers that by enemy defense) or, if we're treating it as a seperate attack, should be Piercing damage and not physical because it's kind of bullshit my biggest and trickiest burst of damage doesn't get a Disembowel buff. Honestly I think a bigger boost would be buffing our utility. Rend Mind and Dismantle should be 10% and a single skill that applies both effects. Hypercharge getting buffed to 10% vulnerability wouldn't be a terrible idea. Stuff like that--MCH DPS is chained to Bard so I don't realistically see them moving the needle there, but giving us better utility so people pay more attention to the job in general would be huge (we have solid utility now, it's just not attention getting. If we can't get rewarded for extra effort with bigger DPS, at least give us flashier support skills. Nobody actually know what Dismantle does because it's only 5%. )

Jayhawk

If anybody on Ultros with crafting and/or gathering classes at 60 aren't going to be capping and using their red scrips for the week, let us talk tonight and work out some fair deals. For gatherers, you use your red scrips on favors and I will buy all the materials you get from the favors for gil or crafted items you need. For crafters, I can provide you all the materials you need to make the red scrip turn-in items and then work out a deal (gil, crafted items) on using those red scrips for materials I want.

Sorian

Banned
If anybody on Ultros with crafting and/or gathering classes at 60 aren't going to be capping and using their red scrips for the week, let us talk tonight and work out some fair deals. For gatherers, you use your red scrips on favors and I will buy all the materials you get from the favors for gil or crafted items you need. For crafters, I can provide you all the materials you need to make the red scrip turn-in items and then work out a deal (gil, crafted items) on using those red scrips for materials I want.

Too bad I'm a scrub and can't actually mine things at level 60.

aceface

Is this a pyramid scheme? Do I get bonuses for each crafter or gatherer I sign up to Jayhawk enterprises?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Crafting sounds like a fucking mess this patch.

I'd do that, though I'm not capped yet, I have like 180 scrips or whatever from stuff I had, I was waiting for a cheaper turn in, but if you want the mats quick I can just pick whatever and craft a bunch.

Valor

Bard not having that keeps the DPS floor higher, but makes me feel like a spend a ton of time twiddling my thumbs.
I look at it more than with the cast times I have a second to breathe and check my dots, check the situation, and plan my next few moves accordingly. It's more short sighted than Machinist is because there's nothing like Wildfire's countdown looming over my head, but I still take the slower Bard time to plan out what my possible options will be with my next few gcds. In the end it's completely a preference thing and whatever works for each person works. I like Machinist as well, but I feel like I spend too much time flailing around hitting buttons.
It doesn't help that MCH has a total shit reputation--it was suggested at one point before we went in that BRD might be necessary to meet the Faust DPS check, because people do not actually know a goddamned thing about MCH, apparently ("you should do 700-800 right?")
We're still only a month in and people aren't gonna know much about classes they haven't played at all yet. I remember in 2.0 I hadn't leveled Dragoon yet and had Eve rattling off his nonsense bullshit Dragoon rotation I never paid attention to. He's way easier to tune out when he rambles on about Dragoon garbage. When I started playing Dragoon myself, I understood more of what was being talked about and really could get a better grasp on what the class was capable of. Same with Warrior for me. Unless people take the time to play Machinist and see what it feels like they're just gonna go by what Reddit says.

Honestly I think a bigger boost would be buffing our utility. Rend Mind and Dismantle should be 10% and a single skill that applies both effects. ... If we can't get rewarded for extra effort with bigger DPS, at least give us flashier support skills. Nobody actually know what Dismantle does because it's only 5%. )
I can't disagree with this and sometimes I forget I even have Dismantle/Rend Mind because of how inconsequential they feel. It's like having that non-MNK Mantra. Here's a shitty 5%. At least 10% sounds like it does something. 5% is like "Well it's literally barely better than nothing!"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not really, it's set up for the long haul so that people can't conquer the market within hours of the new stuff being introduced. As someone on the outside of the crafting world looking in this is my response:

I think the biggest thing is they basically laughed in the face of people stacking crafted gear to push raid progression.

Top Bottom