• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Lanrutcon

It was my first extreme. Really, that was the tamest?!

And I also wasn't aware of a kill order (seeing as you aren't supposed to attack any Moogles below 10%), only that BLM and WHM should be attacked last so they always have enough health to survive getting focused to stop a spell.

Edit: Sorry, just saw Frumix's post.

Well, disclaimer: my opinion.

Give Titan or Leviathan a go. There's a distinct increase in pace. Then there's Garuda and Ramuh which are absolute chaos unless you read up on those. Ifrit is...meh, but still harder than the moogles. I haven't done Shiva Ex yet or the new xpac extremes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It was my first extreme. Really, that was the tamest?!

And I also wasn't aware of a kill order (seeing as you aren't supposed to attack any Moogles below 10%), only that BLM and WHM should be attacked last so they always have enough health to survive getting focused to stop a spell.

Edit: Sorry, just saw Frumix's post.
Don't worry about it man. Mog Ex is just bullshit. If there is no coordination your team will lose. Most people would rather do Titan Ex than Mog Ex.

JMPerona

So. I played a few hours today for the first time. In 3-4 hours I got lvl 7. The beginning is a little slow, but now that I get quest that are all about killing monsters its getting interesting. One question: What should I do? Concentrate me in the story and class quest or do every quest on sight? I dont have so much time and I would like to get to Heavensward expansion as soon as possible (but enjoying the experience).

Lanrutcon

So. I played a few hours today for the first time. In 3-4 hours I got lvl 7. The beginning is a little slow, but now that I get quest that are all about killing monsters its getting interesting. One question: What should I do? Concentrate me in the story and class quest or do every quest on sight? I dont have so much time and I would like to get to Heavensward expansion as soon as possible (but enjoying the experience).

I would say don't worry about the expansion. Take your time, enjoy the content. If you want to level at a decent pace:

1. Do your daily roulettes as you unlock them.
2. Keep up to date with your class quests.
3. Use the main story quests to guide you. Keep doing em, and when you hit a wall consider getting some new gear/hitting some dungeons/doing extra quests for xp.
4. You'll outlevel areas before you've done all the quests in them. Only consider doing every quest in sight as a completionist thing.
4. Focus on one class, but bear in mind that you'll be branching out at level 30 (you'll see why).

If you want to go 'fuck that' and level as fast as you can:

1. Keep your main quest/Class quests up to date
2. Fate leveling party if you're DPS, Dungeon spam if you're tank/healer.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Tried Thornmarch Extreme last night without really knowing just how serious it was. That was....stressful. People vote abandoned :( I thought I did okay...did mess up interrupting a meteor and die once though. Apparently our tank didn't have enough health? I might need to ask you guys for help in that later. I'm Bayard Crescent in the game, by the way. First I need to get better gear though. I've been buying that level 120 gear with poetic tomestones - that's a good idea, right? (For someone working their way through the patch story quests).

I think I need to see video of someones hands while playing the game with a keyboard. I got the PC version so I can play at different times and I'm having real trouble transitioning to using the keyboard well.
Titan extreme via DF will make you hate the game forever.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Does DRK still outparse PLD as an OT? I saw elsewhere people claiming PLD outstrips them after the DA glitch got fixed, but I saw earlier here someone claiming DRK would match WAR if not for TP issues, and fuck if I know a trustworthy tank version of Dervy.

Edit: Also how do I maximise fracture uptime on both these classes????

JMPerona

I would say don't worry about the expansion. Take your time, enjoy the content. If you want to level at a decent pace:

1. Do your daily roulettes as you unlock them.
2. Keep up to date with your class quests.
3. Use the main story quests to guide you. Keep doing em, and when you hit a wall consider getting some new gear/hitting some dungeons/doing extra quests for xp.
4. You'll outlevel areas before you've done all the quests in them. Only consider doing every quest in sight as a completionist thing.
4. Focus on one class, but bear in mind that you'll be branching out at level 30 (you'll see why).

If you want to go 'fuck that' and level as fast as you can:

1. Keep your main quest/Class quests up to date
2. Fate leveling party if you're DPS, Dungeon spam if you're tank/healer.

I will keep concentrating in doing my class/story quest and a considerable amount of side quest where I can get a lot of experience. I wont do the quest that only give me little xp.

Thanks for the tips!

lewisgone

Wow, lots of differences in opinion! I'll just have to make my own mind up once I get to other extreme primals, I guess.

Bearing in mind it sounds like he did it in a PUG, at which point almost every Ex turns to shit depending on luck.

I did, yes. I wasn't the only person new to the primal either, at least two other people were, including one of the tanks. So it was pretty messy.

I'd have asked for help from GAF but didn't want to mess up badly and embarrass myself, haha. Once I get better gear and am used to the keyboard I'll feel more confident in my abilities and ask for help then.

I finished every single EX primal until HW in duty finder except Odin where the FC did it for the lulz of my title. I'm a tank though so I would have watched the video like 5x before I went in so I don't fuck up. I actually one shot Garuda and Titan. I think people overexaggerate the difficulty of the fight, but underexaggerate how unprepared some people go into the fights. Yes, I do expect you to watch videos and guides of it before if you want to do it in a pug. Although I think the early ones up to Ramuh can carry a bad player pretty easily.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I want to slap every single person who queues into a duty and the first thing happens is they say "brb" in the chat.

iammeiam

Do you have any idea how often my DPS queue has popped right as I decide to get up and go do something? BRB from instaqueue tanks/healers is considerably stranger.

I regret to inform you that I am doing it wrong.

You will have a chance to fix this next week.

(Seriously, look at that. It's practically incentive to wipe.)

I finished every single EX primal until HW in duty finder except Odin where the FC did it for the lulz of my title. I'm a tank though so I would have watched the video like 5x before I went in so I don't fuck up. I actually one shot Garuda and Titan. I think people overexaggerate the difficulty of the fight, but underexaggerate how unprepared some people go into the fights. Yes, I do expect you to watch videos and guides of it before if you want to do it in a pug. Although I think the early ones up to Ramuh can carry a bad player pretty easily.

DF EX Primals are 100% a function of who you get matched with; pony farming made everything (but Mog, because fuck Mog) pretty easily DFable for a while, but people with experience are pretty much over them now. I got most of my pre-Ramuh clears in DF, and while I imagine time has eased some of them a lot (failing the Levi EX DPS check used to be a thing), others like Mog and Titan probably still suck to DF. Especially post-HW since there's no reason to go back.

Back to nitpicking:

As a big fan of Vanilla WoW I have always been in the camp of not making MMOs too easy/comfortable but there are a few things that could be streamlined in XIV. For example it makes no sense whenever I need to turn a quest item in I need to search it from my bags, just apply it automatically. If you have a HQ version just add a button for the option.

Secondly why can't I ride my new magitec mount whenever I have the chocobo company in my party? It's not like having him dissapear during riding is too much to take.

Also at least give me an option checkbox for automatic dismount whenever an action requires it. Why does talking to people automatically dismount me but doing pretty much anything else requires doing it manually?

Teiran

Back to nitpicking:

As a big fan of Vanilla WoW I have always been in the camp of not making MMOs too easy/comfortable but there are a few things that could be streamlined in XIV. For example it makes no sense whenever I need to turn a quest item in I need to search it from my bags, just apply it automatically. If you have a HQ version just add a button for the option.
You don't have to search for it. Right-click on the blank slot in the turn-in window.

Back to nitpicking:

Secondly why can't I ride my new magitec mount whenever I have the chocobo company in my party? It's not like having him dissapear during riding is too much to take.

Also at least give me an option checkbox for automatic dismount whenever an action requires it. Why does talking to people automatically dismount me but doing pretty much anything else requires doing it manually?

There are about 900 things I could add to this list, but it's all futile. It's just how it is. I actually got the 7 days free come back to WoW thing the other day and jumped on since I quit after BRM. I don't plan on going back to WoW, but loading it up there's this weird sense of freedom again. In 14 I always feel so restricted. If I'm in an instance, I'm in a bubble, if I'm in pvp, I'm in a bubble, if I'm in duty finder I can't do this, or that. You can't even summon a pet in an instance. -_-

You don't have to search for it. Right-click on the blank slot in the turn-in window.

Also, yes, if you're not doing it like this, you're doing it wrong.

Audioboxer

I did a random Praetorium a few weeks ago or something to help someone with the story and a Gaius card randomly dropped at the end for me. I guess once a year or so, good deeds really are rewarded in FFXIV.

I would have preferred dungeon grinding but I'm too low a level. Couldn't stop grinding out the card games till I got one though, the relief of winning the RNG is exciting lol.

iori9999

Banned
So my static is ready for Opressor Savage tomorrow night.. We had some good attempts late last night.. If I stop fucking up, I know the healing is there.. SCH does 1300 HPS and I almost got up to 2700 myself.. He dpses ofc, they tell me to just heal 100%. It's not the worst either..

Jayhawk

Way too much shit to do in the game now. I can't keep up with the amount of free time I have after work.

-Raiding progression
-Capping esoterics
-Getting all Alexander normal loot
-Capping red scrips
-Doing gathering favors
-Completing weekly challenge log for PvP
-Running an enterprise

I did not have time to FATE grind on other jobs to level them up to 60.

A common misconception people seem to have is that the enterprise is for me to make gil. I am not in the business of making gil. I am in the business of spending gil. The partners in the enterprise are the ones making gil, and they are helping me spend less gil. There is a lot of gil to be made by gatherers this week. Millions in a relatively short amount of time, compared to how much gil gatherers would be able to make before in a similar time frame.

Two-star crafting is also as stressful and nerve-racking as raid progression. It took me forty minutes to make eight two-star items last night without spreadsheets and calculators open on another window. When the materials for the final item cost at least 10M in total, NQ'ing is a failure. Good thing I didn't NQ any of the final products. I think I got my rotations down, but it will be slightly different per crafting class because of cross-class action slots.

DMTripper

Hey all,

I've been playing as a dragoon and now level 50. I'm enjoying the game but I would like to start making some nice gil.

I've been buying and selling on the market boards but not been making much.

I know you can craft, but really unsure what to do. Are there any guides? Dies anybody have any advice? I'm a total mmo n00b unfortunately :-(

Loving the game tho!

Edit. I also have a good friend playing so can we work together to save time? Although I can't totally rely on him!

Jayhawk

I wonder if world-first groups will have some members spend their esoterics on chest or legs this week to get world-first A3S, but they risk missing out on first A4S clear because they didn't wait to get the weapon.

iammeiam

I got the mch strats when I watched you live

Man, not even ZR thought GAF knew about the stream. I guess that means you heard me go off on why I'd rather GAF not find out, too. RIP.

I wonder if world-first groups will have some members spend their esoterics on chest or legs this week to get world-first A3S, but they risk missing out on first A4S clear because they didn't wait to get the weapon.

The group that was streaming their A3S attempts and had taken it to 8% had at least one person contemplating non-weapon Eso purchases, but they also thought the Normal drops and A1S/A2S drops from reset tomorrow would be a huge help.

A3S looks amazing though.

Man, not even ZR thought GAF knew about the stream. I guess that means you heard me go off on why I'd rather GAF not find out, too. RIP.

The group that was streaming their A3S attempts and had taken it to 8% had at least one person contemplating non-weapon Eso purchases, but they also thought the Normal drops and A1S/A2S drops from reset tomorrow would be a huge help.

nah I didnt have sound so idk but I can guess why lol. stream chat did have some questions about corn pizza that were never answered

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The guy streaming put Ultros in their stream title so that's how it was found.

Sorian

Banned
Did Angary put GAF on blast and I missed it?

There is a lot of gil to be made by gatherers this week. Millions in a relatively short amount of time, compared to how much gil gatherers would be able to make before in a similar time frame.

Can confirm btw if you find the right people willing to spend money. My nest egg grew quite a bit.

iammeiam

Did Angary put GAF on blast and I missed it?

GAF is good at public criticism and generally shit at constructive; it was suggested that I at some point inform GAF there was a stream and I more or less lolno'd it because the second guessing in FC chat wouldn't do me much good (I promise, when I fuck up I know immediately). It's not a new concept or anything, I'm pretty sure it's been a topic of discussion here before, just literally had no idea anyone was watching.

Still stand by it though, so eh.

GAF is good at public criticism and generally shit at constructive; it was suggested that I at some point inform GAF there was a stream and I more or less lolno'd it because the second guessing in FC chat wouldn't do me much good (I promise, when I fuck up I know immediately). It's not a new concept or anything, I'm pretty sure it's been a topic of discussion here before, just literally had no idea anyone was watching.

Git gud.

Sorian

Banned

If someone has a name in GAF that is recognizable then they are probably an asshole so you're not wrong.

Jayhawk

I was disappointed by the amount of lalafells in Angary's group stream last night.

Some people on the stream chat were also not fans of corn pizza.

Top Bottom