• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

hamchan

So just starting endgame, you can pretty much get everything in the game up to ilvl 200 by just doing duty finder, with only ilvl 210 stuff locked behind Alexander Savage?

So just starting endgame, you can pretty much get everything in the game up to ilvl 200 by just doing duty finder, with only ilvl 210 stuff locked behind Alexander Savage?

Pretty much, but you're capped to 450 esoterics weekly, so you can't like i200 right away, it'll take 3ish months to get a full set. Can get i190 from alex and from ravanah for the weapon(can't be DFed though, at least not yet) in the meantime. And before that, you get i180 from running crappy dungeons for law then upgrading with more laws or hunts/daily mark bills.

dcye

The easier solution is to switch to this:
64px-Soul_of_the_Scholar_Icon.png

Yep then you don't have to press any buttons at all.

At 2.0 endgame.

Its probably been said a lot, but the fact that there are so many cutscenes in these dungeons is just the worst. Its gonna suck if any forced dungeons later on have cutscenes like this too.

Voror

Is there anything to keep in mind when picking what Grand Company to join? I've been looking at wikis and such, but can't seem to find indications of such a thing. Is it just picking which one you like then?

Is there anything to keep in mind when picking what Grand Company to join? I've been looking at wikis and such, but can't seem to find indications of such a thing. Is it just picking which one you like then?

unless you like to pvp then not really. They do have different glamour sets though and housing items so you can check those out

Tabris

It's pretty much the only thing you ever bring up.

Whatcha talking about? I complain about FFXIV not having FFXI features way more then bad glamour :p

Oh, I know everyone has this on clear now but A1S cleared. Had to deal with getting members together and then learning how everyone plays for last 2 weeks, but think things are getting good now

nbcmhlJ.jpg

Omni

Was healing through Dzemael Darkhold for the first time. VERY rough... haha. Mostly because no one in our party knew what to do. First boss involved us running around like headless chicken trying to figure out what was happening.

I like White Mage but Bard is so much easier. At least then I don't feel directly responsible when something goes wrong >.>

What's this "Hest of the best" quest that the game is making me do? I don't know what a guildhest even is.

Edit: nvm, I'm still confused as fuck.

Xux

What's this "Hest of the best" quest that the game is making me do? I don't know what a guildhest even is.

Edit: nvm, I'm still confused as fuck.
Guildhests are like instanced training things you do through Duty Finder. You have to unlock them through a Battlewarden in a lower level area and then work up to the ones that MSQ requires.

Guildhests are like instanced training things you do through Duty Finder. You have to unlock them through a Battlewarden in a lower level area and then work up to the ones that MSQ requires.

Didn't even see the batlewarden next to the levequest person lol. Thanks for the help.

My opinion on the tank jobs....

THEY'RE ALL AWESOME! LEVEL THEM ALL!

Really just got WAR to 60, and now DRK 41. Sounds I'm 60 DRK I'll have all the tanks leveled. They're all so fun to play in their own way.

I'm sure all of the flames noticed my absence this weekend but for the general populace I think I'm done with the game for a bit. It was a great ride, much thanks to Ultros gaf.

The grind gets to us all at some point.

I'll being grinding out more esoterics, Alexander gear along with Paladin and Rogue because I am fucking insane and need help.

Slathe

Anyone know of any good crafting guides? I've been trying to get back into crafting and haven't touched it since 2.0, so a bit lost.

The grind gets to us all at some point.

The grind isn't so bad actually. I just hate how top tier content is done nowadays in mmos. Back in the day, hardcore raiders had gear that was leaps and bounds above the general players. Standing around in Ironforge with purpz was a big thing. Nowadays, high end content is like 5 ilvls above the rest, but the time commitment is much, much higher. To the point where I wish gear wasn't even the reward for high end content, but something else. Not superficial like mounts or titles, but maybe something that actually affects the server. Like being able to change the outcome of certain things, enemies, spawns, making a zone pvp, I don't know. Something with player interaction, like Warhammer had to the winning faction.

I really did not like how quickly the gear in this first month of the xpac became obsolete. I know if I play for a few more weeks I'm in full 200 gear and can do all content in game. So the 210 gear is for..? Again, status means nothing nowadays so there has to be a practical use. If it translated into pvp, perfect, but it doesn't. So yeah, gear grinding isn't a good enough reward.

The other bonus back in the day was being able to see the content. If you didn't raid, you didn't set foot in the dungeon. The way coil is done is the old school way. High end players see it, casuals don't. They miss out on genuine content, boss/storyline content. But if they're going to release an easy version of every raid so casuals can see it a la WoW, what's the point of the harder modes besides world/server first type races for 30-40 players? Getting an extra phase or two? Meh. Getting 10 extra ilvl? Meh. If it was like 50 ilvl and there was an even harder dungeon that required i240, that'd make the grind worth it.

This isn't exclusive to FF14, but FF14 really lacks a way of distinguishing yourself. Mounts/titles aren't good enough, second best gear is too easy, pvp isn't set up well enough. I'll see how the wolf's den patch is and maybe pop in for that.

Ken

This isn't exclusive to FF14, but FF14 really lacks a way of distinguishing yourself. Mounts/titles aren't good enough, second best gear is too easy, pvp isn't set up well enough. I'll see how the wolf's den patch is and maybe pop in for that.

Except the amount of people AFK-flaunting titles, mounts, and raid gear plus weapons in the popular hub zone at the time show that they still hold some meaning for people.

I really did not like how quickly the gear in this first month of the xpac became obsolete. I know if I play for a few more weeks I'm in full 200 gear and can do all content in game. So the 210 gear is for..?

i200 is to help you clear the raid. i210 is extra boosts for clearing the higher floors as you farm out the lower floors,

Getting 10 extra ilvl? Meh. If it was like 50 ilvl and there was an even harder dungeon that required i240, that'd make the grind worth it.

It's also the only way to finish BiS sets for people that chase that, so there's another carrot regardless of how minute the gains are.

In the end though, if you condense the raid experience to gear that isn't worth it to you then I can't really convince you otherwise.

I think the problem with giving hardcore raiders supremely better equipment, like ilvl 230 for example, means that any none raider content they do afterward cannot offer them any equipment worth it unless it is for glamour purposes.

Hell that happened to people even in the expansion. Augmented Ironworks/Dreadwyrm items didn't stop being arguably useful till about level ~55.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think the problem with giving hardcore raiders supremely better equipment, like ilvl 230 for example, means that any none raider content they do afterward cannot offer them any equipment worth it unless it is for glamour purposes.

Hell that happened to people even in the expansion. Augmented Ironworks/Dreadwyrm items didn't stop being arguably useful till about level ~55.

Only raid equipment and equivalents are worth anything anyway, dungeon/hunt stuff is just glamour trash - even for non-raiders. 24-men were kinda okay for equipping your third or fourth jobs I guess.

Ken

It would also make it harder for new players to jump into the next raid if they tune to super special raider exclusive ilevels.

As cheesy as it sounds, I think the feeling of just clearing a really hard encounter is rewarding enough?

It would also make it harder for new players to jump into the next raid if they tune to super special raider exclusive ilevels.

As cheesy as it sounds, I think the feeling of just clearing a really hard encounter is rewarding enough?
I don't think that sounds cheesy at all.

Alrus

I think the only issue I can see some raiders having with the current Alex Savage loot is that it is not visually unique afaik. Gordian gear looks exactly like Prototype Gordian. Only the weapon is exclusive visually. All Coils had unique looking gear that you couldn't get elsewhere.

iammeiam

I think the only issue I can see some raiders having with the current Alex Savage loot is that it is not visually unique afaik. Gordian gear looks exactly like Prototype Gordian. Only the weapon is exclusive visually. All Coils had unique looking gear that you couldn't get elsewhere.

Being able to dye the gear should be a huge deal, but since all the Gordian stuff is ugly it's probably a hollow victory.

I dunno; I have fun wrong but tend to fall on the side of doing the thing being its own reward. Not even the clear, just the process and talking things out and being able to see the actual impact of different strategies and approaches vs the "show up, press buttons, win" nature of a lot of things. Unless there's actual glamour appeal, the loot is only meaningful to the extent it facilitates the former process.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't dislike Gordian. Besides some ugly facemasks it's better than most of the dreadwyrm sets (like Dragoon's).

Top Bottom