• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Soma

laughing my ass off right now

doing a trial and me and the other dragoon are racing to get the lb3. we keep missing and get interrupted since the target kept moving around so much

eventually the bard is like fuck it and he gets the lb3 off

aceface

Any scholars thinking of going for eso chest before eso book? I don't like losing 83 crit from the hive codex and I'm still on i180 chest and not close to getting the alex normal one.

Wilsongt

laughing my ass off right now

doing a trial and me and the other dragoon are racing to get the lb3. we keep missing and get interrupted since the target kept moving around so much

eventually the bard is like fuck it and he gets the lb3 off

And then bows in your faces, like a proper bard.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm thinking about going all-in on CUL for my first crafter to take through the ringer. It's what I focused on most in ARR, and I just like the CUL AF gear that much.

So glad I joined that PVP LS. Going into Flames queues with a premade is so much better. We won like 3 games in a row for our team just by roaming and killing together.

Not really. I can visually see what is happening.

Visually see me being a bad. I don't mind, I'm not very good at progression. Once I've cleared it enough, then I can pretend to be good at it. In the meantime, having Felix and Rai carry me to maelstrong wins in pvp so maybe I can get that cool coat and a mount to ease my suffering.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm surprised how much I like using Summoner.
The best part is that my main is BLM, so when I reach lv 60 I'll already have a ilv 185+ equipment set waiting for me.

I stopped at 445/450 esoterics for the week. :( oh well.

They really need to add more dungeons to exdr because I hate doing pvp as a member of the immortal lames.

what data server are you on? we tend to do pretty ok here on Aether.

4040fea1b3.jpg

tearsofash

I've been BRD pretty much since day 1, but when I started the expansion's job quests I began to like it less. I decided to try one of the new jobs, Astrologian. I figure if my DPS is going to be casting stuff, I might as well try a class where it actually makes sense to cast stuff. So, I made one. Then I DF'ed a dungeon, and got yelled at for not casting protect on everyone. I felt pretty embarrassed. That's what the healer always does, right? That's a thing. I know that's a thing.

I decided to go level up some other classes to get "a few" cross class skills before leveling up my Astrologian. Well, instead of leveling up my AST, I ended up getting BLM, WHM, and SCH/SMN. I had a really great time learning the different rotations and trying out different classes. So, now I have four jobs at level 30 and I'm not sure who I want to get to 60 first. I like them all so much. :eek:

I tried going back to the story with my BRD, and I just feel gross. The rotation is boring, and it's not nearly as exciting. I'm really glad I expanded my horizons, even it did make me even more bored with BRD.

I also decided to try all the DoH and DoL classes this week. Before I only really invested time in an ALC and GSM. I'm really enjoying that as well. I think fishing might take a while to grow on me. I'm really excited about running around cutting trees though.

WolvenOne

I think my group hit a fatigue point tonight, about an hour or so before maintenance. Moral of the story I think is that wanting to clear something too much before some arbitrary deadline, can actually make people play worse. Self imposed pressure and all.

DPS is getting better though. We're now semi-consistently getting the first Oppressor to 57-58 when the second spawns in.

Kenai

I've been BRD pretty much since day 1, but when I started the expansion's job quests I began to like it less. I decided to try one of the new jobs, Astrologian. I figure if my DPS is going to be casting stuff, I might as well try a class where it actually makes sense to cast stuff. So, I made one. Then I DF'ed a dungeon, and got yelled at for not casting protect on everyone. I felt pretty embarrassed. That's what the healer always does, right? That's a thing. I know that's a thing.

I decided to go level up some other classes to get "a few" cross class skills before leveling up my Astrologian. Well, instead of leveling up my AST, I ended up getting BLM, WHM, and SCH/SMN. I had a really great time learning the different rotations and trying out different classes. So, now I have four jobs at level 30 and I'm not sure who I want to get to 60 first. I like them all so much. :eek:

I tried going back to the story with my BRD, and I just feel gross. The rotation is boring, and it's not nearly as exciting. I'm really glad I expanded my horizons, even it did make me even more bored with BRD.

I also decided to try all the DoH and DoL classes this week. Before I only really invested time in an ALC and GSM. I'm really enjoying that as well. I think fishing might take a while to grow on me. I'm really excited about running around cutting trees though.

I actually kinda had the same thing playing HW at the start. Never thought ASt would tear me away from SCH, but I love that job (best spell effects in the game, bar none). SCH is nearing the 60 home stretch though so it will have some lovely 180+ gear waiting.

And for some reason playing MCH to 45 made me appreciate BRD more and start leveling it as my 3rd to 60 battle class, when i barely touched it after getting to 50 in ARR. I still sympathize very much with folks who miss the old playstyle, but I do like it. Maybe I am so used to playing casters that the change had little effect on me (they also have my favorite AF2 design and there's no Bard main in my static so in theory I could get loot someday!)

And keep at FSH. Job used to literally put me to sleep when leveling it to 50 but it got much, much better in HW.

iammeiam

I

Get MCH to 52, mess around with Gauss Barrel. MCH is a weird job because it has two very important pivot points: When you get Wildfire, and when you get Gauss Barrel. WF is basically MCH's entire reason for existing, and figuring out how to cram all of the possible damage into 15 seconds keeps the opener interesting. Then GB gives you the caster stance but... like... things you can do to control it? Strategy. Infinite buttons and procs and whatever.

Basically if you miss active ranged DPS it's worth checking out; I had no interest in MCH pre-HW-Bard and it's been surprisingly fun.

Ken

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Jul. 28, 2015)
The following adjustments have been made:

・The total number of items awarded from treasure coffers in “Alexander: Gordias” has been increased from 2 to 4.

・The following item names have been changed:
 - Titanium Armor of Fending → Adamantite Armor of Fending
 - Titanium Armor of Maiming → Adamantite Armor of Maiming
 - Holy Rainbow Cap of Casting → Rainbow Cap of Casting
 - Holy Ramie Cloth → Hallowed Ramie Cloth

The following issues have been addressed:

・An issue in “Thok ast Thok (Extreme)” wherein Ravana would stop performing actions under certain conditions.

・An issue with the marauder action “Vengeance” wherein the damage reduction effect would be overwritten by certain debuffs used by certain enemies.

・An issue in “Seal Rock (Seize)” wherein a player would sometimes be placed in the starting area of a rival Grand Company.

・An issue wherein the Idyllshire NPC "Splendors Vendor" could exchange the following items with the "Fieldcraft Items" option:
- Traders' Favor (Azys Lla)
- Matron's Favor (Azys Lla)
 * If you have already purchased these items, please read the following notice: http://sqex.to/H3d

・An issue wherein the unsheathing sound effect did not play for the following equipment:
- Gordian Greatsword
- Gordian Musketoon
- Gordian Astrometer

・An issue wherein using the link feature in the chat window with the "Opal Bracelets of Casting" would display the item name incorrectly.

・An issue wherein the PvP rank requirement was still listed on the tooltips for the item level 100 and 110 PvP-specific gear.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/71744-NA-FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Hotfixes-(Jun.-30)/page6

・An issue in “Seal Rock (Seize)” wherein a player would sometimes be placed in the starting area of a rival Grand Company.
For shame, this was always hilarious when it happened. Had a couple of matches where a random Adder would spawn in the Flames camp and be harassed for the first two minutes of the game.

Tash

Any scholars thinking of going for eso chest before eso book? I don't like losing 83 crit from the hive codex and I'm still on i180 chest and not close to getting the alex normal one.

Yeah, in a bit of a dilemma with this. I would like to use the Hive Codex but we just started with Ravana Ex yesterday (had to get everyone up to speed for a full static again). While I am sure we will clear it in a few days, I am not sure how lucky I'll get with the book. I have notoriously bad luck with drops from 8-man content..(fucking hate you Coil..)

But yeah, I am really not sure if I should go for the book (which I don't like the stats) and wait with everything else or hope for the drop and go for the chest either way..

If I had the book already it would be a nobrainer for me.
On the other hand..crit is super low in general on the current max gear so not sure if the codex crit would actually make a big difference? Haven't done the math..

Tabris

You know drops don't really matter for Rav EX in the end? Farm it 10 times and you get your Codex no matter what via the tokens.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm still not sure if I should get the chest or the weapon first as a BLM.
I'm using the Hive weapon and it's not like I'm going to try Alex Savage any time soon, plus I'd be able to use that chest on my SMN too...

Yeah if you don't do alex savage, you can get whatever you want. The weapon will give you the biggest numbers increase if you're an obsessive parser, but the chest, or hat if you're an AST are great glamour pieces that still provide solid damage increase(especially if you didn't bother farming shafts in alex so you're going from i180 to 200).

I'm personally hesitating still, on one hand I'd like the monk fists for dem deeps, but on the other hand, that chest looks awesome. Not being able to dye it until 3.1 though might make me pick up the fists first.

And for SCH it's a tough choice I think, cause the SCH weapons are both garbage secondaries compared to Hive, but that weapon damage does have a solid effect on consistency of heals and is a bigger damage increase and ultimately the crit on the hive codex is probably 1% crit or less(not sure what the values are but I assume it's around that). I would probably still get the book.

Tabris

Going for chest piece this week since it'll be a bit of time before I can even get into Alex savage.

Why though? Whether it's for Savage or whatever else you're doing, Weapon will almost always be better then any other piece for any content. Except maybe for a healer depending on substats? I haven't looked at substats on their weapons.

Ken

Why though? Whether it's for Savage or whatever else you're doing, Weapon will almost always be better then any other piece for any content. Except maybe for a healer depending on substats? I haven't looked at substats on their weapons.

Because weapons lock you down into one job. Or people don't care to do max DPS on content they can comfortably clear. Or maybe they're waiting for the new relic weapon lines. Glamour is a good reason too.

Tash

You know drops don't really matter for Rav EX in the end? Farm it 10 times and you get your Codex no matter what via the tokens.

I know, but I am pretty sure I will get the Eso for the book before 10 Ravana Ex clears. So the dilemma is still real in regards to efficiency gearing vs stats.

It's

Hive Codex vs. Elements (non upgraded)

24 vs 25.33 DPS

85 vs 103 Vit
92 vs 109 Mind
58 vs 102 SS
83 Crit vs 80 Pie

Now that they increased the Alex drops it's also faster to get the chest.

And for SCH it's a tough choice I think, cause the SCH weapons are both garbage secondaries compared to Hive, but that weapon damage does have a solid effect on consistency of heals and is a bigger damage increase and ultimately the crit on the hive codex is probably 1% crit or less(not sure what the values are but I assume it's around that). I would probably still get the book.

Yeah that is my thinking as well. Not sure the crit (that does look nice, though!) makes such a huge difference in the end. I probably will end up going for the weapon. The new SCH itemization still boggles my mind..

And the new relic is quite a way off anyway.

Tabris

Because weapons lock you down into one job. Or people don't care to do max DPS on content they can comfortably clear. Or maybe they're waiting for the new relic weapon lines. Glamour is a good reason too.

All the ESO left side gear locks you down into one job though.

Tabris

I know, but I am pretty sure I will get the Eso for the book before 10 Ravana Ex clears. So the dilemma is still real in regards to efficiency gearing vs stats.

Just join a farming group. 10 Ravana EX clears will take you 2hrs maybe assuming some learning / some wipes.

Tabris

Oh yeah (I blame Hasemo). Well, the rest of my points still stand.

The only one that makes sense is glamour or wanting to wait a long long time for relic.

Not wanting to do max DPS? That's fine. No one is saying a weapon will give you that, but if you follow that line of thought - why bother with any equipment. The whole point of equipment is to progress your character to do content better or faster, no matter the type of content or level of player. And if weapon gives the biggest benefit, makes no sense not to take it unless the first 2 reasons above.

Ken

The only one that makes sense is glamour or wanting to wait a long long time for relic.

Not wanting to do max DPS? That's fine. No one is saying a weapon will give you that, but if you follow that line of thought - why bother with any equipment. The whole point of equipment is to progress your character to do content better or faster, no matter the type of content or level of player. And if weapon gives the biggest benefit, makes no sense not to take it unless the first 2 reasons above.

Taking any of the other equipment still makes you do content better or faster, theoretically, as long as it's an item level increase.

Which goes back to my original point: yeah, the weapon might give the biggest benefit as a single purchase but does a casual player really care that they're x% more efficient for taking that than if they took the chest?

Tabris

Taking any of the other equipment still makes you do content better or faster, theoretically.

Which goes back to my original point: yeah, the weapon might give the biggest benefit as a single purchase but does a casual player really care that they're x% more efficient for talking that than if they took the chest?

But again, following that logic, why would the casual player care about any gear then?

The real answer to why someone would pick another piece is just impatience. They want pretty new gear now then next week.

Ken

But again, following that logic, why would the casual player care about any gear then?

The real answer to why someone would pick another piece is just impatience. They want pretty new gear now then next week.

The same reason why casual players demand parity with raiders. Fancy item level increase? Hitting the "maximum" in gear level? Why do casuals care about increasing item level? Because it's an easily understood and measurable end-goal, among other things. Even if a player doesn't understand stat weights or the impact of weapon damage, they still get that ascending item level is a positive thing to pursue. Shiny new gear is the carrot on a stick for most, if not all players, after all.

Impatience is an answer but not the only one.

I'm sure plenty of players don't understand the gains from WD compared to other stats, but that doesn't suddenly mean they aren't allowed to care about gear as a thing to chase.

Gaf, need some help. I unlocked the Paladin class which I will use for tanking.

I equiped my paladin crystal but nothing changed.

Should I notice anything different stats wise or actions when I equip the crystal?

My warrior actions are the exact same.

Ken

Gaf, need some help. I unlocked the Paladin class which I will use for tanking.

I equiped my paladin crystal but nothing changed.

Should I notice anything different stats wise or actions when I equip the crystal?

My warrior actions are the exact same.

You gain a chunk of main stat, reduces your cross class pool, and allows you to use Paladin skills. I can't remember if you get a skill with the soul stone but you will with the next job quest.

Top Bottom