• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Jayhawk

I wonder how the FFXIV booth at TGS this year will compare to last year's other than au ra cosplays I won't be able to take pictures of.

iammeiam

Why are you still here!?

Transfixed by the horrific mental image of some girl made up like a dragon girl waifu toting a real-life recreation of the Berimbau monstrosity. And then whipping out another, separate harp to take play Ballad because this game is terrible.

Also work 2 boring.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Transfixed by the horrific mental image of some girl made up like a dragon girl waifu toting a real-life recreation of the Berimbau monstrosity. And then whipping out another, separate harp to take play Ballad because this game is terrible.

Also work 2 boring.

Berimbau and hats are like the only reason to play BRD though!

thefil

FC got Titan Ex down to <10% yesterday. At this point we're just losing because we have to get a tank and a DPS from DF and keep getting people who don't know the fight.

So excited to have this defeated.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

The "let's sing high hymns Yoshi-P" narrative is pretty hilarious all things considered. They're so attentive, so pro-player! But making a TP bar display takes two years which should've been something fixed in beta of ARR. I mean, somebody in the design team thought that we'd really need to see the MP of the monk in the party. Or how sometimes their claims just go completely against what they're trying to do game design-wise (crafting?) or are able to do because of reasons (housing?).

According to reddit, not being able to control abilities of your class is what constitutes fun. Well, it's not. The problems with AST begin from the word go, it's a class that would benefit from taking it all the way back to the drawing board and coming up with better mechanics, and it's telling that impressions range from "It's okay that Draw is RNG because it's mostly flavor" to "Let's buff Draw real hard" from the same group of people. One suggestion I hear from time to time is that cards need to be buffed so that whatever you get benefit would be higher than normal, and it might sound sensible; but in reality it will lead to "AST didn't draw Ewer, we gotta wipe!" and standing in front of the boss for dozens of minutes until you finally draw the extended Balance combination for the openers. As long as RNG is what controls one of the main functions of the class (and it has five abilities dedicated just to the Draw mechanic) it will continue to feel feeble and unhelpful.

I'm not bitter, no. Maybe a little.

Kanra

Welcome to Eorzea! The game usually takes its time to explain all the most important things to new players, so you should be fine as long as you read all the help messages :)
Are you still in your free 30 days? If yes, might I be able to interest you in a friend referal code? It gives you some useful goodies if you should decide to buy a sub in the future.

Yes, I should still be in my free 30 day's. I plan to get a sub from amazon when I'm get close to the end of my sub, and I'll take you up on that offer:).

Frumix letting out the frustrations of all we bullied ASTs. :')

I admit I do still hate the feeling of the ASTs, in 8 man content, being more of a EMT and tries to keep people alive until the doctor, SCH/WHM, does their thing.

WolvenOne

So, 3.1 Part 1 preview is during the 14 hour long livestream, and part 2 is at the Tokyo Game Show. So, late September at the soonest, early to mid October is somewhat more likely. Won't pretend that I wouldn't be thrilled to have it sooner, but that's not too bad.

Tash

Female Au Ra Bard. {Can I have it?}

Close enough
Gkaoo4D.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Au ra are the worst group. We are going to be stuck with this being our only new race for 2 years ;_;

Potatoes, you are officially not the worst any longer.

xezuru

As someone who pressed through turn 1-5 coils when it was server firsts era / prenerfish, the end game gear farm ideals from 2.0 are fine, in 3.0 however they tried to stretch everything from the old template out as much as they could. Originally it was the same, Philosophy and Myth tomes with exact same exchange rates to gear, 2 dungeons to farm them at the time, but knowing that, once you were farmed out in phil gear, you were pretty much near-raid capable, albeit only entry. In 3.0, you have to farm twice as hard for law gear, but then UPGRADE it, and still be sub sub par and need 75% alexander easy gear to savage. I have never been a fan of easy mode dungeons, and having to farm the simple mode of the same content just makes the farm stretch feel that much more drudging.

scy

After actually sitting through all of their emotes, I can safely say that Au Ra are indeed entirely too animu.

obligatory /panic

yeah. the main thing I'm trying to avoid is a server transfer. I think ultimately I'm going to have to make the decision at some point to either transfer servers or give up on raiding. not at that stage yet though.

If you really really want to raid, you're gonna have to change servers most likely. Ultros is very east coast dominant and it's pretty tough finding raid groups if you're EU or don't play during primetime much. I speak from experience

WolvenOne

This is just lying. Where's the gif Red made? Lala /mdance is still the best thing this game has produced. It beats out Amon's Hat, even.

What if they made the Amon hat glow? Amon Hat Zenith?

BTW: is the Moonfire Faire housing item worth the trouble? So far the vanity gear isn't terribly appealing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
After actually sitting through all of their emotes, I can safely say that Au Ra are indeed entirely too animu.

obligatory /panic

Their /panic is like a faster version of Miqo'te /panic though?
Honestly they act more like Japanese girls on television rather than in anime.
...I watched entirely too much Japanese television.

Could someone explain the changes made to relic weapons that people are going on about, or link me to details? I returned after a few months and am somewhat out of the loop. I never took my weapon past Zenith because I had a raid weapon and not enough time to waste grinding. Is there an easy way to catch it up now?

Also, will any of the old relic stuff be required for the new chapter in 3.1 or is that from scratch?

Sorry if this is commonly asked, it's hard to get up to speed after so long.

Alrus

Could someone explain the changes made to relic weapons that people are going on about, or link me to details? I returned after a few months and am somewhat out of the loop. I never took my weapon past Zenith because I had a raid weapon and not enough time to waste grinding. Is there an easy way to catch it up now?

Also, will any of the old relic stuff be required for the new chapter in 3.1 or is that from scratch?

Sorry if this is commonly asked, it's hard to get up to speed after so long.

They shortened each steps. So the you'll get atma from fates much faster (still RNG so it might still take some times), the book step take less time now I think (fate spawn rates have increased, and you need to kill less monsters), alex are a breeze (you get 5 per alex maps and the drop rate from fate has been greatly increased), light farming has been quadrupled (I think) since the original step, and so on... Still takes a while but it's much faster (and cheaper) than it was before.

I think it's been said that you get a slight advantage for the new relic if you completed your 2.0 relic but we don't really know more.

Tabris

You look like a stable boy. Are you sure you weren't the one that gave me the quest to teach my chocobo how to fly?

A stable boy? First, my character looks like 40 years old. Second, he looks like the Sultana Guards guarding somewhere in Ul'Dah. Get your facts right :p

Also, please, I saw your character fanning that Lalafell in Costa Del Sol.

Tiops

Really enjoying playing as a Lala. People hug and pet you a lot, it's interesting. And the "Doze" animation while sitting is the best.

And when you get a people that dislikes lala on DF, you can just spam the "Happy" emote to keep screaming nonstop until they stop hating on you.

Unrelated complaint: Yesterday I ran into a Ninja that really thought he was Naruto. He kept running ALL THE TIME during the dungeons, circling the enemies while hitting them, and showing everyone how awesome his run animation is with his daggers out.

I also noticed that he didn't use Aeolian Edge at all. I think it's because it's a DPS loss when you're cosplaying Naruto and you're never behind the enemy to get the rear bonus. But I didn't even bother to ask why he was doing that...

Sorian

Banned
A stable boy? First, my character looks like 40 years old. Second, he looks like the Sultana Guards guarding somewhere in Ul'Dah. Get your facts right :p

Also, please, I saw your character fanning that Lalafell in Costa Del Sol.

Hey, it's alright, some people just don't get their life together when they are younger so they end up 40 years old and feeding the chocobos.

And no, Gegeruju can't afford my prices.

Leunam

Unrelated complaint: Yesterday I ran into a Ninja that really thought he was Naruto. He kept running ALL THE TIME during the dungeons, circling the enemies while hitting them, and showing everyone how awesome his run animation is with his daggers out.

Is moving around like that a DPS loss as well? I saw someone doing that the other day and it annoyed me but I wasn't sure if it actually affected his damage.

Tiops

Is moving around like that a DPS loss as well? I saw someone doing that the other day and it annoyed me but I wasn't sure if it actually affected his damage.
It depends on how you're moving. If you're moving from flank to rear to get your bonus damage from correct positioning, you're doing your job correctly. If you move in circles for no reason, you're probably missing the positional bonus and losing a lot of damage. Even more if you just circle around the enemy without facing him, as you won't even auto-attack.

Ideally, you want to move as little as possible, and only between flank and rear. You just move around more when you need to dodge stuff or do specific mechanics.

If you keep facing the monsters and as long as you're in the right position when using skills with positional requirements(which ninjas have only a few of), then it doesn't really affect anything. If you're just running around throwing shurikens and a few attacks here and there though, it's extremely inefficient. Then again most ninjas I see leveling are completely awful and just do 1 2 3 with aeolian and spam Raiton if they use ninjutsus at all. Though this is really every class.

Tiops

If you keep facing the monsters and as long as you're in the right position when using skills with positional requirements(which ninjas have only a few of), then it doesn't really affect anything. If you're just running around throwing shurikens and a few attacks here and there though, it's extremely inefficient. Then again most ninjas I see leveling are completely awful and just do 1 2 3 with aeolian and spam Raiton if they use ninjutsus at all. Though this is really every class.
There are levels of acceptable in DF. I don't get bothered by people that are doing half of the expected DPS. But when you're a Ninja that's generating less aggro than the Astrologian that just stays there healing the tank, not even bothering to throw a damage dealing skill once in a while, I wonder what is wrong about you.

Tabris

There are levels of acceptable in DF. I don't get bothered by people that are doing half of the expected DPS. But when you're a Ninja that's generating less aggro than the Astrologian that just stays there healing the tank, not even bothering to throw a damage dealing skill once in a while, I wonder what is wrong about you.

I'll let you add the bolded together for your answer.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So I have this Madman's Whispering Rod that I use to glamour whatever WHM Rod I don't like and I noticed that now it has fungus, but prior to this it was blooming. I can't seem to find any thing online about this, so I was wondering if there are certain things that cause it to have different effects. Weather maybe?

neoemonk

What is the state of DRK tanking right now? I played for a few weeks after launch and got my DRK to 50 and am thinking of coming back and tanking my way to 60. When I stopped playing there was talk that DRK was the crappiest tank.

Tabris

What is the state of DRK tanking right now? I played for a few weeks after launch and got my DRK to 50 and am thinking of coming back and tanking my way to 60. When I stopped playing there was talk that DRK was the crappiest tank.

Right now it's WAR >>> DRK > PLD

The damage output from DRK makes up for it's lack of physical defence cooldowns.

But it also depends on your healers.

Sorian

Banned
lol, this community sometimes. The tank with the best cooldowns and the only ability in the game that makes them 100% invulnerable is the weakest tank? Ok.

DPS isn't everything.

iammeiam

DRK in 1,3, PLD in 2, lol doesn't matter you're gonna die in 4 probably. WAR forever for deeps.

We did 2 WAR/DRK, but HG would have been nice in wave 9 and sped things up considerably I think.

Top Bottom