• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

tried some healing in.....titan hm. i didn't think it was possible, but that totally felt like early titan hm. cleared it with 3 or 4 people standing. it was amazing and actually fun. i miss early titan clusterfucks.

also how many wow players actually switched to XIV. it feels like i'm truly helping total newcomers out in these roulettes recently....

i think this answers my question.

Yeah, I get the impression that there are a lot of new players right now.

Alrus

...what? After the first run, The Vault is basically Unisom in dungeon form until the last boss. Something about the architecture, lighting, and enemies just knocks me out.

I just like the bosses more, even if they're not particularly special. I find NR's bosses to be really boring both in look and encounter design. They also at least felt a bit challenging as a fresh 57 healer (even as a fresh 60, the NR bosses don't require much healing at all).

I love of the Vault's look in general, meanwhile NR kind of feels like Hullbreaker in the clouds. Which is pretty boring too.

PS: I don't really get the Neverreap hate. The Tornado's are kinda annoying, but the place really isn't any longer than Fractal, and most the bosses/pulls are pretty easy. Only part you really need to be careful on is the pulls with the Bee's, seeing as if you pull too much the DPS might not be able to get the Bee's down before Final Sting. With sufficiently good DPS or smart pulling however, that part's still easy.

People don't hate on NR because it's hard (it's really not indeed), but because it's boring. It feels long even though it isn't.

WolvenOne

Eh, you can do big pulls of the areas between the bosses and shorten the feel down considerably. Also if you feel it's too easy to heal up the party, clearly your tanks aren't spending enough time in DPS stance. XD

WolvenOne

For me personally, I don't think he's too wrong. Alex Normal's shine wore off a week or two ago, and there isn't much Savage pugging on Ultros.

Bit of an issue with Alexander Savage's design if you ask me. I mean, A1S and A2S will probably be perfectly pug-able once the average player is geared up to a certain point. From the looks of it, it'll be a loooooong time before 3 and 4 are pugable though.

The difference is rather stark actually. But, eh, suppose there doesn't need to be middle-tier versions of every piece of content, just like not every piece of content needs a savage mode version.

Ken

Bit of an issue with Alexander Savage's design if you ask me. I mean, A1S and A2S will probably be perfectly pug-able once the average player is geared up to a certain point. From the looks of it, it'll be a loooooong time before 3 and 4 are pugable though.

The difference is rather stark actually. But, eh, suppose there doesn't need to be middle-tier versions of every piece of content, just like not every piece of content needs a savage mode version.

Ultros community is really slow and small. Majority of PFs I've seen are still BisEX, RavEX, FATEs, or Savage recruitment. I've only seen one A3S pug/fun group so far.

WolvenOne

Ultros community is really slow and small. Majority of PFs I've seen are still BisEX, RavEX, FATEs, or Savage recruitment. I've only seen one A3S pug/fun group so far.

Ultros's progression community is small, I don't think the whole of the community itself is small. A lot of the people that care about progression the most simply transfer to other servers often.

Personally if I cared more I'd probably have done the same thing, but I care more about the journey rather than how quickly I can get to the destination. So long as my group is having fun and things don't get too stressful, I'm good.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Ultros's progression community is small, I don't think the whole of the community itself is small. A lot of the people that care about progression the most simply transfer to other servers often.

I think this is a big part of it. If you really have your heart set on some serious progression, think about getting off Ultros and hop on somewhere like Excalibur, Gilgamesh, Sargatanas, or maybe Hyperion or Leviathan. If the writing is on the wall that there are slim pickings for pugs, or a particular server's community just isn't all that into raiding why make yourself miserable waiting for something that may never happen? Just bite the bullet and hop servers. An old guildy dumped Ultros for Excalibur and went from scraping to get groups for second coil to pushing hard into Alex Savage. Sometimes folks need to make that step if they want to push that content.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Picked up the base game over the weekend and kinda enjoying it, Although it's certainly confusing.

Trying to get onto the Tonberry server which is proving to be impossible, Mostly since it seems to be the unofficial aussie server and being from Australia, It seems like the best choice.

Figured I would mess around with some of the classes on other servers while I attempt the waiting game. Tried conjurer as I had played a priest healer in WoW for many years. It seemed OK, But I did get tired of throwing rocks pretty quickly. I switched to a pugilist as I wanted to try a melee DPS class (original in WoW was a rogue) which seems to be more enjoyable. I've hit level 13 and I'm trying to hold off doing anymore since I will need to start all over again once I get on to Tonberry.

Overall, It's an interesting MMO. There's certainly a lot of stuff i'm missing, I haven't picked up any jobs/professions and for the most part i've just been running around killing things and questing. Not a huge fan of the map as it just feels completely confusing.

Tabris

I'm not joking, game is dead. Expansion shine wore off before early access ended.

If you don't like PVP and/or Savage, not sure why you're playing right now.

To run the 2 dungeons over and over? To do FATE's for hours? I guess there's crafting - but to make gil for what?

IvorB

Is Ultros community really that bad now? I always see people around and I'm not even in HW stuff.

No, in terms of raw population it's busier than I've ever seen it. Whether those people are the right people for you depends on what you are looking for.

aceface

S9VUyiS.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Primal Immortal Flames are pretty bad, I commend those who can get wins with them because I'm really really lucky to get a win. Close to 30 matches this week and only 3 wins to show for it...
Yeah it's pretty bad if you solo queue for seal rock, luckily we have a good sized pvp flame community in ultros so I just jump on the premade groups whenever I get a chance.

r54dUIn.png

And since it's a premade, even when we don't win it's fun cause there's a sense of community that you don't get when you solo queue.

iammeiam

Those healers trying to dps while people are dying...

Bleeding-edge progression, though. Healer DPS in Savage isn't optional. It's not something they can stop doing to heal everyone up, and a large part of healing A4S right now is going to be the struggle between healing and DPSing. If they don't DPS, everyone dies. Keeping everyone alive to see enrage doesn't do much good if you're just going to... keep seeing enrage. Pure heal bombing just won't cut it.

xezuru

I have all crafters atleast level 15, my crp and cul on the other hand are 50 from what I used to play.

What crafter should I level next if I were aiming for a pure better skill rotation?
On the more utility side, been thinking of leveling Alchemy for str pot raid access.

In vanilla, I remember a crafting/leave guide for leveling, anyone have something like that?

Bleeding-edge progression, though. Healer DPS in Savage isn't optional. It's not something they can stop doing to heal everyone up, and a large part of healing A4S right now is going to be the struggle between healing and DPSing. If they don't DPS, everyone dies. Keeping everyone alive to see enrage doesn't do much good if you're just going to... keep seeing enrage. Pure heal bombing just won't cut it.
Yea that's what keeps going through my head that this is bleeding edge, but it still makes my toes curl to see the MT at 1000 HP and both healers are still in Cleric stance.

Yeah it's pretty bad if you solo queue for seal rock, luckily we have a good sized pvp flame community in ultros so I just jump on the premade groups whenever I get a chance.

r54dUIn.png

And since it's a premade, even when we don't win it's fun cause there's a sense of community that you don't get when you solo queue.

cuc

Killthee

I have all crafters atleast level 15, my crp and cul on the other hand are 50 from what I used to play.

What crafter should I level next if I were aiming for a pure better skill rotation?
On the more utility side, been thinking of leveling Alchemy for str pot raid access.

In vanilla, I remember a crafting/leave guide for leveling, anyone have something like that?
CUL to lv 37 for Steady Hand 2, WVR to 50 for Careful Synthesis 2, ALC to 50 for Comfort Zone, CUL/GSM to 54 for Muscle Memory/Maker's Mark (Maker's Mark is the better move out of the 2 for lv 60 recipes, Muscle is good enough for everything below lv 60 2 star recipes).

As for a guide, not sure how accurate it is now but here's a link: http://www.ffxivguild.com/category/disciples-of-hand/

Also don't forget GC turn ins, Ixali dailies, and FC Workshop crafting.

Kanra

So GAF, I just got this game! First MMO, so it's a bit overwhelming, but I'm a lv. 2 archer still learning the simple stuff. I think once I start to understand the basics, I'll join the GAF guild! If anyone wants to be friends my PSN is Kanra12.

So my friend bought the base game and is just using the free 30 days with it. Can he still use a referral when he buys time to get rewards? Or since he already made an account, is it to late?

Killthee

So my friend bought the base game and is just using the free 30 days with it. Can he still use a referral when he buys time to get rewards? Or since he already made an account, is it to late?
He can use it anytime before he buys game time. So give him your code before he adds any paid game time.

dcye

Grats. We hit the final wave today, had our BLM die twice in the last two phases which ruined the attempt and we hit the enrage with two tanks left. Will be down this week.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If you don't like PVP and/or Savage, not sure why you're playing right now.

To run the 2 dungeons over and over? To do FATE's for hours? I guess there's crafting - but to make gil for what?

To be ready for the next wave of crafting? To buy houses in Ishgard when those become a thing? Scoop all the Lesser Pandas on the server?

Orcastar

Tried doing Ex DR last night and ended up in the Fractal Continuum with a group composed of an astrologist and two black mages (I was tanking as a dark knight). After two wipes on the first boss, the astrologist leaves and one of the black mages accuses me of being "just too squishy", and adds that he's played a lot of end-game content with the astrologist before so the wipes obviously weren't his fault. This is followed by a vote abandon. Sure my DRK ilvl is only 160 atm, but surely that should be more than enough for FC and NR? Never heard any complaints from healers before.

The whole thing made me realise that over the course of playing for about a year as SMN, WHM and DRK, I've had very few bad experiences in dungeons in this game. Not sure if that means that most of the content is just really easy or if the community is just good at the game, but there you go.

Anyway, immediately re-entered the roulette and got into the Fractal Continuum again, this time with a white mage, a summoner and a dragoon. Whole thing went smoothly and I ended up getting two commendations.

Ken

When does maintenance end? 2 hours from now?

Also reading the OF for this game constantly reminds me that giant .gif signatures is still a thing.

Top Bottom