• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Reveirg

Anyone know if the physical PS3 version requires the disc to play?

My wife bought the physical version and installed it on my PS3. I want to grab my PS3 back so I'm downloading the game through her PSN account on my old PS3 with a broken blu-ray drive. The game was available on the PS Store's Download List, but will the game check for the discs upon start-up?

Tabris

Any WAR wanna practice A2S this week? Our WAR is at a my little pony convention (lol he's a really nice guy though) this week.

Anyone know if the physical PS3 version requires the disc to play?

My wife bought the physical version and installed it on my PS3. I want to grab my PS3 back so I'm downloading the game through her PSN account on my old PS3 with a broken blu-ray drive. The game was available on the PS Store's Download List, but will the game check for the discs upon start-up?
No, I believe the disc is just to give you a head start on the download. The license, which is tied to your account, is all that really matters.

BadRNG

Our AS2 clear (with bonus post credits action)

T4 was one of my favorite coil turns period, so I had high hopes for A2 when I first heard of it's concept. But the normal version was crap and the savage took all the things I didn't like about the first and multiplied them. There's a few cool ideas here, but the only thing I really enjoyed about doing it was the sheer amount of potential strategies you can come up with. That's always a good time. The rest though...blah.

I'd like to do it in gobwalker sometime, that looks like only case where the turn could be fun.

Miunih ‏@Miunih 34m34 minutes ago
Pretty sure that the person who tested 2.0 twisters made A4S. And with that, night o.o/
Thus proving the best way to prevent people from progressing too fast through content is to make the content broken.

All the crafted gear stuff was just a smokescreen, this was their real endgame.

Kalentan

I really don't like Astro's and Scholars. I feel like they get off on almost letting me (the tank) die and then deciding to heal me. White Mages almost never do this and always good at keeping me at a hood number of health. Really they're 2nd rate white mages.

Sorry a bit salty at a Astro that was healing me in expert.

chrono01

Our AS2 clear (with bonus post credits action)

T4 was one of my favorite coil turns period, so I had high hopes for A2 when I first heard of it's concept. But the normal version was crap and the savage took all the things I didn't like about the first and multiplied them. There's a few cool ideas here, but the only thing I really enjoyed about doing it was the sheer amount of potential strategies you can come up with. That's always a good time. The rest though...blah.

I'd like to do it in gobwalker sometime, that looks like only case where the turn could be fun.
Thanks for the upload, Krael.

I was hoping someone recorded that "accident". I felt bad for getting Kawazi involved, but Alena absolutely had it coming.

Tabris

AS2 is a bit boring to progress on. It's just a grind of learning what works best for each wave, executing, proceeding. I guess it's same as every fight actually, so I dunno what it is that I don't like with this one.

We've only put 1.5 sessions into it so far and up to learning how to deal with Wave 8 so making decent progress but so many different ways to handle each wave so changing up strat quite a bit each time. Lots of talking how we'll deal with a wave too which is boring.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I buckled and got the axe... >_>

LvMmeFt.jpg

Woot! Just beat the ARR storyline!

Someone told me that they are a lot better about having multiple longer cutscenes in the middle of dungeons in later dungeons. Is this right? Because nobody on the last two dungeons wanted to wait for anyone, and anyone who fell behind was vote dismissed. :-\ At least I found out how to watch those cut scenes in the inn, but still... not the best design.

I gotta say, the 8 player dungeons were not as fun. Almost everyone was high level and out-geared for the dungeons. I felt like I barely got to experience them since it was so chaotic and everyone was relentless with zero downtime allowed.

Still, in my opinion, this is the best MMO I've ever played. Love it! Can't wait to keep going and (soon?) get to Heavensward. :D

SkyOdin

Woot! Just beat the ARR storyline!

Someone told me that they are a lot better about having multiple longer cutscenes in the middle of dungeons in later dungeons. Is this right? Because nobody on the last two dungeons wanted to wait for anyone, and anyone who fell behind was vote dismissed. :-\ At least I found out how to watch those cut scenes in the inn, but still... not the best design.

I gotta say, the 8 player dungeons were not as fun. Almost everyone was high level and out-geared for the dungeons. I felt like I barely got to experience them since it was so chaotic and everyone was relentless with zero downtime allowed.

Still, in my opinion, this is the best MMO I've ever played. Love it! Can't wait to keep going and (soon?) get to Heavensward. :D
Yeah, the two 8-man story dungeons had some bad design issues that have not been repeated since. In later content, cutscenes tend to be reserved for leading up to or when leaving dungeons, not in the dungeons themselves. The final sequences of Heavensward manage to mimic a lot of the feel of the flow of Praetorium without having players be rushed through mid-dungeon cutscenes.

Congrats on beating ARR though! I think the post-ARR content is big uptick in quality, so I hope you enjoy it!

Zomba13

idk it's almost always been the last boss in that dungeon where people seem to get stuck on at least in my experience. like i actually saw the ten minute warning for the first time in any dungeon i've been in lol.

it went from being my favorite dungeon to me never wanting to see it ever again after that.

Yup. One time I had to ask the drg three times (one after each wipe) to move away when the chain was on. Like, you're right in the middle of a square, I literally can't get far enough away from you unless you move!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
On further consideration, female WAR AF gear may not look all that bad. Seems to be reasonably well-fitted to their form, and not all frumpy like ARR WAR AF, or the soldiery set. I may not even bother glamouring it. =O

Lanrutcon

I really don't like Astro's and Scholars. I feel like they get off on almost letting me (the tank) die and then deciding to heal me. White Mages almost never do this and always good at keeping me at a hood number of health. Really they're 2nd rate white mages.

You might want to go read up on the key differences between the healers. They work differently. Any SCH who spam heals you to keep you at full health is doing it wrong, especially when paired with a WHM.

I have no idea how Astros are suppose to work,

and neither do the developers BOOM.

ebil

Heh. Gotta maximize the potential of Essential Dignity!

Audioboxer

Any tips on getting immortal flame seals? I'm level 44 but only private first class. The leves that I know are for level 20/25. I'm guessing there are others. Need to get 4000 seals for a promotion. Should I just grind some fates around level 44?

Lanrutcon

Any tips on getting immortal flame seals? I'm level 44 but only private first class. The leves that I know are for level 20/25. I'm guessing there are others. Need to get 4000 seals for a promotion. Should I just grind some fates around level 44?

Fates and roulettes. You'll be swimming in seals later on, and casually burning thousands at a time.

tearsofash

Or do a bunch of solo unsynced dungeons and trade in the Unique Untradeable gear for more gil. Fates might be faster but at least the gear tradeins are consistent.

BadRNG

that end lol

who picks the music?
missing linkin park
"I cannot take this anymore"
I just ask after the clear what music people want and try to fit whatever they request in. This time around it was (in order of video) Qhon, Kawazi, Filler, Kagari.
Credits song was a joke because for AS1 Kawa wanted the Third Strike version of Elena's theme and I did IV's version by mistake, got it right this time!

I was hoping someone recorded that "accident". I felt bad for getting Kawazi involved, but Alena absolutely had it coming.
Alena always has it coming.

How much more different is Alex Savage from normal Alex? Apart from being easy as sin, I found all of Alex normal to be really boring. Hopefully they throw enough new stuff in to make it interesting, I would like to beat it if so, otherwise I won't burn myself out trying to find a static for it like i did with Final Coil.

BadRNG

Time for me to go back to dragongirl!
You can't switch back until we see skittles woman's face.

How much more different is Alex Savage from normal Alex? Apart from being easy as sin, I found all of Alex normal to be really boring. Hopefully they throw enough new stuff in to make it interesting, I would like to beat it if so, otherwise I won't burn myself out trying to find a static for it like i did with Final Coil.
It's similar to the jump from SCOB to Savage, except the base fight wasn't overloaded with dumb mechanics so the Savage isn't either. There's a few new ones and then just super versions of normal mode's mechanics. Like, in floor 1 there are four missiles you have to shrink instead of two, with each dps getting one add/missile. In floor 2 the gobwalker use is much much more important as the bombs will nearly one shot squishies, and a second hit is instant death. Certain enemies must be stunned via the walker's aoe, and vulnerability stack must be managed properly in order to kill things fast enough to beat enrage.

I expect AS1/AS2 PF groups before long as esoteric gear is obtained, they are not really difficult mechanically. Sort of like T10 in that regard.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Haven't seen A4S but hard mode primals to extreme mode primals are a fair comparison. Existing mechanics are tighter or doubled down or reconfigured, new mechanics require coordination and it's all tuned to higher item levels.

Qvoth

so i've been away for a 2 weeks vacation
some questions for blms, what's the accuracy cap for alex savage 1?
regarding thunder, "This means if you were to use a Thundercloud proc when there is 18 seconds left on the DoT, the first one would do 470 Potency which is less than Fire IV. ", so does that mean i must never do a thundercloud proc if i still have an 18 seconds+ thunder DoT on my target? so starting from 17 and below is when i can use the proc?

aceface

Gotta get a full set of bane'd dots and shadow flare off. If you die before that, I'm sorry, there's nothing I could do. Fairy should have healed more.

iammeiam

Tank HP is just the healer DPS countdown timer. Finish before it hits zero and it's fine. I think I keep tanks higher on WHM than AST mostly because the Holy stun lets regen and Asylum do all the healing whereas AST has to put in effort. It's not like tanks are doing much with all that HP anyway, it's fiiiiiine.

sora87

Ridiculous that you have to go back and do the hard versions of bowl of embers etc. to carry on the main quest line. 40 minute wait time and counting.
JUST LET ME GET TO HEAVENSWARD ALREADY!

kvk1

Wait, hard mode dungeons/trials aren't optional? They're tied to progressing the story?

I guess I really do have to get good. About to hit my first level 50 class.

sora87

Because I've done the main quest exclusively to try and get to the expansion as fast as possible!
They really should have let you just skip the patch stuff if you want to.

Qvoth

so i've been away for a 2 weeks vacation
some questions for blms, what's the accuracy cap for alex savage 1?
regarding thunder, "This means if you were to use a Thundercloud proc when there is 18 seconds left on the DoT, the first one would do 470 Potency which is less than Fire IV. ", so does that mean i must never do a thundercloud proc if i still have an 18 seconds+ thunder DoT on my target? so starting from 17 and below is when i can use the proc?

some more questions, is it worthwhile doing the daily and weekly hunts? do they give eso tomes?

dramatis

Ridiculous that you have to go back and do the hard versions of bowl of embers etc. to carry on the main quest line. 40 minute wait time and counting.
JUST LET ME GET TO HEAVENSWARD ALREADY!
Are you sure you're on the right questline?

Patch story never required Bowl of Embers Hard. The only two ARR content things you have to do for patch story are 2 guildhests and the originally optional Qarn dungeon. The rest of the story content is patch added.

Scher

Are you sure you're on the right questline?

Patch story never required Bowl of Embers Hard. The only two ARR content things you have to do for patch story are 2 guildhests and the originally optional Qarn dungeon. The rest of the story content is patch added.

Oddly enough, it turns out the patch 2.5 (I think it was that one? That or 2.55) story required the original 3 HM primal fights before you could start it. Two of my friends came across that same issue. I think most people don't realize those were required to finish the last bit of story before Heavensward because most people already did them as a part of the relic quest.

Top Bottom