• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Pancho

Qurupancho
So, how strong are dragoons as dps? My friends roommate plays and he was saying that dragoons are terrible that ninjas and monks are much better, that I should switch. Are they that weak or is he just being a dummy?
Probably the most powerful dps class right now in terms of pure dmg I think. If used correctly, obviously. So your friend is in some sort of alternate universe or is bitter that he can't use DRG properly

Lol thought so, I told him to git gud. Which didn't really make sense, but I didn't care.

That being said, how much skill does a dragoon take? Is it fairly easy to get a handle on things?

Yeah I think I need to find a raid group, game is boring without something challenging and Rav Ex clear parties never go long. Now if only some of these groups didn't raid 4-5 days straight.

Lol, it's so exhilarating to run fates with a mob. I was just at that beach place running with like 15-20 different plauers doing fates in quick succession got a lot of exp :)

tearsofash

I just finished heavenward MSQ. Is the endgame stuff pretty much like ARR at this point? Or are there things I might as well probably skip? I'm not sure which gear to start saving up for first.

So I resubbed and got back into this, I have a 50 PLD but decided to level a WAR from scratch to get back into the swing of things.

For leveling, I get that I should do the roulettes once daily, but after those, should I just spam the highest level dungeon or is the adventurer in need bonus worth it from doing the roulettes again as a tank?

suzu

So I resubbed and got back into this, I have a 50 PLD but decided to level a WAR from scratch to get back into the swing of things.

For leveling, I get that I should do the roulettes once daily, but after those, should I just spam the highest level dungeon or is the adventurer in need bonus worth it from doing the roulettes again as a tank?

Pretty much. You can also do FATEs, hunting log, challenge log, levequests.

dcye

So, how strong are dragoons as dps? My friends roommate plays and he was saying that dragoons are terrible that ninjas and monks are much better, that I should switch. Are they that weak or is he just being a dummy?

This used to be true, about 6-8 months ago. Dragoons used to have super low magical defence and no useful utility, plus their combos used to be entirely positional based so if you missed a positional you lost your combo and lost a tonne of dps. Monk had Dragon Kick (which was pretty much a requirement in FCoB and Ninja has Trick Attack and Goad) That's old meta though, since then they received a buff to their magical defence, their combo requirements have been lessened, and they received Battle Littany as a party buff, whereas Ninja took some minor nerfa and Monk has stayed pretty much the same. All three played to max potential Dragoon does the most damage now.

Ishgardian Muffins were the correct answer. I power leveled my Culinarian from 51 or 52 to 60 today after I bought an entire stack of 64 HQ Ishgardian Muffins for like 200-300ish-k. Now to grind out red scrips off of Deep-fried Okeanis.

I'm still debating whether or not I wanna go down the Gold smithing route. I have miner to 60, but most of the Goldsmithing scrip items are difficult for me to make save the first one. I'd try leves but im fresh out of those! #thestrugglewasfedwithmuffins

Hi there, I have a bug with one of the 1000 craft trophy. I crafted more than 1200 items (I can see that in the achievement section of the game) but I didn't unlock the trophy ("one with gold").
Should I just keep crafting ?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Hi there, I have a bug with one of the 1000 craft trophy. I crafted more than 1200 items (I can see that in the achievement section of the game) but I didn't unlock the trophy ("one with gold").
Should I just keep crafting ?

If it's the PS3/4 Trophy I think it has to be 1000 items on the actual console client.

Zhao_Yun

Lol thought so, I told him to git gud. Which didn't really make sense, but I didn't care.

That being said, how much skill does a dragoon take? Is it fairly easy to get a handle on things?

As someone who mains DRG I'd say that the class isn't too difficult to play. Most challenging aspects are probably keeping up the Blood of the Dragon buff (while hitting as many Geiskoguls as possible) and hitting the right positionals for the new 4th combo attacks since they are based on RNG. Timing Jumps is also quite crucial to not get hit with an avoidable AoE (especially in fights where you can fall off the arena :p ).
Optimizing DRG play obviously requires practice, but that's true for all classes.

Omni

I want a lesser panda so bad. Or an owlet. Or both >.>

Doing the same dungeons over and over gets a little monotonous though. Ugh

iammeiam

I think that's the part of the story that actively drove everyone away though so not remembering is forgivable.

Edit: I hope you all treasured having that Monday without maintanence, because it was apparently a fluke. 3.07 comes Monday and brings one of those 9PM PDT maints with it.

Tiops

The time it's taking to clear A4S just makes me completely give up on trying it with a PUG. If the best statics can't beat it (even now with some decent gear), it must be pure hell.

Sorian

Banned
The time it's taking to clear A4S just makes me completely give up on trying it with a PUG. If the best statics can't beat it (even now with some decent gear), it must be pure hell.

No, it just actually requires good gear. They don't have decent gear, they are still mostly sitting in junk.

iammeiam

No, it just actually requires good gear. They don't have decent gear, they are still mostly sitting in junk.

My bigger concern is that people in the mystery final phase of the fight seem to just straight up not enjoy it. At this point their people should have four weeks of A3S drops (and so four twines for i210 left side pieces on all DPS) and five weeks of 2 and 1, which means a decent amount of gear is already out there and it's still walling them in an unfun way. I have no idea what iLevel this is going to require for normal groups.

I do remember poor naive me thinking how absurd it would be for the bet taking three weeks to settle, but nothing I've seen from A4S people makes me think they think they're anywhere close.

Sorian

Banned
My bigger concern is that people in the mystery final phase of the fight seem to just straight up not enjoy it. At this point their people should have four weeks of A3S drops (and so four twines for i210 left side pieces on all DPS) and five weeks of 2 and 1, which means a decent amount of gear is already out there and it's still walling them in an unfun way. I have no idea what iLevel this is going to require for normal groups.

I do remember poor naive me thinking how absurd it would be for the bet taking three weeks to settle, but nothing I've seen from A4S people makes me think they think they're anywhere close.

It might actually require gear levels at or near 210. Sure, they have 4 twines but that's split between 4 dps (probably not evenly). They really aren't sitting on that much gear. They aren't having fun because the fight is probably not possible at this time barring some amazingly lucky parses from all of the DPS and probably the tanks too. This isn't like A3S where I was saying they should stop being bitches and actually start being good, this is a legit gear roadblock.

scy

They aren't having fun because the fight is probably not possible at this time barring some amazingly lucky parses from all of the DPS and probably the tanks too.

Well, based off the enrage rumors, they'd need a whole extra DPS to clear the fight, not just a lucky night of crits/procs/etc. Also the mechanics at that point seem super dumb, apparently.

Sorian

Banned
Well, based off the enrage rumors, they'd need a whole extra DPS to clear the fight, not just a lucky night of crits/procs/etc. Also the mechanics at that point seem super dumb, apparently.

I'm being polite and accounting for the fact that they aren't as hot shit as they think they are and their rotations are probably junk trying to deal with all the mechanics.

Tabris

It's a good thing that there's extremely hard content both mechanically and gear check that may last the entire patch cycle for world firsts and after for others.

They'll probably have Alex 2.0 NM before most savage groups have cleared A4S. And I don't even see the harm in Alex 2.0 Savage being released before a good amount are ready.

It would be nice to start stockpiling content for endgame players.

Sorian

Banned
But aren't they the hottest shit that this game has?

We're all bads. Yoship babied all of us during 2.x content cycle and this is the punishment.

It's a good thing that there's extremely hard content both mechanically and gear check that may last the entire patch cycle for world firsts and after for others.

They'll probably have Alex 2.0 NM before most savage groups have cleared A4S. And I don't even see the harm in Alex 2.0 Savage being released before a good amount are ready.

I wouldn't count on this, I would still expect most of the usual suspects to have A4S cleared before 3.2.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

On the flip side of things, Alexander seems to be almost too hard for some groups. Been seeing a lot of breakups lately...

iammeiam

My concern is maintaining the balance between hard and time-consuming and hard and not worth much effort.

A3S right now is fun because even though we're apparently really, really bad at adds coordination (karma for basically steamrolling HoP I guess), we're consistently improving/passing adds more frequently overall and all our failures seem fixable and on us. The final phase DPS check against enrage will be a thing, but from what I've seen we'll be able to do it with effort and improvement and stopping being cheap and using pots.

The problem is if/when we finish off A3S, A4S is just going to be bashing faces into a wall for a while. I mostly look forward to wiping in A3S right now because it's a thing we can improve beyond. A4S wipes seem to be mostly killing time waiting for gear to catch up, and that's just a waste. I basically see us less motivated to spend as much time on an impossible thing.

xezuru

On the flip side of things, Alexander seems to be almost too hard for some groups. Been seeing a lot of breakups lately...

The thing is, Savage isn't even "Hard". Personally, even if my static wasn't complete shit, I would still grow super tired of every single thing being minor mechanics while always having enrage. I'm fine with enrage mechanics, but when it's every single fight, and the raid itself has shitty themeing and music, it wears you down. I regret quitting after we had T5 on farm back when it was super relevant, all Second Coil is fantastic, haven't tried third yet, but even T1-T5 was way more interesting and hype back in the day then anything in Alexander and having to farm baby mode of the same raid once in a while doesn't help.

Tabris

The thing is, Savage isn't even "Hard".

Savage is hard.

I basically see us less motivated to spend as much time on an impossible thing.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though if SE adds varying content at endgame. It would be nice not to dedicate 3-days but go down to 2-days (well we've been 2 days last 2 weeks but not from choice) to continue farming and practicing, while waiting to gear up. As things get closer to making those checks, you can start pushing harder.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The thing is, Savage isn't even "Hard". Personally, even if my static wasn't complete shit, I would still grow super tired of every single thing being minor mechanics while always having enrage. I'm fine with enrage mechanics, but when it's every single fight, and the raid itself has shitty themeing and music, it wears you down. I regret quitting after we had T5 on farm back when it was super relevant, all Second Coil is fantastic, haven't tried third yet, but even T1-T5 was way more interesting and hype back in the day then anything in Alexander and having to farm baby mode of the same raid once in a while doesn't help.

Floors 1 and 2 were about normal Coil level but I feel like 3 is a lot harder than what people were used to with Turn 4/8/12 etc.

A lot more DPS checks and the new rotations make it harder for people to actually play jobs well without practice.

Tabris

Coil was all there was post 2.0 too you know.

I know and it was an issue. How many dead points did 2.0 have? And that system obviously does not support super hard content as players are burning out as seen here.

They should have the following:

An easy raid (Normal Mode)
A hard raid (Coil Level)
A savage raid (A3S+ Level)

Going at all times. They can be different kind of content, I'm not saying Alexander should have 3 levels but maybe introduce a coil level difficulty unique raid to go along with Alexander. The Savage raid can be made so it's not clearable except by best groups before next patch so there's a staging of this content and something always available for any group to work on at any time.

And the gear that drops between them can be radically different too. Say in the next cycle, Alexander NM drops i200 gear. Well maybe the hard raid drops i210. And then the Savage Raid drops i240. So a lot of groups have to have cleared the 2nd or 3rd patch cycle before going back to that 1st patch cycle savage to clear.

Valor

I would agree with this, for the most part. I don't see it happening, however.

We're all bads. Yoship babied all of us during 2.x content cycle and this is the punishment.
This is incredibly true in a way.

Savage is hard.

The main issue here is the fact that Alexander is all there is, not that Alexander is hard.
This seems awfully uhhh... hmm...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I know and it was an issue. How many dead points did 2.0 have? And that system obviously does not support super hard content as players are burning out as seen here.

I would argue the game doesn't support super hard content for the large majority because FFXIV is played by people who like Final Fantasy.

Tabris

This seems awfully uhhh... hmm...

I'm saying the reason why people are quitting / burning out is because there's only Alexander. They wouldn't be quitting due to Alexander being too hard if there was other things to do on the end game.

I would agree with this, for the most part. I don't see it happening, however.

Won't happen if people accept it and don't challenge the game creators to look into it.

Tabris

I would argue the game doesn't support super hard content for the large majority because FFXIV is played by people who like Final Fantasy.

Well first, most Final Fantasy games have incredibly hard secret bosses. See Ozma from FF9 as a good example.

Second, FFXI had incredibly hard content available to players along with kinda hard and easy.

So saying it's due to this having an audience of FF fans as the reason shouldn't be it. Reason is due to WoW theme'd "give me everything in game" easy mode MMO players.

All this talk of hard content makes me reminisce about the ole' days when Titan HM was the roadblock the vast majority of the community was stuck behind and people were selling clears of it for 600k a pop. When some people would rather do Coil because it was viewed as easier than Titan HM.

I can't remember the last time I went in PF and saw people selling clears for hard content.

iammeiam

I will say that the odd numbered patches dropping something for the end game raiders would probably go a long way. Tuning on A3S seems fine to me (it's probably harder to carry weaker members than previous raid tiers but nothing about it seems undoable or demanding perfection this far into the gear cycle); I'd rather they tune 4 down a little bit and then have something tuned a little above where 4 is now to drop on us in the .1 patch.

Odd numbered patches are always dead by the end of the content cycle and I'd guess pages putting a hard cap on clears required for gear is going to make that worse, not better.

Top Bottom