• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

RPGCrazied

I have an Nvidia card, too and it was dead easy to set up. Just google for Reshade with SweetFX. You also find tons of premade presets on the SweetFX site if you do not want to play around with all the different settings yourself.
You basically get 5 additional ini files in your game folder and you can open and change them with notepad. There are tons of different settings but they are somewhat explained in the files. You can have the game open and change/save values on the fly and it will show in game after a few seconds of recalibrating once you saved the changed file. It's also easy to just disable everything again (and F11 easily toggles DoF on and off in the game. You can of course set it to any hotkey you want. I actually did set it to the same hotkey as I have for hiding my UI in game)

Ok, I just want better AA. I don't care about anything else. :)

Neku054

Neo Member
If you're in a dungeon that's Brayflox or higher.

If your tank is Paladin, check if he has Shield Oath up (it is an icon next to his name on the party list that looks like this).

PLDs don't get shield oath till 40. so haukke manor, brayflox, cutters cry and sunken temple PLDs won't have shield oath. they should turn on sword oath though.

Xr4GD9H.jpg
This is a dress not a robe.

I have a few questions: I'm currently level 25 rogue. Is there any reason to keep leveling it or should I just make a ninja immediately?

Also should I be worried about getting skills from other classes ie lancer and pugilist?

One time I made a compromise with the dps in the lvl 56 Vault dungeon, which is that I told them they can eat one attack but not two, and things worked out.

Hmm. Do you run into a lot of DPS that push eating attacks to do more damage? My goal is to avoid eating anything if possible even if it screws up my rotation. It's just habit now.

suzu

I have a few questions: I'm currently level 25 rogue. Is there any reason to keep leveling it or should I just make a ninja immediately?

Also should I be worried about getting skills from other classes ie lancer and pugilist?

Your rogue is the class that gains exp. You can equip the ninja job after meeting the requirements and completing the quest (lvl 30 rogue and lvl 15 pugilist).

You should get some cross class skills from those classes at some point, yeah. Invigorate and Blood for Blood from lancer.

Neku054

Neo Member
I forgot about that. Generally speaking though, PLDs should be hardier than WAR, so I think it's unlikely randomrusso's problem tank was a PLD.

I would argue that PLD is the weakest tank in the 30-40 level range and WARs being the strongest (can't speak too much for DRK). PLDs have more cool downs sure but enmity can be an issue as well as 15% more damage taken than other tanks without cool downs (shields give more defense not sure if 5% just guessing) not to mention WARs get healing bonus as well from defiance

But I'll agree it shouldn't be too much of an issue, if anything the tank was just poorly geared or not geared at all.

Ferr986

At 30 you switch to Ninja. You level both anyways.

Blood for Blood and Invigorate from Lancer, and Internal Release from Pugilist are a must.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Cross class skills are a must.

Ok, I just want better AA. I don't care about anything else. :)

Unfortunately that is the one thing which is kinda not possible in the FFXIV client. Forcing MSAA is possible on the DX9 client but causes lots of rendering errors. You can use DSR but the game's UI scaling is literally from 1997 and past about 1440p or so, it can't get any bigger and at 4K it becomes small enough to require a telescope to read it. This is why I can't play FFXIV in 4K on my 4K TV even though I finally have a video card that could push that resolution halfway decently.

Enjoy your FXAA overlords. :(

I'm trying to get some friends into the game, and I was wondering how to get the most bang for their buck. If you do the full free trial period, and then buy the game, do you still get that first 30 days free?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I decided not to use the DX11 client until I get a new video card. 7970 having a hard enough time as it is.

I've run into issues with the DX11 client crashing on alt-tabbing and freezing at random. Doesn't happen often, but it almost never happens on the DX9 client.

Haven't been too pleased with my experience with the DX11 client in general. Them floors be shiny though.

I am yeah. Monitors only go up to 1080p anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127841&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-841-_-Product

The LE version has stock 970 clocks but the MSI Twin Frozr V heatsink so you can OC it yourself if you want. It's $299 in cart with free Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, A Hideo Kojima Game

If you want to cough up an extra 20 bucks and get a factory OC get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-125-685-_-Product

Lanrutcon

I've spent the entire day healing the 60 dungeons to get my SCH law set from scratch, and I did it. I've learned a lot! Like, there are a lot of really squishy tanks out there, and Paladins are totally my tank of choice.

So...I'm like, ilvl 168 atm. Can I go do Alexander normal? The Alex chest looks really pretty.

Ken

I've spent the entire day healing the 60 dungeons to get my SCH law set from scratch, and I did it. I've learned a lot! Like, there are a lot of really squishy tanks out there, and Paladins are totally my tank of choice.

So...I'm like, ilvl 168 atm. Can I go do Alexander normal? The Alex chest looks really pretty.

i170.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127841&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-841-_-Product

The LE version has stock 970 clocks but the MSI Twin Frozr V heatsink so you can OC it yourself if you want. It's $299 in cart with free Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, A Hideo Kojima Game

If you want to cough up an extra 20 bucks and get a factory OC get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-125-685-_-Product

Thanks, I'll probably get this then since it's been a bit.

Found out the reason I have had glitchy nameplates since 3.0 launch is because I'm running Crossfire AMD cards.

Just putting that out there in case anyone else is having that problem (though I doubt it as that's an uber minority it seems). There's yet to be any fix on either SE or AMD's side. It's not a big deal, but it can be annoying in things like PVP where people will have nameplates of enemies, or enemies have ally nameplates.

I started recently and am sitting at 51 on my paladin, so reading this makes me happy. Reddit (which I can read at work, unlike GAF) makes paladins sound worthless and broken. I've also leveled conjurer to 20 something, and healing DRK was noticeably tougher than paladin. Could have just been a bad player.

I'll still try DRK next since they look cool, start at 30, and eventually I want both jobs maxed. Still, accounting for skill I don't want my paladin to feel like a poor option for end game tanking. I've grown to enjoy the play style.

I'm very unlikely to play warrior other than to gain a useful cross skill if they have any.

Sifl

If I was looking for someone to meld for me how would I go about it, just whisper people? Also can the person melding do overmelds and is there some sort of etiquette to it, like tipping them?

Xux

It's a weird feeling maining Warrior 'cause I really have no idea what the other two tanks are like at level 60. Like, I look at Paladins and I'm, like, gosh I wish I had a move like Circle of Scorn for pulling trash.

Neku054

Neo Member
It's a weird feeling maining Warrior 'cause I really have no idea what the other two tanks are like at level 60. Like, I look at Paladins and I'm, like, gosh I wish I had a move like Circle of Scorn for pulling trash.

Steel Cyclone or w.e. is you Circle of Scorn D:

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If I was looking for someone to meld for me how would I go about it, just whisper people? Also can the person melding do overmelds and is there some sort of etiquette to it, like tipping them?
Whisper? You use shout chat in a city like Limsa, Idyllshire, or ask for it in fc chat. The tooltip will tell you what you need, it'll say something like "Materia Melding: Leatherworker lv 60".

Shout for what you need, when you find a person who can do it you right click them (Square button on ps3/ps4) and "Request Meld". You'll need 3 items for the meld; the item you want to meld, the materia, and a "Grade X Carbonized Matter" (Grade 1 for I materia, Grade 2 for II materia, etc...).

Anyone doing melds should be able to overmeld, it's a low lv sidequest. If you're unsure about tipping ask the person before you start. If you need several overmelds tip cause it takes a while for overmelds to stick.

I don't have warrior experience, but aren't they supposed to be better at AOE threat than a paladin? Dark Knight threat also seems stronger than paladin.

I love my mitigation in the pre-60 dungeons I've run, but circle is on a decent cooldown and flash does zero damage. There's a decent amount of tab targeting at play on a paladin.

WAR is the more fun tank anyways.

Top Bottom