• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tabris

lol, this community sometimes. The tank with the best cooldowns and the only ability in the game that makes them 100% invulnerable is the weakest tank? Ok.

DPS isn't everything.

PLD and DRK are similar but DRK has edge in raid content with hard DPS checks.

They need to balance more to tank buster checks then DPS checks to get PLD back on top.

Come on bro, you need some sort of crazy hat. or at least something that isn't from 1.0.

I use Holy Shield Nexus, that's 2.4. And technically it's 2.3 or 2.2 as it's augmented artifact :) Oh, and Augmented Ironworks for legs. I picked it to match with mixed Creed armour. Theme'd :)

Sorian

Banned
PLD and DRK are similar but DRK has edge in raid content with hard DPS checks.

They need to balance more to tank buster checks then DPS checks to get PLD back on top.

These hard DPS checks were only pertinent to world first groups who didn't have the eso weapons. That's a different world now, most groups are sitting on their weapons now which makes A1S and A2S a joke comparatively. With our play last night, we would not have cleared A2S as easily (or at all) without the weapons.

A3S and A4S are more gear/health/defense oriented than strict DPS checks. I know that the DPS check is there but most groups are going to have more trouble staying alive the whole fight than just barely losing to an enrage timer on a perfect run.

Jayhawk

Glad to see the Monk thread on the official forums went back to Fracture DPS discussions the past few days. Gives me some reading material.

Tabris

These hard DPS checks were only pertinent to world first groups who didn't have the eso weapons. That's a different world now, most groups are sitting on their weapons now which makes A1S and A2S a joke comparatively. With our play last night, we would not have cleared A2S as easily (or at all) without the weapons.

A3S and A4S are more gear/health/defense oriented than strict DPS checks. I know that the DPS check is there but most groups are going to have more trouble staying alive the whole fight than just barely losing to an enrage timer on a perfect run.

It's all relational though. Those world first need it to push DPS checks without weapons, but non-server first groups may need it to push DPS checks with weapons.

Xux

Glad to see the Monk thread on the official forums went back to Fracture DPS discussions the past few days. Gives me some reading material.
I noticed a MNK I was in a party with using Fracture last night. I was, like, "Sh-should I put that on my MNK? I guess it'd get more use than Foresight, lol."

Miracle

So I'm thinking of getting this game, and I just have a few questions.

1. Due to not having a great PC at the moment, I'm gonna get this for PS4. Will I be in a big disadvantage against PC players?
2. Monk class. I loved the Monk Class in FF3 so I choose that. How is it in this game? Scale from 1-10? 10 being best and 1 being worst.
3. Will this game be overwhelming for new comers at the game's current state? I mean I ain't a slow learner, in fact quite the opposite more times than not, but how long do you think it would take to understand most of whats going on and what to do?

Sorian

Banned
It's all relational though. Those world first need it to push DPS checks without weapons, but non-server first groups may need it to push DPS checks with weapons.

It's not as pertinent though and is hardly a talking point when trying to discuss relative tank strength. WAR is OT because of it's high DPS and that makes more sense but ranking the better tank in the MT spot based on possible DPS contribution is just silly.

Ken

1. Due to not having a great PC at the moment, I'm gonna get this for PS4. Will I be in a big disadvantage against PC players?
2. Monk class. I loved the Monk Class in FF3 so I choose that. How is it in this game? Scale from 1-10? 10 being best and 1 being worst.
3. Will this game be overwhelming for new comers at the game's current state? I mean I ain't a slow learner, in fact quite the opposite more times than not, but how long do you think it would take to understand most of whats going on and what to do?

1. No, PS4 is fine.
2. They're pretty up there. 9?
3. No.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

1. Not really. Having VPN support on PC is great though if you are having network problems. A lot of people play on PS4 though.
2. They used to be a 10. Now they are around a 9.
3. The only problem is that there is A LOT of content before you get to the expansion content. A lot of it is filler quests during the main storyline.

Xux

PVPs a pretty small and isolated component of the game if you're talking about competition but I can't think of any real advantage the PC version would have. The PS4 version supports mouse and keyboard if you wanna use it but the controller implementation is pretty popular.

MNK's pretty neat. I think DRG pulls ahead in terms of pure DPS but MNK has some good utility moves and if a DRG is in the party you can take advantage of one of its main moves anyway. So, 8-9, I guess?

I don't think it's too overwhelming. As long as you're willing to read all of the tutorial windows that pop up and ask for help, you should be fine.

Tabris

It's not as pertinent though and is hardly a talking point when trying to discuss relative tank strength. WAR is OT because of it's high DPS and that makes more sense but ranking the better tank in the MT spot based on possible DPS contribution is just silly.

It's not though when damage is predictable. If fights were made so they had random order of moves and healing pattern could not be memorized, then yes. Sure, PLD helps more then DRK while healers are memorizing their pattern, but after that, then the advantage goes away.

So if they want to return tanks to non-DPS basis, they need to randomize damage / moves and increase power of tank busters.

Jayhawk

I noticed a MNK I was in a party with using Fracture last night. I was, like, "Sh-should I put that on my MNK? I guess it'd get more use than Foresight, lol."

Correct use of Fracture is a DPS increase. Correct use entails using it without wasting DoT ticks from Demo, ToD and without letting DK and TS drop.

Miracle

1. No, PS4 is fine.
2. They're pretty up there. 9?
3. No.

1. Not really. Having VPN support on PC is great though if you are having network problems. A lot of people play on PS4 though.
2. They used to be a 10. Now they are around a 9.
3. The only problem is that there is A LOT of content before you get to the expansion content. A lot of it is filler quests during the main storyline.

PVPs a pretty small and isolated component of the game if you're talking about competition but I can't think of any real advantage the PC version would have. The PS4 version supports mouse and keyboard if you wanna use it but the controller implementation is pretty popular.

MNK's pretty neat. I think DRG pulls ahead in terms of pure DPS but MNK has some good utility moves and if a DRG is in the party you can take advantage of one of its main moves anyway. So, 8-9, I guess?

I don't think it's too overwhelming. As long as you're willing to read all of the tutorial windows that pop up and ask for help, you should be fine.

Thanks very much for the help! I completely forgot I could use a keyboard and mouse if I wanted to on PS4.

neoemonk

Thanks for the answers. I don't know if I will ever raid anyway. I just recall healers bitching at me in pre-50 instances for taking too much damage but this was my first tank in any MMO so it's possible that I was just sucking.

Tabris

Thanks for the answers. I don't know if I will ever raid anyway. I just recall healers bitching at me in pre-50 instances for taking too much damage but this was my first tank in any MMO so it's possible that I was just sucking.

Were you in Grit and were you using cooldowns (defensive abilities on their own cooldown) throughout the pulls and boss fights? Also were you making sure to keep up with equipment as DEF stat matters.

One suggestion I hear from time to time is that cards need to be buffed so that whatever you get benefit would be higher than normal, and it might sound sensible; but in reality it will lead to "AST didn't draw Ewer, we gotta wipe!" and standing in front of the boss for dozens of minutes until you finally draw the extended Balance combination for the openers.

Its funny that you bring that up cause that exact situation actually happened with Corsair in FF11. The buffs themselves that COR could give weren't random, but the strength of them was. I remember many a time sitting there trying to roll a perfect 11 with phantom dice for max strength before we pulled a boss. I could see a similar situation happening with AST.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Haha, a bunch of us just standing in Costa del Sol giving away hundreds of free battered fish while people who were trying to sell them for 10-20k each cried. =p

xezuru

Yeah, as a Monk the Cross-Skills I use are, Blood for Blood, Invigorate, Fracture, and then Mercy Stroke and Blood Bath.

As a DPS class, the first 3 give you obvious little growth chunks of dps and dps sustain, the latter two on the other hand, mercy stroke and blood bath are kind of whatever, ms only being useful for super strict dps burns really, but honestly Foresight isn't worth it compared to blood bath IMO. Forsight is just physical damage reduction, if it had magic def as well it would be worth it, that said the only time either would be usefull is if you grabbed agro from a dead tank or something, in this situation, especially in AoE fights, Blood Bath is way better if you aren't getting 1 shot (which wouldn't be helped by foresight anyways), in some AoE scenarios it heals me from 20% to full on a Rockbreaker.

Soma

hmmm

now that i've got carried through defeated Alexander normal, maybe I should go back and do the Coils.

And the extreme primals including bismarck and ravana

And the other 10 dungeons I still haven't done for my high level roulette

man my priorities are fucked

Zocano

...huh.

So I was looking on the market board for a fat cat when I noticed something. One of the rando minions I got from one of the dungeons goes for 2mil. I assumed it dropped everytime.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
...huh.

So I was looking on the market board for a fat cat when I noticed something. One of the rando minions I got from one of the dungeons goes for 2mil. I assumed it dropped everytime.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I ran that dungeon over 30 times trying to get that panda, when it finally came up and I rolled need someone else got it.

Then just the other day I was on a roulette and got that dungeon and sure enough the panda came up again and I still didn't get it. The panda's elusiveness cuts deep.

Alrus

I've only seen a HW dungeon minion drop once, it was an Owlet on my first fractal run, and I rolled a 1 on it of course :<

ViciousDS

Banned
so just completed Steps for the first time and

Tataru talking about being a bodyguard and that creepy as stare she gives gave me chills.....I'm worried as to what this storyline is going to do in the next hour and a half as it winds down to the 1 hour cut scene finale.

xezuru

The worst part of MMO's "The search of the static" continues, doesn't help that I started like 3+ weeks behind, if groups for ex ravana existed in this server I could have the weapon and probably be set for savage, but for now i'm stuck with the shitty i180 weapon till next reset.

On a brighter note, I absolutely loved the main themes for both ARR and Heavensward, Uematsu is phenomenal as always. Answers theme is insane.

Akala

hmmm

now that i've got carried through defeated Alexander normal, maybe I should go back and do the Coils.

And the extreme primals including bismarck and ravana

And the other 10 dungeons I still haven't done for my high level roulette

man my priorities are fucked

Right there with you &#128540;

aceface

The worst part of MMO's "The search of the static" continues, doesn't help that I started like 3+ weeks behind, if groups for ex ravana existed in this server I could have the weapon and probably be set for savage, but for now i'm stuck with the shitty i180 weapon till next reset.

On a brighter note, I absolutely loved the main themes for both ARR and Heavensward, Uematsu is phenomenal as always. Answers theme is insane.

What sever you on? On Ultros PF I got good groups to farm Ravana for my weapon over the weekend.

Grisby

This has nothing to do with Heavenswards but holy shit the Hildibrand quest-line is amazing. That
'next episode preview'
had me chuckling pretty hard.

Squishy3

Haha, a bunch of us just standing in Costa del Sol giving away hundreds of free battered fish while people who were trying to sell them for 10-20k each cried. =p
this is why you sell the popoto on the market for all the new culinarians that haven't leveled botany

Aselith

I don't know if this is a well known thing but an fc mate told me that if you put the battered fish in your first inventory slot and then target the vendor and mash numpad 0 it will do the turn ins for you. Makes things a boatload easier.

People were still buying it off the market boards anyways though. Jokes on those charity people I made about a million today!

I don't know if this is a well known thing but an fc mate told me that if you put the battered fish in your first inventory slot and then target the vendor and mash numpad 0 it will do the turn ins for you. Makes things a boatload easier.

People were still buying it off the market boards anyways though. Jokes on those charity people I made about a million today!

Don't really have to put it in first slot, just select the right slot using the numpad, then it'll remember the position for further turn ins. After that it's just mashing 0.

Chille

I don't care I am happy to have made so many people happy!

Aselith

I don't care I am happy to have made so many people happy!

Freakin commies!
sick.gif

cheeky.gif

etae

Alright, I am planning on getting back into this game on a new character. I played it back in a closed beta weekend and liked it well enough to get to 20 but haven't really touched it much since.

I've already signed up for Guildwork. Now have to get my character leveled to travel. I'll mainly be (trying) playing on PS4 with controller but have a dx11 capable PC keyboard and mouse setup (plus game + expand) as well.

One question: Tank or DPS? Will be playing an Au Ra / Xaela. I picked Pugilist but can switched to Gladiator in the same starting area.

I've only seen a HW dungeon minion drop once, it was an Owlet on my first fractal run, and I rolled a 1 on it of course :<

i got the owl some time ago (drop). i don't think minions get better than that. she randomly flies around and sticks to your shoulder whether your're fighting or not. she doesn't give a shit.

Kenai

The "let's sing high hymns Yoshi-P" narrative is pretty hilarious all things considered. They're so attentive, so pro-player! But making a TP bar display takes two years which should've been something fixed in beta of ARR. I mean, somebody in the design team thought that we'd really need to see the MP of the monk in the party. Or how sometimes their claims just go completely against what they're trying to do game design-wise (crafting?) or are able to do because of reasons (housing?).

According to reddit, not being able to control abilities of your class is what constitutes fun. Well, it's not. The problems with AST begin from the word go, it's a class that would benefit from taking it all the way back to the drawing board and coming up with better mechanics, and it's telling that impressions range from "It's okay that Draw is RNG because it's mostly flavor" to "Let's buff Draw real hard" from the same group of people. One suggestion I hear from time to time is that cards need to be buffed so that whatever you get benefit would be higher than normal, and it might sound sensible; but in reality it will lead to "AST didn't draw Ewer, we gotta wipe!" and standing in front of the boss for dozens of minutes until you finally draw the extended Balance combination for the openers. As long as RNG is what controls one of the main functions of the class (and it has five abilities dedicated just to the Draw mechanic) it will continue to feel feeble and unhelpful.

I'm not bitter, no. Maybe a little.

I think the draw mechanics themselves are fine post Spread/Shuffle fixes, it's the buffs themselves that are kinda wonky. i can use Bole Balance and Arrow almost anytime in combat to good and notable effect, a clutch one has definitely mattered for a few of our attempts. Ewer, Spire, and especially Spear? Not so much, and god forbid I Royal Road + Shuffle still get stuck with one of the 3 when they are unneeded. Ewer and Spire at least start to get good mid combat though since my team has a fulltime NIN, fulltime PLD and part time DK, and incoming TP bars will make that much easier. Ewer I can always use to pump out more DPS on me or the cohealer or even help the MCH/BRD out. The Spear...I really hope they work on that one. I despise getting stuck with it. I feel like if something like ACT could accurately analyze how much the cards added people would complain about them a lot less, but it can't and I am not sure it ever will.

The first pass was pretty good. A second one like that (we can expect that much) would be good. More than that would be pretty great. Shame we have to wait til 3.1 but considering no PTR it is to be expected from time to time. As long as it it gets done right I am good, and their track record overall is pretty good regarding making sure classes aren't shunned for any major length of time. I hope they buff Noct stance considerably rather than smacking down SCH too much, I doubt they are obvious to how they are considered mandatory in all major raid situations right now.

No end game experience yet, but I've got my paladin at 51 and my dark knight at 48. I like the latter way more for roulette runs and general leveling. AOE aggro and damage for days.

I feel sturdier on the paladin in terms of overall damage taken, but everything I'm running so far is trivial in that department. The runs on the dark knight go faster and smoother since I'm contributing solid damage to the mix.

It's an odd formula and not my favorite design, since I'm more of a tanking purist who prefers to buff my defense and EHP over damage, but this game does stuff a bit differently and I'm adjusting.

My ultimate goal is to have both at max level and geared, so we'll see how that goes. I'll switch back and forth based on boredom, content difficulty, and party needs.

I don't think I'll ever play warrior. Are they needed for cross skills?

Top Bottom