• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

iammeiam

I think releasing Astro/DRK alongside the level cap is really making the shortcomings in the way they dole out EXP super obvious. It decreased the already limited tank/healer population, which worsens the DPS queue time issue and requires more focus on 'other methods' of EXP acquisition. A 2.5 million experience shortfall is not fun to look at in terms of 40K side quests, 15K FATES (maybe the worst offender--these reward basically Coerthas Central EXP despite the levels requiring multiples more), 20k hunts, and whatever else. It just makes it feel even grinder than it needs to.

Bismark is a pretty awful and gimmicky fight. What did you say? You don't like Steps? I think you LOVE Steps!

I had fun in Bismarck story. It didn't feel like Steps to me because
you spend most of the time either killing or dodging a thing. Yes, there are dragonkillers, but the game basically tells you "PUSH THE BUTTON" and then you push the button. They're more like the Levi shield than the timing/coordination fiasco of Steps.

Yes, it's messy and hectic, but the primary mechanic of the fight is still dps, tank, heals, dodge. I DF'd it, took us two tries, we had fun, I'm looking forward to EX.
Might end up sucking, but comparisons to Steps are unfair.

Wagram

Apparently my GTX980 and i7 3820 aren't enough to handle this at max full 60fps even in dungeons. The shadows too strong.

RK9039

Yeah tank queuing times are crazy, I mean crazier than normal and I just did Dusk Vigil, I'm guessing it's the same for healers. Next time I'm going to leave the dungeon if it places me in a party too quickly, I want to queue properly. I'm just really annoyed they haven't made the queuing system realistic for us, almost made me quit the game.

Uthred

Being asked and being forced are not the same thing.
If they asked, they would have solved this problem by telling us we can "read" ours journal instead.
If we are looking this from a gaming perspective and stop using analogy about reading book, a lot of games allow you to skip part 1 and just play their brand new game instead.
You don't need to play TW1, or TW2 to enjoy the TW3 and vice versa. Even though the lore, story and world are connected, they didn't force or block you.
If we are talking MMO such as WoW which is also story heavy, they re-summarized a lot of past contents for you and actually "ask" and give you a choice if you want to relive old contents or not.
And if we still want to use book analogy, nothing can stop you from reading the sequel. You can throw part 1 in the garbage, and start with part 2 and read a summary somewhere instead and enjoy it day 1.
You can be a fan afterward and decided to go back and read part 1...or drop the whole book series and watch the TV adaption instead.

If we're looking at it purely from a gaming perspective then why not pick some actually analogous examples? The Witcher games are separate entries in a series, each with their own standalone narrative. HW is an expansion to an existing game which directly continues the story. A lot of games with expansions require you to have completed the main campaign/story/etc first.

Calling WoW "story heavy" is something I would strongly dispute, but even if we accept that the manner in which they tell the story is completely different and the player characters place within the narrative and the narratives place in the overall game experience are different. What works for WoW wouldnt work for the type of game FFXIV is (and advertises itself to be).

You also missed the point of my book analogy, or I wasnt clear enough, it was made to illustrate that people complaining about having to clear older story content were acting as if it was unrelated to the newer content as opposed to being a direct precursor to it (the book one to the book two in my analogy)

artsi

I really like that hairstyle on them, especially that face too :)

I really like the Au Ra males. I thought I would hate them based on the few pics I saw from when they announced them but they really charmed me for some reason. Maybe it's the permanent grumpyness :p

Grumpy you say? But I'm having the time of my life now when everyone's in Ishgard and there's no lines in Gold Saucer!

GJwwQU1.jpg

Soma

I keep wondering why places have this red light aura like a cop just pulled someone over nearby then i realize it's apparently some Dark Knight thing lol

Frumix

Suffering From Success
WoW is so story heavy it doesn't even bother to give context for the instances it unlocks at 15 for new players to run and level in.

Isaccard

I feel like this is a misunderstanding of what my problem is. The quest routing, that is how the side quests are spread in an area, is done in an awkward fashion. They unlock after you're done with an area or they have a single quest chain with 3-5 steps after the rest finish. It just leads to quest routing being a lot of small loops (that tend to route backwards rather than forward) as opposed to multiple large ones that fits the progression of the zone. Just makes for a poor flow in how you traverse the areas quest wise.

Perhaps they were thinking you'd be revisiting these area's for one reason or another (say for hunts, other quests that lead back to the area etc.), and pick up additional steps for previous quests while you're in the area rather than do quests for this area a, b, c, in a linear fashion, but I completely understand your point

Yeah I don't mind the HW stuff being locked. I just keep hearing good things and wouldn't mind trying it. 80 hours is steep though. I only get about 1.5 hours of free time a day and I have dozens of other games to play still.

Maybe I'll try to demo to see how much I like it first.

Actually, I want to correct myself, I think it took me 40-50 hours to get to lvl 50 and then maybe 10 hours more to finish the story from there. But still, pretty steep and this is assuming you don't spend time on the side quests/dungeons.

scosher

I think releasing Astro/DRK alongside the level cap is really making the shortcomings in the way they dole out EXP super obvious. It decreased the already limited tank/healer population, which worsens the DPS queue time issue and requires more focus on 'other methods' of EXP acquisition. A 2.5 million experience shortfall is not fun to look at in terms of 40K side quests, 15K FATES (maybe the worst offender--these reward basically Coerthas Central EXP despite the levels requiring multiples more), 20k hunts, and whatever else. It just makes it feel even grinder than it needs to.

Definitely agree with most of this. The level grind seems a lot worse and more monotonous than ARR. If I recall, FATEs gave equivalent exp as a side quest back during the lvl 1-50 grind, which made them more than worthwhile to dismount and clear a FATE while you were traversing a zone. And they went by very quick since everyone would stop to do them.

RIght now, it isn't too bad as there's enough side quests and main story line to keep me levelled, but I'm definitely dreading levelling my second job. With how boring it was FATE grinding back in 2.0, imagine it now taking 4x longer or more each level.

The main reason I find the content gating behind story acceptable is that you don't have to run alts in FFXIV.

If you jump in, you only need to do every quests once, even the story.

It's pure content also, so makes sense for everyone to run it their first time.

Jarate

Banned
Id imagine next expac they wont gate you behind the story as I doubt theres another Eorzean country not on the continent

This is fine though, story is really slow in some parts and easily skippable, and you can kind of pay attention when things are going down.

Story can get pretty fetch quest heavy though which sucks.

Xiaoki

WoW is so story heavy it doesn't even bother to give context for the instances it unlocks at 15 for new players to run and level in.
You mean, like Dead Mines? Most of the story of the Westfall zone revolves around the instance.
Just because you chose to skip the story doesn't that it's not there. WoW gives you that choice.

The key point that the people that are for the story being required for the expansion are completely neglecting is the questing.

The quests that you do for the story are terrible. Are quests that involve going to point A to talk to someone to go to point B to click on something then going back to point A to talk some more to then go back to point B to fight 3 things and finally going back to point A yet again to talk really so important that could not possibly be skipped?

Could the quest objectives not be placed near each other to reduce travel time? Could some quest objectives not be removed and just talked about to trim the number of quests? Could they not make single player versions of the required instances?

The story isn't the problem, the horribly boring questing is.

Zetta

Definitely agree with most of this. The level grind seems a lot worse and more monotonous than ARR. If I recall, FATEs gave equivalent exp as a side quest back during the lvl 1-50 grind, which made them more than worthwhile to dismount and clear a FATE while you were traversing a zone. And they went by very quick since everyone would stop to do them.

RIght now, it isn't too bad as there's enough side quests and main story line to keep me levelled, but I'm definitely dreading levelling my second job. With how boring it was FATE grinding back in 2.0, imagine it now taking 4x longer or more each level.

Leveling by dungeon may be the way to go, even though it's god awful.

Aeana

Don't forget about the armory bonus, which you don't have right now. It's even been boosted to +100% in the expansion, so you'll literally be getting twice as much exp on your subsequent jobs.
EDIT: Oh, well only 50% from 51-60, still it's a major increase.

Squishy3

They need to up the experience for fates.

I find it isn't really worth my time to do them unlike in 1-50.
I guess temple leves give stupid amounts of EXP, but I haven't done any yet. Not sure where you start them.

I think with daily hunts giving 23k exp per monster and temple leves it shouldn't be too bad for other jobs for 51-60, plus the 50% armory bonus for 50-60 when you have a 60.

Nohar

Reminder: Armory system will give +100% exp to jobs between level 1 and 50, and only +50% to jobs between level 51 and 60.
Leveling up from 1 to 50 is very quick now (even moreso if you have rest bonus). Leveling from 50 to 60 though... Yeah, I'm kinda worry too for my jobs other than my main.

Also, 10 normal leves give more exp than one temple leve.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You mean, like Dead Mines? Most of the story of the Westfall zone revolves around the instance.
Just because you chose to skip the story doesn't that it's not there. WoW gives you that choice.

Chose to skip? The game doesn't even make you aware it's there. And as for instances as single player, lol, why even play an MMO then.

Cmagus

They need to up the experience for fates.

I find it isn't really worth my time to do them unlike in 1-50.
Dungeons are where the exp is in the expansion not fates. Fates are Really tough for some reason aost like they are upping the difficulty to keep more people in the area longer while they run tests like they did in the alpha and beta.

You can gain a level by doing 4-5 dungeon runs less if you add in story exp although right now getting into dungeons is taking forever.

youzen

Anyone get the game through Amazon (the Online Game Code route)? When I got the email it only contained the Product Code and not the Early Access code.

I've emailed them twice and each time they point me to the Product Code, which I've already added through the Mog Station, but that's not getting me Early Access.

Sandfox

Dungeons are where the exp is in the expansion not fates. Fates are Really tough for some reason aost like they are upping the difficulty to keep more people in the area longer while they run tests like they did in the alpha and beta.

You can gain a level by doing 4-5 dungeon runs less if you add in story exp although right now getting into dungeons is taking forever.

The more people doing a fate the harder they are and there are a ton of people doing them right now.

fedexpeon

Banned
Blah...Getting kicked from server then playing the 2002 error mini-game.
Sigh, guess the game is telling me to take a break from the grinding.

I know people are still feeling their way through the new jobs, but how are PLDs feeling about DRK? I want to get back into tanking, PLD is my main, but DRK seems interesting.

I always felt regret for not going WAR, but back when I was PLD main they were the most viable tank for Coil.

fedexpeon

Banned
I know people are still feeling their way through the new jobs, but how are PLDs feeling about DRK? I want to get back into tanking, PLD is my main, but DRK seems interesting.

I always felt regret for not going WAR, but back when I was PLD main they were the most viable tank for Coil.

Make all 3.
I main Warr, Pld, and now Drk.
Probably going to power level Drk to 60 then Warr then Pld.

I hope they will release Samurai soon and it will also be a tank, but an avoidance mechanic one.

Squishy3

The Ravana music is excellent. Also geez, you unlock the next dungeon right away. I wanted a break between queues and party hunting, dammit!

Firebrand

Jesus at how fast some people are levelling... I've played a shitton since release yet (I did sleep) and I'm only 53 and 51 on two gatherer jobs... and there's all these 56s and 57s running about. I just met a 56 miner who was 54 on his combat job. Where's this fountain of exp everyone's been drinking from?

Apparently my GTX980 and i7 3820 aren't enough to handle this at max full 60fps even in dungeons. The shadows too strong.
That's odd. Are you running borderless window or fullscreen? I get crazy framerate skipping in fullscreen for some reason. 60 FPS in most non-crowded places otherwise on 770 / i7 4770. I only play at 1680x1050 though.

Aselith

Jesus at how fast some people are levelling... I've played a shitton since release yet (I did sleep) and I'm only 53 and 51 on two gatherer jobs... and there's all these 56s and 57s running about. I just met a 56 miner who was 54 on his combat job. Where's this fountain of exp everyone's been drinking from?

That's odd. Are you running borderless window or fullscreen? I get crazy framerate skipping in fullscreen for some reason. 60 FPS in most non-crowded places otherwise on 770 / i7 4770. I only play at 1680x1050 though.

Did you have max Leve's? If they had max Leve's they would have started out with 100 so that would have been an insane amount of xp. The Leves I was doing were like 48k with the potential for double that on bonus xp. That's like 9.6 million xp even assuming you don't get higher level Leves with more xp and also doesn't factor the per stroke xp of doing the Leve requirements which can add tons more xp.

Top Bottom