• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Soma

Didn't realize you could do Alexander via duty finder. Something tells me it might not be a good idea, since every time I queue up its with a group already in progress.

World of Darkness quickly taught me to not bother with the "join party in progress" option

Alex in the duty finder has been pretty good from my experience. Cleared floors 1-3 with only a couple wipes. I might've just gotten extremely lucky with groups though...

I'm afraid to go into floor 4 :(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
World of Darkness quickly taught me to not bother with the "join party in progress" option

Alex in the duty finder has been pretty good from my experience. Cleared floors 1-3 with only a couple wipes. I might've just gotten extremely lucky with groups though...

I'm afraid to go into floor 4 :(
I don't think I ever went to Alex normal with a party finder and I had maybe 2-3 abandons total, while being able to clear all floors on the day it was released.

Actually question, did you pay for a sub before previously or did you only play for the initial 30 days?

Thanks also :)

This is my first sub I was using the free 30 days up till now, I need to use FFXIV to cope with my creeping insanity waiting for Metal Gear Solid 5 to come out.

Squishy3

This is my first sub I was using the free 30 days up till now, I need to use FFXIV to cope with my creeping insanity waiting for Metal Gear Solid 5 to come out.
Lol I know the feeling, I was going to resub for the expac anyway but I resubbed early to give me something to do until The Witcher 3 came out and I've put maybe 15 hours into that since it came out. (Last time I played I just arrived at Novigrad)

Now I'm trying to finish Witcher 3 before MGSV comes out. Easier now since I beat Heavensward and only have to log in and cap out tomes for the week. :p

Lol I know the feeling, I was going to resub for the expac anyway but I resubbed early to give me something to do until The Witcher 3 came out and I've put maybe 15 hours into that since it came out. (Last time I played I just arrived at Novigrad)

Now I'm trying to finish Witcher 3 before MGSV comes out. Easier now since I beat Heavensward and only have to log in and cap out tomes for the week. :p

Lucky for me I beat Witcher 3 already, but I'm still very early in XIV, I only just hit lvl 50 and beat Ultima Weapon b4 my last sub ran out. So I have a LONG way to go before I even get to Heavensward content. Plus I'm still trying to get through some of my backlog too.

I wasn't aware of how WAR switched to most needed of the tanks until I got back so my desire and priorities for what to do at end game right now have changed somewhat. Just wanted to hear your opinions after perusing reddit about it.

Slightly (mostly) off topic, should I get my esoteric shield right now or just save for the chest plate? Feel like that vit boost from the chest is way more necessary than anything else and as tank I don't reeaaallllyyyy need the weapon until later.

Weapon. Damage is the paladins biggest struggle currently, and you'll appreciate the extra threat to hold off DPS with upgraded weapons.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You can easily clear Alex normal via DF groups now. It was a bit frustrating early on when people were just 170 and didn't know what to do but that has changed.

@Zocano, PLD is totally fine. You should get the weapon first and then the chest piece. I have a ilvl 190 PLD with 19k HP, should get to 20k with chest piece + a 200 fending ring.

@Hasemo, I hope you had fun yesterday with the Destiny weekly.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
M2VRQyt.jpg

Huh. So this happened.
Also finally cleared A2S. That turn is the worst garbage ever invented and folks with better progression wearing VIT-melded accs on healers don't exactly inspire much hope for tomorrow.

Valor

Huh. So this happened.
Also finally cleared A2S. That turn is the worst garbage ever invented and folks with better progression wearing VIT-melded accs on healers don't exactly inspire much hope for tomorrow.

Just look forward to all that sweet sweet junk in the trunk.

iammeiam

Huh. So this happened.

The best thing about A3S is that wipes happen super early. None of this pushing to wave 6 before it gets tough BS. Protean Wave! You're dead (this one isn't even really hard just super funny?). Hand of Prayer! You're Dead. Hand of Parting! You're dead! Hand of Pain! You're dead! Hand of thing again! You're dead! Tethers! lol tanks both one-shot you're so dead!

Then again I still like A2S so... I have weird fun.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The best thing about A3S is that wipes happen super early. None of this pushing to wave 6 before it gets tough BS. Protean Wave! You're dead (this one isn't even really hard just super funny?). Hand of Prayer! You're Dead. Hand of Parting! You're dead! Hand of Pain! You're dead! Hand of thing again! You're dead! Tethers! lol tanks both one-shot you're so dead!

That's probably because you're a bard.

WolvenOne

Well this is officially the week of, completing old 2.X goals. Titan Pony, Kiren, High Allagan Heavy Coat.

Now I just need to finish up A2 Savage and I can mark down this week as, I dunno, a red letter week or something.

I'm not tho

(It's really because I like strategizing and A2S is prime for coming up with weird ways to do things)

Which is actually probably why my group hasn't gone through this as fast. We're not great at strategy, so there's been a lot of trial and error. XD

how can anyone like anything that involves A2, normal or savage?

Eww.

The only way I can not hate my life doing A2 is by telling my group it's a good idea to put me in the Gobwalker and pulling away all the goblins they're trying to kill

Gold_Loot

how can anyone like anything that involves A2, normal or savage?

Eww.

The only way I can not hate my life doing A2 is by telling my group it's a good idea to put me in the Gobwalker and pulling away all the goblins they're trying to kill
A2 was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Valor

Everyone busy capping all those weeklies!

No more time for OT drama.

Something something machinist sucks something something best tank is DRK.

A2 is really lazy. Just a repeat of T4 with someone put in a mount for added hilarity.
Honestly this is an insult to T4. A2 doesn't feel like it has as much strategy as T4 did because of the sheer amount of waves and adds. The tachikoma is pretty cool and it does add a bit to it but... yeah. I dunno. I don't mind a trash rush turn like T4 but it doesn't feel as well thought out (in normal mode anyway)

scy

Honestly this is an insult to T4. A2 doesn't feel like it has as much strategy as T4 did because of the sheer amount of waves and adds.

I missed T4 when it was a thing but even reading through / listening to talks about what it was like, A2S is really a lot more complex of a fight. T4 seems absolutely brain dead in comparison in terms of optimization you can do.

But, yeah, A2N kind of is ... a whatever junky fight? There's things to it but most people don't catch the mechanics since most of them don't actually matter in there.

So I installed Windows 10 at launch and everything was fine and dandy but earlier in the week FFXIV would crash as soon as I hit "Play" from the Launcher. I ended up deleting and redownloading everything again, which fixed it... for 24 hours. Now it's doing it again and I really don't want to download 12gbs of updates again.

So fucking annoying.

I dunno if it's cause I'm not a native english speaker but I want to shoot myself every time Urianger says something. It's never interesting dialogue and a total pain to read. And most of all certainly not ''funny'' if that's what they were going for.

To be fair I have no idea what they were going for.

I dunno if it's cause I'm not a native english speaker but I want to shoot myself every time Urianger says something. It's never interesting dialogue and a total pain to read. And most of all certainly not ''funny'' if that's what they were going for.

To be fair I have no idea what they were going for.
Thoust must agree.

aceface

Reading this makes me think that with the way all i210 gear is locked behind raiding (hunts already dead again rip) and how A3s and A4s seem to be an order of magnitude more difficult than the first two floors, they really wanted the high end raid to last awhile this time. I wonder if they will even introduce echo for savage since everyone got to see the story in normal mode. I think it would be a good way to make up for the fact that seeing the cutscenes and battles is open to everyone now from day 1. Having i210 gear and especially a weapon would be a real accomplishment with no echo. I imagine the whining on the official forums about not being to obtain that gear would be off the charts though.

iammeiam

Honestly this is an insult to T4. A2 doesn't feel like it has as much strategy as T4 did because of the sheer amount of waves and adds. The tachikoma is pretty cool and it does add a bit to it but... yeah. I dunno. I don't mind a trash rush turn like T4 but it doesn't feel as well thought out (in normal mode anyway)

A2N vs A2S is basically story mode primal vs EX. There are mechanics in normal that I don't think anybody realized existed until Savage.

By the time I hit T4, everyone did it the exact same time every way and that was boring. A2S was fun because we had like... one visual guide of how and where to tank each thing, hit a bunch of spots where it just didn't work for us (we totally didn't understand the suicide soldier mechanic forever because lolbad), and so came up with changes in how we handle it to stop wiping.

At least to me, it was sort of a nice change from the 'normal' fight in which there's like... one or two ways in which to do a thing, and once you've decided on which one you're doing it's just mindless pew pew. A3S is ridiculous right now, but once it's a farm thing I think it's going to just be doing the same dance every time. We do A2S wave 5 weird, our wave 6 kill order is weird, our quad doll positioning is sort of weird... A2S is also the one I think will be the most interesting to mess with going forward. And once overgearing kicks in it's going to be hilarious.

Reading this makes me think that with the way all i210 gear is locked behind raiding (hunts already dead again rip) and how A3s and A4s seem to be an order of magnitude more difficult than the first two floors, they really wanted the high end raid to last awhile this time. I wonder if they will even introduce echo for savage since everyone got to see the story in normal mode. I think it would be a good way to make up for the fact that seeing the cutscenes and battles is open to everyone now from day 1. Having i210 gear and especially a weapon would be a real accomplishment with no echo. I imagine the whining on the official forums about not being to obtain that gear would be off the charts though.

I'd expect to see/hope to see the upgrade items added to the 24-man and hunts in 3.1. I do think there's a real chance that Alex Savage will end up like Savage SCoB and not be random DFable ever, and the Gordian gear (and so overall 3.0 BiS) remains sort of locked away, but I think making i210 accessible to everyone is kind of an important/smart component of the vertical gear progression (especially since this time it's AF gear.) Basically making it so that missing a raid cycle doesn't put you 10 ilevels behind for the next one.

aceface

That's true, I forgot that they will probably put the upgrade items in the 24 man raid. They could still lock away the higher level Gordian stuff behind savage with no echo though.

Sifl

Do you have a chance at getting grade 5 materia by converting ilevel 150 gear? Considering converting my gathering gear.

Sifl

No, afaik you can only get grade 5 right now by transmuting four grade 4's at mutamix (<10% chance)
Ive been trying that, but I was hoping for some guaranteed grade 5 gathering materia, bummer. I know if I eventually get one, it's gonna be a element materia.

WTFast didn't really help but it seems Pingzapper has improved my latency with this game, mudras even come out at a decent rate now! Back to gearing nin for Alex savage...=X

Squishy3

The cap is so looooow. Reach it in a day, spend the rest of the week wondering what to do with myself.
i'm also trying to beat witcher 3 so i just log in and do expert and trial roulette on my main and leveling roulette on my pld and then log out, so i spend maybe 2 and a half hours a day playing instead of staying up until 3am playing it

also have gotten neverreap everyday on my ex roulette and i never want to see it again. at least i feel like a cool guy being able to tank the final boss since the tanks keep dcing during the fight

chrono01

today i'm doing alex 4 times to cap out my esoterics because i never want to see neverreap again
I get Neverreap 4 times out of 5. I hate that place. HATE IT!

It's not that it's long or anything, it's just not fun. All of the bosses there are basically anti-BLM. The first boss continually phases out, and you need to run/track him down [which will likely cause Enochian to fall off]. The second boss, unless you're allowed to be lazy and let everyone else move the totems out of the AOE, is just as frustrating, although you can plan around it to keep Enochian up [you probably won't be able to do your full rotations, though]. The last boss, though. THE LAST BOSS! I'm a pretty patient guy, but that encounter breaks me. Tornadoes, a boss that tracks and charges through you as well as constantly becoming immune, knockbacks, etc. Please make it stop.

This is me, anytime Neverreap pops as my daily dungeon.

Trx8aKs.gif

Top Bottom