• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tiops

Joined A4N yesterday on Duty Finder for the first time. Watched videos, of course, to know how to handle the fight.

"Hi! I'm new here."

3 party members leave. Why??? Why do you enter DF expecting everyone to be great players? There's a fucking 30 minutos penalty for leaving.

Anyway, fortunately, the people that left were the other 3 DPS. The tanks and the healers stayed, so the party filled up pretty quickly. We beat it on the first try.

I hate this game sometimes.

Joined A4N yesterday on Duty Finder for the first time. Watched videos, of course, to know how to handle the fight.

"Hi! I'm new here."

3 party members leave. Why??? Why do you enter DF expecting everyone to be great players? There's a fucking 30 minutos penalty for leaving.

Anyway, fortunately, the people that left were the other 3 DPS. The tanks and the healers stayed, so the party filled up pretty quickly. We beat it on the first try.

the first guy that leaves gets the penalty if nobody else joins, but yea some ppl just looking for that clear/carry themselves

Sorian

Banned
If the duty finder says "finding replacements" then you can leave with no penalty. I had to make excessive use of this during my crusade for the onion knight card.

hamchan

"Hi! I'm new here."

Yeah, I wouldn't tell people I'm new tbh. They get the notification that someone is new already.

Walpurgis

Banned
I want to resubscribe but I don't have Heavensward. I still have some story quests (from the patches) that I need to finish on my level 50 WHM. Do people still play ARR content and will I be able to find groups for all the trials and stuff?

I want to resubscribe but I don't have Heavensward. I still have some story quests (from the patches) that I need to finish on my level 50 WHM. Do people still play ARR content and will I be able to find groups for all the trials and stuff?

Going through that stuff now, and yeah its pretty easy. On Ultros as a DPS and so far the longest DF time was like 10 minutes.

Tiops

Yeah, I wouldn't tell people I'm new tbh. They get the notification that someone is new already.
I usually tell them because they can give less responsibilities to the new person when it's possible, to make things easier. And give instructions. And also, I think it's nice when people communicate their difficulties/experience to the rest of the team.

When you wipe once, people always question "OK, who's the new person?". And if you don't say anything and screw up, you're dismissed :p

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
People aren't suddenly going to stop doing 2.0 content you know there's 20 Classes in the game and anyone who wants to level up another class will still need to do 2.0 content.

Sifl

I usually tell them because they can give less responsibilities to the new person when it's possible, to make things easier. And give instructions. And also, I think it's nice when people communicate their difficulties/experience to the rest of the team.

When you wipe once, people always question "OK, who's the new person?". And if you don't say anything and screw up, you're dismissed :p
Does everyone get that message at the start? Whenever someone asks "who is the new person?" Or "are there new people" at the beginning I assume they are trying to identify you to get you kicked asap.

Sorian

Banned
Does everyone get that message at the start? Whenever someone asks "who is the new person?" Or "are there new people" at the beginning I assume they are trying to identify you to get you kicked asap.

I'm sure that is some people's intention but I don't think that is the majority. Most people just want to avoid that first wipe that comes because someone didn't know what to do in a pivotal moment.

Walpurgis

Banned
Going through that stuff now, and yeah its pretty easy. On Ultros as a DPS and so far the longest DF time was like 10 minutes.

People aren't suddenly going to stop doing 2.0 content you know there's 20 Classes in the game and anyone who wants to level up another class will still need to do 2.0 content.

That's good to hear. Thanks.

I never say anything because I know how some MMO players can be. Even as a healer who doesn't watch videos, it has always turned out fine because when I don't know what to do, I just follow the other healer.

WolvenOne

So finally unlocked Sun Mica, only to discover that the crafted gear doesn't have enough Gathering on it. So, first two pieces of red scrip gear,getto! Really weird to see blue gear on my miner.

Gonna focus on offhand next, unless it remains a big pain in the neck to gather Sun Mica for red scrips. Was kinda the whole reason I farmed so much Cuprite. XD

dramatis

So I'm losing GC staff's because I can't rank up any higher. It says I need to unlock hunts. Is there a level requirement or something I'm missing?
If you're at the level where you can unlock hunts, that's the max GC rank. You should be able to hold 50k seals max.

Spend your GC seals periodically at the GC vendor. That's all.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, once I get Goring Blade, am I expected to alternate keeping its DoT and Rage of Halone's STR debuff up at all times?

Sifl

The marketboard can get pretty stressful. I feel like the value of certain items get tanked purposely, like someone flooding it with 15+ of the same item at massive discounts, but I'm not sure why.

The marketboard can get pretty stressful. I feel like the value of certain items get tanked purposely, like someone flooding it with 15+ of the same item at massive discounts, but I'm not sure why.

Drives me nuts. Especially when you have something that's selling well at a particular rate and someone undercuts by 40% and puts a ton up so everyone undercuts each other until the price is a 1/5 of what it was before and it costs more to make then you earn on it.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Sometimes it's worth scooping them all up at the discounted rate and selling them closer to sell history price if you can afford to buyout the lot. I used to do that in ARR with stuff like coke and peacock ore and made a tidy profit. Need a fair bit of gil beforehand, though, in order to buyout the market.

Sifl

Drives me nuts. Especially when you have something that's selling well at a particular rate and someone undercuts by 40% and puts a ton up so everyone undercuts each other until the price is a 1/5 of what it was before and it costs more to make then you earn on it.

Sometimes it's worth scooping them all up at the discounted rate and selling them closer to sell history price if you can afford to buyout the lot. I used to do that in ARR with stuff like coke and peacock ore and made a tidy profit. Need a fair bit of gil beforehand, though, in order to buyout the market.
I don't have anywhere near enough money to be comfortable buying out all of a certain item, rather not risk it. Gathering materia prices just keep tanking because everyone started undercutting everyone by huge amounts of money, and like 1 person bought all of them for ridiculously cheap. Now no one is buying them, so someone's gonna started selling them for nothing eventually. It's like a cycle that goes on forever.

I don't have anywhere near enough money to be comfortable buying out all of a certain item, rather not risk it. Gathering materia prices just keep tanking because everyone started undercutting everyone by huge amounts of money, and like 1 person bought all of them for ridiculously cheap. Now no one is buying them, so someone's gonna started selling them for nothing eventually. It's like a cycle that goes on forever.

Yeah the economy needs some work. I miss blind bidding in ffxi haha. It just feels like crafting in general isn't very worthwhile which is too bad because I find it super enjoyable

Aselith

I did it with Archaenis Leather right after Heavensward opened. People were putting them up for 50k and none were moving so I put all mine up for 35k and kept my retainer full of them for weeks which would "tank" the price from the other people's perspective but really it was getting things moving. Which still gave me huge profits. It went from none moving to

hqdefault.jpg

Sometimes things just don't sell for what you want them to and tanking the price is the only way to get people buying.

Totally get that ^^ but sometimes people price things well below that equilibrium. Sometimes things are selling at a good clip for a certain price and someone drops it 30/40%. Volume doesn't increase but that sets the new price and everyone scrambles to match. I'm just waiting for the inevitable correction because who is wasting their time with it I'm not sure.

Aselith

Totally get that ^^ but sometimes people price things well below that equilibrium. Sometimes things are selling at a good clip for a certain price and someone drops it 30/40%. Volume doesn't increase but that sets the new price and everyone scrambles to match. I'm just waiting for the inevitable correction because who is wasting their time with it I'm not sure.

Yeah I'd say in that case it's just someone who needs money NAO for whatever reason so they price it super low to get a quick sale and have a lot inventory of the thing.

Those low dips are when you stock up ;)

Soma

phew. first time tanking in sastasha.

little nerve-wracking having to keep hate on mobs and getting nervous when the occasional enemy starts focusing on the healer or dps.

think i got the hang of it by the time the dungeon ended though. thankfully no wipes or deaths except for a dps (who had the leaf icon) that ran into a mob on their own while i was still handling another one...

I wish I knew why Flames has this undying hatred for Adders which causes them to ignore Mael like the plague. Maybe they just hate the tree hippies

Zomba13

I wish I knew why Flames has this undying hatred for Adders which causes them to ignore Mael like the plague. Maybe they just hate the tree hippies

I honestly don't know. It seems that both Mael and Flames have this idea in their heads that Adders are so much better than them they have to drop everything to kill us.

Then there is the fact that Flames don't really understand the game mode anyway most fo the time and chase after whoever has the lowest points while letting the other team with all the points just sit and play TT around the tomes.

If you're at the level where you can unlock hunts, that's the max GC rank. You should be able to hold 50k seals max.

Spend your GC seals periodically at the GC vendor. That's all.

Thanks, but I'm not sure how to level up beyond where I am. I hit the third rank or so on my main, then it told me I had to complete some stuff to unlock higher ranks. The problem is I have no idea what the heck they want me to complete. I thought (incorrectly) it was the hunts. Hmmmm.

Anyone have a basic GC guide?

Thanks, but I'm not sure how to level up beyond where I am. I hit the third rank or so on my main, then it told me I had to complete some stuff to unlock higher ranks. The problem is I have no idea what the heck they want me to complete. I thought (incorrectly) it was the hunts. Hmmmm.

2nd lieutenant is max

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

There are certain points where quests will need to be completed in order to advance in rank (usually involving clearing specific dungeons):

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Grand_Company_Ranks

Also, things top up at 2nd Lieutenant right now. Other ranks may open up with future updates.

It's not that Flames have a playstyle or thirsty for Adders, it's just that Flames are generally bad.

I mean you can call that a playstyle I guess.

I only play Seize with a premade now and while our party generally performs very well the rest of the alliance just falls on their head. I also tend to check stats after each game and notice quite a few DPS that will never get a kill, die 4-5 times, and end up only dealing 10-20k damage.

Flames also have an obsession with just "defending" in all situations at all times.

I wonder if there's a data center where Flames do decently so I can switch and avoid losing PVP ranks, lol.

Audioboxer

Yay level 48, almost there. Just done the Aurum Vale dungeon for the first time. First party the healer and tank left instantly. Probably because it said a new player is running lol. 2nd party was great and helpful.

Literally the only times that flames win is when they actually do defend. Its not team death match.
This isn't true at all. Nodes are the objective and priority, but pushing, flanking, and killing priority targets actually helps a lot, especially when you're behind.

I've actually won plenty of games thanks to a group overtaking an undefended node or shutting down another GC.

While this is more of a premade thing. I've been in a premade where we decided to just spawn camp the winning GC long enough for our team to move out of second for the victory. I wouldn't want pugs doing that, but you can actually benefit from being offensive. Not only does the dying team lose points, but they give those points to the killers. Also you get TWENTY points for killing a fever target.

lol. over here adders are just a mindless zerg. they just pick the color closest to them and then zerg it to the end. whenever that happens they lose 100%. but who gives a shit? certainly not them. 200 points til the end! flames are either organized and deadly, or just plain garbage. i mean total garbage.

I'm a Adder and I fully admit on aether data center we are TRASH unless a premade is directing traffic.

Last pvp i was in we got 0 points and spent most of the time hanging iut at spawn and flames refused to attack mael and just harassed us.

hamchan

Yay level 48, almost there. Just done the Aurum Vale dungeon for the first time. First party the healer and tank left instantly. Probably because it said a new player is running lol. 2nd party was great and helpful.

Everyone hates that dungeon :D

That time I got it 2 roulettes in a row I cursed the gods.

Aselith

No one should be dodging queuing with new players since you get a first time bonus probably just RL issues or just dodging that dungeon in general or something.

I usually ask that to decide on responsibility allotment. I mean, I wouldn't tell the new person to be on Leviathan's shield duty, for example. Also, the advice you could give a DPS and the advice you could give a tank are very different.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I very, very rarely encounter a party who identifies and kicks new people in DF. They're usually very helpful.

xezuru

Finally hit, ilvl 170 MNK on my game of catchup, should I even bother with the ex Primals and go straight to Alexander or what?

Also, haven't played since 2.0, anyone have crafting guides, I have CPT/CUL at 50 but want the next bang for buck crafting rotation skill.

SkyOdin

Everyone get's the message. But when I ask about new people, I am generally checking to see if the new people are 1) genuinely new and not just someone's alt, and 2) to see if they need me to explain boss mechanics for them. I don't want to waste time explaining if someone doesn't need it, but I will happily take the time to explain stuff to people who do.

To be honest, my biggest frustration is new players who don't speak up and ask for help. If you need help, ask. The majority of players I've seen are nice and willing to help. The people who are going to quit or kick you are the players you are better off not playing with in the first place, since they also tend to be the players who are the worst at what they do and are rude to everyone, new and old alike.

Generally speaking, rude players are not good players. You wouldn't believe how many times we wipe, someone gets angry and accusatory, only to leave, get replaced by someone polite, then we proceed to win flawlessly.

Zomba13

Everyone get's the message. But when I ask about new people, I am generally checking to see if the new people are 1) genuinely new and not just someone's alt, and 2) to see if they need me to explain boss mechanics for them. I don't want to waste time explaining if someone doesn't need it, but I will happily take the time to explain stuff to people who do.

To be honest, my biggest frustration is new players who don't speak up and ask for help. If you need help, ask. The majority of players I've seen are nice and willing to help. The people who are going to quit or kick you are the players you are better off not playing with in the first place, since they also tend to be the players who are the worst at what they do and are rude to everyone, new and old alike.

Generally speaking, rude players are not good players. You wouldn't believe how many times we wipe, someone gets angry and accusatory, only to leave, get replaced by someone polite, then we proceed to win flawlessly.

Exactly. When people are asking who is new, more often than not it's because they want to know if they need to explain anything. Some things are straight forward and can be beaten with the same old "don't stand in glowy shit", some things have a mechanic that require a marked player to do something. If you don't speak up and haven't watched a video or whatever before hand and then you end up getting marked or having to do something and don't do it you let the group down. Yeah, when someone is new it says and when I do stuff and am new, if it's a trial and I've watched a video I say how I'm new but have watched something to save people having to explain for me but if you are new and haven't seen anything please speak up. Much better to spend a minute or so explaining stuff at the start than possibly wiping and having people get mad at you because you didn't say you didn't know what to do.

Yeah, some times you get shitty pissy people who get mad at new people but it is their fault. They pick DF and join with randoms, they should be able to deal with it. They are free to make a premade.

Top Bottom