• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

So stupid that you can't take your chocobo into story duty missions, especially when you're facing like 15+ enemies

Story missions are supposed to be done alone. If you can't beat it without your chocobo companion after a failing a few times, you're either not geared enough or you don't play your class well enough.

I really wish they'd let us have our chocobos out while we're waiting for a duty queue. For dps classes, the queue takes way too long and I would rather do something in between and having a chocobo just makes things faster.

sora87

Story missions are supposed to be done alone. If you can't beat it without your chocobo companion after a failing a few times, you're either not geared enough or you don't play your class well enough.

I really wish they'd let us have our chocobos out while we're waiting for a duty queue. For dps classes, the queue takes way too long and I would rather do something in between and having a chocobo just makes things faster.

I dunno, the ones where you have to keep someone alive or whatever is really annoying, I'm not a healer or a tank and i can only attack so many mobs at one single time.

Sorian

Banned
I dunno, the ones where you have to keep someone alive or whatever is really annoying, I'm not a healer or a tank and i can only attack so many mobs at one single time.

Usually there is a particular mob you should be fighting and killing. If anything is labeled "Lvl ???" you should save that one for last and let the NPCs handle it until you kill everything else. You should be killing the regular leveled things.

That's usually the case, most of them make it really obvious what you should be killing if you read the flavor text that NPCs are shouting.

Those pose a challenge to all different roles for different reasons.

End all be all though it boils down to playing your class well, paying attention to what the actually goal of the fight is or knowing a way to cheese the fight in some fashion.

suzu

Yay level 10! Uhh as archer which stats would be best to increase? I assume dexterity would be one. Can I reallocate points at a later time if I feel I made a mistake?

Put it all in dexterity. Yeah, you can buy an item with grandcompany seals that resets your attributes. Also fyi each class gets their own stat points to allocate and it doesn't carry over when you switch classes.

Pachimari

I feel so alone in Eorzea. Like, really lonely, having no friends, contacts or anything there. I know there's lots of strangers walking about, and one even revived me, but I gotta level up to at least 15, and then add you guys, if anyone wants me on their list as well.

=;(

Zomba13

The most interesting part from that interview is that while the not-Lunar Whale raid is gonna have a FFXIV-original story (CT was essentially an extensive retelling of the original FF3 Xande's story except with more ancient Allagans), the enemies encountered therein are said by Yoshida to be "very familiar to FF fans". It's not FF4 but it's FF4. He also said they wanted to take a new approach to the dungeon design itself with the raid as opposed to just making new encounters.

I hope that means that the three parties will split up to accomplish different goals, rather than just all being in the same big fights and the occasional forced split to deal with an Atomos.

Like, one party has to go to the security room on the ship and shut down security while the other two parties deal with an endless wave or adds. It's be an endurance test for two parties and a time trial for the security team.

I just want more interesting things than ABC fight boss, ABC split up to fight an Atomos, A fights now then B fights then C fights repeat, ABC fight their own thing in the same room.

I feel so alone in Eorzea. Like, really lonely, having no friends, contacts or anything there. I know there's lots of strangers walking about, and one even revived me, but I gotta level up to at least 15, and then add you guys, if anyone wants me on their list as well.

=;(

If you're on Ultros join the FC!

Ferr986

I hope that means that the three parties will split up to accomplish different goals, rather than just all being in the same big fights and the occasional forced split to deal with an Atomos.

Like, one party has to go to the security room on the ship and shut down security while the other two parties deal with an endless wave or adds. It's be an endurance test for two parties and a time trial for the security team.

I just want more interesting things than ABC fight boss, ABC split up to fight an Atomos, A fights now then B fights then C fights repeat, ABC fight their own thing in the same room.

I agree, but expect lots of drama because one party is slower, or fail or something like that...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
PtEVF4j.jpg

O tempora, o mores.

thefil

Got Titan EX down with my FC two days ago. I ended up dead at the end, because I had to LB the rock in the last phase to save everyone else and the animation left me in range of Weight of the Earth.

So happy we got that down. Most of us were even in ARR-era gear since only two of our group have made it to HW.

We actually almost got Ifrit down right after. In our last attempt, we DPSd him too much which caused him to insta-wipe the party RIGHT after spawning the last set of nails (as in, we had 0 time to kill nails). It's really stupid that putting out too much damage will cause him to kill the party...

WolvenOne

Oh weird. We're only getting two new dungeons per patch in 3.X, instead of three.

I guess that's okay as they're apparently doing it so they can spend more time creating different kinds of content, but it does make me wonder which dungeons won't be getting a HM version.

Valor

Oh, weird. We're only getting two new dungeons per patch in 3.X, instead of three.

I guess that's okay, as they're apparently doing it so they can spend more time creating different kinds of content, but it does make me wonder which dungeons won't be getting a HM version.

I'd be okay if they just flat out didn't do HM versions of them and just gave us two brand new dungeons every time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Oh, weird. We're only getting two new dungeons per patch in 3.X, instead of three.

I guess that's okay, as they're apparently doing it so they can spend more time creating different kinds of content, but it does make me wonder which dungeons won't be getting a HM version.

Wait, what?

EDIT: Oh, skimmed over that one.
Well that's actually kind of a bummer.
Three months of only two dungeons.

WolvenOne

I'd be okay if they just flat out didn't do HM versions of them and just gave us two brand new dungeons every time.

Well, we're probably going to get one new dungeon, and one HM version of the Heavensward leveling dungeons. The odd-men out will probably be the original level 50 dungeons introduced in 2.X. Which I'm for, I only ran the Great Google Library twice, and I haven't had the free time to really level another class with gusto yet.

Somewhat of a shame, I wanted to see how they could remix the Pharos Sirius and Lost City themes. That said, apparently 3.X is going to contain a lot of experimental content, so hopefully that ends up being a good trade-off.

Kenai

How creepy can I make the voice?

Won't be the same if it's not opera house Big Bad Wolf.

I wish there was a FFXIV equivalent boss but there just isn't yet. Maybe by the end of this expac there will be a glorious Ultros/Greg soundbyte or something.

WolvenOne

Wait, what?

EDIT: Oh, skimmed over that one.
Well that's actually kind of a bummer.
Three months of only two dungeons.

Still more dungeons than WoW gets, more frequently too. XD

Actually on this subject, I hope 3.1 contains a decent number of entry-level lvl60 trials. Level 60 trial roulette is essentially non-existent right now, seeing as there's only one level 60 trial that isn't either a raid or an Extreme. That's a bit of a gap in the endgame right now, not a huge gap but still...

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Well, dungeons function a little differently in WoW.
I guess I'll make peace with this if both dungeons are original and not hard mode repaints.
These were cool, but only because we used to get three.

Pachimari

You don't need to be lvl 15 to join a free company, unless you're still on the free 14-day trial which has restrictions on social / communication stuff.

I can join even though I'm a lvl. 9 archer?
I'll try then. It has been a long time since I were a member of the Free Company.

Tabris

Dungeons are such wasted content. You run it a couple times, and maybe have to do it a couple times a week for that patch for currency, then that content is completely invalid. And it's always mind-numbingly boring content. Boring Trash Pack > Boring Trash Pack > Boring Trash Pack > Some boring boss > repeat 2 times.

Honestly they need to make dungeons more like Castrum+Prae with interactive elements, from vehicles to cannons to searchlights to etc. And they need to create EX Dungeons where it's difficult content.

Then they need to create a way for you need to run the dungeons again, without having to burn out on them. Like a once a week quest to help your relic weapon. Make it a slow grind.

Kenai

To be fair to WoW, they have more dungeons to run at max levels at the expansion's start. 6-8 is usually bare minimum, several times there were more, in addtion to almost always being several rep vendors a la beastmen dailies..

To be fair to FFXIV, they are literally the same dungeon but the mobs hit harder, not even many notable new mechanics like Alex Savage vs normal, let alone entirely new areas like normal vs HM dungeons here. If we did get "new new" ones they were upwards of 6 months later rather than 3 and tended to come in one lump sum with raids and w/e else.

Pick your poison? I dunno.

Dungeons are such wasted content. You run it a couple times, and maybe have to do it a couple times a week for that patch for currency, then that content is completely invalid. And it's always mind-numbingly boring content. Boring Trash Pack > Boring Trash Pack > Boring Trash Pack > Some boring boss > repeat 2 times.

Honestly they need to make dungeons more like Castrum+Prae with interactive elements, from vehicles to cannons to searchlights to etc. And they need to create EX Dungeons where it's difficult content.

Then they need to create a way for you need to run the dungeons again, without having to burn out on them. Like a once a week quest to help your relic weapon. Make it a slow grind.

People don't really want difficult daily dungeons in the roulette though. Either you get impatient people wanting to rush cause they've seen it all before so it ruins the experience for newbs (like running Cast/Prae now) or people will just outright ignore them or quit when they zone it (old Pharos, Steps of Faith, ect).

As for a "slow" grind, people will just call that gating. Which it kind of is, but I digress. I actually liked the way they did the old relic in that regard. I just didn't like that it was all busywrk rather than feeling like a relic quest. Where were the epic solo encounters designed to test my class knowledge? This was a goddamn relic weapon.

I want something like the class role legendary challenges in WoW MoP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZANc82tNA

Maybe making encounters tailored for each job would be kind of ridiculous, but surely we could have something like this?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like they should keep a rotation of four dungeons in the roulette, but I'm not sure how to do that with the ilevel increase patches- ilevel sync, I guess?

Tabris

People don't really want difficult daily dungeons in the roulette though though. Either you get impatient people wanting to rush cause they've seen it all before so it ruins the experience for newbs (like running Cast/Prae now) or people will just outright ignore them or quit when they zone it (old Pharos, Steps of Faith, ect).

Who has fun doing dungeons after the first couple of times in the current system?

And you just give greater rewards in EX dungeons.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Who has fun doing dungeons after the first couple of times in the current system?

And you just give greater rewards in EX dungeons.

The point is that if you for any reason need any of the instances - the roulette system will provide you with a party. Repeatability of content is kind of a huge issue because of how the game is designed. Content already dies out really fast? If dungeons aren't necessary to run more than a few times either then what's a new/late player to do? The entire game model needs to be reworked at the core.

Tabris

The point is that if you for any reason need any of the instances - the roulette system will provide you with a party. Repeatability of content is kind of a huge issue because of how the game is designed. Content already dies out really fast? If dungeons aren't necessary to run more than a few times either then what's a new/late player to do?

That's a good question. I honestly don't know what some players do in the game without raiding. I assume they just unsubscribe and resubscribe.

Or maybe they like running the same easy and boring content over and over.

WolvenOne

I feel like they should keep a rotation of four dungeons in the roulette, but I'm not sure how to do that with the ilevel increase patches- ilevel sync, I guess?

I kinda feel like they're going to have to use ilvl sync's more frequently this time around. I mean, Fractal and Neverreap are pretty face-pull around ilvl190, they've got to be stupid-easy at 210, and beyond that when people are at ilvl250 or whatnot it'd just get absurd. Granted, some people like absurdly easy dungeons, buuuut, I kinda feel like beyond a certain point it's actually a detriment. The only time it's nice is when you have to do a dungeon grind for things like Relics, and hopefully they don't lean on that as much this time around.

PS: I'm not opposed to the idea of Extreme Dungeons but I feel like those should be designed to be something you do once weekly, rather than highly repeatable highly farmable normal dungeons.

Tabris

Nevereap and Fractal were facepull easy at i150. Like every dungeon in this game except maybe AV.

I really want to know which person actually enjoys dungeons after the first couple of times so I can understand the appeal, because I don't. They are so boring.

Pachimari

Anyone using this Guildwork Client with the game?

I'm also reading this on the Ultros FC website:

SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION

Please setup your display name as your character name before submitting your application to help us identify you. Follow the instructions below:

1. Open the drop-down menu on your Guildwork username
2. Select the 'Settings' option
3. Enter your full character name in the 'Display Name' field

Once you have completed and submitted this form, please log in to the game and apply to our Free Company using the in-game application feature.

Where do I find my Guildwork username?
And I have been a member before but with a different character, should I sign up as a new member or returning member then?

hamchan

That's a good question. I honestly don't know what some players do in the game without raiding. I assume they just unsubscribe and resubscribe.

Or maybe they like running the same easy and boring content over and over.

Kinda the whole MMO genre for 95% of the playtime.

Tabris

This game needs more weekly gating. The reason why content dries up so quickly is you just spam it in the beginning, get your item(s) but also get super bored / burned out on it.

Kenai

Nevereap and Fractal were facepull easy at i150. Like every dungeon in this game except maybe AV.

I really want to know which person actually enjoys dungeons after the first couple of times so I can understand the appeal, because I don't. They are so boring.

Revisionist history aside, DF is designed to be an easier way to clear content the first time you do it, vs making your own group get tomes on subsequent runs, and as a low key place to run with alts/strangers in group content. What is old and boring to you is something other people haven't experienced yet, or maybe have run a handful of times the last few months so they aren't exactly bored yet. By the time they are? The new patch will have already dropped, and then some.

DF roulette is 100% designed with casual play in mind and you're gonna have to accept that. Whether or not it could be designed better to appeal to those of us who log in everyday is another argument, but designing DF for those people specifically is not going to happen. It's made to be accommodating, not restrictive or grueling, and never will be.

This game needs more weekly gating. The reason why content dries up so quickly is you just spam it in the beginning, get your item(s) but also get super bored / burned out on it.

just go play ffxi or wildstar then. weekly gating is dumb and if it occurred im sure you'd just be complaining about the weekly gates

Tabris

I currently log in 4 times a week at most, and I play less than 12-16hrs a week (9hrs of raiding + pvp time + casual chatting) usually.

Yet I'm content dry except for raid.

I don't know what people that log in daily do.

just go play ffxi then. weekly gating is dumb and if it occurred im sure you'd just be complaining about the weekly gates

Stop using that as a comeback. I like this game but I'm able to identify when there's features from other games that would benefit this. I'm trying to propose ideas on how to make this game fresh for those who play at least a little bit more then a couple times a week.

I love weekly gates as long as you have enough content variety.

WolvenOne

Revisionist history aside, DF is designed to be an easier way to clear content the first time you do it, vs making your own group get tomes on subsequent runs, and as a low key place to run with alts/strangers in group content. What is old and boring to you is something other people haven't experienced yet, or maybe have run a handful of times the last few months so they aren't exactly bored yet. By the time they are? The new patch will have already dropped, and then some.

DF roulette is 100% designed with casual play in mind and you're gonna have to accept that. Whether or not it could be designed better to appeal to those of us who log in everyday is another argument, but designing DF for those people specifically is not going to happen. It's made to be accommodating, not restrictive or grueling, and never will be.

Hate to be an echo chamber, but I agree! DF dungeons are meant for casual players, not people that log on daily and are actively looking for challenging content. For those players an Extreme Dungeon would be a better fit, but it'd have to be designed in a fundamentally different way.

What's more, I'm not certain an Extreme Dungeon would be a good use of resources. I mean, if you're talking raid tier dungeons, I don't think that'd get a lot of traffic.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Raids and scrips already feel like a job precisely because of timegating. After two or three times you kinda start to see through it, in a "well, whatever, I'll just grind this thing out when they unlock it" and it leads to a burnout just as well.

Sorian

Banned
I currently log in 4 times a week at most, and I play less than 12-16hrs a week (9hrs of raiding + pvp time + casual chatting) usually.

Yet I'm content dry except for raid.

I don't know what people that log in daily do.

Stop using that as a comeback. I like this game but I'm able to identify when there's features from other games that would benefit this. I'm trying to propose ideas on how to make this game fresh for those who play at least a little bit more then a couple times a week.

I love weekly gates as long as you have enough content variety.

Maybe the game doesn't need to take up so much of my time? Maybe I like that I can be more leisurely about logging in and playing?

iammeiam

What's more, I'm not certain an Extreme Dungeon would be a good use of resources. I mean, if you're talking raid tier dungeons, I don't think that'd get a lot of traffic.

Challenging content with smaller groups that functions outside of the static system would be amazing, though. This has been on my wishlist forever, but the loot piñata mentality behind the game makes it hard for me to figure out how they'd motivate people to do it without sticking some gear in there and adding a lockout which is exactly counter to what I'd want out of it.

I'd still like them to try.

Tabris

Maybe the game doesn't need to take up so much of my time? Maybe I like that I can be more leisurely about logging in and playing?

Weekly gating doesn't mean you play more, it usually means you play less (or more evenly instead of front loaded). But the more important thing with weekly gating is it means you do a variety of content instead of running the same thing over and over.

So yes, I agree, nice not to have to spend as much time in the game, but the time I do spend in the game I want to be doing different things.

WolvenOne

Thing is, you cannot ask the developers to give hard-core players more to do at the expense of giving casual players less to do.

Challenging content with smaller groups that functions outside of the static system would be amazing, though. This has been on my wishlist forever, but the loot piñata mentality behind the game makes it hard for me to figure out how they'd motivate people to do it without sticking some gear in there and adding a lockout which is exactly counter to what I'd want out of it.

I'd still like them to try.

Okay, well if it were up to me, I'd do it like this. Each patch contains one Extreme Dungeon, each is basically a much harder version of the original lvl50 2.X dungeons. Once a week a quest opens up that requires you to complete this dungeon, and upon completion you get a token. The token, is then used in conjunction with Tomes to get high level gear. This wouldn't be the only way to get one of these tokens but the other methods would either require additional time or extra Tomes. In addition to these tokens however, each boss drops at least one highly valuable crafting material, so there's some incentive to go back in even after you've gotten your Token.

Sorian

Banned
Weekly gating doesn't mean you play more, it usually means you play less (or more evenly instead of front loaded). But the more important thing with weekly gating is it means you do a variety of content instead of running the same thing over and over.

So yes, I agree, nice not to have to spend as much time in the game, but the time I do spend in the game I want to be doing different things.

Weekly gating runs into the issue of feeling like I can never take a week off for a vacation or some other important event because now I'll always be behind until the next content cycle. It's already a necessary evil with weekly lockout on comms.

they have weekly gating right now on eso and that hasnt stopped you from complaining about variety. It obviously means that gating isnt the key issue here so idk why you keep thinking itll work at all. yea there isnt a lot of variety in terms of dungeons, but like sorian said, w/ gates you feel like you can never take a week off. Im on vacation next week, and I'm already dreading having to grind out tomes to meet cap to be relevant in the gear cycle and alexander. And I have grind scrips which are 10x worse than grinding esoterics.

The same thing can be said about alexander savage. Groups that have ppl drop or ppl off for vacations or w/e are behind b/c theyre missing lockouts all the time. Thankfully they allowed help from other groups but it still sucks when you miss a week of loot b/c 2-3 members are out that week

Raxious

Guys, I'm returning to FF XIV but not sure which server, used to play on Ultros but from what i'm hearing it's kinda dead. What would you guys recommend?

Top Bottom