• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Was so hyped for this expansion but I'm still just 52 because leveling my white mage is so horrible. 1-50 wasn't bad at all but its like they tripped all the 50+ mobs HP just to make them take longer to die, I can only stand casting stone 2 15+ times into a mob for so long. Still haven't evne unlocked a new dungeon ffs.

I've only completed the first dungeon of Heavensward and gotten to 52. I've been working a convention this weekend so the early access I got was pretty much unusable for me.

I know that no one is quite there yet, but if anyone anywhere gets to the credits can anyone take a screenshot of the English cast list? I'm under the impression they outsourced all the new cast. I'm super interested in who is playing who so I can pin point location and studio. Many of the old voice actors are still promoting Heavensward on social media, having no idea they were even replaced (which leads me to believe most of them recorded their lines initially a couple months ago), and it's really kinda sad/messed up.

As for the story, I'm having a hard time paying attention, way too focused on the character changes presented. So far it's going places I didn't expect, but not sure if I like it. I feel like I'm too early in to really judge. Though it does seem to be pretty fast-paced...

That's a pretty scumbag move if true.

Is there a reason for SE to reset my character's level? I was lvl 50 when I left the game, about a year ago and now I'm lvl 4.

You either logged on the wrong account or the wrong server. For the server, on character selection, you can go back and select another, for the account well that's for you to find which one is the right one, mogstation might have some info though.

Was so hyped for this expansion but I'm still just 52 because leveling my white mage is so horrible. 1-50 wasn't bad at all but its like they tripped all the 50+ mobs HP just to make them take longer to die, I can only stand casting stone 2 15+ times into a mob for so long. Still haven't evne unlocked a new dungeon ffs.

I haven't felt much difference on my AST. i130 weapon though. Everything tends to die in ~15seconds, I can generally pull 2mobs at once and kill them in around 20seconds so it speeds up. Make sure you're using a chocobo, they do ridiculous damage once they're 51 due to the rescaling. Without the chocobo, it's noticeably slower, he does like 60-70% of my damage.

Sophia

I've only completed the first dungeon of Heavensward and gotten to 52. I've been working a convention this weekend so the early access I got was pretty much unusable for me.

I know that no one is quite there yet, but if anyone anywhere gets to the credits can anyone take a screenshot of the English cast list? I'm under the impression they outsourced all the new cast. I'm super interested in who is playing who so I can pin point location and studio. Many of the old voice actors are still promoting Heavensward on social media, having no idea they were even replaced (which leads me to believe most of them recorded their lines initially a couple months ago), and it's really kinda sad/messed up.

As for the story, I'm having a hard time paying attention, way too focused on the character changes presented. So far it's going places I didn't expect, but not sure if I like it. I feel like I'm too early in to really judge. Though it does seem to be pretty fast-paced...

Just as a precaution gonna spoil some of these as I have no idea if they appear in Main Scenario or not.

I saw Taliesin Jaffe (who plays Thancred) post about it on his personal Facebook, but promptly delete it once it was pointed out.

Sam Riegel (who plays Alphinaud) didn't seem to have any idea based on his Twitter conversation with a few fans. Ever since he seemed to realize... tweets about FFXIV have been silent.

There's a few others but I wanna make sure to post sources, and I gotta get out of the door like five minutes ago. The last thing I wanna do is spread misinformation. I think most of the VOs don't realize cause they were just at E3 promoting new projects.

That's.... really scummy if they didn't even know they were replaced. What the hell?

Some preliminary ninja stuff:

I think Shade Shift is an overall improvement from Perfect Dodge. It doesn't seem to be blocking magic damage which is disappointing but it can absorb quite a few attacks. A little lame that they didn't add any cool shadow clone animations to go along with it.

Evasion seems to have been enhanced. Judging by the Feather Foot nerf and how I'm dodging a lot of attacks now, especially with Feather Foot up something has definitely changed. i never used to dodge anything before.I also noticed a decent amount of evasion on Dark Knight.

I like having armor crush to extend Huton. I'm just shy of level 57 but with the added positionals and new abilities, Ninja is extremely active now, especially without a Warrior. Being able to weave in more Ninjutsu is really nice but Mudra latency is still a thing unfortunately. The Ninjutsu themselves still need balancing as well. Personally, I think it would be nice if they undid the previous nerfs as they are no longer needed.

Shadewalker is a really fun ability. Throw it on the tank and then pull the boss/mobs. It also helps stabilize the opening to fights and phase changes so DPS can go all out. Not super useful but better than our other enmity ability.

Smoke Screen has it's uses but being a player target skill makes it bothersome. I wish it would just automatically apply to whatever non-tank player has the highest enmity. I find myself using it occasionally.

Still don't have Duality and Dream within a Dream yet. I'm disappointed that Duality is basically Barrage though and only applies to one weaponskill.

No math done yet on skill speed but I think skill speed and crit are going to be the way to go. I feel TP is going to be a problem if BRD/MCH don't start singing more. Having TP issues on Dark Knight occasionally and I think Ninja is going to have some issues once at end game with high skill speed.

Still fun to play but definitely underwhelming compared to the changes and enhancements to other jobs.

Elfstruck

You either logged on the wrong account or the wrong server. For the server, on character selection, you can go back and select another, for the account well that's for you to find which one is the right one, mogstation might have some info though.

Also, are you on the right job? You may have had one job at 50 and another at 4.

I already checked guys :( I even check on the ffxiv website, and my character is indeed lvl 4.

I contacted their support and hopefully they will be able to shed some light into this.

Couerlregina part 3

rt9oiKO.jpg

Man

So when the clock turns midnight today... will new Heavensward players be able to play straight away or will a code be e-mailed (PS4) ?

Pachimari

Just wanna give sound from me. But I won't be online for the next two weeks unfortunately. I'm not home for all these days but I'm excited to get back in!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So when the clock turns midnight today... will new Heavensward players be able to play straight away or will a code be e-mailed (PS4) ?
Digital bundle? When the timer runs out you'll be able to boot the game and be taken to a webpage that lets you link the game bundle to an SE account or create one if you don't have it.

You don't have to enter any codes or wait for an email, just have to complete the registration process and agreeing to the ToS.

Man

Digital bundle? When the timer runs out you'll be able to boot the game and be taken to a webpage that lets you link the game bundle to an SE account or create one if you don't have it.

You don't have to enter any codes or wait for an email, just have to complete the registration process and agreeing to the ToS.
Yeah. Final Fantasy XIV: Online - Early Purchase Bundle. Thanks.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

iammeiam

Barrage is terrible now imo

Barrage is different but acceptably different to me.

I don't really have a problem with them nerfing our AA damage, and doing what they did to barrage is an acceptable part of that. Plus Buffs + Barrage + Empyreal Arrow is like... how I killed everything leveling.

I'm actually pretty okay with essentially everything but the way they handled Minuet. Cast times are a fundamental class change, and a lot of how Bard works up to 52 is just flat wrong in the post-Minuet world. We're now I think the weakest when it comes to attacking in a movement-heavy fight, as anything that requires consecutive dodges without at least 1.5 seconds of downtime in between means we're probably losing the GCD (where this gets messy is when you're constantly moving for, say, five seconds. You lose the GCD, but it's not long enough to seriously consider dropping Minuet AFAIK.)

It's possible I guess that someone will theory craft out a way that turning Minuet off *ever* makes sense, but all of our big cool skills mandate it's up (Iron Jaws goes a long way to addressing our TP drain problems, and EA and Sidewinder give us some pretty hefty attacks), AA isn't a big deal anymore, and 3 second fucking cast time.

I mean, I've said before and I'll say again that new bard isn't an inherently bad class, it's just fundamentally different in a way that sacrifices a lot of what I liked about 2.x bard. Finally having all the skills unlocked gives me room to mess around with it more and see if I can adapt, but right now I actually *like* level sync because it lets me play the job I enjoy even if it means losing shiny new toys. I'm curious to try out machinist, because Gauss Barrel sounds like Minuet but with better implementation. The complete lack of a movement-friendly GCD on a class that was, prior to this patch, all about mobility is insane to me unless you come at it from the perspective that old bard was just totally broken.

So I mean... Barrage is like the least of our problems.

Tuesday June 23 is the release, not Monday, and they haven't really given the start time, but they did say 1:00am Pacific Time is when the bonus items would be available, so that's probably when the service is starting.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Alright, story's over. Time to grind ~2700 hunt seals and ~3500 law tomestones per class. Fun is to be had.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ah, the MMO patch cycle continues. Everyone's class sucks balls the moment changes are introduced always.

I play BRD and hope this is merely hyperbolic whining
Wanderer's Minuet is the exact opposite play style of what Bards have always been.

Uthred

Enjoying the story but after the first few new levels just doing the MSQ doesnt give you anywhere enough xp to go through it smoothly, makes the pacing feel wonky as you have to grind out half a level or so of xp to progress

Kusagari

Enjoying the story but after the first few new levels just doing the MSQ doesnt give you anywhere enough xp to go through it smoothly, makes the pacing feel wonky as you have to grind out half a level or so of xp to progress

Yeah, for me it hit a grind by the time I hit 52. I mean you have to do the other quests anyway for possible aether currents so it's not that bad, but man I dread having to level another class to 60.

Z3M0G

Yeah, for me it hit a grind by the time I hit 52. I mean you have to do the other quests anyway for possible aether currents so it's not that bad, but man I dread having to level another class to 60.

Wouldnt the xpansion come with new area quests for this?

rubius01

Ah, the MMO patch cycle continues. Everyone's class sucks balls the moment changes are introduced always.

I play BRD and hope this is merely hyperbolic whining

Like Angary said, the changes aren't bad, per say, they just make bard play fundamentally different. Which makes me think that either in a month or two there's gonna be a massive overhaul of Wanderer's or the fights going on in the future will not have as many dodge mechanics as ARR.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Like Angary said, the changes aren't bad, per say, they just make bard play fundamentally different. Which makes me think that either in a month or two there's gonna be a massive overhaul of Wanderer's or the fights going on in the future will not have as many dodge mechanics as ARR.

Oh man if current instances are of any indication there's gonna be lots more dodge mechanics.

iammeiam

Really all they have to do to 'fix' the biggest standout issue is give us a method to make Heavy Shot instant cast. Or... Actually, make Straight Shot instant cast always, not just on straighter shot proc, if they want to punish us for mobility. It's a slightly higher TP cost and lower potency, but it lets us do *something* while moving. 140 potency per Straight Shot when we can't do anything else is worse than 150 for Heavy Shot, but better than the 0 we currently get unless dodging happens to coincide with a proc (and it doesn't, it always coincides with DoT refresh. ALWAYS)

Bard would still play wrong, but it would feel less frustrating.

Wilsongt

Let's see, it has been a bit under 60 hours since early access and people are already done with the story and extreme primals.

Cue the next two weeks of bitchif about there being nothing to do except grind hunts and tomestones.

Aselith

Let's see, it has been a bit under 60 hours since early access and people are already done with the story and extreme primals.

Cue the next two weeks of bitchif about there being nothing to do except grind hunts and tomestones.

Psshh now they're ready to start gearing up.

Top Bottom