• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tash

I have to admit - I miss Final Coil. I don't get the same epic feeling from Alex Savage..it just feels less interesting and special with a normal and Savage mode this way. I mean, I know why they did it but..yeah..

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I have to admit - I miss Final Coil. I don't get the same epic feeling from Alex Savage..it just feels less interesting and special with a normal and Savage mode this way. I mean, I know why they did it but..yeah..

I wish they'd make story mode Coil you could go in and enjoy without assembling a competent group; but I guess that'd distract time and resources for a very questionable advantage.

Doesn't help that the Alexander raid's story concerns a zone you just discovered and a character you just met, so it's not nearly as impacting as Coil's story?

It's also quite a bit on the comedic side.

Ken

Doesn't help that the Alexander raid's story concerns a zone you just discovered and a character you just met, so it's not nearly as impacting as Coil's story?

Like I said before, there was no way Alexander was ever going to match FCoB due to the fact Coil had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT more build-up to it than Alexander could have reasonably be given. Plus I mean its Bahamut who is default going to be more interesting to the players than any other Primal/Summon.

Tash

I wish they'd make story mode Coil you could go in and enjoy without assembling a competent group; but I guess that'd distract time and resources for a very questionable advantage.

Well you can do it unsynced iirc? Still, it wouldn't be the same anyway. I just don't have that same "let's fight for this!" feeling in Savage. It's more like "yeah, been there done that now I just fight some more tougher machines than before"..

I can't properly put my finger on it but it's actually really disheartening :(
You are most probably right Ken. It's just not making me feel involved or connected at all. I mean seeing the actual story behind the Phoenix Boss and then the final T13 fight. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Yet alone the feeling of actually beating it in the end..I also still think that echo and making the really tough raids easier over time is still way better than what they did with Normal and Savage mode now.

Like I said before, there was no way Alexander was ever going to match FCoB due to the fact Coil had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT more build-up to it than Alexander could have reasonably be given. Plus I mean its Bahamut who is default going to be more interesting to the players than any other Primal/Summon.

Yeah very true. I just added a few of our coil videos to our FC site and I just realized that Alex will never be the same. I sincerely hope that they will introduce raids such as coil again in the future..

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well you can do it unsynced iirc?

Sure but

3014.jpg

Because Coil's story is connected to the main storyline, the only way Alexander could have compared is if at some point during the very development in the game they decided Alexander was going to be an central part to the entire story of Erozea like Bahamut is.

The only character who compares to Bahamut in regards to story is Generic adventuer/Warrior/Dragoon Hyur dude.

I think also its just first time experience sort of deal. i.e. First time you do coil is an amazing experience. But if they made another like it in the same way with everything you liked about coil, it simply wouldn't feel that same cause you've 'done' it before.

Tash

Well there are more than enough big possible threads for raids in the story. I really hope they go that way again. Heck the Knights part was very anticlimatic..could have been a new raid, too instead of just a dungeon and a final fight :(

Alrus

I also still think that echo and making the really tough raids easier over time is still way better than what they did with Normal and Savage mode now.

I don't really see why. The point was to make the story accessible to casuals. Echo doesn't really help against one-hit kill mechanics...

Well there are more than enough big possible threads for raids in the story. I really hope they go that way again. Heck the Knights part was very anticlimatic..could have been a new raid, too instead of just a dungeon and a final fight :(

I don't see how a whole raid of fighting similar looking knights would be better. Like people already complain that the alexander bosses look too similar.

Also, First Coil had pretty meh story, I'd wait and see what happens in the next ones before writing off the Alexander one.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Going to the Moon should be really cool.

Bahamut wasn't really connected to ARR's MSQ was it? Thought that was all about the Garleans and junk, and Coil happens because we stumble upon Garleans investigating some Dalamud fragments.

No. It's hardly even hinted at.

IvorB

Well it's early days yet so maybe give it time. The way they are talking about Alexander and what would happen if it activated seems like there could be some epic stuff down the line.

I need to go back and actually watch the cut scenes from Coil. I had no idea that the Bahamut story got wrapped up there.

Tash

I don't really see why.

Because of all the stuff we just discussed? It also means you fly through the first experience of discovering a boss way too fast and then you go back just to fight the exact same model with more mechanics and more damage and dps checks..I don't find that very appealing compared to an actual unique challenge.

Huh? I don't think you understood at all what I meant.
A raid a la Coil with the knights linked to the actual story would have been more interesting than Alex Normal and then Savage.

Ken

Because Coil's story is connected to the main storyline, the only way Alexander could have compared is if at some point during the very development in the game they decided Alexander was going to be an central part to the entire story of Erozea like Bahamut is.

The only character who compares to Bahamut in regards to story is Generic adventuer/Warrior/Dragoon Hyur dude.

I think also its just first time experience sort of deal. i.e. First time you do coil is an amazing experience. But if they made another like it in the same way with everything you liked about coil, it simply wouldn't feel that same cause you've 'done' it before.

Bahamut wasn't really connected to ARR's MSQ was it? Thought that was all about the Garleans and junk, and Coil happens because we stumble upon Garleans investigating some Dalamud fragments.

I don't see how a whole raid of fighting similar looking knights would be better. Like people already complain that the alexander bosses look too similar.

So we can get more quality lines like "sickness must be purged" instead of "beep boop/pshkooh fire gobbiebomb."

aceface

Having played them all going back to 7th grade, it's my opinion that Coil is among the best things in a Final Fantasy ever. Music, story, tough but rewarding bosses. Unfortunately because of the nature of MMO's it has a shelf life.

In a way, I can kind of appreciate how they didn't try to repeat that but went in a whole other direction instead with Alexander. And if they never introduce echo for Savage (still not sure what direction they will go with that) beating it will be a unique achievement. And who knows where they will go with the story, the goblins could be a red herring.

Valor

There's a lot of mystery about Alexander as well, though. Just because the first set of bosses aren't exactly super exciting (it's like fighting those blitzball machines from X three times. Excitement) there's a decent bit of lore still kind of barely revealing itself already. I'm intrigued by the overarching plot, but a big problem so far is that there wasn't that omfg reveal that the first set of coil turns had where suddenly bahamut's hand and you see him in the background when you finish it.

The spectacle is missing right now from Alexander, but I'm sure it'll pick up as it goes.

Chalk me up as one of the people who really wanted Alexander to be a raid about
Knights of the Round
but instead they "wasted" that on the story. Like I wanted each boss in the Alexander raid to be a different one of them, culminating with the last one.

However, my version would have possibly been A. Boring and B. severely lacking in gobbieboom and whizzbangs. So fuck that.

I dunno I quite enjoyed being called a filthy rat.

So we can get more quality lines like "sickness must be purged" instead of "beep boop/pshkooh fire gobbiebomb."
Time turning up the volume
Time turning on us always
No time enough to wallow
For turning back to where we began

Is quality.

jiggles

Banned
I finally hit lvl50 for the first time last night (DRG).

It's nuts how much of a jump it is. I did the job quest and went straight from being equipped with a set iLvl45 gear to iLvl90, then went and bought some iLvl115 stuff in the marketplace to round out the build without destroying the sexy look. The takeaway is that in the space of 10 minutes my HP and damage output basically doubled. The last few MSQ missions are sure to be an absolute breeze.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I finally hit lvl50 for the first time last night (DRG).

It's nuts how much of a jump it is. I did the job quest and went straight from being equipped with a set iLvl45 gear to iLvl90, then went and bought some iLvl115 stuff in the marketplace to round out the build without destroying the sexy look. The takeaway is that in the space of 10 minutes my HP and damage output basically doubled. The last few MSQ missions are sure to be an absolute breeze.

Well, it wasn't always this way.

Guess Who

Banned

It's directly related to the story of 1.x and why ARR is even a thing in-universe. It's more the conclusion of the 1.x story than related to the 2.x story, I suppose you'd say.

Ken

It's directly related to the story of 1.x and why ARR is even a thing in-universe. It's more the conclusion of the 1.x story than related to the 2.x story, I suppose you'd say.

Which is great for the 10 people that stuck with 1.0, but Coil still does a good job of creating curiosity for 2.0 players despite barely having presence in the 2.x MSQ, at least it did for me.

Valor

Which is great for the 10 people that stuck with 1.0, but Coil still does a good job of creating curiosity for 2.0 players despite barely having presence in the 2.x MSQ, at least it did for me.

Yeah they did a good job in basically telling a coherent story for chumps like me who didn't play 1.0 and had no real clue as to what happened at the end of that in universe. I did research while going through coil since I was interested, but I think I would have understood even without doing so.

I still think coil versus Alexander is basically that Coil is more of a more... Final Fantasy styled raid. Magic. Dragons. Big creatures to combat. Alexander so far is something that feels uniquely 14 because it's about Gobbies and primals in a more obvious way than Coil was. I'm also a fan of psuedo steampunk type environments and gobbiespeak so I'm perfectly content with Alexander.

Demoskinos

Yet alone the feeling of actually beating it in the end..I also still think that echo and making the really tough raids easier over time is still way better than what they did with Normal and Savage mode now.

I tend to agree. Sort of feeling put off by the whole end game right now. I would have much rather the difficulty of Alex Normal was on par with coil with echo introduced at a later date. With Savage being added for the crazy people. There is at this point like not a whole lot of reason to even do Alex Normal with Eso gear and Savage just turns the dial too much in the other direction for me to care.

Cømet

Banned
A quality 8-man raid would be better based around the
Warring Triad or Warrior of Darkness
. Both are guaranteed to be more interesting than gobbies or the Heavensward.

Not that I don't enjoy Alexander.

iammeiam

My only current beef with Savage is making me realize how terrible it is that my stun and ranged silence share a recast, but my stun only works in melee range. If I'm not announcing "...I just fucked up and we're gonna wipe", I'm confusing my same-charge tether buddy by running away to Suppressive Fire my piston.

It helps that the story doesn't do much for me, but the actual fight evolutions between Normal and Savage still make it feel pretty rewarding.

Sifl

Well, it was fun making money while it lasted. There were only a few people selling mogpoms on my server, and we were all selling them around the same price for the last few weeks. They were selling extremely well too, but I woke up today finding a lot of new people flooding the mb with them. Only a matter of time before the severe undercutting starts.

Ferr986

Quality is BGM set to 0.

Though A4 music is great.

Nah! Alexander A1-A3 bosses music is SO GOOD.

In fact, except the original Answers and the Nael theme, Coil music was boring as fuck. Basically all remixes of the same theme or the boring Twintania music (wasn't the same as the Ascian fight in 2.0?).

I quite like Alex, but it may be because, as a FFXI player, I love Goblins.

IvorB

Nah! Alexander A1-A3 bosses music is SO GOOD.

In fact, except the original Answers and the Nael theme, Coil music was boring as fuck. Basically all remixes of the same theme or the boring Twintania music (wasn't the same as the Ascian fight in 2.0?).

I quite like Alex, but it may be because, as a FFXI player, I love Goblins.

No ways, man. Coil had one of the best tracks in the game I reckon.

Ferr986

You don't like this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fnfYySC6k

Also as a FFXI player you should hate Goblins and the hours spent in the jungle exping off them.

No ways, man. Coil had one of the best tracks in the game I reckon.

They remind me too much of Answers remixes (yes I know the Alex song has a brief remix part too). I really like how the Alex song is more original sounding that your typical epic boss track.

Maybe I was a little too harsh, Odyssey is way better track than Faust theme. I just like the variety on the Alex boss themes compared to Coil.

Also, I still love Gobs even though I exp'ed them to death. Too many hilarious trains of death with them.

Alright, thanks. Are all the seasonal events like this or are some more in depth?

Last year's faire was the best one imo. It had uh... "minigames" and such. It was fun. I haven't spent a lot of time with the event FATES
(contacts!)
but I guess they weren't as creative this year.

Top Bottom