• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm currently healing level 60 dungeons without Stoneskin and it's not an easy unless the tank decides to push the envelope by grabbing 4 separate pulls and combining them.

And for that, I do apologize because I am lazy. My CNJ is 30 as well, and I should really get on those remaining levels. It's just such a boring job :(

Edit: Question for the MCH among us...do you guys have like, some kind of mana song equivalent?
Oh, I just checked and my WHM is 33. I guess I can grab that last level just to be more useful as a healer.

Ken

Stoneskin is a nice pre-battle shield but it's far from being a required cross class, especially with the nerf.

Caj814

I'm at ilvl173 on WAR with a 180 law weapon, body and belt Do I need to farm any further before I can start going into Extreme primal groups or A1?

docbon

the real solution is to cross class blizzard 2

run into battle, bio 2 -> miasma -> bio 1 - > miasma 2 + bane - > blizzard 2 until either the adds or your tank is dead.

I don't think I've used Stoneskin in the past 6months. It's terrible as a SCH, even prepull. I mean it doesn't hurt prepull, but it doesn't really help either, since it blocks crap amounts, and if you start stoneskinning the tank might wait and then you're like wasting time every pull for what amounts to nothing. I should probably switch it to Blizzard, when I remember to, as I think I'd actually use Blizzard every now and then for aoeing. Only time it might matter to have stoneskin would be for raiding high end stuff in a few particular situations, and generally you'd have a WHM doing them anyway. Only relevant if you run SCH+AST and neither have stoneskin, and even then it's low impact since it's pretty much an out of combat cast once per fight spell for non whms.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Good to know that Stoneskin isn't worth it for the DF. I remember reading something about a nerf, but didn't realize it was so bad.

Good to know that Stoneskin isn't worth it for the DF. I remember reading something about a nerf, but didn't realize it was so bad.

Oh no, I didn't use it even in 2.0, it was still bad back then on SCH. The only real advantage Stoneskin has over Adlo is the fact it's not affected by healing reductions, however in 2.0, Lustrate worked the same way so for a SCH it never made much of a difference. It was mostly a WHM spell to shield tanks from busters or prevent prey in T10. SCH never really had to stoneskin in battle because Adlo is in everyway superior(it heals, it can crit for double shield, it casts faster and the mp cost is only slightly higher but since it heals it has almost twice the mana efficiency and more than twice when factoring crits). Could argue for a fringe case where you adlo then swiftcast stoneskin for max mitigation, but any content you'd want to do that in, you'd probably have a WHM doing it, or an AST doing it(since noct and adlo don't stack, they'd be better off using stoneskin).

The nerf to stoneskin is a WHM nerf, their stoneskin trait got nerfed so their stoneskin isn't better than SCH/AST, but instead cast faster.

Basically, Stoneskin isn't a bad spell to have on AST and it's a pretty good spell on WHM, but on SCH it's just almost never worth it using Stoneskin over Adlo and the few cases where it'd be relevant you'd have another healer with you cause it'd be 8man. In 4man, the few healing reduction mechanics don't have enough of an impact to make adlo worse.

Teknoman

Ugh anyone having problems saving screenshots with Windows 10 after performing a regular upgrade? I cant save screenshots and if I try to delete anything in the music/documents/pictures folder, says its an invalid MS dos function.

VE4JZID.jpg
I know one friend's room I'm not visiting anymore.

Zhao_Yun

Looking forward to it! Fun fact is that my first encounter with FFXIV was at last year's gamescom where I managed to snatch the "I beat Leviathan" T-Shirt although I had literally no idea what I was doing on the screen! Had to play Monk and somehow managed to not fall off the ship :D
Will be fun to get back but this time knowing how the game actually works! :) Hope I can win at least one of those 2 new shirts.

Got my confirmation email for the party, too \o/
I'll post pics!

edit: anyone else going?

Really wanted to go but I already had plans with other friends of mine who also come to Cologne for gamescom. Have fun there!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well I logged in yesterday and to my surprise I got a total of 25 Gold Chocobo Feathers so I able to immediately buy both mounts and some Jet Black Dye which is good because my retainer never brought in that 5th pot of Jet Black Dye that I needed.

Tash

Well I logged in yesterday and to my surprise I got a total of 25 Gold Chocobo Feathers so I able to immediately buy both mounts and some Jet Black Dye which is good because my retainer never brought in that 5th pot of Jet Black Dye that I needed.

You sure are a popular guy, aren't you?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You sure are a popular guy, aren't you?
That's the thing though I only invited 3 friends and I'm pretty sure neither one of them crossed the Subscription threshold for me to get extra feathers so I don't know how the game got the idea that I invited a 4th and 5th friend (According to the letters that came with the feathers) but oh well I'm not going to complain.

Valor

Edit: Question for the MCH among us...do you guys have like, some kind of mana song equivalent?

Yes. If the Rook (single target) turret is out and you use Promotion it'll do an AoE TP regen. If you have Bishop (aoe) turret out and use Promotion it'll do an AoE MP regen.

Both are clearly inferior to Bard songs.

jk they're the same strength

Lanrutcon

Yes. If the Rook (single target) turret is out and you use Promotion it'll do an AoE TP regen. If you have Bishop (aoe) turret out and use Promotion it'll do an AoE MP regen.

Ah, cool. So when I'm low I can shout at the gun Bard for some regen.

Xion_Stellar

As for the discussion on Stoneskin I did go through the trouble of grabbing it and I do use it all the time when I play as my Astrologian.

Pre battle and if I'm allowed to in Battle too (to non Tanks) and that's only because just as you guys said it's not an actual necessity and barely any Healer that I played with will rarely used it more than once so I wanted to make myself an exception to that.

Plus Lightspeed really helps casting it and sometimes I would cast Stoneskin on the Party first at the start of a Dungeon BEFORE I cast Protect so I can force players to stand still while I cast it. Muahahaha!

Ah, cool. So when I'm low I can shout at the gun Bard for some regen.

Yes and you'll get the same regen you get when you ask bards: none.

Note however that MCH gets mp regen a lot later than bards. Bards get it at 30(first bard skill), while MCH get the mp turret at 50, and promotion(the song effect) at 42 so even for TP it's later. Means that for all the 2.0 leveling content, MCH can't actually regen mp so you shouldn't count on it.

iammeiam

Double spoiler: MCH is kind of situationally better. Battle Voice doesn't impact the singer; Hypercharge does impact the Machinist.

So, you die, get rezzed, cost the healer a boatload of MP and have none yourself. Pop Bishop, Promotion, Hypercharge. You spend 15 seconds with healer MP regen at double speed, and actually gain MP yourself, letting you keep regen going after Hypercharge falls off. Doesn't last as long as BV, but in that situation your Bard friend would be wasting most of BV as they'd bottom out on mana after a few ticks anyway.

Also means a MCH can actually double-speed restore their own TP. And turret swapping and promoting is oGCD with no cast time, meaning it costs you nothing to turn mana song on and of and chain-promotion at almost no MP is basically penalty free. On Bard popping ballad at 500 mp means blowing 3 seconds on casting something that lasts a tick or two, and doing this repeatedly is a huge hit in terms of missed GCDs; MCH can just work it in between GCDs and have no skipped casts.

Final bonus: The way buffs work. If a Machinist buffs themselves, it doesn't impact the turret at all (beyond potion); turret damage doesn't impact Wildfire. Bard pops mana song with buffs up, it removes 15% of ALL damage, including making their buffs 15% less effective. MCH pops Promotion, the only thing they lose is turret damage. Which is base somewhere 10-15%, but since buffs only impact the machinist you don't lose effectiveness by popping them while the turret is busy.So basically needing to emergency mana song during a burn phase is often harder on a bard than a machinist, from what I can tell.

Lanrutcon

Yes and you'll get the same regen you get when you ask bards: none.

Note however that MCH gets mp regen a lot later than bards. Bards get it at 30(first bard skill), while MCH get the mp turret at 50, and promotion(the song effect) at 42 so even for TP it's later. Means that for all the 2.0 leveling content, MCH can't actually regen mp so you shouldn't count on it.

But if I don't give the Bards a reason to sing, then they'll never be validated in their role as Support/something/something/something/.../dps.

I figured the same goes for MCHs.

iammeiam

Get your MCH propaganda the hell out of here.

edit: also if you really want to discuss songs/turrets there are positives and negatives to both classes in terms of what is impacted when they begin utility mode.

Not even propaganda, it's just some non-obvious stuff about Promotion that I don't think people necessarily know/think about. There's a lot more you can manipulate with it without costing yourself GCDs, basically.

My greatest healer bard mana moment was during a Alex 2 Run.

Scholar died and Bard died. Me as AST, I quickcast rezzed the Scholar and Lightspeed rezzed the Bard. Popped Enhanced Ewer on the Bard who then played his enhanced mana song and we all recovered plenty of mana.

Amazing.

JMPerona

A quick question. Im playing with an arcanist lvl15 and I have to choose a Job. My objective is to get a Summoner att lvl 30. Which job is suitable at my current level if we have the future summoner in mind?

Xion_Stellar

A quick question. Im playing with an arcanist lvl15 and I have to choose a Job. My objective is to get a Summoner att lvl 30. Which job is suitable at my current level if we have the future summoner in mind?
Besides getting Arcanist to Lv.30 and Thaumaturge to Lv.15 to unlock the Job?

Getting Thaumaturge to Lv.26 and Archer to Lv.34 so you can have access to all Cross Class Actions is a good idea.

plake

Can I choose the Thaumaturge class if Im an arcanist?

All characters can chose any jobs. Do the main story up to lv 15 ish where you'll be able to travel to Uldah where you can join the Thaumaturge guild.

If you're a new player that haven't started a paid subscribtion yet, let me know and I'll give you a referral code that will give you some small bonus items that will give you bonus exp gain.

plake

Just realized it's gonna be a bitch to get the dragoon armor from hismena:,(

Gonna take at least 3-4 months...

Hopefully it won't be obsolete by then.

I don't have the exact numbers in my head but body and legs are approx 2 weeks each while rest of the items are about 1 week each. So for left side it should be 6 weeks. 2-3 weeks for weapon. But yeah if you count accessories too it adds up but shouldn't be 3-4 months. Slightly over 2 months I believe.

Xion_Stellar

Can I choose the Thaumaturge class if Im an arcanist?
Just a plake mentioned you can be EVERYTHING in this game under the same character and as you progress through your base Guild Quests (Specifically Lv.15) you will be able to join other Guilds and become other Classes.

So to unlock the Summoner Job you will be required to have a Level 30 Arcanist and a Level 15 Thaumatur.

I don't have the exact numbers in my head but body and legs are approx 2 weeks each while rest of the items are about 1 week each. So for left side it should be 6 weeks. 2-3 weeks for weapon. But yeah if you count accessories too it adds up but shouldn't be 3-4 months. Slightly over 2 months I believe.
That's not that bad, I mainly want the left side.

What's the best way to get law and esoterics?

Xion_Stellar

That's not that bad, I mainly want the left side.

What's the best way to get law and esoterics?
To cap weekly Esoterics just do your daily Expert Roulette 5 times/days

To farm Law just farm the Neverreap and The Fractal Continuum dungeons.

dramatis

How do I deal with a full inventory bar selling stuff?

Is it retainers or something you pickup?
Retainers.

In each of the main 3 cities, there's an NPC usually standing in the market areas called "Retainer Advocate". I think after a certain level you should be able to talk to the NPC and use 2 retainers.

Audioboxer

Retainers.

In each of the main 3 cities, there's an NPC usually standing in the market areas called "Retainer Advocate". I think after a certain level you should be able to talk to the NPC and use 2 retainers.

Cool thanks.

Can you still use items in storage for crafting or do they need to be in your inventory? It's nice when an MMO allows you to do that.

Valor

Not even propaganda, it's just some non-obvious stuff about Promotion that I don't think people necessarily know/think about. There's a lot more you can manipulate with it without costing yourself GCDs, basically.

When are you going to give up the MCH life and return to your true bardly calling? Stop tinkering with your machines and come home.

IvorB

When are you going to give up the MCH life and return to your true bardly calling? Stop tinkering with your machines and come home.

He's gonna be like that old bard in the class quests, sitting out in the forest moaning about how Wander's Minuet killed his career and now he fights with a gun.

Xux

He's gonna be like that old bard in the class quests, sitting out in the forest moaning about how Wander's Minuet killed his career and now he fights with a gun.
Yeah, he complains about Wanderer's Minuet so he uses Gauss Barrel instead.

Audioboxer

It makes sense. I mean if your retainer has your 5 apples why should you be able to use them?

I get that is logically makes sense, but other MMOs allow you to dump crafting items in storage and use them when crafting.

Sometimes ease of use > logical. But I do admit FF14 gives you a massive inventory so I don't think it will really be an issue for me, just having a grumble.

Top Bottom