• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Omni

I beat the base game's story the other day and got i90 gear from the final Bard quest. I know you can buy i120 gear from one of the stores in Mor Dhona, so should I be doing that before I get to Heavensward, or is my current gear good enough?

I'm not quite sure how it works or what the requirements are >.<

Sorian

Banned
He has appeared!

The beauty about BLM right now is that there are many different variations of an opener, so none of them are inherently "wrong" [unless you're really doing things in a confusing order]. For me, my opener looks like:

Quelling Strikes > Sharpcast > Ley Lines > Fire III > Enochian > Fire I > INT Potion > Raging Strikes > Fire IV x 3 > Firestarter Proc > Convert > Fire IV x3 > Blizzard III > Thunder I > Blizzard IV > Fire III

[This is assuming you have a WHM/SCH or WHM/AST in your group for the extra MP, but I'm guessing that isn't an issue.]

Sometimes it looks like I won't have enough time to get the Blizzard IV off [if the MP tick doesn't come right away], so I'll Swiftcast it. It really depends on how much Spell Speed or have, as well as other factors [such as, if you have Fey Glow/Arrow Card/etc.].

The bolded is the absolute worst feeling in the world. Enochian is at 4, then 3, then 2 and I know I've failed, stupid MP tick. (Obviously if swift is down for whatever reason).

Edit: But yes, it looks like if I want to potion correctly, I need to put ley earlier in my rotation, confirmed by you again so that's good.

chrono01

The bolded is the absolute worst feeling in the world. Enochian is at 4, then 3, then 2 and I know I've failed, stupid MP tick. (Obviously if swift is down for whatever reason).
It is, and can be incredibly stressful, especially if you finally get that tick and are mid-cast Blizzard IV when the boss puts an AOE under you and you have to move. :(

Sorian

Banned
It is, and can be incredibly stressful, especially if you finally get that tick and are mid-cast Blizzard IV when the boss puts an AOE under you and you have to move. :(

The ultimate risk/reward gameplay.
Take the hit and laugh at the healer

Don't always take the hit, each situation is different

chrono01

The ultimate risk/reward gameplay.
Take the hit and laugh at the healer

Don't always take the hit, each situation is different
Haha, yeah. It's tempting to take the hit sometimes unless, of course, that hit will one-hit kill you. O_O

Soma

i dunno where the hell he found this laying around in an hour but sure i'll take it lol

CKtzBHMVAAA3LDo.jpg:orig

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Thinking about it, a 24-man savage could be fun. You would have static alliances.

Gameplay-wise, sure, but it's hard enough finding 8 people dedicated enough to put some effort into raid content. Needing 24 would be a nightmare.

Tabris

No, it wouldn't. We didn't even get 8 people together in time. There's a reason new MMOs don't do 20/40 man content anymore.

Gameplay-wise, sure, but it's hard enough finding 8 people dedicated enough to put some effort into raid content. Needing 24 would be a nightmare.

Nah, the hard part is getting a static together. Once you got one, you just find 2 other statics with your same schedule - that part is easy.

Armaros

Edit: But yes, it looks like if I want to potion correctly, I need to put ley earlier in my rotation, confirmed by you again so that's good.

It's finnnnnneee.

BLMs will just get Neverreap last boss mechanics the entire expansion.

Learn to embrace the tornados!

Blms will be forced to use leylines to attract AoEs away from the raid :D

chrono01

But I love that life
Me too, wouldn't change a thing. Well, I would make a few alterations to the way the Astral Fire/Umbral Ice stacks work [such as maybe increasing their duration by 1-2 seconds], but other than that, BLM all the way.

Plus I'm too lazy to level anything else.

Yep, that MP tick is the worst thing ever and I eyeroll every time it happens.

Also BLM is mostly awful in Seize. I've given up playing it there. If you can find a cliff to nuke from, it works great, but if you're anywhere on the ground and your team sucks (90% of Flames teams) you'll land maybe one or two spells and be forced to use Scathe for eternity.

Soma

Been trying out PvP this evening.

yup

no idea what i'm doing :)

but at least my alliances have been winning so far haha

Been trying out PvP this evening.

yup

no idea what i'm doing :)

but at least my alliances have been winning so far haha

stay with your group

cap points, you have to physically click on the node.

dont try to solo or charge large groups. play defensively. STAY WITH YOUR TEAM DONT WANDER OFF

defend captured nodes. focus healers when they get close:

healers > ranged > melee > tanks is the kill order of the day

make sure your using PvP skills and upgrading them. you can reset them any time for another class, but a lot of them are very useful in select situations.

bout it really. the new pvp mode is fun, but it really isn't all that hard. its just a more dynamic Secure with rotating nodes to cap. god help you if the opposing team that started in the caves gets blessed by RNGesus with 3 nodes off the bat.

So I need some direction/help!

This past week I leveled all DoH classes to 15 and then tonight I got Botanist to 50. I don't understand at all what I should be doing now in Botanist. I've read the reddit guide linked in the OP, but it says it is for 2.5. Has anything changed? The game isn't giving me any direction. I've looked at the Eorzea time website but I don't seem to have the gear in order to find these nodes. So I need to buy or craft? Or what?

Basically everything is completely confusing for me. Please help!

So I need some direction/help!

This past week I leveled all DoH classes to 15 and then tonight I got Botanist to 50. I don't understand at all what I should be doing now in Botanist. I've read the reddit guide linked in the OP, but it says it is for 2.5. Has anything changed? The game isn't giving me any direction. I've looked at the Eorzea time website but I don't seem to have the gear in order to find these nodes. So I need to buy or craft? Or what?

Basically everything is completely confusing for me. Please help!

if you've finished all the job quests it should give you one that sends you out to ishgard at the foundation. your new nodes will also be in coerthas western highlands near falcons nest. the ishgard leves will put you out there as well.

basically just try to burn leves/grind lvls till you can do the collectibles/scripts. they should give you exp scrolls worth 300k bonus exp, but they dont last too long so plan accordingly before you pop one. i think the max time was like 20-30mins? 50-60 will be really quick guranteed. i only started lvling mine to 60 yesterday and im already lvl 57 after 2 days of leves and grinding.

Bittercup

I beat the base game's story the other day and got i90 gear from the final Bard quest. I know you can buy i120 gear from one of the stores in Mor Dhona, so should I be doing that before I get to Heavensward, or is my current gear good enough?

Those quests used to only give i50/55 armor. They added i90 to them to make the transition towards Heavensward less steep.
Some of the dungeons required for the main story have an item level requirement though (i90 for the highest dungeon). If you are below just buy some gear in Mor Dhona or from crafters.

Alrus

Don't put too much effort into getting lvl 50 gear as the HW quests will quickly shower you with better gear. I would just check if I can manage the quests with my current gear and if it doesn't work out then I'd try to get some better lvl 50 ones.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
~10 Alex normal runs in which I wasn't able to get the item I want, still only 1/4 for this week. Time to take a break and level my Miner/Summoner.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wanderer's Minuet screws with your brain. You disable it for one battle and your mind still keeps calculating the delay for the cast time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sigh, I wanted to get all the relic dungeon items by myself in an undersized party, but even doing AV is hard as a ilv 186 BLM. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but with the first boss hitting me for 2,5k, I don't see myself clearing any of those by myself. If only I could take my chocobo with me...

Squishy3

Use what poetics you earn from doing stuff to buy gear on the way to Heavensward, you'll end up replacing the gear in heavensward anyway but it gives you an edge going in.

Zomba13

Sigh, I wanted to get all the relic dungeon items by myself in an undersized party, but even doing AV is hard as a ilv 186 BLM. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but with the first boss hitting me for 2,5k, I don't see myself clearing any of those by myself. If only I could take my chocobo with me...

I've been trying to do them solo as a lvl60 Tank. A few are easy to solo but some are impossible, like Lost city of Amdapor where the first boss eats a party member, if you do that solo he eats you and you're done.

I just need someone to duo with, they go fast even with two people

Finally got level 50. I guess there is still some questing to do before HW content (I just only did the lvl 49 quest with
The imperial dude with dual shields

Is it worth doing the beast tribe dailys/Grand Company rank stuff or does HW make them obsolete?

Wilsongt

Finally got level 50. I guess there is still some questing to do before HW content (I just only did the lvl 49 quest with
The imperial dude with dual shields

Is it worth doing the beast tribe dailys/Grand Company rank stuff or does HW make them obsolete?

Ixali are good for craft leveling. Doing the other beast tribes are good for mounts and minions.

Except the Sylphs. Fuck the Sylphs.

iammeiam

From the ragequit thread in general gaming. Is that what parsers and challenging content actually do to people :/

Kinda curious if there are any Titan EX rage moments online...

I have seen relatively epic rage from GAF people for non-DPS reasons on content that was no longer relatively challenging (I think it made the rage worse, actually.)

It's mostly what people on the internet do to each other in any kind of frustrating situation ever.

Alrus

This one thinks you should reconsider.

EDIT: I have to ask, has anyone experienced anything like this in PUG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWh-2db3ml0

From the ragequit thread in general gaming. Is that what parsers and challenging content actually do to people :/

Kinda curious if there are any Titan EX rage moments online...

Rage happened on every mmo I played, mostly during PvP stuff in previous ones though. I never played WoW so I wasn't really exposed with that kind of PvE content though.

But honestly this is the kind of shit that would make me quit. I really wouldn't enjoy being yelled at that way.

Edit: Also today I discovered that Healer LB3 has a maximum range, I always thought it just hit the entire party regardless of distance.

Top Bottom