• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Frumix

Suffering From Success
She managed to be more uninteresting and annoying than her brother and that is quite a feat with her little screen time.

How? Alphinaud is Minfilia-tier jackass that hardly got better with the expansion. Lisa did more with less and had a semblance of an arc at least.

Sorian

Banned
How? Alphinaud is Minfilia-tier jackass that hardly got better with the expansion. Lisa did more with less and had a semblance of an arc at least.

The bolded is the keyword, she had to have something since her story is done. Elf boy is still around for a long time, he doesn't need to be arcing yet. They both suck.

Tabris

I don't know the Au Ra girl's name or the goblins name but that doesn't mean much, I don't know the girl elf twin's name either. I'm not really interested in the big bad goblin (who was pretty cool with that cold blooded kill) because I think he will be dead at the end of second alexander set of floors. I'm more interesting in the actual story of alexander itself. The Au Ra girl will be tied to that but for now she is mostly there as a SO MYSTERIOUS plot point so whatever.

What's interesting about it?

It was a research station that a beast tribe (goblins) turned into a primal via aether.

The story will have us go through Alexander until he "fully awakes" and we have to kill it's manifestation (because FFXIV can't do big boss fights). Zzzzzzzzzz! So not only is that boring, but instead of interesting characters like Nael and Lousioux as part of the usual generic FFXIV primal story, we get goblins and generic Au Ra girls.

The best parts of the FFXIV story so far have been Imperial invasion, Ul'dah political intrigue, Heavensward story, and Coil plot around what happened during the cataclysm. The primal shit is sooo boring.

Sorian

Banned
What's interesting about it?

It was a research station that a beast tribe (goblins) turned into a primal via aether.

The story will have us go through Alexander until he "fully awakes" and we have to kill it's manifestation (because FFXIV can't do big boss fights). Zzzzzzzzzz! So not only is that boring, but instead of interesting characters like Nael and Lousioux as part of the usual generic FFXIV primal story, we get goblins and generic Au Ra girls.

Lousioux isn't interesting. Nael is but too bad he wasn't in the coil story. Yeah Alexander himself still has a story to be told. This version we are seeing was pulled from some legend and took over this "research station" if you think they aren't going to talk about the legend of why alexander is a primal then I have news for you.

The best parts of the FFXIV story so far have been Imperial invasion, Ul'dah political intrigue, Heavensward story, and Coil plot around what happened during the cataclysm. The primal shit is sooo boring.

I'd contend that Bahamut's background was the most interesting part of coil and that falls into that "primal shit"

Alphinaud suffers from the fact he constantly has his head up his own ass and thinks he knows everything and is insufferable to listen to at times.

I loved every moment he was wrong or got his world rocked.

Tabris

Lousioux isn't interesting. Nael is but too bad he wasn't in the coil story. Yeah Alexander himself still has a story to be told. This version we are seeing was pulled from some legend and took over this "research station" if you think they aren't going to talk about the legend of why alexander is a primal then I have news for you.

See my edit re: boring primal stories.

You have bad taste my friend!

I'd contend that Bahamut's background was the most interesting part of coil and that falls into that "primal shit"

Nah, that's more the Wyrm/Dragon story from 1.0 to Coil to Heavenward. That was the interesting part of it, not the boring primal / aether part.

Valor

I can't believe how this thread degraded into Alisae hate. What is wrong with you people!? IT'S TREASURE HUNTING IN A GIANT METAL DUNGEON. What more do you need!?

Tabris

I can't believe how this thread degraded into Alisae hate. What is wrong with you people!? IT'S TREASURE HUNTING IN A GIANT METAL DUNGEON. What more do you need!?

1) An interesting theme.
2) Better music.
3) Characters with any kind of depth.
4) A plot that isn't the usual primal aether BS.
5) A feeling of "epicness" and scale/impact in the overall story & setting.
6) An interesting villian

1) An interesting theme.
2) Better music.

You gotta problem with:

Boom! gobbie-bomb, gobbie-neckbreaks
Again and again and again!
Doom! gobbie-hands gobbie-endmakes
The end! Oh, the end! Yes, the end!

Stop disliking good themes.

Sorian

Banned
1) An interesting theme.
2) Better music.

1 is fine. 2 is fine. 3. You met the characters just now, you don't get depth in the prologue, idk what stories you deal with. 4. Fine though I like it when it's done well. 5. Don't know what the scale is yet obviously. 6. Probably haven't even met the real villain yet
It's Brayflox

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Maybe they should've expanded upon Sharyalan instead of plugging half the exp bar with SEARCH FOR THE MOOGLES KUPO. Oh right, Sharyalan are knowledge-hoarding assholes. Of course they are. Riveting.

ebil

I'm pretty sure we're going to get some Cid and family backstory with Alexander. Mythological Gordias was
the father of Midas [Cid's father was called Midas nan Garlond]

Valor

Bangyzoom.
This guy gets it.
1) An interesting theme.
2) Better music.
1) I dunno, I think the whole idea behind what Alexander was created to be and what the Blue Hand want to use it for are kind of interesting. It's also another instance of a "Primal" whose definition is rather obscure. If this is supposed to be a beast tribe primal of the gobbiekins and it's been summoned by another person who is likely Uplander-esque, then it means we're still defining what exactly Primals are.
2) Already has the best music!
3) Part 1 of 3, Still no idea what's going on with Redbrix, Mide, and a host of other Alexander-related characters like Quickthinx and most importantly the black kitty.
4) Unfortunately, this is Final Fantasy XIV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5) Shutting down a giant mechanical fortress that will stomp all over Idyllshire isn't epic? D:
6) HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE BLACK CAT!?

Nah but really, I think it's still early in the story of Alexander and while I'll say the Adventure Hook (hoho look how nerdy I am) is not very strong for the raid, there's a lot they can do with it going forward. The problem is waiting for it to go forward.

It's hard to compare it to the Binding Coil because the story had a background and needed less time to flesh it out. Compare it more, perhaps, to the story of Crystal Tower (leave sarcastic jokes to the side for now). It started very innocuously as just "Hey there's this thing here go play around in there", but by the end the storyline was actually rather sweeping and moderately compelling if you gave a shit about that sort of thing.

Basically it's a big picture sort of deal. There's no "fighting on Bahamut's hand" in Alex 1 which is a problem to a degree, however I'm hopefully that by the end of Alexander's raid the story will be rather interesting and will be a nice addition to the lore and something that can be measured against Coil for quality. It's just not there yet at all.

When have Scions killed anybody without being forced to by circumstances?
Primals don't count for obvious reasons.
I know Primals don't count but technically you didn't have to kill the Pope.

Course his bros killed your friend so his ass was grass regardless.

Tiops

I like Milde. And Alisae. I find both stories interesting, and I want to see how Alexander will continue.

Alphinaud is crap.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I know Primals don't count but technically you didn't have to kill the Pope.

Course his bros killed your friend so his ass was grass regardless.
I agree with Sorin! At no point did any of the last 2 remaining Scions specifically told you to kill King Thordan. Your Mission was to stop them from obtaining Allagan Technology and to stop the Empire too.

Hi guys, I'm trying the free 14 days on the PC version. I made a pugilist and I have a question about evading attacks. How does that work?? I keep moving behind my target when fighting but I still receive damage. I ask this because the lvl 10 skill you acquire can be used only if you evade an attack. Is it rng based?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hi guys, I'm trying the free 14 days on the PC version. I made a pugilist and I have a question about evading attacks. How does that work?? I keep moving behind my target when fighting but I still receive damage. I ask this because the lvl 10 skill you acquire can be used only if you evade an attack. Is it rng based?

You can physically dodge AOE attacks with a visible telegraph but you can't really dodge most regular attacks like that. There's evasion that occurs sometimes (it's RNG but you can temporarily raise it by using Featherfoot skill). Only evasion like that triggers Haymaker (says Dodge on the screen where damage taken would be otherwise). Haymaker is pretty much a useless skill. In party content if you're getting hit as a DPS something is likely wrong and for most highest level monsters and bosses evasion straight up doesn't work.

Valor

Yes, more or less, it's RNG based. There are some skills that boost your evasion rate, but it's not something to rely on.

I know it's a lot of people's past time to hate on Alphinaud but to insinuate that he hasn't had character development (especially in Heavensward) would be a fallacy. His growth just isn't crammed into a raid storyline is all.

You can physically dodge AOE attacks with a visible telegraph but you can't really dodge most regular attacks like that. There's evasion that occurs sometimes (it's RNG but you can temporarily raise it by using Featherfoot skill). Only evasion like that triggers Haymaker (says Dodge on the screen where damage taken would be otherwise). Haymaker is pretty much a useless skill. In party content if you're getting hit as a DPS something is likely wrong and for most highest level monsters and bosses evasion straight up doesn't work.

Yes, more or less, it's RNG based. There are some skills that boost your evasion rate, but it's not something to rely on.

thanks

Valor

I know it's a lot of people's past time to hate on Alphinaud but to insinuate that he hasn't had character development (especially in Heavensward) would be a fallacy. His growth just isn't crammed into a raid storyline is all.

I'm not sure if you can really have "Continues to be a fuck up in every way possible and be a selfish prick" count as development.

Kenai

I loved choosing that answer.

That was pretty great.

I very much teared up after my first run of Vault. Reenacting select Assassin's guild quests probably would have been in character for me at that point

Again, if you're talking 3.0, I'd disagree there.

I really don't get the hard on people have for hating him.

They are jealous of him and his character development
of creating his own exclusive access to Ruby and Onyx Carbuncle

Top Bottom