• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

TheYanger

Eventually it will be easily available and then, shortly, outdated. This is not what a worthwhile reward looks like to me and that's why right now I'm off this ride.
Hell, relics will probably be 205 or something, and then what? Wow, these hours of taking the pedal to the metal really pay off.

You're describing every mmo with gear progression. You can just wait until a week before the game goes offline in 20 years and then quickly try to knock everything out with ilevel 2000 gear, but that kind of defeats the purpose as well.

If you enjoy the game you do this stuff so that you can continue to do the harder/newer stuff, if you're content waiting and being always on the 'easy' curve, you can do that s well.

hamchan

I attempted Coil Turn 5 for the first time and said as such at the beginning. Anyway, apparently I got the other healer killed during some twister thing by moving (I don't know.. no one explained it) and literally 5 people quit instantly...

Feels bad. It was the first wipe too. //shrug. Not trying that again, I suppose.

I think of it's your first time in a raid you should probably just read or watch a quick guide of the mechanics. Those few minutes preparing helps prevent the bad feelings from happening, and no one needs to explain anything in the middle of the raid.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You're describing every mmo with gear progression. You can just wait until a week before the game goes offline in 20 years and then quickly try to knock everything out with ilevel 2000 gear, but that kind of defeats the purpose as well.

If you enjoy the game you do this stuff so that you can continue to do the harder/newer stuff, if you're content waiting and being always on the 'easy' curve, you can do that s well.

Oh yes, sure, the process is the reward, not the loot. Which is why I don't feel obligated to do this if for some reason I'm not able to or do not enjoy to do it. The implication was that Alex Savage has rewards comparable to its current difficulty, and it really doesn't, the only thing it has is the tight gameplay challenge.

suzu

I apologize if this question was asked elsewhere, and I'm confident I've seen it discussed before and wanted to get an updated opinion, but is this game worth getting invested in for someone that much prefers smaller scale content like dungeons over raid content?

I also love mount collecting in MMOs I have played, especially WoW, so that's something I would want to do in this game as they look pretty awesome. Is this a realistic goal?

Yes.

Omni

I think of it's your first time in a raid you should probably just read or watch a quick guide of the mechanics. Those few minutes preparing helps prevent the bad feelings from happening, and no one needs to explain anything in the middle of the raid.
Mhmm, I did have a look at a quick video on the fight before starting. I'm not sure how I caused the other healer to die and everyone to wipe though.

Two of the Neurolink things were on the ground. I thought you had to stand in them so I did. There was a tank with me. I realise now that everyone else was hiding from the dive bomb I think? So I was in the wrong position. But then everyone starts dying and we wipe. Only comment I get is "Do you know how twisters work?" before people start quitting.

Confusing.

Silav101

Does anyone know of an active, social free company on Chaos-Phoenix (EU)? I don't mind if it is smallish, only that it has active people on it.

dcye

Does anyone know of an active, social free company on Chaos-Phoenix (EU)? I don't mind if it is smallish, only that it has active people on it.

Sure. I'm on Phoenix and in Dango, we take anyone and everyone in so if you're interested send me a PM with your IGN and I'll try to inv you. I should be online once I finish work, in like 4 hours.

Silav101

Sure. I'm on Phoenix and in Dango, we take anyone and everyone in so if you're interested send me a PM with your IGN and I'll try to inv you. I should be online once I finish work, in like 4 hours.

Cool, will send you a PM later when i get back from work and log in, usually around 8pm cet haha. Ahh, the trials of a working man.

dcye

Cool, will send you a PM later when i get back from work and log in, usually around 8pm cet haha. Ahh, the trials of a working man.

I most likely won't be on at that time, I play from Aus so that's around 4-5am my time. I'll be on around that time the next day though, for raid, so you can probably hit me up then. Alternatively, if you PM me your name on GAF I can get someone to invite you tonight.

Silav101

I most likely won't be on at that time, I play from Aus so that's around 4-5am my time. I'll be on around that time the next day though, for raid, so you can probably hit me up then. Alternatively, if you PM me your name on GAF I can get someone to invite you tonight.

Zomg how is the latency from the other end of the planet?

Also, PM sent.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
Mhmm, I did have a look at a quick video on the fight before starting. I'm not sure how I caused the other healer to die and everyone to wipe though.

Two of the Neurolink things were on the ground. I thought you had to stand in them so I did. There was a tank with me. I realise now that everyone else was hiding from the dive bomb I think? So I was in the wrong position. But then everyone starts dying and we wipe. Only comment I get is "Do you know how twisters work?" before people start quitting.

Confusing.

There's a few things going on here.

Divebombs start once the second neurolink drops. They're generally handled by running into the pit on the side of the arena. The rotation goes three divebombs, three snakes spawn, three divebombs, two snakes spawn.

Once the snakes are down, you need to stand in a neurolink to mitigate aetherial profusion. Generally the party stacks in one and the mt in the other, since twin cleaves as soon as she returns.

Twisters begin shortly after aetherial profusion. Twisters have three rules. Do not stop moving while twister is being cast, do not cross over your own path, and do not cross over anyone elses's path. If you break any of these rules, twister goes off and kills you, and hits anyone around you with a knockback aoe, likely into the fetters.

WolvenOne

Confusing.

Twister Phase? There aren't any Dive bombs in that phase. Just watch Twintania's cast bar for Twister. When you see it being cast start moving but stay away from other players. A half moment later you'll see little Twister things in the ground, stay away from them.

I thought I'd post here. I'm getting rid of some of my collectors items. Tw of them are FFXIV:ARR collectors editions 1 for pc and 1 for ps3. I've posted in B/S/T thread.
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Collectors Edition - PC - New -£45 -excluding postage
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Collectors Edition - PS3 - New - £25 - Excluding postage.
Registering these on a platform you haven't got a key on yet, will net you the items and a 30 day sub extension.

Also, regarding Heavensward, do I have to buy it seperately for each platform or does it apply across all of them?

Omni

There's a few things going on here.

Divebombs start once the second neurolink drops. They're generally handled by running into the pit on the side of the arena. The rotation goes three divebombs, three snakes spawn, three divebombs, two snakes spawn.

Once the snakes are down, you need to stand in a neurolink to mitigate aetherial profusion. Generally the party stacks in one and the mt in the other, since twin cleaves as soon as she returns.

Twisters begin shortly after aetherial profusion. Twisters have three rules. Do not stop moving while twister is being cast, do not cross over your own path, and do not cross over anyone elses's path. If you break any of these rules, twister goes off and kills you, and hits anyone around you with a knockback aoe, likely into the fetters.
Thanks for this. Helps a lot :)

Twister Phase? There aren't any Dive bombs in that phase. Just watch Twintania's cast bar for Twister. When you see it being cast start moving but stay away from other players. A half moment later you'll see little Twister things in the ground, stay away from them.
No, we were definitely in the dive bomb phase. Almost everyone was huddled in the side pit area. Which makes the comment all the more confusing and I'm left wondering how I also got the other healer killed during this phase and wiped us all...

Tiops

Coliseum Galerus does NOT look good on Lalas.

aa58ba944d7578acdee58aaeea2e51c0_ba22853447012a24cee115315d6a5bebfl0_640x873.jpg

Need to reach level 47 fast to change my equipment. And the 45 ~ 50 grind is still real, even with the EXP buffs they included after Heavensward's release (I don't have any level 50 class with this character). I'm only doing the MSQ and optional dungeons, but I had to grind a little to continue the MSQ at some points. Then I reached 46 and the next MSQ is level 49. Northern Thanalan FATES, here I come.

Oh, and people can get mad if you "Congratulate" them when they screw up, specially as a lalafell. It's fun.

Aselith

Coliseum Galerus does NOT look good on Lalas.

aa58ba944d7578acdee58aaeea2e51c0_ba22853447012a24cee115315d6a5bebfl0_640x873.jpg

Need to reach level 47 fast to change my equipment. And the 45 ~ 50 grind is still real, even with the EXP buffs they included after Heavensward's release (I don't have any level 50 class with this character). I'm only doing the MSQ and optional dungeons, but I had to grind a little to continue the MSQ at some points. Then I reached 46 and the next MSQ is level 49. Northern Thanalan FATES, here I come.

Oh, and people can get mad if you "Congratulate" them when they screw up, specially as a lalafell. It's fun.

Why you putting waifu gear on a potato?

Lexxon

Just hit a wall in the MSQ 57-->58, after also hitting one 56-->57, and expecting one 58-->59 now. Need to keep doing daily dungeons. Loving the expansion, although it does lack some of the charm of ARR, and I preferred the zone bouncing in ARR. I do NOT miss going back to Vesper Bay every other quest to have a short discussion that was totally doable via linkpearl. MSQ is more streamlined for sure.

How do people feel about the 10-leve...leves? I did three of them in the 56 to 57 gap, and they seem to be a decent chunk of experience and gil if you're short on time vs. regular leves, but the reaction to them when googling seems to be overwhelmingly negative. I do understand using up all those allowances can suck, but so far I haven't been using leves at all except for my secondary classes' leveling when FATEs aren't really available, so I was capped at 100 before spending.

They seem good when I'm leveling when I get home from work, around 3:00 Eastern. Not a lot of people on then to do FATEs after the daily dungeon.

Valor

No, we were definitely in the dive bomb phase. Almost everyone was huddled in the side pit area. Which makes the comment all the more confusing and I'm left wondering how I also got the other healer killed during this phase and wiped us all...

One person gets marked for the divebomb each of the three dives. That marks the path that twin will take during that divebomb. Typically everyone in the hole will bait twin there. Once the mark appears, everyone runs out of the hole and coincidentally Twin's divebomb path. If you're not stacked or you move too quick or too late and you get targetted it's easy for everyone to get hit, smashed in random directions and into the death wall. It's an honest mistake and an easy to correct one. People ragequitting after not teaching a mechanic or at least going over the strategy is on them.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Just hit a wall in the MSQ 57-->58, after also hitting one 56-->57, and expecting one 58-->59 now. Need to keep doing daily dungeons. Loving the expansion, although it does lack some of the charm of ARR, and I preferred the zone bouncing in ARR. I do NOT miss going back to Vesper Bay every other quest to have a short discussion that was totally doable via linkpearl. MSQ is more streamlined for sure.

How do people feel about the 10-leve...leves? I did three of them in the 56 to 57 gap, and they seem to be a decent chunk of experience and gil if you're short on time vs. regular leves, but the reaction to them when googling seems to be overwhelmingly negative. I do understand using up all those allowances can suck, but so far I haven't been using leves at all except for my secondary classes' leveling when FATEs aren't really available, so I was capped at 100 before spending.

They seem good when I'm leveling when I get home from work, around 3:00 Eastern. Not a lot of people on then to do FATEs after the daily dungeon.

Large-scale leves are a waste of allowances but a save of time. Unless it's crafting in which case it's just a waste through and through.

iammeiam

I need to go get my copy then glamour it back to my ironworks set.

I know I give you a lot of shit, but I have to commend you for the courage to walk around in full aiming ironworks.

Really lets people know what they're getting just by looking at you.

xezuru

Man, the worst thing about not playing since T5 was relevant is that I don't have sets to glamour. Hue.
Anyone can drop some knowledge on some Monk shit that doesn't look like garbage?

iammeiam

Can you two save this exchange for your upcoming meetup during Valor's trip to the west coast? Meet in bad glamour to be easily recognizable.

I refuse to be anywhere around anyone who thinks swamps are 80s throwback shades of blue and purple, because they're probably radioactive.

Valor

I refuse to be anywhere around anyone who thinks swamps are 80s throwback shades of blue and purple, because they're probably radioactive.
I was commenting more on that floofy hat and waders. Sorry, not all of us are old enough to appreciate "fashion" from the 80's. I will admit I didn't get a good look at your outfit because you're a potato.

IvorB

I've been enjoying the hunts in HW a lot now that the Zerg has left. Some of the fights are really good and actually have moves that you need to respect. I made a vid of an epic fight with Mirka in CWH. This fight was truly the stuff legends are made of...

Also uploaded a somewhat random yet oddly picturesque vid of me enjoying my level 52 Dragoon.

Silvawuff

T5 is very unforgiving. I've seen experienced groups wipe it easily for being out of place by a few inches. Honestly if your group is getting to Twisters, there's no reason for a mass abandon.

...I never did finish T9. :/

Here's hoping tonight is Flames vs Adders 2: Zerg Harder edition in PVP so I can get another 10 wins with the Storm. PVP is bringing out the trash talk and taunting like no other. Also, I want in just once on a fabled 24-person pre-made. Bonus points if it's all Lala.

Ya know I didn't realize how bad the new scrip system was until I started diving in myself. The way things are going right now I would need to heavily grind out for the next 7+ months to get everything I would want and that'd only net me literally a few sets of gear.

Whoever thought this red scrip system was a good idea needs to lose their job. The time:reward ratio is so outta wack that I can't believe they thought this was a good idea. Maybe it'll get fixed sooner rather than later since the JP side is even more upset than the english forums.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Aetherochemical Research Facility needs some kinda extra incentive beyond lol 40 law.
Expect it to be a part of the Relic questline!

Tabris

I just purged the remaining macros I had.

Did you read my post though? As the macros he's talking about aren't for any action.

It may be something helpful for any controller user to consider. The muscle memory reset takes a bit of time though, and we aren't doing much progression over last week or this week due to vacations and such, so hard to get much practice with it.

Top Bottom