• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Kenai

Hate to be an echo chamber, but I agree! DF dungeons are meant for casual players, not people that log on daily and are actively looking for challenging content. For those players an Extreme Dungeon would be a better fit, but it'd have to be designed in a fundamentally different way.

What's more, I'm not certain an Extreme Dungeon would be a good use of resources. I mean, if you're talking raid tier dungeons, I don't think that'd get a lot of traffic.

We can pretend Extreme Primals are kinda filling that gap, cause they kinda are. They are also a useful way to get weapons for alt jobs, and drop tomes to boot.

I currently log in 4 times a week at most, and I play less than 12-16hrs a week (9hrs of raiding + pvp time + casual chatting) usually.

Yet I'm content dry except for raid.

I don't know what people that log in daily do.

Stop using that as a comeback. I like this game but I'm able to identify when there's features from other games that would benefit this. I'm trying to propose ideas on how to make this game fresh for those who play at least a little bit more then a couple times a week.

I love weekly gates as long as you have enough content variety.

Well, i feel like there's a couple of elephants in the room. You are not doing all the content as far as I can tell, cause I don't think you care about crafter/gatherer scripts and aren't really playing the MB to prepare for the inevitable 3.1 relic gilsink (and perhaps others). Which is fine, but I also don't understand why you can't apply that to other people who don' care about the same things you do, and don't wanna be bothered to feel forced to do parts of the game that they don't like, same as you. I feel like if you would feel forced to do all your crafter/gatherer scripts and they made the best raid food untradable and made from mats on once-a rl day nodes that spawned at random times that weren't instanced so pray to rnjesus you got there first, you'd have something to do. You might even like doing a lot of what I just mentioned. But a huge amount of the playerbase would not, and SE has to keep their pocketbooks in mind so they can even provide content like AS at all.

So they make a lot of the content optional so you can choose to do it, or do something else if you don't like it. I prefer this style vs FF11, cause that literally did feel like a job and I ain't got time for that like i did in uni.

Guys, I'm returning to FF XIV but not sure which server, used to play on Ultros but from what i'm hearing it's kinda dead. What would you guys recommend?

if you dont have the 1 character account, you can make them on all different servers and feel out which ones you like

Sorian

Banned
The same thing can be said about alexander savage. Groups that have ppl drop or ppl off for vacations or w/e are behind b/c theyre missing lockouts all the time. Thankfully they allowed help from other groups but it still sucks when you miss a week of loot b/c 2-3 members are out that week

Plus if you do clear something without those people missing for a week, they are behind the rest of your group now in terms of gearing. Our OT missed our first A2S clear so he will be a week behind everyone else on page turn ins.

WolvenOne

We can pretend Extreme Primals are kinda filling that gap, cause they kinda are. They are also a useful way to get weapons for alt jobs, and drop tomes to boot.

It does, but wanting a bit extra for middle tier players is pretty normal I think. Granted, finding ways to make it relevant without making it mandatory is kinda difficult.

Plus, yeah there's a development budget to be aware of.

Tabris

What's funny about this is most of you responding against weekly lockouts and content variety play the game a lot more then me. Except maybe Sorian. Actually with all that TT and chocobo racing you did, you're ahead of me.

What's funny about this is most of you responding against weekly lockouts and content variety play the game a lot more then me. Except maybe Sorian. Actually with all that TT and chocobo racing you did, you're ahead of me.

or less than you. Idk how you can tell how long other ppl play. It seems at this point you have nothing useful to add anymore.

Sorian

Banned

Ever since 3.0 dropped, I haven't done much though. I even dropped my TT collecting habit for now until I get closer to having enough for my Cloud card.

Tabris

or less than you. Idk how you can tell how long other ppl play. It seems at this point you have nothing useful to add anymore.

Based on their jobs levelled up, mounts/minions, and current gear. You give me your character name and I can tell if you've played more then me.

I don't have anything to add as we just disagree. I think weekly lockout with content variety are key to keeping game fresh. So you can run like 5 different things once a week instead of 1 thing 5 times. Weekly lockouts are one of the easiest ways to ensure content variety.

The vacation point is fair and is a downside to the lockout system.

Ever since 3.0 dropped, I haven't done much though. I even dropped my TT collecting habit for now until I get closer to having enough for my Cloud card.

How many times did you run WoD and Aery for cards? I have done WoD and Aery both three times :)

Based on their jobs levelled up and current gear. I don't have anything to add as we just disagree. I think weekly lockout with content variety. So you run like 5 different things 1 a week instead of 1 thing 5 times. Weekly lockouts are one of the easiest ways to ensure content variety.

The vacation point is fair and is a downside to the lockout system.

How many times did you run WoD and Aery for cards? I have done WoD and Aery both three times :)

I have one lvl 60 and two gatherers at 60 and my eso weapon and everything except the body from alex nm which I wont get so based on other ppl I play way less than them or way less efficiently. I do agree with variety being an issue, but yes we just have to disagree on lockouts ensuring variety.

Jayhawk

Yoshida said:
For the three tank jobs, with melee and ranged burst DPS going up, we think holding enmity might be a bit tougher than anticipated, so we're continuing to watch the logs. In some cases, it seems tough even when players are equipped with the same item level, so we think it might be good to raise the enmity of the abilities a bit.

PUG Bard who couldn't stop talking said:
My Pugilist is only level 7, so I am not sure... but Natasha, have you tried looking into cross-classing Quelling Strikes so you wouldn't steal hate from the Jagd Doll?

._.

Ferr986

Weekly gating runs into the issue of feeling like I can never take a week off for a vacation or some other important event because now I'll always be behind until the next content cycle. It's already a necessary evil with weekly lockout on comms.

Yeah, I hate feeling to be tied to this game weekly because of the gating. It's especially shitty with BTN red scripts because I'm also tied to the ingame clock.

My solution, not giving a damn about red scripts (I still do my esos but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep up if 3.1 doesn't land till October).

WolvenOne

Yeah, I heard they were seriously considering looking into increasing the emnity bonus tanks get. Go for it, it may not be necessary but if it lets me go make a sandwich while tanking I'm all for it. XD

On Red-Scrips, it's not too bad now, but I do feel kinda like it needs to be a bit eased up for people that want to craft/gather more casually. Probably pretty close to where it needs to be for Gatherers actually, but I'm told the crafting side is worse.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, I hate feeling to be tied to this game weekly because of the gating. It's especially shitty with BTN red scripts because I'm also tied to the ingame clock.

My solution, not giving a damn about red scripts (I still do my esos but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep up if 3.1 doesn't land till October).

It's funny because red scrips are actually great. I can still collect everything I need regardless of whether I am capped or not. I walked over to the vendor yesterday when I first logged in and got almost 300 of my scrips for the week because I was hoem most of last weekend and could just walk over to the comp to check the in game time every so often.

It's funny because red scrips are actually great. I can still collect everything I need regardless of whether I am capped or not. I walked over to the vendor yesterday when I first logged in and got almost 300 of my scrips for the week because I was hoem most of last weekend and could just walk over to the comp to check the in game time every so often.

the only bullshit part right now is nodes ending at x:55 and disappearing

WolvenOne

the only bullshit part right now is nodes ending at x:55 and disappearing

Yes, this is absolutely the most annoying part of Gathering right now. The windows for unspoiled nodes at lvl50 were quite generous, you could start traveling to the node an in-game hour late and still get your gathering done with time to spare. The way it's set up right now, if you're 15 minutes late and have just changed your class, you won't have enough GP unless you blow a Cordial. If there's another node that pops an in-game hour after another, you'll miss it unless you have a cordial to pop, and even then you'll cut it a bit close.

I feel like they should extend out the node-uptime by an in-game hour. Time gating the nodes is bad enough without having to go around these small little windows.

Aselith

Yes, this is absolutely the most annoying part of Gathering right now. The windows for unspoiled nodes at lvl50 were quite generous, you could start traveling to the node an in-game hour late and still get your gathering done with time to spare. The way it's set up right now, if you're 15 minutes late and have just changed your class, you won't have enough GP unless you blow a Cordial. If there's another node that pops an in-game hour after another, you'll miss it unless you have a cordial to pop, and even then you'll cut it a bit close.

I feel like they should extend out the node-uptime by an in-game hour. Time gating the nodes is bad enough without having to go around these small little windows.

I'm wondering if that was the intent as you didn't really need Cordials to do high level nodes before since you couldn't pop one during the gathering attempt.

Kenai

Maybe that's why we know most of your suggestions aren't realistic.

Not trying to be mean, and FFXIV certainly could do a some stuff better, but additional gating and turning casual content into things it wasn't designed to be isn't going to do anything positive.

WolvenOne

I'm wondering if that was the intent as you didn't really need Cordials to do high level nodes before since you couldn't pop one during the gathering attempt.

I still used Cordials at level 50, just because standing around and waiting an ice age for GP to replenish normally felt like a waste of my time. Thing is, those Cordials are on a really hefty cooldown, so if you use them at the wrong time you can easily be up the creek without a paddle. Case in point. Node A pops at 11AM in-game. You notice 10 in game minutes before, change your class, and blow a Cordial so you have enough GP to work the node. Node B then pops at Noon, your GP is at zero and Cordials are on Cooldown for the next five minutes. You're pretty much locked out from working Node B at this point.

Before, in this sort of situation, you could afford to wait a bit for GP to refill, or for Cordials to go off Cooldown, now you have to watch the clock closely, switch to classes early, and time your cordials accordingly if you want to make each node.

Honestly that sort of management is fun for awhile, but it becomes annoying after the first few days.

Jayhawk

They decreased the amount of time nodes stay up but they doubled the amount of times nodes pop per hour, excluding legendary nodes that only pop once per hour. I prefer having double the nodes. If you miss a node or won't have enough GP in time, guess what? The node will be up again in 28 minutes, AND in 58 minutes instead of just in 58 minutes.

IvorB

Nevereap and Fractal were facepull easy at i150. Like every dungeon in this game except maybe AV.

I really want to know which person actually enjoys dungeons after the first couple of times so I can understand the appeal, because I don't. They are so boring.

I enjoy them. It's fun, relaxing content and you can work on your moves. Normally by the time I start getting sick of them they add some new ones. But, yeah, the trash -> boss -> trash layout is a bit played out.

Valor

Ultros feels kind of dead some days. A lot of the good progression raiders left and there don't seem to be a lot of high level or caliber players left. However, for the more casual sort I think it's a pretty nice server with a bunch of activity.

So yeah. Dead and alive. It's all a matter of perspective?

dramatis

Anyone using this Guildwork Client with the game?

I'm also reading this on the Ultros FC website:

Where do I find my Guildwork username?
And I have been a member before but with a different character, should I sign up as a new member or returning member then?
The Guildwork username is like how you have the username on the upper right of your GAF window. It's an "access to account details" link like you have on most websites nowadays.

If you were a member before and you had already submitted a registration on the Guildworks site, apply in-game and tell us your GAF username in the message space. We'll know you were a former member of the FC.

Ultros feels kind of dead some days. A lot of the good progression raiders left and there don't seem to be a lot of high level or caliber players left. However, for the more casual sort I think it's a pretty nice server with a bunch of activity.

So yeah. Dead and alive. It's all a matter of perspective?

Groups tend to just stick to themselves.

Lanrutcon

I enjoy them. It's fun, relaxing content and you can work on your moves. Normally by the time I start getting sick of them they add some new ones. But, yeah, the trash -> boss -> trash layout is a bit played out.

Tornado bird boss is annoying and unfun.

The more populated servers are nice but, Ultros isn't that bad?

----

[Newegg] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward [PC/PS3] ($24.99 / 37% off) with promo code: EMCAWKR94 (must be signed in)
24 HOURS ONLY **Promotion expires at 11:59PM PT on 8/14/15.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/3h0868/newegg_final_fantasy_xiv_heavensward_pcps3_2499/

Is this a physical copy? I need to get the expansion, but I'm level 49 right now and would like to continue leveling over the weekend. Do they email the code to you?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Challenging content with smaller groups that functions outside of the static system would be amazing, though. This has been on my wishlist forever, but the loot piñata mentality behind the game makes it hard for me to figure out how they'd motivate people to do it without sticking some gear in there and adding a lockout which is exactly counter to what I'd want out of it.

I'd still like them to try.

I wouldn't mind some sort of time trial mode for dungeons, but even if there was some sort of standard issue gear that everyone would be required to equip for it we'd still have the matter of some classes being better suited to certain situations that others resulting in cetain folks getting exempt from groups. Just thinking out loud, but finding a way to make content fast and fun like that would be nice. I think WoW tried something similar but don't know how that faired.

Croyles

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

You don't say Kagari. I'm sure he/she is aware of that life tip.

Just saying what i've been reading, not saying it's true. That's why I'm asking here.

Ultros is probably a mid-population server atm. Doesn't come anywhere close to Gilgamesh and the like, but it suits me just fine. Every once in a while i'll get frustrated by its meagre Party Finder but other than that I enjoy it.
It's by no means dead, it's just that when the game first launched it was one of the most populated servers, as far as I recall.

docbon

Challenging content with smaller groups that functions outside of the static system would be amazing, though. This has been on my wishlist forever, but the loot piñata mentality behind the game makes it hard for me to figure out how they'd motivate people to do it without sticking some gear in there and adding a lockout which is exactly counter to what I'd want out of it.

I'd still like them to try.

boy do i have the game for you

getting gold in sanctuary of the sword maiden was probably the most stressful non-raid content i've played to date.

Redx508

z8a.gif

Kenai

I wouldn't mind some sort of time trial mode for dungeons, but even if there was some sort of standard issue gear that everyone would be required to equip for it we'd still have the matter of some classes being better suited to certain situations that others resulting in cetain folks getting exempt from groups. Just thinking out loud, but finding a way to make content fast and fun like that would be nice. I think WoW tried something similar but don't know how that faired.

WoW did (still does) have time trial dungeons for Heroics. The dungeons have to be played absolutely perfectly to get Gold and are ilvl capped. Some comps are definitely more favored than others as well.

I think it is somewhat popular? I dunno.

Alex

WoW did (still does) have time trial dungeons for Heroics. The dungeons have to be played absolutely perfectly to get Gold and are ilvl capped. Some comps are definitely more favored than others as well.

I think it is somewhat popular? I dunno.

It's not even remotely popular.

People take the path of least resistance, if you want people in content the rewards have to match the effort. If I can go show up to some (literal) easy mode raid and just because it's a raid get better gear than a difficult dungeon then why would I go do the dungeon? These games are too much about efficiency, sadly.

The yearning for dungeon content is mostly formation, people don't like forming and reforming raid groups. It's enough of a pain in WoW even with the scaling systems and less fragile mechanics let alone what a disaster it can be to fill a raid group here. Personal anecdote but I had to guild hop more from 2.0 to 2.3 in ARR more than every expansion of WoW combined.

But yeah... smaller/easier formation is a big thing, people wanna fight the content not the social elements. In my like...15 years of MMOs most people I've met while raiding actually don't want to raid compared to other options/ideas but what choice do you have in this genre? We'll be stuck in EQs loop until the sun burns out.

i just want larger+tougher multi-path dungeons with nice loot. wipes all day but good loot. some random spawns. rare spawns with extra loot. higher ilvl but not quite raid tier. doesn't need to be in duty finder. people have to socialize in front of the dungeons, big deal. you have to be there to enter. do you know the loc. of the dungeon you last entered? heh.

just put swimsuits in there and everyone will go.

I feel like wiping in Coil was a lot more fun than Alexander so far.

The treadmill is only really fun the first time. Then you realize that MMOs are designed like the gaming version of Sisyphus, you roll the rock up the hill, it rolls down, you roll it up the hill, it rolls down. Forever.

Top Bottom