• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So if you buy ARR and Heavenswarsd seperately on PSN, you can play vanilla until the add-on comes out. If you buy them together, for the same price regardless, you can't play until the expansion comes out. You can even launch the vanilla game, but it says you have no service account.

Wat.

No MMO locks you out like FF. This is the first MMO I played that purposely locks contents out because "socialized story mode is important".
I play MMO like it is a skillbased game and to rush to endgame, so this "complex" story mode that FF is trying to do is never a factor on why I play an MMO or why I even play FF in the first place.
I don't play MMO for the story/lore or how well the designed quest system is, I simply play it for the grind, for the guildmates, and of course, for the loots, and the challenge and fun in obtaining it...and also the graphic, can't really play outdated MMO unless it is 2D spirit since that is timeless.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like XIV isn't the game for you then. That sucks, but hey, not everything is for everyone. ^^

Wagram

This is impossibru unless you're trying to push 4K with a 980. I was blasting out 11k+ on the Heavensward benchmark in 1080p Maximum with a GTX 970 and i7-950.

People are apparently raging about MCH's in dungeons spamming Point Blank off CD because it has a knockback. It's like Fluid Aura all over again, except that Point Blank is apparently the MCH equivalent of other interrupts which are typically woven into DPS rotations when interrupt isn't specifically being saved to interrupt an attack like Blunt Arrow and Leg Sweep.

I'm having a problem with the client I think. It stutters, but if I use RTSS and change the frame cap it will temporarily go away and remain smooth, but then after time it will come back and start stuttering again. I'm not really sure how to fix it, but it doesn't seem as if slow down is the issue here.

Cmagus

Ley lines is the best thing added to black mage. It adds a nice little bit of strategy and you really put out some nice quick damage.

Is there a list of all the main/side quests that give a red aether current? Already found all the regular currents in Western Highlands and my black chocobo still can't fly.

RK9039

ffxiv_21062015_052325k1uz5.png

giphy.gif

Firebrand

Oh yeah, way better. They take maybe 5-7 minutes at most and reward 48k plus bonus xp up to double that whereas your questing can take a much longer time and rewards a flat 48k and many only are about 24k so far as I have seen. Leves are hugely faster than running around questing for DoH/L. Leves suck for combat classes though.

I think I did 51-52 in less than an hour on my miner.

Large Leves are garbage though. They only award about 1.5 times the xp and you have to use 10 at a time. It just doesn't make sense that they set it up like that, I don't get it.
Hmm, leves not good for combat classes though? So then im back to wondering about these 56 ones, but perhaps just the main scenario + dungeons give better exp than chasing sidequests, which I'm doing a lot.

Gonna be a scrub and sleep now though, and wake up to my lvl 53 being surrounded by 60s. :p Really liking the exp so far (music is so good), but still puzzled by the BRD minuet which doesn't really be situational at all so far.

Mattiator

Had early access but worked since and will continue to work for atleast another 6 days :*(
I'm a lvl 50 WHM, has there been an opinions on AST or AST with a ps4 controller to be specific. I may want to make the switch before leveling my WHM to 60.....
Thanks for any info and opinions :)

Wagram

Solved my micro stutter issue with the GTX 980. Turn on triple buffering, vsync, and play in borderless window. It HATES full screen for some reason.

IvorB

I'm loving both Sharpcast and Ley Lines. I can't want to get all the other skills. My cross hotbar is really taking strain though. Not sure where I'm going to fit everything.

docbon

That moment you clear the third dungeon, and think you're finished with the churning mists...

Only to bring up the map and find it utterly covered in exclamation points that weren't there before.
fQFDwEu.png

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If I preorder the base game + dlc combo on ps4, will I be able to start as one of the new races?

Also is the ps4 version good enough? I have a pc that could run it at 60 fps no problem, but I find myself playing ps4 more than anything else. Its just so convenient. I pretty much only play stuff on pc when I can't get it on ps4. MMOs always seem to better with mouse + keyboard though.
You will, but you won't be able to play right now. If you don't want to wait till Tuesday you have to buy them separately, the bundle is locked till Heavensward's official launch.

I'd say it's good enough. Frame rate is not locked at 60 for open world stuff though, so if you're sensitive to that you might be better off playing on PC. You can use a controller with the PC version as well and the PS4 version also supports M+KB.
Is ARR content capped at lvl 50 or can people do old content at lvl 60?
Depends on the content and how you do it. If you form a party beforehand you can turn on the undersized party option to run ARR dungeons without the lv sync. Using DF though your stuck with whatever lv cap the content has.

So if you buy ARR and Heavenswarsd seperately on PSN, you can play vanilla until the add-on comes out. If you buy them together, for the same price regardless, you can't play until the expansion comes out. You can even launch the vanilla game, but it says you have no service account.

Wat.
Yup, it's dumb.

fedexpeon

Banned
Anyone tries the logging into a different data center and logging out and in again to bypass the 2002 error?
Could be luck though, but I have managed to get in within one try every time now or they fixed the lobby server problem within these last couple of hours.

Wow, after finishing the 3rd dungeon and the MSQ after that, I have to grind 3/4 of the bar by doing something else to reach 56. Bummer, I really liked how smooth the first few levels were.

This is the same position I'll be in tomorrow.

I was coasting along the Main Quests for EXP and just doing the first couple dungeons and trial as they became available. But it looks like a similar spell to the last handful of levels in 2.0 where there was a gap in the story till you hit 50.

Except here it's an EXP gap.

Kilrathi

This is the same position I'll be in tomorrow.

I was coasting along the Main Quests for EXP and just doing the first couple dungeons and trial as they became available. But it looks like a similar spell to the last handful of levels in 2.0 where there was a gap in the story till you hit 50.

Except here it's an EXP gap.

A bunch of side quest open up after that (edit) all lvl 55.

Kenai

I'm having some trouble with the Main Quest. I'm stuck at some 2.55 quest called The Least Among Us - specifically, after I've completed it. I have it in the Completed log.

Problem is, I don't know where to go next. Every wikia says Minfilia, but she doesn't have anything for me. The guest mentions Alphinaud, but I don't know where he might be.

Contacted a in-game GM about this and they just wished me luck as this is something they apparently can't do anything about.

Somewhat dismayed here. I'd really appreciate the help.

I MAY have a solution, but I am not sure since it's been a while.

I can't remember if it's the Archer's Guild or the Lancer's guild in Gridana, but one of those two guilds should have a back room that you can go into, who you have to get into by talking to an NPC. See if there's a quest or anything back in those rooms. Because it's "off' the map you won't see the marker til you go in there.

That quest not being completed was preventing me from doing something in 2.5 and I don't remember what it was.

barit

I'm not very far (lvl52 currently) but Heavensward is really good already. Music is again superb and the new maps are freaking huuuuge. Must be one of the reasons why no PS3 version is in sight yet (I read that Square want to dish last-gen so they can go bigger). One thing that I noticed is the small GoT influence you see here and there. Maybe it's just because Ishgard is based on medieval society but I find it funny to see some similarities. GRRM's epos seems to have reached Japan too.

B-Dex

Had early access but worked since and will continue to work for atleast another 6 days :*(
I'm a lvl 50 WHM, has there been an opinions on AST or AST with a ps4 controller to be specific. I may want to make the switch before leveling my WHM to 60.....
Thanks for any info and opinions :)

I really like it. It plays a lot like whm. But you can do card buffs and depending on stance he shields or regen on some spells.

I found I had to make a separate solo/dps bar because there are a few situational skills that I don't want off my main bar.

Khrno

So where do we get/buy these chocobo silver and gold feathers?

I just resubbed and was checking out the early access and saw this npc with iLv 120 items and it would be very helpful to upgrade my iLv 90 from 2.1 gear.

AXE

I MAY have a solution, but I am not sure since it's been a while.

I can't remember if it's the Archer's Guild or the Lancer's guild in Gridana, but one of those two guilds should have a back room that you can go into, who you have to get into by talking to an NPC. See if there's a quest or anything back in those rooms. Because it's "off' the map you won't see the marker til you go in there.

That quest not being completed was preventing me from doing something in 2.5 and I don't remember what it was.

The Archer's guild had a back room but nothing there. Thanks anyway.

I'm kinda thinking about dropping this game. Which is a pity since I haven't really played anything else... since 2.0 release. The best MMO out there without a doubt.

KTO

The Archer's guild had a back room but nothing there. Thanks anyway.

I'm kinda thinking about dropping this game. Which is a pity since I haven't really played anything else... since 2.0 release. The best MMO out there without a doubt.

There was a branching path of main story quests there did you do the other half at the arcanist's guild with the secretary? theres a part of that quest in the basement of the guild too so that might be what you are stuck on. (i think her name is tataru but most of the characters/story is so inane i'm really not sure)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So where do we get/buy these chocobo silver and gold feathers?

I just resubbed and was checking out the early access and saw this npc with iLv 120 items and it would be very helpful to upgrade my iLv 90 from 2.1 gear.
By recruiting people. You get 10 silver feathers if someone recruits you and you get 5 gold feathers for the first 5 people you recruit. You can also get additional gold feather if your recruit keeps paying his subscription.

And speaking of which, if anyone needs a code here's mine: R6YBUQVU

chrono01

I just checked the tracking for my PC Collector's Edition. It should [hopefully] be here on Monday. That's pretty insane, since I live in Canada. Granted, I did pay for express shipping...

As for the Heavensward expansion, I'm in love. I'm nor as progressed as a few of you are [I'm juuuust under level 53], I'm more taking my time an reading everything. Yes, even the dialogue from named NPC's in the various camps/cities/etc. I'll easily reach Level 60 before Alexander opens though, which is my primary concern. Hell, I'd be surprised if I'm not Level 60 in 5-7 days. I won't rush things though. I've waited too long to have my experience "soured" by skipping dialogue/cut-scenes/etc.

Speaking of, I'm watching a stream now where the player is skipping everything. Dialogue from NPC's, cut-scenes during the MSQ, etc. Everyone is entitled to play as they want of course, but for me to play the game like that [and disregard all story elements] would be a travesty. So much great stuff in here, especially Heavensward. Those simply skipping through things are missing out. :(

I think I kinda understand what they were trying to do with some of the quest lines. Give some backstory to npcs in that area (miqote in dravanian, convictor guy in coerthas west, etc), but damn they need to scale back on quests hardcore. Dont know why they thought trickling out exp slowly and painfully was needed for the expansion

iammeiam

So I can add mad rush to 60 to the list of questionable things I've done; would have been over (much, much, much, MUCH) sooner if DPS queues weren't horrible. I spent an hour waiting on the last one, and 30-40 minutes per run wasn't uncommon. Which when you're spamming for EXP (and grinding side quests while waiting for pops) means you''re waiting out one run for every run you actually get in. Going to try to tackle the end of the main story tomorrow and get all the grind prepwork behind me so I can go back to AFKing in the Mist (or, you know, doing other things, but I've been told AFKing in the Mist is the only possible option so.)

The leveling in the expansion is definitely messed up--50-52 are basically automatic, starting at 53 an experience deficit shows up that I think reaches its worst point at 58. 59's dungeon rewards about 10% of the XP you need to level (assuming rested bonus, food, etc), the dungeon is interesting, and the drops are good. Made the whole thing fairly painless. 59 is probably helped a lot just by virtue of having its own dungeon, but the pacing overall was better for me than the slog leading up to it.

The last zone is also my favorite in the expansion; I like the design, it manages to be less of a mess to navigate than most of the HW zones (Which suffer badly from maps that cannot convey elevation well), and the aetherial currents there are handled in a way that makes to me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
After browsing for a big it seems that the general impression of Machinists at the moment is not a good one. It will be interesting to see how that pans out over time.

On the fence between BRD and MCN at the moment. Coming from BLM turret style play it seems like I might actually be okay with adjusting Wanderer's Minuet.
So I can add mad rush to 60 to the list of questionable things I've done; would have been over (much, much, much, MUCH) sooner if DPS queues weren't horrible.
Huh? DPS queues have been instant all day. Is it worse for the HW dungeons?

Nohar

Huh? DPS queues have been instant all day. Is it worse for the HW dungeons?

Pretty much. Not everyone unlocked the new dungeons. Thus people wanting to do, for example, Dusk Vigil have a small problem, since there are not enough Tanks and Healers for everyone. Since there are less Tanks and Heals than DPS, and since a lot of people aren't especially doing dungeons and are focusing on the new level 30 jobs or level 50+ quests, yeah, getting into a HW dungeon can take a while if you are a DPS. Better ask help from friends or FC.

Just hit 54. Really enjoying it. But I'm not a fan of these instanced quests. Mainly because I'm leveling as a SCH and everything takes forever to kill. And they run on a bit too long.

I didn't really like the soundtrack of ARR but the ost of HS so far is STUNNING. especially the dungeouns and trials.

Is there a way to have Japanese and english in-game text on at the same time? Like if you want to make it a bit more educational and try and improve your Japanese?

Bittercup

I have A Realm Reborn for PC and PS4 but Heavensward so far only for PC.
While I can't create Au Ra on the PS4 it is indeed possible to create one on PC and still be able to play them on PS4. Most likely works vice versa as well.
Seems like only the new areas are actually locked.
Good to know since I hadn't planned to upgrade the licence for both systems right now.

People are apparently raging about MCH's in dungeons spamming Point Blank off CD because it has a knockback. It's like Fluid Aura all over again, except that Point Blank is apparently the MCH equivalent of other interrupts which are typically woven into DPS rotations when interrupt isn't specifically being saved to interrupt an attack like Blunt Arrow and Leg Sweep.

Having been in and out of dungeons all day as DRK with these assholes I can definitely vouch for this. I was about to rage out at one point because of all the knock back effects going off and making it harder to control mobs.

Count me in the fuck MCH camp. I'm hoping some higher lvls will put an end to that shit.

Wat.

It is ridiculous, SE is a very strange company sometimes. I've been dealing with this issue to which led to refunds from Sony since SE was refusing to answer my calls, chat, or emails because of all the other people probably calling them due to this silly confusion as well.

chrono01

I know I shouldn't have but I was tired of looking at the Dreadwyrm set that I've been using since...well, it seems like forever, and wanted something new [not previous Allagan/Dungeon sets]. I went through my inventory and glamour'd the first "new" thing I had.

And this happened.

I know, completely original right? That's me, in a sea of the usual I am the singular unique fish! Hey, at least it wasn't Snow's vanity...right? I totally could have done that, but then I'd have to put up with Kagari's wrath. Actually, I'll probably still have to put up with her wrath with the Cloud costume too, not entirely sure.

Please don't hurt me!

I might glamour with the Bogatyr set, since that was the only other "complete" set that I have that wasn't previous used. I haven't decided fully yet. At least it's not gold and purple. I've grown to despite gold and purple. And buttwings.

azyless

Just started this game the other day (on Ultros) and I already played like 15 hours, definitely didn't expect to enjoy it so much.
I'm a gladiator 18/marauder 13 right now, so probably aiming for Warrior if I understood the whole jobs thing right.

Top Bottom