• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Zocano

This notion that you can be "late" with content because you're not clearing the same week as w1 is sickness and must be purged. Some people think thoughts like that completely without a tinge of humor.

When people are all about GOTTA DO IT NOW ONLY BEST PEOPLE MUST HAVE A2S CLEAR TO JOIN A2S GROUP then that's all you'll get.

Qvoth

as of now there's not enough incentive to be helpful to the community in terms of raid content i feel
for example the 1 chest raid clear thing, i only recently found out the cleared members of said run actually can't roll on the loot? then there is absolutely no point for the common players to be helpful to others, this is really dumb

Ken

as of now there's not enough incentive to be helpful to the community in terms of raid content i feel
for example the 1 chest raid clear thing, i only recently found out the cleared members of said run actually can't roll on the loot? then there is absolutely no point for the common players to be helpful to others, this is really dumb

You know this system was implemented in FCOB right? It's also better now because uncleared players will still get their item tokens.

WolvenOne

Tonight I realized for the first time, that I don't actually know how to craft, despite having all but two crafting classes at 50.

Time to learn I guess. XD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
When people are all about GOTTA DO IT NOW ONLY BEST PEOPLE MUST HAVE A2S CLEAR TO JOIN A2S GROUP then that's all you'll get.

Well if you have a static then what does it matter?
Also, I did some crazy catchups in FCOB. Just needs some constructive thinking and asking around.
Better than whining people won't take you into parties.

That's easy for someone like you to say. Why don't you stop Suffering From Success and come see how the rest of us live sometime.

I literally quit everything and am playing on a fresh alt.

Gold_Loot

Since when was it a problem to just simply be helpful to , ya know , help others?

I can understand not wanting to be yanked around by 20 different players every week, but helping others should be rewarding enough. Now we MUST have a promise of loot or no dice?

Omni

What's the general consensus on healers doing dps?

I'm a 57 WHM right now. In dungeons and stuff I really only output damage for the laughs. Nothing terribly serious. But should I be going offensive whenever possible? Am I a bad healer if I don't?

Not confirmed AFAIK. However, it is supposedly only available at the training dummies. Not while you're actually in combat. Still, it would be a huge improvement!

Ooh okay. That could be cool! Curious to know what I get on my Bard >.>

Qvoth

It's also better now because uncleared players will still get their item tokens.
I can understand not wanting to be yanked around by 20 different players every week, but helping others should be rewarding enough.

but there's no incentive for the cleared players at all, that's my point
before i knew how the chest system works i actually wanted to help 1 chest runs because i thought there's a still a chance i could get my loot for the week

Ken

but there's no incentive for the cleared players at all, that's my point
before i knew how the chest system works i actually wanted to help 1 chest runs because i thought there's a still a chance i could get my loot for the week

No tangible incentive (outside the bonus tomes) but it's still a feel-good thing to do like the other dude said. Nice for easier organizing for FC/friend groups, and it's a thing to do at the end of the week if you're done with static raids for the week.

If there was a significant incentive like getting extra drops that'd get abused so badly.

Lanrutcon

No tangible incentive (outside the bonus tomes) but it's still a feel-good thing to do like the other dude said. Nice for easier organizing for FC/friend groups, and it's a thing to do at the end of the week if you're done with static raids for the week.

If there was a significant incentive like getting extra drops that'd get abused so badly.

Or they could stop artificially slowing progress in a game that charges a sub? I dunno.

Lanrutcon

Seems fine to me.

I also don't see the relation between the two. Is this just a "weekly lockouts are the devil" thing?

Any mechanism which goes 'you can only do x in y period' is kind of bullshit in a game which literally charges you for time spent with the game. It's there to slow players down, and little else.

If they didn't limit the drops you can get in a week, then they wouldn't have to incentivize lootless runs.

Ken

Any mechanism which goes 'you can only do x in y period' is kind of bullshit in a game which literally charges you for time spent with the game. It's there to slow players down, and little else.

If they didn't limit the drops you can get in a week, then they wouldn't have to incentivize lootless runs.

If they didn't limit the drops you can get in a week, why not just farm out the floor with your static and have no need to do it ever again with less efficiency. Would also affect the whole raid progression scene.

Lockouts can also be there to get players to do other things instead of just farming out one thing in a week non-stop.

Actually, the mechanism in place now does let you "do x" as much as you want, compared to pre-FCOB where you were bound to your highest turn.

Lanrutcon

If they didn't limit the drops you can get in a week, why not just farm out the floor with your static and have no need to do it ever again with less efficiency. Would also affect the whole raid progression scene.

Lockouts can also be there to get players to do other things instead of just farming out one thing in a week non-stop.

People are already just farming things with their static. That's not a new "problem", but when they want to help out other people at least with my suggestion there's loot attached to the time.

The raid progression scene is decided in the first 2 or 3 weeks after content is released, and then it becomes irrelevant as the world firsts are done and the strats become public knowledge. Whatever contribution lockouts hold for raid progression then falls away.

And if lockouts are there to steer me from the content I actually enjoy to the mindless side-bullshit and their associated grind...then fuck it. That's terrible design in and of itself.

Ken

People are already just farming things with their static. That's not a new "problem", but when they want to help out other people at least with my suggestion there's loot attached to the time.

The raid progression scene is decided in the first 2 or 3 weeks after content is released, and then it becomes irrelevant as the world firsts are done and the strats become public knowledge. Whatever contribution lockouts hold for raid progression then falls away.

And if lockouts are there to steer me from the content I actually enjoy to the mindless side-bullshit and their associated grind...then fuck it. That's terrible design in and of itself.

Too bad for you I guess, since I don't see this changing.

Also, if you enjoy the raid fights you can still do them. If you enjoy grinding for loot then you have the 24-mans (lol) or just go play a real loot game.

Is this your first themepark mmo? Because this has been a common thing for years when it comes to lockouts and how they work. They want your money and the longer they can keep you subbed through locking out content, the more money they make.

Lanrutcon

Is this your first themepark mmo? Because this has been a common thing for years when it comes to lockouts and how they work. They want your money and the longer they can keep you subbed through locking out content, the more money they make.

Oh, I know why they do it and I know it's done all over the place. FFXIV is not unique in that regard. I'll still bitch about it tho :p

Which reminds me, I should go poke Secret World again and see how that's doing.

Ken

Anyone know where to find a monk rotation guide post heavensward? I've been googling and most of what I find is pre heavensward. I've found a few videos, but they don't really explain anything, just show off dps.

More popoto's?

The only new rotational change is their opener (cause you can Form Shift Demolish to start) and you have Elixir Field as a new oGCD to put wherever.

Sifl

The only new rotational change is their opener (cause you can Form Shift Demolish to start) and you have Elixir Field as a new oGCD to put wherever.
Alright, I'm not near 60 yet but I like to read up on a job before I put time into it, so I'll use the old guides for now. Thanks for the info.

Ken

Alright, I'm not near 60 yet but I like to read up on a job before I put time into it, so I'll use the old guides for now. Thanks for the info.

A career monk would have better knowledge on this but the new MNK abilities basically help them do what they were already doing better.

Form Shift helps you keep up GL when you have to move off the boss for a bit.

Tornado Kick and Meditation help offset unavoidable GL dropping.

Purification gives more staying power in AoE fights and Elixir Field bumps up their AoE power and gives another oGCD.

Alrus

What's the general consensus on healers doing dps?

I'm a 57 WHM right now. In dungeons and stuff I really only output damage for the laughs. Nothing terribly serious. But should I be going offensive whenever possible? Am I a bad healer if I don't?

Well this is a raging debate but most fights don't require you to heal 100% of the time at all, and healer actually have a fairly decent DPS output so for me, there's really no reason not to dps when comfortable with a fight unless you're lazy.

It's probably a bit trickier as a WHM/AST than a SCH because you don't have the fairy as a crutch but it should totally be done. Saves time for your whole group.

Audioboxer

Got 60 TT cards, yay! 60th was from Rowena. Started the relic reborn quest, seen the purple loot and thought ohhh shiny! About to do amdapor keep, as it's part of the quest line.

Also some kind Gaffer used my recruit a friend code. I didn't seem to get the friendship circlet, just gold chocobo feathers. Do I have to go somewhere for it or should it be mailed to me?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Got 60 TT cards, yay! 60th was from Rowena. Started the relic reborn quest, seen the purple loot and thought ohhh shiny! About to do amdapor keep, as it's part of the quest line.

Also some kind Gaffer used my recruit a friend code. I didn't seem to get the friendship circlet, just gold chocobo feathers. Do I have to go somewhere for it or should it be mailed to me?
They need to subscribe for 30 days for you to get it.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Final Fantasy Portal App was released today and the App has a point system that lets you trade for content and I saw this in the reward page (although its empty at the moment):

VlBj3au.png

Is there any other Square-Enix game that currently uses Item Codes in the US? If not doesn't this pretty much guarantees that they will be giving out FFXIV content through this App?

Tiops

Got my Lala Ninja to 50 yesterday, and it's the first class that I have no idea how the rotation should be. I need to read more guides.

I mean, I understand the concept (Dancing Edge first, DOTs and Aeolian Edge last), but those mudras and related skills are giving me trouble. Biggest problem is the damn mudra lag, that makes casting Suiton and Huton really slow. Even Raiton takes mire time than it should, so I'm using Fuuma Shuriken only. But it kinda feels like a waste to use Kassatsu for Fuuma Shuriken... Ugh.

Anyway, really fun class to play as.

Top Bottom