• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

i140 offhand to i170 crafted offhand is bigger upgrade than i150 mainhand to i170 mainhand

Yeeea, but the only crafted off-hand I saw on the marketboard was going for like, 15 Million Gil earlier today, or something crazy like that. Mind you, I have a few months until 3.1, so I can gather the materials and such and have it made when more people are capable of crafting it.

I'll probably be in a position to get the main weapon first, seeing as I'm already farming up most of what I need. (Need to figure out a 510 Adamantite Ore rotation though.) Favors and getting you a little something in return for the gear you gave me, come first though.

Ken

I see nobody tried to defend their glamour so my statement was totally on point!

I don't know; do you want defend your Savage 8 posturing first? Otherwise you're just an annoying fly buzzing around in this thread pretending to matter.

WolvenOne

I don't know; do you want defend your Savage 8 posturing first? Otherwise you're just an annoying fly buzzing around in this thread pretending to matter.

200.gif

Ooooooh my....

Valor

Scy asked me what the positives and negatives were for both, so I said them. Of course there are case by case things that shift one way or the other. I didn't think I needed to write a freaking essay outlining every last scenario that can possibly occur and how the two differ. I don't want to write that. No one wants to read that. There's grey in the black and white but in a general sense the black and white does hold true.

Hypercharge's doubled regen potential is actually more seconds per BV CD than BV... So many things. I think an actual +/- list would take me forever.
Why would you use every Hypercharge for regen? You don't. You shouldn't. No one would. I already said the flexibility of Machinist is a big positive. I like what you said about swapping turrets and no, I don't think swapping turrets is hard by any stretch. However, it is something you must do. That's literally all I was saying about micromanagement. It doesn't matter how hard it is, all that matters is that it is more than simply pressing a button, waiting three seconds, and the buff is up. Difficulty is not a factor.

Okay, first off, how is that not a downside? Like, there's no upside to not gaining the effect of your own BV. It's literally 100% downside.
It's perspective, sure, but I've played Bard since 2.0 and I really can't say I've really cared about no BV on me since typically my TP management isn't much of an issue most times and ballad mp ticks are whatever. I don't consider it a downside because I just don't care about it. I don't think many bards do. Maybe I'm wrong.

The primary difference is one is more button presses to enable...
Besides that, I'd argue that "spot regen" and "using BV / Hypercharge on it" aren't the same thing but this is possibly a semantics point?
Don't underestimate the ease of fire and forget. Switching Ballad on and off is infinitely easier than switching turrets consistently. It's literally that easy and that primary difference is all of the difference. If that doesn't bother you, then fine. It's not something I'm super keen on, personally. I'm not saying they're the same thing since they're completely not the same thing. Turning on Ballad for a couple of mana ticks for a healer to get through to the next phase versus a 30 second commitment to songs.

So how is it a DPS loss to burn Hypercharge Promote here but not a DPS loss to burn BV here?
1. I don't really think relying on turret damage alone is a good metric for a DPS gain. 2. Bishop Hypercharge offense doesn't help Wildfire or the Machinist themselves, just the caster. If you're going to argue you can do both, you can do the same with Bard as well and odds are your duration can end up being longer, if not equal to the Machinist's. Enjoy that micromanagement of Promotion, by the way, flipping it on and off to a randomly timed auto attack of a robot to refresh things. It sounds good in theory but in practice it sounds like a logistical nightmare especially with the extremely short duration. I will say that trying to flip it off of Promotion for at least that very last magic vuln would be pretty cool.

However, there are very good points being made about Hypercharge Bishop > Regular Rook. I just would rather not put myself in that position because of the following.

I have no idea how anyone can say that a BV not spent on Foe's isn't losing out on a lot of damage while saying that Hypercharge'd Promote is.
Because I wasn't comparing BV Ballad to Hypercharge Promote. I was simply saying using Hypercharge in a defensive manner is not ideal or something I'd want to waste one of my TWO best offensive cooldowns on. That's the big thing. Hypercharge is one of your best cooldowns along with Wildfire and Raging Strikes. Battle Voice for Bard is more of a "who gives a fuck" button. It's not NEARLY as vital to Bard as Hypercharge is to Machinist. Not even close.

Also if you're going to argue something as silly as one server tick earlier then I can counter and say that when I turn Ballad on I can always make sure the Healers are in the field where if you're getting Bishop damage you need the Healers to be within x of the targets. I just think that argument is a little silly since it'll very rarely become as issue you need to deal with.

Maybe I just prefer the fire and forget mentality of Bard utility versus the swapping turrets and micromanaging every second of Hypercharge. Perhaps the latter is easier on keyboard, but I dunno.

This page makes me want to shoot myself and I play BRD and MCH.
Sorry, you can get back to people gloating about Twintania mounts soon enough.

chrono01

I'll try harder :(
Me too. :(

I was totally standing near and dropping Ley Lines under your summoned minion so they could partake of the spell speed increase.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yes, I'm aware that the caster is the only one able to gain the spell speed buff. I will try harder to give your minion(s) space, Scy.

Tabris

EDIT - Ehh it's just mean to say that.

We couldn't run T8 savage anymore as a group during dead game time due to people's vacations and/or lack of wanting to login.

scy

I'll keep this briefer since lol we're awful. PM or find me in-game later if you want to continue since it's interesting to me at least.

Don't underestimate the ease of fire and forget. Switching Ballad on and off is infinitely easier than switching turrets consistently. It's literally that easy and that primary difference is all of the difference. If that doesn't bother you, then fine. It's not something I'm super keen on, personally. I'm not saying they're the same thing since they're completely not the same thing. Turning on Ballad for a couple of mana ticks for a healer to get through to the next phase versus a 30 second commitment to songs.

For some perspective, my Rook Turret on Machinist is the same command for Place pet on Summoner. I randomly manually place my pet for no good reason about a million times so it's a fairly intuitive setup (and Bishop is just one keystroke over). To me, it's a pretty smooth thing. Likewise, Promote is where Obey is and I mash that about a billion times so they're both muscle memory'd in super convenient locations. This probably helps a lot for how I approach a turret hotswap as simple.

Enjoy that micromanagement of Promotion, by the way, flipping it on and off to a randomly timed auto attack of a robot to refresh things.

It's not that random, it has an internal timer. Besides, you'd let it attack -> swap -> switch at the last ~3s of the duration and let it finish in attack. There's no real timing? Attack -> Promote -> Drop Promote before it wears off.

Also if you're going to argue something as silly as one server tick earlier then I can counter and say that when I turn Ballad on I can always make sure the Healers are in the field where if you're getting Bishop damage you need the Healers to be within x of the targets. I just think that argument is a little silly since it'll very rarely become as issue you need to deal with.

I think you're missing why I think this is a big deal. Let me think of a good example. A3's phase transition is enough time for ~2-3 ticks of TP or MP refresh that is a hard sell for convincing a Bard to sing there. It's a minor gain but it occurs enough that you can get ~100+ TP / ~1k+ MP without anything more than an activate, pause, deactivate. I'm not talking about requiring getting that earlier hit in, just that it lets you use it in brief breaks for 2+ ticks instead of what would have been barely 1.

It's the difference between spamming an instant cast vs something with a cast time. One is upfront and the other is at the end but both are on the same GCD. It just makes it easier to use a small break to get extra ticks. I do agree it's super minor but it's one of the small niches in general that separates their regens at all.

iammeiam

Had a thing typed up to Galen, deleted it because I don't care enough. Good luck have fun.

he said that nuadha should go back to making potions for payment of his group carrying him.

aka salty as fuck

I feel like every GAF member watching Nuadha's clear stream was doing it in anticipation of this moment.

Jayhawk

Everybody getting carried!

Crafting carries.
Math carries.
Theorycraft carries.
Minion carries
Turret carries.
Savage carries.
Post carries.

Can somebody get some FC members an air conditioning carry please?

Ken

Was busy getting sexual gratification from girlfriend

This is why it's never worth starting any type of meaningful discussion with you.

EDIT - Ehh it's just mean to say that.

We couldn't run T8 savage anymore as a group during dead game time due to people's vacations and/or lack of wanting to login.

Mean or a weak defense. Pick one. It's pretty clear you love putting people down over anything and everything, even if it has barely any relation to the topic at hand.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Thinking I might leave esoteric weapon for last. Don't have any interest in running savage, and by the time I've gotten the other slots filled I have to wonder how far off 3.1 will be and new relics with it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just poke my nose in here from time to time to laugh at all of you being angsty at each other on a public forum about private in game matters. It's nice when real discussion about the game happens though :p

Tabris

Mean or a weak defense. Pick one. It's pretty clear you love putting people down over anything and everything, even if it has barely any relation to the topic at hand.

Pot. Kettle. But I won't deny that I do that for specific people, but I resist thus the edits, just not fast enough :)

Still haven't defended your glamour choice though!

Ken

Pot. Kettle. But I won't deny that I do that for specific people, but I resist thus the edits :)

Still haven't defended your glamour choice though!

Skimpy outfits are appealing to me and because of that I like to glamour into it. I don't wonder if I have some subconscious yearning for sexual gratification when I click on the marker board and look for glamour prisms.

Though it doesn't matter in the end since your whole "more sex makes me the more superior FF player" angle is about asinine as can be.

Tabris

Though it doesn't matter in the end since your whole "more sex makes me the more superior FF player" angle is about asinine as can be.

Well I was making a joke (mean-spirited fair enough thus the edit) saying that's why I wasn't logging in as much to do T8 Savage as I was calling out lack of sexual gratification as the reason for people glamouring skimpy outfits on their female avatar in an online game. I dunno how you got that from the above statement, maybe missed the entire post due to my edit.

Ken

Well I was making a joke (mean-spirited fair enough thus the edit) saying that's why I wasn't logging in as much to do T8 Savage as I was calling out lack of sexual gratification as the reason for people glamouring skimpy outfits on their female avatar in an online game. I dunno how you got that from the above statement, maybe missed the entire post due to my edit.

It's pretty much the only thing you ever bring up.

Top Bottom