• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Welp, realize I was a bit of a dumb dumb when I started selling stuff... Thankfully, before I sold some tier 4 material, I decided to take a look at the market board prices to see how it differentiated from the default it said it sold at. And, uh... yeah, massive difference. For whatever reason, I thought the default price it gave was some sort of average based on what the item was selling at. NOPE! Almost sold tier 4 material for like 800 gill, when in reality it's going for like 80k gill on the market board. Many of the materials I was selling was the same way. Luckily I rectified that now, and will probably look at prices before selling material or HQ mats. Whoops!

Welp, realize I was a bit of a dumb dumb when I started selling stuff... Thankfully, before I sold some tier 4 material, I decided to take a look at the market board prices to see how it differentiated from the default it said it sold at. And, uh... yeah, massive difference. For whatever reason, I thought the default price it gave was some sort of average based on what the item was selling at. NOPE! Almost sold tier 4 material for like 800 gill, when in reality it's going for like 80k gill on the market board. Many of the materials I was selling was the same way. Luckily I rectified that now, and will probably look at prices before selling material or HQ mats. Whoops!

lol

Was gonna start doing EX primals in the DF until I saw that DF time for EX Garuda were more than 30 minutes.

Wow, guess people don't do EX primals anymore, or at least not in DF.

Aselith

Totally get that ^^ but sometimes people price things well below that equilibrium. Sometimes things are selling at a good clip for a certain price and someone drops it 30/40%. Volume doesn't increase but that sets the new price and everyone scrambles to match. I'm just waiting for the inevitable correction because who is wasting their time with it I'm not sure.

Now we know what's going on!
happytears.gif

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Really struggling with A2S for some reason. Always feels like the tanks are more squishy than what they look like in videos.

I'm bad at this game.

Kudo

I don't know if there is any patterns but sometimes I feel like in A2S the Boomcannon does really random damage, from 1 to 15k.
Usually get to the wave with 4 Snipers, 2 Hardminds and from last wave 2 Jagd Dolls alive, I guess that's the second last one?

BadRNG

I don't know if there is any patterns but sometimes I feel like in A2S the Boomcannon does really random damage, from 1 to 15k.
Usually get to the wave with 4 Snipers, 2 Hardminds and from last wave 2 Jagd Dolls alive, I guess that's the second last one?
Boomcanon/Prey damage is based on how much HP you have, the less you have at the end of cast the more damage it does. At full hp it only does 1. As far as I can tell damage reduction cooldowns don't work on it either, it's just a "can healers top you off before cast is done?" check.

It's a hardhelm and a hardmind I think but nitpicks aside yes, that is the 8th/second to last wave.

Audioboxer

Happens to most at some point when new or inexperienced with auction houses lol. 800 vs 80k gil is painful though!

Did to me in WoW a few times. Haven't jumped into the FF14 auction market yet other than one or two buys. I still haven't spent time to understand retainers and auctions. Just dumped a lot of stock one the one retainer I created.

IvorB

Did to me in WoW a few times. Haven't jumped into the FF14 auction market yet other than one or two buys. I still haven't spent time to understand retainers and auctions. Just dumped a lot of stock one the one retainer I created.

I don't think there is any auction. It's just a market place.

PepperedHam

Finished the 2.5/2.55 story quests last night. Played through 2.1-2.5 one a day throughout the week and wow I'm actually a bit blown away. The beginning wasn't bad but damn I loved 2.3-2.5. Loved every minute of the ending cutscene sequences of 2.5. I'm very excited to start Heavensward.

bodine1231

I bought FF14 on PS4 when it came out and played a few hours and stopped. I'm probably gonna reroll and start over (didnt play that much only to lvl 9) since I dont remember anything. Can I just mainline the original game up to Heavensward without doing much side stuff? Also,whats a fun solo class?

I bought FF14 on PS4 when it came out and played a few hours and stopped. I'm probably gonna reroll and start over (didnt play that much only to lvl 9) since I dont remember anything. Can I just mainline the original game up to Heavensward without doing much side stuff? Also,whats a fun solo class?

Towards the end of the 2.0 content, you're really gonna have to grind out some levels with dungeons/Fates, but other than that for the most part you're solid to do just the mainline story stuff.

Even though you can't always play the game solo because of the dungeons/trials you're gonna have to do, any DPS class works fine to play solo for most of it. I play Archer/Bard because Bard the best.

Sifl

I know people in here keep vouching that there are helpful people, but I seem to keep running into assholes. I was doing a facility run for law tomes (I know this isn't optimal) and when we got to the second phase of the last boss, the healer randomly says "I don't like you btw, so you better be good at dodging" and she didn't heal me once during this fight. Wtf is wrong with people who play this game?

WolvenOne

What? Wave 6? How the hell do you handle it?

Virus on the 2nd Gobwidow the moment the first falls, followed by any other damage debuffs we'very got on hand. It keeps the MT alive long enough for the 2nd healer to get into the swing of things.

Not gonna lie though, that transition point is terrifying.

bodine1231

Do you have to buy the expansion to get the double exp from story quests? I also bought the PS4 version,can I download the pc and log in to that too? Or will I have to buy the PC version as well.

suzu

I know people in here keep vouching that there are helpful people, but I seem to keep running into assholes. I was doing a facility run for law tomes (I know this isn't optimal) and when we got to the second phase of the last boss, the healer randomly says "I don't like you btw, so you better be good at dodging" and she didn't heal me once during this fight. Wtf is wrong with people who play this game?

Wow, I haven't met that many players like that. You must be really unlucky or something. D:

I had a healer call me dumb for the first time the other night, but they were completely right because I was standing in the damaging wind in snowcloak and taking damage without realizing it :p

I just apologized and it was all good again, even got commendations from everyone in the party for some weird reason. Never happened to me before, especially as a DPS. That person sounds like a legit asshole though. You shouldn't be a healer if you're not gonna play your job just because you don't like someone. I would've reported them.

Ken

Did you have a weird name or are a popoto.

PepperedHam

The game has just as many bad apples as any MMO. It's unavoidable in a game like this, and it may come down to being unlucky but there are plenty of them.

Last night I had a healer whose res chat macro said "Casting Raise on "so and so" please stop sucking : /"

Omni

Did you do something? I've ran into quite a few arseholes but find it hard to believe someone would just say that randomly.

I know as a healer, sometimes when a DPS is taking a LOT of damage, it's simply not possible to keep up with when the tank is doing the same. Several occasions on big pulls I've had to consciously let a DPS die in order to keep everyone else going. Maybe that was it?

Sifl

Did you have a weird name or are a popoto.
No I wasn't one of w/e those pudgy things are called, lol. I also did report them and a GM contacted me ingame. I asked them after I re-explained what happened to drop the report. I felt petty as fuck when I reported it, and people have done/said worse. I just got frustrated because it was really random, nothing had gone wrong up to this point.

dramatis

There's a slew of quick bit articles about FF14 up at NovaCrystallis, but this is the one:

GC 2015: New attractions coming to Final Fantasy XIV gold saucer, including flight challenges
We even had plans for a mini game in 3.0, where you had to find rings in the game world with your flying chocobo within one minute to claim a reward. Back then we hadn’t the costs and resources to do it, but currently the level design team is working on finalizing it.

Guys, are you ready for Superman 14? lol

aceface

How about this one

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/08/gc-2015-new-quest-types-coming-to-final-fantasy-xiv/

There are two points to improve for side quests: First of all, you need to assign a proper story to that side quest. We also want to add more variation to the side quests.

For example, you may need to find the highest building an an area and jump off from the top if it. Or you need to carry a certain item and secretly sneak into a building without being noticed by anyone.

YoshiP with his finger on the pulse of the community.

Zocano

I've come back from like a year and a half break and got my pally to 60 yesterday. Seems like general MTs have switched to warriors, should that be my priority instead? I pretty much play exclusively for end game raiding if that's necessary to know.

hamchan

No I wasn't one of w/e those pudgy things are called, lol. I also did report them and a GM contacted me ingame. I asked them after I re-explained what happened to drop the report. I felt petty as fuck when I reported it, and people have done/said worse. I just got frustrated because it was really random, nothing had gone wrong up to this point.

Don't know why you would drop the report. Bad people should get punished.

Ken

I've come back from like a year and a half break and got my pally to 60 yesterday. Seems like general MTs have switched to warriors, should that be my priority instead? I pretty much play exclusively for end game raiding if that's necessary to know.

Paladin is fine for raiding. Maybe less desirable now than DRK/WAR but they still work, if that's what you're asking.

Zocano

Paladin is fine for raiding. Maybe less desirable now than DRK/WAR but they still work, if that's what you're asking.

Pretty anal about being optimal when it comes to group activities and from what I've read warrior has much needed dps over the other two while pally is still the best at just straight tanking.

Just from what I've read on here and Reddit since I was researching the same thing between Paladin and Dark Knight...

The general trend now is all three tanks are viable, but in Savage Alex damage is at a premium. As such, some cutting edge groups are using Dark Knight as MT and Warrior as OT. Warrior damage is so awesome right now they are basically an extra DPS. Dark Knights do strong damage as MT and also have a cooldown that mitigates 30% magic damage which is great in the current end game raid. Paladins are being used as MT for the second floor since it's heavy physical damage, but they weren't the progression tank of choice.

Floor 1: DRK as MT, WAR as OT
Floor 2: PLD as MT, WAR as OT
Floor 3: DRK as MT, WAR as OT
Floor 4: I don't know

Now that damage classes have their weapon upgrades, I think it's not as important for the tank to push out as much damage, but it's something to consider. Warriors are definitely the "lock" for their OT ability and crazy damage, so you can't go wrong there. The other spot seems to change based on the fight.

Ultimately, you'll be fine playing whatever you prefer. I'm leveling both Paladin and Dark Knight for end game flexibility. I also prefer DRK for roulette and DF stuff, as well as farming. I imagine over geared groups might also want the higher damage tanks to speed stuff up. What I don't know is the trade off gained by letting your healers do more damage with a paladin mitigating more damage.

The next dungeon might be all physical damage again putting paladins back in the driver seat, so play what you like I say.

Ken

Pretty anal about being optimal when it comes to group activities and from what I've read warrior has much needed dps over the other two while pally is still the best at just straight tanking.

WAR has the permanent slot but both PLD/DRK work in the other slot.

Zocano

I wasn't aware of how WAR switched to most needed of the tanks until I got back so my desire and priorities for what to do at end game right now have changed somewhat. Just wanted to hear your opinions after perusing reddit about it.

Slightly (mostly) off topic, should I get my esoteric shield right now or just save for the chest plate? Feel like that vit boost from the chest is way more necessary than anything else and as tank I don't reeaaallllyyyy need the weapon until later.

Sifl

Didn't realize you could do Alexander via duty finder. Something tells me it might not be a good idea, since every time I queue up its with a group already in progress.

Top Bottom