• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

ship it

aether data center is completely broke while the others are fine. GG early access.

anyone want to play on exodus? seems stable.

nothing like adding a new race, putting character restrictions everywhere then breaking the logins. I was much more patient with MMO nonsense when I was younger.

edit: I see they updated the error page. so at least they know.

The expansion is all about the story, as is the rest of the game (it is a numbered Final Fantasy game for a reason). If you don't want to experience the story, then unfortunately this isn't the game for you.

In case you didn't know, it's not like the 2.x story is acting like a gate to keep you from accessing the expansion - the story is a continuous one. Even once you make it into Ishgard, that doesn't mean you have access to flying mounts, new fields with enemies, or new dungeons or raids. You have to keep following the story to slowly unlock these things in 3.0.

There are plenty of reasons to like FFXIV beyond its story. It's a big draw, certainly, but it's not the only reason to be excited for an expansion.

I'm also not complaining. I know what I got into and I'm enjoying going back through the story stuff after the initial shock of realizing how much I had to do. I just don't think calling people who are returning to an MMO for an expansion "bandwagoners" is cool or particularly insightful.

All MMOs and their expansions are about continuing the story, it's just that FFXIV is more adamant about it than nearly every other game. I don't think that's a knock against the game, but I totally understand why some people might feel that way.

There are plenty of reasons to like FFXIV beyond its story. It's a big draw, certainly, but it's not the only reason to be excited for an expansion.

I'm also not complaining. I know what I got into and I'm enjoying going back through the story stuff after the initial shock of realizing how much I had to do. I just don't think calling people who are returning to an MMO for an expansion "bandwagoners" is cool or particularly insightful.

All MMOs and their expansions are about continuing the story, it's just that FFXIV is more adamant about it than nearly every other game. I don't think that's a knock against the game, but I totally understand why some people might feel that way.

I don't know if I would go as far as calling it a knock against the game since how much people want out of the story is all personal preference but I would say that forcing people to do old missions in order to do new missions is kind of inconsistent with the fact that they let you choose whether or not you want to skip every single story sequence in the game.

I don't think there really is any benefit to forcing people to do those missions in an age where you can get caught up on the story line far faster via a site like you tube so you don't have to go through the tedium of waiting in queues for forced story instances or just the uninteresting battle content and running around also tied to those old story missions.

fedexpeon

Banned
I honestly dont understand the appeal of FFXIV if you ignore the story, there are better looking MMO's, MMO's with more content, MMO's with better end game, better mechanics, better etc. FFXIV's selling point seems to be the story and setting, ignoring them just seems odd. Also, as you said, they've pretty clearly put the story front and center, it shouldnt be a surprise to anyone.

The problem is after Heavensward.
What happens with the next expansion?
Are they going to keep locking people out because "duh, story is great...but you can skip the boring cutsene" argument? They will never get new players at that rate since people will have to play useless contents to get to relevant part.
No one cares about old gear, old dungeons, old sub-plot, old arching storyline when a new expansion is representing a different storyline with each new one.
They could have solved the problem by updating everything into your journal, and call it a day.
So easy, and less painful.

True, but it doesn't really matter what excites the players, what matters is the game design, and in this case the story is designed to be the most important thing in the game, like all numbered Final Fantasies. If you are playing Final Fantasy XII (which plays a whole lot like an MMO), you can't just access random dungeons, you have to play through the story. This game is no different.

I would not say all MMOs and their expansions are about continuing the story, aside from FFXI and FFXIV from what I can tell the stories are a side thing they added to give an excuse to guide the players through the content. The games are not primarily about telling their story, while FFXIV is.

No one cares about old gear, old dungeons, old sub-plot, old arching storyline when a new expansion is representing a different storyline with each new one.
The storyline is a continuation of the 2.x storyline, it is not a different storyline. Why would you read the first couple chapters of a book, and then skip to halfway just because something exciting is going to happen then?

fedexpeon

Banned
True, but it doesn't really matter what excites the players, what matters is the game design, and in this case the story is designed to be the most important thing in the game, like all numbered Final Fantasies. If you are playing Final Fantasy XII (which plays a whole lot like an MMO), you can't just access random dungeons, you have to play through the story. This game is no different.

I would not say all MMOs and their expansions are about continuing the story, aside from FFXI and FFXIV from what I can tell the stories are a side thing they added to give an excuse to guide the players through the content. The games are not primarily about telling their story, while FFXIV is.

WoW the largest MMO is all about storytelling. It has been a consistent theme since 1.0.
And I think what he meant by continuing the story, he meant continue the good vs evil overreaching storyline and your hero's involvement within that world....but that was how I read his post.

The storyline is a continuation of the 2.x storyline, it is not a different storyline. Why would you read the first couple chapters of a book, and then skip to halfway just because something exciting is going to happen then?

They have a journal for a reason.
They designed a journal for that reason.
They forgot about the journal for god no why.

Tevren

Probably vastly in the minority on this, but I'm just not feeling Heavensward currently. I was super hype for it, ut not unrealistic levels. I loved how ARR ended, and wanted to see that built upon.

But now, after a solid day of it, I'm just feeling flat. I can't even isolate anything that is diminishing my enjoyment, I just know it's happening. My friends don't seem to be having any issues, and I'm thrilled they're having fun. But starting around halfway through Dravanian Foregrounds, I keep wishing the story was in a single player RPG instead of an MMO.

Hopefully I can regain my mojo soon.

Uthred

The problem is after Heavensward.
What happens with the next expansion?
Are they going to keep locking people out because "duh, story is great...but you can skip the boring cutsene" argument? They will never get new players at that rate since people will have to play useless contents to get to relevant part.
They could have solved the problem by updating everything into your journal, and call it a day.
So easy, and less painful.

Worrying about what happens to hypothethical new players when they want to pick up a hypothetical new expansion seems like a waste of time.

To the bolded part, this attitude is entirely at odds with the development teams attitude for the game. The older content isnt "useless" its simply what came before, its no more or less "relevant" than the new content. You are also completely wrong about it being a different storyline it is a direct sequel to the storyline that ran through 2.0-2.55, as in a day or two later direct. Could they have "solved" this "problem"? Sure, but they clearly dont view it as a problem. People are carrying on like they're being forced to read one book in order to read a new unrelated one thats just been released when in reality they're being asked to read book one in a (currently) two book series.

Teletraan1

Banned
The stuff coming from you and Scy are disappointing because I would think you both know better, this isn't your first rodeo. The stuff about the quests is all standard MMO fare and should've been expected, I always find it amusing when people thing the next new MMO or expansion is suddenly going to change that.(sup Guild Wars 2 hype)

The complaints about having to "grind" through 2.0 to access Heavensward content, I lol. Hype train band wagoners who play the first month then drop the game until the next new shiny triple A thing is out, if you didint care enough to finish the story then, you won't care about Heavensward story now. This is a Final Fantasy game first and foremost, where story is driving everything the player is doing.

I can't comment much about exploration pains as I've yet to really do much of that yet, but I imagine I'll find myself being a little annoyed at this to.

The level gap thing Scy mentioned was in ARR, can't say I'm shocked that it's an issue again, side quests and and challenge log is what I'd say to that but /shrug

All I'm seeing is people whining about wanting to race to an endgame that isint even available yet so we can all go back to AFKing in the Mist.

The 2.0 MSQ had some decent stuff in it but it was padded to hell and back with a bunch of garbage tier quests. LOL all you want but making someone grind through that bullshit is bad game design. The "Story" could have done without at least 90% of those quests. I am done them now and into 3.0 content. But that was at LEAST 10 hours of my life doing garbage tier padding quests that I didn't realize I would have to do until the patch notes dropped and the servers were down. So rather than starting my journey in HW I got to be annoyed for a day and a half. I will live but I hope they streamline those quests. They were slow drip content for content starved people. Not fit for consumption with an expansion out.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I need some thoughts. What class has more utility or is plain better? The revised Warrior or Dark Knight job class?

Aselith

Not leveling a Botanist is biting me in the ass :( I'm being bottlenecked by not being able to get Dravarian Mistletoe and Rainbow Cotton Bolls because no one is even sellling them even at extortion prices.

AwShucks

If I were to start fresh (I've never played) how long would it take, hours wise, to do the main story of the main game? Getting conflicted responses from Google searches.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The 2.0 MSQ had some decent stuff in it but it was padded to hell and back with a bunch of garbage tier quests. LOL all you want but making someone grind through that bullshit is bad game design. The "Story" could have done without at least 90% of those quests. I am done them now and into 3.0 content. But that was at LEAST 10 hours of my life doing garbage tier padding quests that I didn't realize I would have to do until the patch notes dropped and the servers were down. So rather than starting my journey in HW I got to be annoyed for a day and a half. I will live but I hope they streamline those quests. They were slow drip content for content starved people. Not fit for consumption with an expansion out.
But why would you be in HW content, a city that has kept it's gates closed for ages. The story would make no sense going from 2.0 to 3.0 directly so many major things happen and build up from 2.1-> 2.55.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
But why would you be in HW content, a city that has kept it's gates closed for ages. The story would make no sense going from 2.0 to 3.0 directly so many major things happen and build up from 2.1-> 2.55.

This is one of the problems of centering the story more on the player, as it'll make less sense for things to happen without them there. At least with WoW, events were triggered by some faction far larger than a single player for the most part, so it would make a lot more sense and one could skip old story content and steamroll to get caught up without things ceasing to make sense.

BadRNG

None of that detracts from what he said, you could trim the fat and keep the actual story in but remove all the padding garbage they used to make the patches longer.

Aselith

Courtesy of reddit:

A2KCr4O.png

ZANG

If I were to start fresh (I've never played) how long would it take, hours wise, to do the main story of the main game? Getting conflicted responses from Google searches.

If you bum rush the story, maybe 80 hours? It's really based on what you do in between, how lucky you get with queue times, etc.

I know that locking the expansion content behind the story is controversial, but if for example you've never played, the base game is a wondrous world and an expansive tale in its own right. You won't have access to the cool new jobs or the flying mounts, but there's a progression to it that I think makes sense.

AwShucks

If you bum rush the story, maybe 80 hours? It's really based on what you do in between, how lucky you get with queue times, etc.

I know that locking the expansion content behind the story is controversial, but if for example you've never played, the base game is a wondrous world and an expansive tale in its own right. You won't have access to the cool new jobs or the flying mounts, but there's a progression to it that I think makes sense.

Yeah I don't mind the HW stuff being locked. I just keep hearing good things and wouldn't mind trying it. 80 hours is steep though. I only get about 1.5 hours of free time a day and I have dozens of other games to play still.

Maybe I'll try to demo to see how much I like it first.

scy

The stuff coming from you and Scy are disappointing because I would think you both know better, this isn't your first rodeo.The stuff about the quests is all standard MMO fare and should've been expected...

I feel like this is a misunderstanding of what my problem is. The quest routing, that is how the side quests are spread in an area, is done in an awkward fashion. They unlock after you're done with an area or they have a single quest chain with 3-5 steps after the rest finish. It just leads to quest routing being a lot of small loops (that tend to route backwards rather than forward) as opposed to multiple large ones that fits the progression of the zone. Just makes for a poor flow in how you traverse the areas quest wise.

Ennosuke

So is everyone playing an Au Ra character now?
Never liked the idea to play a paladin cat tank, they are so small. But being unique while everyone else is playing the same race, is also kinda lame.

Squishy3

I feel like this is a misunderstanding of what my problem is. The quest routing, that is how the side quests are spread in an area, is done in an awkward fashion. They unlock after you're done with an area or they have a single quest chain with 3-5 steps after the rest finish. It just leads to quest routing being a lot of small loops (that tend to route backwards rather than forward) as opposed to multiple large ones that fits the progression of the zone. Just makes for a poor flow in how you traverse the areas quest wise.
This becomes especially apparent in the Dravanian Forelands, when doing the Hunter's camp stuff. I nearly spat out my drink when I completed a quest and saw 3 new quests all spread out around it. I'm way past that now and I still haven't gotten the quest for the final aetherial current, as well. By the time I get it I'll be completely done with the area in regards to quests in there, since I just unlocked Ravana.

Also, this bug is hilarious.

AOEs from Ravana are appearing in random places across the world.

I haven't been able to connect to Aether for like an hour now. Guess I'm done for the day.

I thought a high populated server like Gilgamesh would be good choice, but if this keeps happening, maybe I should go elsewhere.

scy

This becomes especially apparent in the Dravanian Forelands, when doing the Hunter's camp stuff.

I hate to be that guy but it gets worse. A lot worse. At least the one I'm thinking of requires flying so the traveling itself is easier but more individual quest loops are involved.

Teletraan1

Banned

Are you even reading what I wrote or are you tripping over yourself to defend this game? Lets get real here. There has to be a balance between telling a story and making someone port to random map, go up to purple circle kill 2-3 weaksauce adds or the pure excitement of 2 waves of 2-3 weaksauce adds and repeat x 50 with some interesting story quests mixed in. If they got rid of those quests or the ones that have you go get something for someone they could still tell this marvelous story everyone is so enthralled by.

Too Busy Defending Game or tbdg: They could pare back the filler and still tell their story.

None of that detracts from what he said, you could trim the fat and keep the actual story in but remove all the padding garbage they used to make the patches longer.

Thank you. Someone gets it.

Ferr986

You can't make all of the game centering around your story lore. Even if its a FF game, it's still a MMO. And there's a lot of people who likes to play MMOs yet don't give a damn about the story.

If you want to follow the story then fine, but it's stupid to block people when it's a paid MMO. These people wants to give you money montly.

FFXI did it best in that regard. And was as story heavy (if not more) than XIV.

Spyware

Switched to black hair and yellow rings, saw alot of white hair au ra :p
I really like that hairstyle on them, especially that face too :)

I really like the Au Ra males. I thought I would hate them based on the few pics I saw from when they announced them but they really charmed me for some reason. Maybe it's the permanent grumpyness :p

Okay so i've played off and on since ARR launch and I have a bard who hit 50 and stopped doing content (grinding the tomes at launch was something I refused to do because of how awful it was) and so I played a few other classes since coming back a few months ago

I like being a white mage now, and want to get that class to 50. She's 35 now. When I hit 50, i'll need to do all that end game content of 2.X before heavensward right?

Is there even a reason for me to buy HS right now?

edit: also since i've been back i've gotten into the GAF guild but I've got no idea what all these new chocobo systems are and what the estate is good for and all that stuff but I at least remember how to play, heh

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
These people wants to give you money montly.
They haven't been so now they are behind :p

There is literally nothing for people in the expansion outside of the new jobs if you haven't cleared 2.55's story.

The run here do this filler is dumb but at the same time everyone had to do it and a good chunk of it connects things. Though about 30% could be scrapped

I would love to finish the 2.0 story and onwards.....but the servers are taking a dump.

Stupid error 2002/5006.....hope stabilize the servers soon. Dont want any more lost days.

K.Sabot

This becomes especially apparent in the Dravanian Forelands, when doing the Hunter's camp stuff. I nearly spat out my drink when I completed a quest and saw 3 new quests all spread out around it. I'm way past that now and I still haven't gotten the quest for the final aetherial current, as well. By the time I get it I'll be completely done with the area in regards to quests in there, since I just unlocked Ravana.

Also, this bug is hilarious.

AOEs from Ravana are appearing in random places across the world.

Why haven't you made a pentagram with the bug yet

fedexpeon

Banned
Worrying about what happens to hypothethical new players when they want to pick up a hypothetical new expansion seems like a waste of time.

To the bolded part, this attitude is entirely at odds with the development teams attitude for the game. The older content isnt "useless" its simply what came before, its no more or less "relevant" than the new content. You are also completely wrong about it being a different storyline it is a direct sequel to the storyline that ran through 2.0-2.55, as in a day or two later direct. Could they have "solved" this "problem"? Sure, but they clearly dont view it as a problem. People are carrying on like they're being forced to read one book in order to read a new unrelated one thats just been released when in reality they're being asked to read book one in a (currently) two book series.

Being asked and being forced are not the same thing.
If they asked, they would have solved this problem by telling us we can "read" ours journal instead.
If we are looking this from a gaming perspective and stop using analogy about reading book, a lot of games allow you to skip part 1 and just play their brand new game instead.
You don't need to play TW1, or TW2 to enjoy the TW3 and vice versa. Even though the lore, story and world are connected, they didn't force or block you.
If we are talking MMO such as WoW which is also story heavy, they re-summarized a lot of past contents for you and actually "ask" and give you a choice if you want to relive old contents or not.
And if we still want to use book analogy, nothing can stop you from reading the sequel. You can throw part 1 in the garbage, and start with part 2 and read a summary somewhere instead and enjoy it day 1.
You can be a fan afterward and decided to go back and read part 1...or drop the whole book series and watch the TV adaption instead.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Bismark is a pretty awful and gimmicky fight. What did you say? You don't like Steps? I think you LOVE Steps!

Top Bottom