• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Squishy3

Ok, I've done Neverreap twice and now I hate it.
Welcome to the party.

Luckily I've had some events that lead to some nice breaking up of the monotony, like the tank dcing or getting knocked off the platform because they got distracted by something that was happening in real-life and I've had to tank the final boss. :p

Yes, you need both separately.

However, at the early stage I recommend buying ARR only and NOT buying HW unless you really, really want to play the new race from the beginning. There are potions called Fantasia which let you modify your complete appearance later if you'd like, so it's not a big deal in my opinion as you can change your race later. Once you get close to 50, then decide if you want to buy it so you can keep leveling up to 60. By the point you get to HW you'll likely be somewhere between 52-54.

Enjoy it as well! I started playing a few weeks ago and I'm 52 right now on Ninja.

Which server are you on?

I'm on ultros, I think that's the name of the world. That's the one most populated by GAF correct?

I try to talk to people and get someone to play with me, people just ignore me :(

etae

I'm on ultros, I think that's the name of the world. That's the one most populated by GAF correct?

I try to talk to people and get someone to play with me, people just ignore me :(

What's your in char name? I just started playing as well. mine is "Ruined It" have a lvl 10 pugilist and gladiator. I'll definitely be looking to group up for dungeon shenanigans.

What's your in char name? I just started playing as well. mine is "Ruined It" have a lvl 10 pugilist and gladiator. I'll definitely be looking to group up for dungeon shenanigans.

I can't invite, I haven't gone out to buy the game yet. I'm still on the 14 day trial which locks me out of adding people :p

I'll add you the second I get the game. We'll play for sure! :D

Teknoman

It seems like every time I try to play, I get some new error that I've never had before. Its not constant, but kind of annoying that problems are starting to crop up after all this time.

EDIT: And it fixed itself? Eh.

3.1 can't come soon enough. Once I reach Lv.50 PvP rank I'm literally out of content I possibly have access to that doesn't involve gathering and crafting. This is once again a fine reminder that this game has only 2 gears when it comes to endgame-high end and casual. There's almost no mid tier content right. Gate cock blocks of either non-DF-able content or currency cock block ala scrips, which can piss off, make gearing alts harder then it needs to be in a game that actively encourages leveling alts.

It doesn't help that I have no concrete goal to gear toward since I have no progression group for Alex-savage and no one is even doing savage pugs on Goblin. Everything else is piss easy save for maybe Ravana Ex.

3.1 can't come soon enough. Once I reach Lv.50 PvP rank I'm literally out of content I possibly have access to that doesn't involve gathering and crafting. This is once again a fine reminder that this game has only 2 gears when it comes to endgame-high end and casual. There's almost no mid tier content right. Gate cock blocks of either non-DF-able content or currency cock block ala scrips, which can piss off, make gearing alts harder then it needs to be in a game that actively encourages leveling alts.

It doesn't help that I have no concrete goal to gear toward since I have no progression group for Alex-savage and no one is even doing savage pugs on Goblin. Everything else is piss easy save for maybe Ravana Ex.

If you're looking to pug Savage, transfer to Gilgamesh or Excalibur

You find some guys you like there, you can join up with them and then you'll have a progression group

Raxious

after months of not playing decided to start again, got myself a 60 day card and Heavensward. Considering leveling up a new character, probably on Ultros ( got my other character there as well ). Or is that server considered dead?

Apoptomon

Need content patch pls.

Max level is currently a barren wasteland. Why did you guys ship the xpac with no 60 content?

Isn't there more now than at 2.0's endgame? That was 1 raid (Coil) and 2 tome dungeons (WP and AK) IIRC. Now there's those (Fractal, Neverreap, Alex normal), supplemented with hunts and an extra raid (Alex savage).

Zocano

Isn't there more now than at 2.0's endgame? That was 1 raid (Coil) and 2 tome dungeons (WP and AK) IIRC. Now there's those (Fractal, Neverreap, Alex normal), supplemented with hunts and an extra raid (Alex savage).

The content feels like it's stretched a bit too thin compared to 1.0 launch. Then at least we had the relic weapon questline to also partake in. Rotating between the three primals was super fun and added a lot. You have to cross a large gap of gear progression with roughly the same amount of content, I think it's mostly the unnecessary hunt part to it. The Law gear shouldn't need the extra farm to bump it up to Alex Normal. Then at least we would have rounded out the gear to be i200 for Alex Savage + AF2, too.

nickcv

I don't mind the current content but I think there should be a third alternative for each tier:
a third primal, a third ex dungeon and maybe a middle version of Alex (not sure about the last one).

The ex roulette is now too boring and predictable.

I also wouldn't mind a heavenward roulette that includes all the HW dungeons and trials

Tabris

Well you had the relic run, but really the big difference is...

The game was new back then and people didn't mind re-running the same content. But we've had 5 major patches and 1 expansion since, and the current content system (1 casual raid (ct, alex nm) + 1 hardcore raid (coil, savage) + a primal or two which is invalidated after a couple farms + a couple dungeons to run for currency) hasn't changed and is really tiring people out on the game.

They really need to create new systems that provide a lot more endgame content. I don't think most people would have issues with them re-using content like CT, Coil, etc. The issue is they have created a gear system that creates no reason to run other content. That's the core of the issue. Until they add more secondary stats for gear variety / choices which allows more than 2 gear sets at the same iLevel (or similar iLevel), then they cannot design anything but raid + currency + maybe a primal fight content.

Another key is to make drops harder to come by for everything, not just raids. You then lock out the content after a clear. So say you do Ravana EX and clear it, one or two people get their weapon and you can try again in a week. Do that for all content and it extends it's life. But the issue with this is it requires a static / party with friends environment and a lot of people play this like an offline RPG then an MMO.

Lanrutcon

Hunts are content in its thinnest form. It's a side grind that's been made irrelevant. And Alex savage is tuned for .1% of the community, so pretty pointless for anyone else.

So it's pretty even.

Tabris

Hunts are content in its thinnest form. It's a side grind that's been made irrelevant. And Alex savage is tuned for .1% of the community, so pretty pointless for anyone else.

So it's pretty even.

It's much higher percentage then that among active subscribers. Or at least it must be based on the number of players I see running savage and Ultros is a bad example.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In 3.1 you'll be able to sit like an anime.

It's much higher percentage then that among active subscribers. Or at least it must be based on the number of players I see running savage and Ultros is a bad example.

This is kinda true. When leveling during the first month of the expansion I had so many different people with Savage titles in Duty Finder.

Omni

Is there any point in doing the old 8 player raids? I'm going through HW now. Currently level 54 WHM. Had a look at the rewards and noticed that it's kinda outdated? (or that I saw. Only briefly looked).

Lanrutcon

Is there any point in doing the old 8 player raids? I'm going through HW now. Currently level 54 WHM. Had a look at the rewards and noticed that it's kinda outdated? (or that I saw. Only briefly looked).

Well, you do get items to upgrade old sets to allow for dyeing!

Sifl

I honestly don't understand why people don't use their lvl 60 maps, assuming they can do them. Most of the time, whatever you get from them winds up being worth more then what you sell/pay for it.

Ken

I honestly don't understand why people don't use their lvl 60 maps, assuming they can do them. Most of the time, whatever you get from them winds up being worth more then what you sell/pay for it.

Laziness or can't be bothered to look for a group, if you mean the Dragonskins.

Alrus

I have a minor issue with the game and I have no idea what causes it. It seems that everytime I log out my client reverts back to a previous state and if any hotbars I switched, or new macro I made, or new keybind is lost. It's quite annoying. Anyone knows anything about that?

aceface

They can wait on mods as far as I'm concerned. I've read that mods had a huge effect on WoW and there was one in particular that changed the way that the devs designed boss encounters. Maybe someone who played that can say how off-base I am on that. I also wonder if it would split the PC and PS4 players.

Shamdeo

They can wait on mods as far as I'm concerned. I've read that mods had a huge effect on WoW and there was one in particular that changed the way that the devs designed boss encounters. Maybe someone who played that can say how off-base I am on that.

Yeah, that was probably due to Deadly Boss Mods and other addons of its like that essentially tell you what to do in each encounter.

Stand somewhere you're not supposed to? A voice tells you to "run away little girl".
Need to know the bosses entire rotation? Here's progress bars that tell you when things are coming.

My memory of it is kinda dim, but there were instances where Blizzard had to intervene and ban the use of certain addons -- I think there was one that allowed you to draw on the game's geometry (a tool for raiding) which not only trivialized some encounters, but allowed for a kind of unseen vandalism of the game's world.

I also wonder if it would split the PC and PS4 players.

"ALEXANDER NORMAL FLOOR 2 CLEAR GROUP MUST HAVE DEADLY BOSS MODS OR GTFO"

Xux

Hopefully legal stuff doesn't effect my most wanted mods like Super Mario sound effects for jumping and casting fire and also a mod to turn the menus blue.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The most interesting part from that interview is that while the not-Lunar Whale raid is gonna have a FFXIV-original story (CT was essentially an extensive retelling of the original FF3 Xande's story except with more ancient Allagans), the enemies encountered therein are said by Yoshida to be "very familiar to FF fans". It's not FF4 but it's FF4. He also said they wanted to take a new approach to the dungeon design itself with the raid as opposed to just making new encounters.

iammeiam

Saw 60% in A3S last night; I'd be optimistic about progress but none of us understood why that adds phase went so much smoother than all the others so possibly just really good tether and spawn RNG.

For all that the fight is pretty consistently and hilariously kicking our asses every phase transition (we had to healer lb3 after the first p4 protean wave, but managed to stretch from there to Aishe getting kidnapped by the hand), I remain convinced it's going to be one of the easiest once we're all overgeared. Even quad Ferrofluid tethers isn't that bad.

But still. Dying, dying, electricity.

Stand somewhere you're not supposed to? A voice tells you to "run away little girl".
Need to know the bosses entire rotation? Here's progress bars that tell you when things are coming.

So basically it's like being in Mumble, just without needing other people to narrate.

Valor

So basically it's like being in Mumble, just without needing other people to narrate.
Except without mumble how will you hear all of my snide quips during and after wipes?

Like... how can we capture that with mods? Can science help? These are the important questions.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Except without mumble how will you hear all of my snide quips during and after wipes?

Like... how can we capture that with mods? Can science help? These are the important questions.

Will displaying this screen help?
f1310.jpg

My memory of it is kinda dim, but there were instances where Blizzard had to intervene and ban the use of certain addons -- I think there was one that allowed you to draw on the game's geometry (a tool for raiding) which not only trivialized some encounters, but allowed for a kind of unseen vandalism of the game's world.

Instal mod.
Dicks everywhere.
Literally everywhere.

But yeah, boss mods were pretty big, even in vanilla. I didn't mind them as much as some other mods, like auctioneer. Having a mod automatically scan every item of the auction house and buy up anything that is below the normal average was kinda shit. Also got to remember that some of the mods that were pretty major are just a standard part of this game already, like a threat meter. Imagine having 5 or so tanks and they had to swap aggro at specific times on a boss that is immune to provoke without a threat meter.

iammeiam

I was just planning to take "GALEN STOP DYING AND ENRAGE WON'T HAPPEN" to party chat tbh.

ebil

I have a minor issue with the game and I have no idea what causes it. It seems that everytime I log out my client reverts back to a previous state and if any hotbars I switched, or new macro I made, or new keybind is lost. It's quite annoying. Anyone knows anything about that?
This happened to a FC mate of mine last week. I suggested copy/pasting the .DAT files (UI, hotbars, macros and such) from another character folder, which fixed it.
He had a new character and nothing to lose though so you should try and backup your existing files, swapping them out and back in or something.

Top Bottom