• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

I'm not even sure how a BLM can only do 400 DPS on the bosses in Fractal, but I just had that in my EXDR this morning.

Didn't use a single one of the new skills/spells.

I should be able to report people like that for wasting my time.

IvorB

Oh I didn't know that. I am planning to dive into those classes so I can make my own stuff, but am focusing on the regular classes right now.

I realized I never did the quest to unlock the challenge log. I've largely been avoiding side quests to save them for when I'm doing the other classes. I suppose I should start dipping into those more.

Dungeons and guildhests I haven't been able to do much of unfortunately other than the first time for the story. I've been able to run with some members of my FC but with work I often miss them. Duty roulette still confuses me a bit. The one I know is up right now last in checked indicated a tank but I'm DPS though I may be misunderstanding that.

Yeah definitely unlock your challenge log asap for lot's of bonus XP. Also try and make sure you do each guildhest as they unlock because that's like your training programme. You can join duty roulettes as any role. Maybe you saw the 'adventurer in need bonus' which is something different.

YQ7qfO0.jpg

We cleared A2S yesterday and then Haman continued to stream so that the people on Twitch could hear our post-match conversation about how Killer Instinct is trash and Tech Romancer is the best fighting game.

Grisby

Need some help with Heavensward.

So, I bought the disc on launch day and installed it to my ps4 some time after. I haven't touched any of the new content but I kept wondering why I couldn't earn any new xp on my lvl 50 WHM.

Today I decided to start the expansion and I got to Alphinaud and the quest marker is red. Says, I need the expansion installed...but the HW disc is in there right now (the splash screen and everything is all HW).

So...what's up? Is this because I didn't delete the original FF14 install the first go around?

Edit- Disregard this. Stupid me forgot about the damn auth code. Sigh. One of those Sunday mornings.

Warrior. The answer is warrior.

That's the one tank I never considered. I don't want to stance dance or play as a class mainly valued for OT damage.

In most MMOs, I would go straight paladin and never look back. The meta here is very different and everyone is obsessed with damage it seems, even in low level roulettes. Also, dark knight is really fun to play. That complicates my decision. For now they share 90% the same gear, so it's not a big deal. I hit 50 on the dark knight and had massive upgrades waiting for him.

For leveling, soloing, and low level dungeons, DRK seems worlds better. Everything I've read says both classes are viable for all content. Anyone have experience with both classes in 60 dungeons? I'm unlikely to ever run savage content until folks vastly outgear it, so I'm probably over thinking things. Are there more paladins running around or is everyone a LOLDRK?

kuroshiki

Ok. I'm done with DRK. (lv 54)

As much as I like the aesthetic and cool factors, this is just too convoluted to use as a pad exclusive user.

If I just want to let grit on all the time and tank, it's cool, breeze even, but if I want to excel and do some damage with darkside and dark arts, shit gets way too much technical, and I can do better with WAR with much less stress.

As much as I like the aesthetic and cool factors, this is just too convoluted to use as a pad exclusive user.

If I just want to let grit on all the time and tank, it's cool, breeze even, but if I want to excel and do some damage with darkside and dark arts, shit gets way too much technical, and I can do better with WAR with much less stress.

If you are single targeting or off tanking a boss, the rotation is literally DA + souleater combo until you need more MP. While using salted earth/plunge/scourge when necessary and bloodsword for mp.

You can ignore DA + everything else except for very specific scenarios in stuff like savage. If your healer is down for it, you can even tank off Grit with DA + a power slash out of combo to hold with extra enmity every 3rd cycle.

I find it much less complicated than WAR.

Sifl

Do tanks normally struggle a lot on Bismarck Ex? A lot of he groups I've attempted with the tanks have messed up the swap, rarely ever goes correctly.
Edit: Replaced tank in group and got it in like 2 tries.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wow A1S is hard. Me and a group easily took down Faust but the Oppressors did us in easily.

It's a healing challenge mostly because you can't afford to spam AOE healing with the current amounts of piety.
And prey is essentially Earthshakers from T13, except doubled.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm shocked at how many groups don't have the SCH solo heal the double prey on A1S.

Almost every WHM I've talked to said they help on it. Followed by me posting a paragraph long heal combo to give their SCH lol.

"Wow it's way easier to heal this with you than the sch I run with!" Yeah no shit you are overworking.

It's not hard to do BUT it did take us a quite a bit of wipes for me to figure out the set up which starts at the very beginning of a phase to even make it work since prey targets need to be at around 90% hp when they get marked without me wasting a single atherflow or the WHM healing more than normal.

Voror

Yeah definitely unlock your challenge log asap for lot's of bonus XP. Also try and make sure you do each guildhest as they unlock because that's like your training programme. You can join duty roulettes as any role. Maybe you saw the 'adventurer in need bonus' which is something different.

Yeah, it's been a lot of help. Up to 30 now with my Lancer and just unlocked Dragoon. Done all the guildhests so far and some duty roulettes as well. That was what I saw and I misinterpreted it.

Unsure where to go from here. I do want to work my way into some of that nice armor and spears I've seen higher level Dragoons have, but figure that's a long ways off. Also not sure if that requires me to make it myself or what.

Thinking on going and leveling up some of my other classes like Marauder and Pugilist. There are some skills from the latter I've read are good for a Dragoon anyway. Want to dabble in the healing roles as well.

Action Bar is getting a bit full now, though I suppose I'll just have to get used to juggling between the two if I need to.

Alrus

Is it safe to upgrade to Windows 10, guys? I use my PC mostly for internet-y things and occasionally Final Fantasy XIV nowadays... But my main platform is still PS4.

Well the issue I had with my UI not saving and everything stemmed from Windows 10 changing my security settings and not allowing ffxiv to modify files for some reason. It's fairly simple to fix though, otherwise no other real issues no.

Wonko_C

Yeah, it's been a lot of help. Up to 30 now with my Lancer and just unlocked Dragoon. Done all the guildhests so far and some duty roulettes as well. That was what I saw and I misinterpreted it.

Unsure where to go from here. I do want to work my way into some of that nice armor and spears I've seen higher level Dragoons have, but figure that's a long ways off. Also not sure if that requires me to make it myself or what.

Thinking on going and leveling up some of my other classes like Marauder and Pugilist. There are some skills from the latter I've read are good for a Dragoon anyway. Want to dabble in the healing roles as well.

Action Bar is getting a bit full now, though I suppose I'll just have to get used to juggling between the two if I need to.

Are you playing with a controller? There's an option to hold both triggers for an extra cross hotbar.

DarkKyo

Is it likely that in time they'll put in another way to upgrade esoterics gear? I doubt I'll ever have time for savage groups but I would one day love to dye the eso gear for glamour purposes.

Alrus

Is it likely that in time they'll put in another way to upgrade esoterics gear? I doubt I'll ever have time for savage groups but I would one day love to dye the eso gear for glamour purposes.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll make those available from the next 24 man dungeons or from hunts at some point.

Man, some people get too mad.

I was doing a duty, somebody left and I was made party leader. I didn't know I was nor did I know right away how to open the game up. Some dude got upset about it (took me 5 seconds how to figure out how things work). I told him to calm down, he told me fuck off and that I was trash. lol.

Sifl

Man, some people get too mad.

I was doing a duty, somebody left and I was made party leader. I didn't know I was nor did I know right away how to open the game up. Some dude got upset about it (took me 5 seconds how to figure out how things work). I told him to calm down, he told me fuck off and that I was trash. lol.
Welcome to FF14, 90% of people are asses. Don't let this thread fool you.

Two questions:

1. When and where do I get materia? I'm level 20 and have some items that have the sockets.

2. How does the rolling for items work in the duty dungeons? The active help came up but I exited it and cannot find it.

Aselith

Two questions:

1. When and where do I get materia? I'm level 20 and have some items that have the sockets.

2. How does the rolling for items work in the duty dungeons? The active help came up but I exited it and cannot find it.

You may have noticed spiritbonding percentage on your gear? When it gets to 100% you can convert it to materia then you can socket that. But before you can convert it you have to do a quest to unlock it as noted here: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Materia_Transmutation

Rolling for items is just Need i.e. you can use it on your current character class or Greed i.e. you wants it but can't actually use it on your current class

You can Pass if you don't need it and don't want to greed because you know someone else wants it real bad or whatever.

You may have noticed spiritbonding percentage on your gear? When it gets to 100% you can convert it to materia then you can socket that. But before you can convert it you have to do a quest to unlock it as noted here: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Materia_Transmutation

Rolling for items is just Need i.e. you can use it on your current character class or Greed i.e. you wants it but can't actually use it on your current class

You can Pass if you don't need it and don't want to greed because you know someone else wants it real bad or whatever.

Ahh I see, ty.

So I'm it competing for the item against the other players?

Aselith

Ahh I see, ty.

So I'm it competing for the item against the other players?

Well...kinda. Need always trumps Greed so if you are solo tanking, which most of the time you would be, you will be the only one rolling need for tank stuff. Same thing as a healer. DPS you'll be rolling against one more DPS if it's a four man group and possibly no one else if you're a cloth caster and the other DPS is a melee DPS.

Basicallly if you're the only one in the group that can use the item right at that moment, you'll be the only one allowed to Need on it so you win by default.

Greed is a free for all though.

BadRNG

Grats to the three groups that got their AS2 clear on this page.

Pad exclusive user here, also what. There's enough room for everything, including cross class skills. Unless you PvP, then you are screwed - but so are most classes on controller now. :/

Your second half makes me think you are playing the class wrong? If I am reading you right it sounds like you are dropping Grit for Darkside? Darkside should always be up, tanking or not. There's (sadly) not a ton of thought involved with how you use Dark Arts for most stuff either. 99% of the time you will use it constantly for Soul Eater. Some fights you may want it for Dark Mind, or when doing trash or the raremultiboss fights you may want it for Dark Passenger/Dark Dance/Abyssal Drain(<-- super rare use due to insane MP cost for what you get).

Now if you do want to get into stance dancing for absolute max dps, then yeah it gets far more complicated than WAR, but I just wanted to be clear on the Darkside stuff since so many people are under the impression it is a dps stance. It is not. It's a constant buff you want up, like MNK's Fists of X or NIN's Kiss's.

Two questions:

1. You should of been sent to a goblin in Central Than at one point earlier in the main story, to get a knife or something, that area is where you learn to create materia. It's level 18? I think, go back there if you missed it. Once you have unlocked it you can convertible gear spiritbonded to 100%. It's worth noting that materia isn't really used actually on gear until cap, it's just not worth melding into slots before then as gear is replaced fast. Converting any spirtbond gear is always useful though, even if only for a small amount of extra gil. Also you can only create materia at that level, to actually meld it you will need a leveled crafter or get someone with a leveled crafter to do it for you. The item itself will say what crafter, and what level, is needed to meld at the bottom of it's description.

2. Assuming normal loot rules; the three options are Need/Greed/Pass. If the item is made for your class/role then you can Need it and you get priority over anyone who cannot, Greed is a free-for-all roll that anyone can choose but only actually rolls if no one selected Need. Pass is, well, passing on the item.

Cømet

Banned
Are you playing with a controller? There's an option to hold both triggers for an extra cross hotbar.

Mind blown, thank you good sir! This'll make cross class/PvP skills much quicker to access.

Two questions:

You get materia from converting fully spirit-bonded gear (ie gear you've maxed out the thin vertical bar on the side of the item's health). At 20 you'll probably only get grade Is, maybe some IIs. Wouldn't worry about materia melding until fifty/sixty, but it's worth picking up the questline to learn how to convert now. Can't remember if there's a precursor, but you'll want to chat to the goblin Mutamix Bubblypots at the Bonfire in NNE Central Thanalan (iirc).

For item rolls, it's RNG I think? Need beats greed (though I don't know the specifics here). Two people greed, two pass, the one with the higher greed roll gets the item. If it's a healer or tank item and that player needs, no chance you're getting it.

That's about all I know of it from my time playing :p

Is the GAF FC on Ultros pretty active and up to date with things? I really want to be active and contribute to a nice FC but I keep ending up in small ones with one or two friends that don't really do anything or keep up with content (FC house, gardening, stables, airship stuff, etc. that require group attention) so I've been wary to dedicate money or time into things like personal quarters.

Thinking about switching over, I assume it's got a lot of you playing but wanted to make sure I ask before doing a transfer and applying.

E: Any Triple Triad players? This has been the hardest thing for me. I have a gambling problem and need others to help support it.

Wonko_C

Anyone playing on Cactuar?

I'm on Cactuar, I was actually going to ask if any other gaffers were on Cactuar but I just searched this topic instead. I'm currently playing solo a lot (Disciple of the Land stuff) but getting through dungeons or bosses is always fun.

Valor

Is the GAF FC on Ultros pretty active and up to date with things?
Last I checked we had three airships, Drama is our gardening slave, and all that so yeah. We're rather up to date.

E: Any Triple Triad players? This has been the hardest thing for me. I have a gambling problem and need others to help support it.

We have card collectors for sure, and Sorian who cheats finds his way to the top of the tournaments.

Voror

Oh? I'll need to try that then thank you. Sorry if I sound so ignorant. This genre is still really new to me and I'm still picking things up.

Tabris

For those controller users that struggle with any of the following:

1) Hitting L2>R2, R2>L2 separately when using extended crossbar
2) Use sheathe/unsheathe crossbar option
3) Hitting R1 + new crossbar then double tapping R1 back

Here is what I do:

1) I set L2>R2, R2>L2 to be the same thing. I ensure I drag and drop (on PS4 use L1 + R3 to get mouse cursor to drag and drop) on to a hotbar I have displayed and use the extended menu for my most used cooldowns so I can see when they are back up without having to go to them.

2) I create 2 macros, labeled with the 1 and 2 icon. The macros are as follows:

a) 2 label - /crosshotbar change "3"
b) 1 label - /crosshotbar change "2"

Then I place them on the left dpad option on the corresponding crossbar, so whatever I'm holding at the time, I can switch between 2 different crossbar sets without having to ever let my finger go off L2 and R2.

This expands your options significantly and saves you presses as instead of having to move your fingers as follows (assuming you're holding L2 then):

Let go from L2 > Press and hold R1 > Press X > Let go from R1 > Hold L2 > Press button you want for skill/cooldown you wanted > Let go from L2 > Double tap R1 (to return) > Hold L2 (or R2) for next skill you wanted

to:

Press left d-pad > Press button you want for skill/cooldown you wanted > Press left d-pad

If the skill/cooldown is on R2 side, then insert hold R2's there.

I'm still working on my muscle memory as I did the old system for so long, that it's taking a bit of time, but this system is much faster and gives you 3.5 crossbars to work with (sheathed, unsheathed, half extended, and macro'd 3rd crossbar), and you can do 4 if you have no issues with L2>R2, R2>L2 differentiation.

Tabris

Here are screenshot examples of what I was talking about - I have redundant items on macro crossbar (just for my muscle memory mistakes right now) that can be replaced with level 60 to 70 items or PVP actions.

Sheathed crossbar
XCf9XkC.jpg

Unsheathed crossbar
mWhVwG8.jpg

Macro crossbar
Jotw5ea.jpg

Extended crossbar
THFUHfS.jpg

Top Bottom