• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
Assuming prey can be passed in Hard Mode, the OT should probably throw it on the MT, or at least stand there and take the hits. You can't dodge them because he's targetting them at you. I mean, they'll totally murder your party if you want to troll the fight by running into the middle of the party with prey on you. That could be fun, I guess.

I actually don't think that prey passes. Was running one last night and the OT was trying to give it to MT and it wasn't transferring.

iammeiam

It's not really that it's insanely difficult so much as it's a thing you have to do right and a lot of tanks just can't/couldn't handle it because there wasn't a lot of room for mistakes. DPS being unable to rotation gets beaten into the ground a lot by gear, but the execution check on the tank swap is as specific as it was day one.

Maybe a better way to put it is that DPS that couldn't meet the Bis EX DPS check (remember when we were all young and naive and Bis EX was famed for being a tough DPS check because we hadn't met Faust yet?) week one probably can now through gearing. Tanks that couldn't tank swap week one won't be able to now unless they actually got better at tank swapping.

Sorian

Banned
Maybe a better way to put it is that DPS that couldn't meet the Bis EX DPS check (remember when we were all young and naive and Bis EX was famed for being a tough DPS check because we hadn't met Faust yet?) week one probably can now through gearing. Tanks that couldn't tank swap week one won't be able to now unless they actually got better at tank swapping.

"Carapace didn't die in one round. You're all fucking junk" - Random healer before he jumped off the edge as he quit the duty.

I think some tanks find tank swapping to be hard because tank swapping doesn't honestly happen that often and when it does it doesn't involve both tanks swapping to what the other tank had aggro on while the other tank is taking aggro from the thing aggro'd on them at the same time doing it in such a way that doesn't get the rest of the party's heads decapitated.

Sorian

Banned
I think some tanks find tank swapping to be hard because tank swapping doesn't honestly happened that often and when it does it does involve both tanks swapping to what the other tank had aggro on while the other tank is taking aggro from the thing aggro'd on them.

The bolded is literally the standard definition of a tank swap.

The bolded is literally the standard definition of a tank swap.
My point is simply how often does it actually happen when there are two targets?

Tank swapping Living Liquid during the last phase is clearly easier than tank swapping the lizards during Bis. EX. Most situations in the game just involve one target to swap rather than two.

Sorian

Banned
My point is simply how often does it actually happen when there are two targets?

Tank swapping Living Liquid during the last phase is clearly easier than tank swapping the lizards during Bis. EX

The "difficulty" on the adds in BisEX is because they also have to be kept at a distance from each other during the whole swap. It would be like if there was a swap in A1S (there should have been a swap in A1S).

Yeah sometime you just gotta take matters into your own hands for that win
All this does is pump me up more to complete it, looks soooo simple here.
It's always the tanks on this fight. Was doing it today for 3-4 hours with the same group, we kept having to kick tanks that kept fucking up the swap during the snakes. We only got past that point like 3-4 times during the 4 hours.
Yea, that was one of the problems last night. Then one dude didn't hit his dk and another didn't jump off his back.

At least adding this to duty finder would make getting party's quicker as of now it's really a dice roll as to whether or not you can get one formed.

The "difficulty" on the adds in BisEX is because they also have to be kept at a distance from each other during the whole swap. It would be like if there was a swap in A1S (there should have been a swap in A1S).
In my mind I'm seeing a tank swap failing, leading to damage buff leading to raid wipe via Gunnery Pod.

Tank swapping Living Liquid during the last phase is clearly easier than tank swapping the lizards during Bis. EX

Looks beautiful when it's done properly though. I'd never sully myself by pugging it though.

Living Liquid on the other hand in the DF still has me swapping with a tank that tries fruitlessly to keep aggro after the switch like I'm offending him by taking it. It's also rare to get a MT that knows to soak the party with the hands too.

I wish they'd give WAR a PLD cover equivalent instead it's just a shove to knock stupid people out of the way.

Alrus

I greatly regret my "heh I'll do it later" attitude toward bismark ex when there were still a ton of people needing it. I feel like it's going to be really annoying to do now, then it'll be annoying to clear Rav ex and I'll end up behind super behind on ex primals when the next ones come out :(

I'd like more bosses that will wipe the raid if Tank LB is not used, there are ways to design fights to make sure a group gets to LB3 at a certain point.

Something like the boss is dying already and is impervious to damage the raid must survive a final attack so the dps must quickly burn down some adds in such a way to get to LB3 and then tank uses LB3 just before final attack is launched and healers have to have made sure everyone is topped off. If done right raid survives final attack and boss dies.

I JUST WANT TO SEE TANKS ACTUALLY GET TO USE THEIR LB3 RATHER IT JUST BEING THERE CAUSE FUCK IT

Sorian

Banned
I greatly regret my "heh I'll do it later" attitude toward bismark ex when there were still a ton of people needing it. I feel like it's going to be really annoying to do now, then it'll be annoying to clear Rav ex and I'll end up behind super behind on ex primals when the next ones come out :(

Rav is at least still a little popular, the hive weapon is still top tier for alts since no one is going to waste eso on an alt yet.

Sorian

Banned
I'd like more bosses that will wipe the raid if Tank LB is not used, there are ways to design fights to make sure a group gets to LB3 at a certain point.

Something like the boss is dying already and is impervious to damage the raid must survive a final attack so the dps must quickly burn down some adds in such a way to get to LB3 and then tank uses LB3 just before final attack is launched and healers have to have made sure everyone is topped off. If done right raid survives final attack and boss dies.

I JUST WANT TO SEE TANKS ACTUALLY GET TO USE THEIR LB3 RATHER IT JUST BEING THERE CAUSE FUCK IT

Add a mechanic where the boss one shots everyone except for a healer and then goes into an enrage cast. Healer has to lb3 so that all the dps are up in time to finish off the last bit of damage to kill the boss before enrage cast finishes. Give that healer lb some love too.

iammeiam

It hasn't really been that long since a fight designed with Tank LB in mind, though--T13 is old calendar-wise but is only last raid cycle, and did the whole Tank LB or RIP thing with Teraflare.

The real reason is it is supremely easier to make a fight where dps LB3 solves the problem or is a avoid wipe solution rather than one where tank LB3 solves the problem and ever harder to make a fight where Healer LB3 is the solution.

I mean let's be honest as it stands healer LB3 is a limit break that honestly isn't meant to be used. Sure it is awesome in what it does, except 99% of the time the healer using it will immediately be killed during or right after the rezzing prayer and the entire raid is suffering from that brink of death debuff.

The other LB3s have no such drawbacks. Such the using dps is technically unmoveable while using it but eh.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well, the reason tank LB3 is in T13 is to prevent you from cheesing any part of the Meracydian zoo with the caster LB3. If that large add phase wasn't there they probably wouldn't have given a damn and let you LB3 Bahamut an extra time instead.

I mean let's be honest as it stands healer LB3 is a limit break that honestly isn't meant to be used. Sure it is awesome in what it does, except 99% of the time the healer using it will immediately be killed during or right after the rezzing prayer and the entire raid is suffering from that brink of death debuff.
I did save a T13 run with a healer LB3 once. It was before the Echo but with pretty good gear of course.

Alrus

Rav is at least still a little popular, the hive weapon is still top tier for alts since no one is going to waste eso on an alt yet.

Yeah but joining a Rav farm party is a big no no usually if you haven't cleared. "no bonus", that kind of thing. There aren't that many Rav clear party forming even though it's not as bad as bismark.

Alright so with these lag issues still persisting and with a Time Warner rep coming over and replacing connectors and such. I'm going to go out and get a new modem even though I already switched it out before. This time I'm just getting a modem and not a modem/router combo. I can survive on 4 ports for now just putting my ps3 and laptop on wireless and have my desktop,ps4,wii u and directv genie receiver(can't do this wireless I believe) to my linksys EA4500 untill I get another router. I had my EA4500 for 2 years though.

iammeiam

I miss having healer LB3 on support DPS; it was possible to save runs with it (T11 says hi a bunch, old Shiva of the multiple bard LB3s was pretty great.) People seem hesitant to use it until too late, though--the best usage was to have the bard pop it while you still had one healer up and healing, even if not a ton of deaths. Waiting until everything is corpses on the floor is dooming yourself; the full heal aspect is every bit as important as the res aspect IMO.

I'll always regret not getting more chances to bard LB3 through Teraflare. The one time I got to do it we didn't have enough dead people for the res cheese to work out.

Alright so with these lag issues still persisting and with a Time Warner rep coming over and replacing connectors and such. I'm going to go out and get a new modem even though I already switched it out before. This time I'm just getting a modem and not a modem/router combo. I can survive on 4 ports for now just putting my ps3 and laptop on wireless and have my desktop,ps4,wii u and directv genie receiver(can't do this wireless I believe) to my linksys EA4500 untill I get another router. I had my EA4500 for 2 years though.

get a switch if you need more ports. It's obviously more wires, but is pretty useful

Other people take a similar number of packs when trying to unlock Zidane? I have about 270k mgp and I don't know whether to keep saving for nanamo and cloud or do try foe Zidane.

I've gotten Nanamo 3 times now from a platinum pack that I got just for doing all the matches in the TT tournament.

scy

I got to tank LB3 Akh Morn when solo tanking T13. Does that count?

Warriors, what are you buying with eso after the weapon?

There's two trains of thought: Weapon -> Gloves / Boots / Helm (in some order) get the best mix of secondaries out of the purchases. Weapon -> Body -> Helm get you the pieces that you don't have to worry about replacing with drops at some point.

I'd say to probably just do the Gloves / Boots / Helm route with i190 Body/Pants unless it's a case of really wanting the chest for fashion reasons or whatever. If you don't have the i190 Body/Pants, it makes it a little harder I guess but then it's safe to just fall back on ilvl > all.

Tabris

I'd say to probably just do the Gloves / Boots / Helm route with i190 Body/Pants unless it's a case of really wanting the chest for fashion reasons or whatever. If you don't have the i190 Body/Pants, it makes it a little harder I guess but then it's safe to just fall back on ilvl > all.

I dunno, the DEF and STR/VIT difference is pretty decent and most people won't be clearing A3S and A4S anytime soon on Ultros. So I would recommend:

Weapon (should be done) > Head > Body (or Legs) > Legs (or Body) as WAR. I'm going Weapon (Done) > Body (Done) > Head (will be done) > Shield > Legs as PLD.

Then if you haven't gotten a drop of hands, feet, or waist by then from A2S, you can start buying those.

thefil

Anyone dislike the changes to zone design in Heavensward? I really liked the "designed" feel of ARR zones. Everything was a clearly defined map and the shape gave it some character. They were small enough that you really learned your way around each one. I also loved how each zone supported a variety of levels so you would keep coming back to places with level-appropriate content for story, job quests, etc and you got to know the NPCs. Quests would always be available for the most part if you met the level requirement, and there was no ordering to them so you could always drop-in.

So far, HW zones are basically WoW zones. A big enclosed area where there's not so much designed paths as there are frustrating dead ends that are only there to fill in space. I watch quests unlock as I move through the MS in the zone, and it makes no sense why the quest wasn't available before. Filled in Coerthas Western Highlands and Dravanian Forelands pretty much entirely before I finished the MS in the zone, so it doesn't seem like I'll be returning to either of them. And they are just too damn big to get a feel for. Dravanian Forelands in particular also feels very theme-parky, with areas like the bug tribe base and the dragon quest hub seeming visually incongruent with the surrounding area just in the service of variety.

*edit* I just started HW on Friday and so I've only seen Sea of Clouds, Coerthas Western Highlands and Dravanian Forelands.

Sorian

Banned
Anyone dislike the changes to zone design in Heavensward? I really liked the "designed" feel of ARR zones. Everything was a clearly defined map and the shape gave it some character. They were small enough that you really learned your way around each one. I also loved how each zone supported a variety of levels so you would keep coming back to places with level-appropriate content for story, job quests, etc and you got to know the NPCs. Quests would always be available for the most part if you met the level requirement, and there was no ordering to them so you could always drop-in.

So far, HW zones are basically WoW zones. A big enclosed area where there's not so much designed paths as there are frustrating dead ends that are only there to fill in space. I watch quests unlock as I move through the MS in the zone, and it makes no sense why the quest wasn't available before. Filled in Coerthas Western Highlands and Dravanian Forelands pretty much entirely before I finished the MS in the zone, so it doesn't seem like I'll be returning to either of them. And they are just too damn big to get a feel for. Dravanian Forelands in particular also feels very theme-parky, with areas like the bug tribe base and the dragon quest hub seeming visually incongruent with the surrounding area just in the service of variety.

*edit* I just started HW on Friday and so I've only seen Sea of Clouds, Coerthas Western Highlands and Dravanian Forelands.

HW has one of my favorite zones in the game only because it gave me a nostalgia feel for everquest (dravanian hinterlands) that being said though, the zones do suffer IMO but not for the reasons you said. They all lose a lot of character once flying is unlocked because I hardly care what the shape of the map is since I just fly right over all of it anyway, the only ones that don't suffer from this are sea of clouds and the very last zone of the expac but those feel better to be flying maps because they are built up of floating land masses instead of just being regular land. No, I don't have an answer of how to make zones matter more while still having flying. It's a convenience vs. design decision and I'm always on the side of convenience so I like the flying but it does make all the zones fairly boring.

Valor

Asa has given him so much shit over the past few months about it. Its hilariously awkward, because he doesn't deny anything.
Eve has pretty terrible game.

1.png

scy

I dunno, the DEF and STR/VIT difference is pretty decent and most people won't be clearing A3S and A4S anytime soon on Ultros. So I would recommend:

Yeah, DEF is more in favor on the Gloves/Helm/Boots side for the first few weeks (and has the belt as an option to spend the same amount of poetics) but the STR/VIT is hard to make up for since the Body/Pants get so much of it. My alt is going closer to route you listed but that's also simply due to not having the i190 body as an option since too lazy to Alexander.

Honestly, I don't really think there's too many ways to screw it up. I'd just say to err towards Helm, Chest, and Gloves early on since they're comparatively harder to replace / better stats than the other parts. Really it's just a lot of "these pants are Accuracy / Parry please help" going on.

Tabris

Yeah, the tank gearing options aren't great due to the insane amount of accuracy they give and the lower acc cap in comparison. But honestly, with A3S right now, which most people will be stuck on for probably at least a month, survival is more important as long as you can make the DPS check on the hand equalize move, which most groups will use LB1 while they continue practice as why save LB when you aren't getting to last phase for a bit.

EDIT - Well actually, I guess you should consider tank DPS there too as even with LB1 a lot of groups may not make that DPS check for a bit of time, but that lack of crit or det is decently off set by the STR difference.

Also scy, your DEF comment assumes 0 drops from A2S. If you're getting drops, then the Head/Body/Legs Eso gear is the better way to go for DEF.

After eso chest and legs, i will drowning in ACC that i cant get rid of. I have to rationalize this to myself by saying secondary stats dont mean much as tank. Also, my buy order is simply what i am least likely to get from drops, so A4S drops backward.

Tabris

Probably going to buy chest this week cause accuracy problems.

Our BRD was having same issue. Couldn't wear her i180 PVP hat due to it. Sounds like BRD gearing issues for acc cap. Everyone else seems fine.

Well our SMN was missing book slaps due to front.

Tabris

After eso chest and legs, i will drowning in ACC that i cant get rid of. I have to rationalize this to myself by saying secondary stats dont mean much as tank. Also, my buy order is simply what i am least likely to get from drops, so A4S drops backward.

If you're WAR, I would do Helm first as it's got Crit at least.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Our BRD was having same issue. Couldn't wear her i180 PVP hat due to it. Sounds like BRD gearing issues for acc cap. Everyone else seems fine.

Well our SMN was missing book slaps due to front.

The cap in A3 is pretty big and so I had to go back to using i180 pants/belt for the time being.

iammeiam

Bard and MCH top-tier stuff is honestly pretty lousy with accuracy this go-round; the biggest problem is that the Alex normal stuff isn't and so it's a weird choke point but in a few weeks we're all going to have so much accuracy it's insane.

I got the i190 pants last week and got to use them for a day before getting the A2S gloves, which dropped my accuracy to the point of needing to go back to i180 pants and still missing in A3S. This week I bought the aiming choker with pages for the acc boost, then got the A2S belt (everything is healer gloves and aiming things in there) and am comfortably at cap with Pipira. Next week I buy the body to go from i180->i200 on the chest and switch back to i190 pants, and will still gain accuracy week over week. Throw in possibly the Eso pants the week after, complete with yet more accuracy, and it just gets silly.

It's less of a struggle with the i190 chest, but I missed a week of normal drops and so time wise getting i190 chest didn't make sense.

scy

Also scy, your DEF comment assumes 0 drops from A2S. If you're getting drops, then the Head/Body/Legs Eso gear is the better way to go for DEF.

Considering our loot luck in general, I'm not going to assume drops. But, yes, if you have basically anything from A2S, going for the later drops in Head/Body/Legs is a far better use. If you're not planning on A2S drops for awhile, then it's a different story.

Sorian

Banned
Considering our loot luck in general, I'm not going to assume drops. But, yes, if you have basically anything from A2S, going for the later drops in Head/Body/Legs is a far better use. If you're not planning on A2S drops for awhile, then it's a different story.

I didn't even look, how long is it before a guaranteed A2S drop? 6 weeks?

WolvenOne

Do more people Mine than Harvest? Feels like there are plenty of people with Red Ooid's in the FC, but finding people with Wyverns' Wart to trade is turning out to be really difficult. XD

I didn't even look, how long is it before a guaranteed A2S drop? 6 weeks?

I don't get it, why don't you just do what I did and just get a drop on the first clear?

/Provoke

Top Bottom