• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

I would agree but with weapons not having accuracy anymore the permutations are few and far between unless you start doing Hey this Crit/Det bow has more Det than Crit and this one has more Crit than Det! I'm not super excited by this idea, but I'm also not against it. More choices = more better.

Yeah, I understand why they removed accuracy as a weapon stat, buuuuut, they probably needed to add some other kind of stat to the game to compensate and add diversity.

I mean Tanks have Parry still, but nobody likes Parry! :p

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The problem I can see with challenge content is that it's gonna have even worse shelf life than everything else. There were a lot of Savage SCOB clears in 2.5 but that's largely because FCOB was beaten into the ground and there wasn't anything else to do.

Thus, 3 paladins, one to manage and kill each golem. XD

PS: You do realize I'm not being serious right?

Well it's not funny. The fight is already baby mode in a full party. You get one meteor. You skip the drakes completely. You kill the damn thing before the first set of divebombs. All you have to do is to adhere to very simple long since catalogued and explained mechanics.

WolvenOne

The problem I can see with challenge content is that it's gonna have even worse shelf life than everything else. There were a lot of Savage SCOB clears in 2.5 but that's largely because FCOB was beaten into the ground and there wasn't anything else to do.

Well it's not funny. The fight is already baby mode in a full party. You get one meteor. You skip the drakes completely. You kill the damn thing before the first set of divebombs. All you have to do is to adhere to very simple long since catalogued and explained mechanics.

I've still seen that fight destroy people, recently. Besides, seeing just how much you can cheese old content is a favorite past-time for some people these days. XD

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Valor, a lot of people don't care about titles, minions, glamour.

You need to just bump up the ilevel difference. i200, i210, i240 example.

And give no catch up mechanic until it's at i240, i250, i280.

We all know they won't do this though because people whine. And the whiners are the majority paying the bills.

scy

I would agree but with weapons not having accuracy anymore the permutations are few and far between unless you start doing Hey this Crit/Det bow has more Det than Crit and this one has more Crit than Det! I'm not super excited by this idea, but I'm also not against it. More choices = more better.

Well, a third option would finish the set for DPS, right? Crit/Det, Crit/SSPD, Det/SSPD. And maybe tanks get an option that doesn't make them cry (and healers do a thing too I guess). Not all of the weapons have to be useful but there's some combinations unexplored that gives each job a definitive "that's the one I want" as opposed to "that's better than the other one at least."

If nothing else, possible vanity piece that is at least ilvl appropriate as opposed to vanity piece that only exists to vanity piece.

In other news:
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/final-fantasy-xiv-tops-five-million-registered-users

Don't make the mistake I made last time something like this was posted and assume Registered=Subs. This is good news though that XIV is still growing, but the fact they won't release paid subs means they're probably not even at 1M paid. Since reaching or exceeding that mark would be a milestone worthy of announcement.

Back on topic:
In 3.1, we're getting probably at least one form of poverty (right side only? or will they give us left side too?) from weekly quest or new 24-person raid drop, possibly also able to get from seals obtained from The Hunt (return of GET...oh wait don't want to get demoted), and introduction of the new relic. New relic will certainly be i210 initially with a way to make it 215 before 3.2, giving those who haven't cleared A4S another push to get over the hump. My question is what will they do with it stat wise. Guess you can always have 3 variations of weapons. Like Piet/SS, Piet/Crit, Piet/Det for WHM cane. I realistically don't expect any customization right off the bat. Though it would be nice if you could (and somehow not involve materia again).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Just wait for those poverty gobcoats, gobtwines, and gobdips from hunts!

lytQsho.gif

WolvenOne

In other news:
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/final-fantasy-xiv-tops-five-million-registered-users

Don't make the mistake I made last time something like this was posted and assume Registered=Subs. This is good news though that XIV is still growing, but the fact they won't release paid subs means they're probably not even at 1M paid. Since reaching or exceeding that mark would be a milestone worthy of announcement.

last census I saw put the number of active users over a million, and that was last February. I think they go with registered users simply because that's the metric they decided to go with early on.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
last census I saw put the number of active users over a million, and that was last February. I think they go with registered users simply because that's the metric they decided to go with early on.

The fan census is pretty inaccurate- alts etc stuff it up, as I recall. I find it hard to believe they've had 1 million for the same reason as Mike D, though I guess they could be sticking to registered because 90% of people reading automatically assume they mean active subs? Ehhhhh.

iammeiam

Just wait for those poverty gobcoats, gobtwines, and gobdips from hunts!

Oh man if they put gobdip in hunts... I legit don't even know. It might work if they handle it like they did SCoB and go back and patch in extra upgrade items in earlier floors? Having 210 weapons go from exclusively from clearing an insanely tuned encounter to just lolhunts would be amazing to watch.

We're getting a new census this weekend, right? With all the cool stats and such like we did last year? I'm secretly hoping YoshiP calls out my character name as getting the first Kirin back in January. I will retire from the game* if this happens.

*I will transfer to the beautiful RP paradise on Balmung.

WolvenOne

The fan census is pretty inaccurate- alts etc stuff it up, as I recall. I find it hard to believe they've had 1 million for the same reason as Mike D, though I guess they could be sticking to registered because 90% of people reading automatically assume they mean active subs? Ehhhhh.

That, and this game probably has a lot of flux in it's active sub numbers. I'm betting a number of people only sub for story-patches or expansion, then disappear for months at a time. If they started using active subs as their metric, chances are investors and analysts would freak out if they A: (didn't mention what the number of active subs was for a prolonged period,) or B: (kept people fully up to date to the point where they saw how frequently the sub-numbers dip for whatever reason.)

The registered user number is larger and more stable, and thus makes it a better metric to use for this purpose. WoW does the same thing actually, considering that they don't break down just how many people are currently playing that game for free.

We're getting a new census this weekend, right? With all the cool stats and such like we did last year? I'm secretly hoping YoshiP calls out my character name as getting the first Kirin back in January. I will retire from the game* if this happens.

*I will transfer to the beautiful RP paradise on Balmung.
All are welcome, we are very kind on Balmung and the ERP is top notch since it is law to engage in ERP on a daily basis here.

scy

I don't think I understand single XHB enough to comprehend what double means.

Do you just get to plug in another controller. Is that how this works?

Allard

Maybe something like the echo version of the crosshotbar they mentioned in the past? Like a hot bar you could see at all times faintly behind the current one so you could see the cooldown on all your buffs and situational moves and easily switch to it. Currently you can only see the main bar you have active and all other bars you can't easily access on gamepad aside from using the trackpad on the DS4 which isnt very intuitive.

WolvenOne

Yeah, that grabbed my attention.

Maybe something like the echo version of the crosshotbar they mentioned in the past? Like a hot bar you could see at all times faintly behind the current one so you could see the cooldown on all your buffs and situational moves and easily switch to it. Currently you can only see the main bar you have active and all other bars you can't easily access on gamepad aside from using the trackpad on the DS4 which isnt very intuitive.

Doubt it, a half transparent crossbar behind another cross would be easy to implement, but not particularly helpful.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't particularly understand the logic behind making Alexander: For Real edition harder than Coil then plugging the same tier of rewards in it, especially if the stat distribution is just as random at large as it's always been (although most jobs' Gordian weapons are better than Esoteric to the point where it must've been a conscious decision - like how most IW weapons were loaded with accuracy for reasons)

WolvenOne

I don't particularly understand the logic behind making Alexander: For Real edition harder than Coil then plugging the same tier of rewards in it, especially if the stat distribution is just as random at large as it's always been (although most jobs' Gordian weapons are better than Esoteric to the point where it must've been a conscious decision - like how most IW weapons were loaded with accuracy for reasons)

Honestly, A3S and A4S could be nerfed a bit at 3.1 and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I have no doubt that I could clear these fights, EVENTUALLY, but farming them sounds like a bit of a pain.

Just use regular hotbar and put the skills on those?

That's what I do, it's easy and it works. Mind you PS4 users without a mouse might have a bit of an issue, but, really NEED a mouse and keyboard for this game, even if you're mainly using a controller.

Ken

Honestly, A3S and A4S could be nerfed a bit at 3.1 and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I have no doubt that I could clear these fights, EVENTUALLY, but farming them sounds like a bit of a pain.

A3S is no different from any other turn in that it's pretty much on farm after the first clear, going by streams. I don't expect A4S to be any different.

That's what I do, it's easy and it works. Mind you PS4 users without a mouse might have a bit of an issue, but, really NEED a mouse and keyboard for this game, even if you're mainly using a controller.

PS4 users can enable a virtual mouse on the controller's touch pad.

WolvenOne

A3S is no different from any other turn in that it's pretty much on farm after the first clear, going by streams. I don't expect A4S to be any different.

A3S, maybe. Hard time seeing A4S being easily farmable considering the epicness of the struggle going on right now.

Uh a half transparent crossbar where I could see my cooldowns on the other crossbar would be pretty darn handy.

I forget if you play on controller, but you can just activate one of the disabled crossbars that you normally use on M/KB setting (think it's 5 maybe) and it will appear right above your normal controller crossbar. View CDs that way.

Lol wtf? My friend and I do a quest early in the game where you put flowers on the ground, a body comes up and suddenly turns to rocks. Now we get a main ques where a defiled body becomes flowers. This game man...

rubius01

New Zodiac weapon story coming in 3.1or3.15:
The current ZW holders will be able to skip a certain phase in the beginning, but he also said this is still tentative.

womp womp

Alexander savage:
A lot of players are saying savage is hard but the difficulty of Alex savage is not based on Final coil, but instead SCoB savage. On the other hand, they intentionally made the difficulty of floor 1 and floor 2 closer to FCoB and they regard floor 3 and 4 as the true savage(hell). Their concept is to make the harder content even harder and the enjoyable parts easier.

Yoshida reveals the hierarchy of difficulty:
Alex savage>EX primals>=Alex normal>Crsytal tower>instanced dungeons>guildhests>guildleves>quests.

So Crystal Tower is your mid difficulty.....

Tabris

We all know they won't do this though because people whine. And the whiners are the majority paying the bills.

Are they actually though? How many of those people keep up their subscriptions the entire time?

And how you could solve that? You could make i210 gear that turns into i240 gear inside the savage content. iLevel Sync up.

Allard

This is using a hotbar below my crossbar to see the status of cooldowns. I described how to do this like 5 or so pages back:

mWhVwG8.jpg

THFUHfS.jpg

The fully translated interview gives a better picture what the new double hot bar is, its essentially another hotbar you can actively go to for players on gamepad beyond the initial 8 but they still discussing what the prompt will be to activate this bar on the current setup and how it closes. Its about giving players more hot bars to utilize on gamepad, it was referenced in the last live letter. Think like having 2 of each potential bar and all you have to do to switch between the two is a simply gesture, you already kinda do that now with R1 on SMN/SCH, simply pressing it while a pet is out brings up the pet bar no matter what, without pet it simply cycles numerically between the bars unless you hold it down and then select the face button on the bar number you want. I think having a mechanism like that could be even more helpful as you can go even further on customizing your work flow on top of the stuff like sheathing/unsheathing weapon etc.

Also the fully translated interview gave a hint what the new attraction for 3.1 is in the Gold Saucer.

"Can you at least give us a hint as to what the new game will be?

Yoshida: I received a similar question from the foreign media about this, and what I told them is that it "uses small things already in the game" (laughs)."

Sounds like its probably minion related. The full interview is over at Blue Gartr.

Valor

I use a controller for cross hotbar and I also don't think I understand it enough to know if i want a second one. I don't know how that's supposed to work like at all, even after reading it. It sounds like a logistical nightmare. L1 already has a use and R1 already has a use, so unless they're gonna go R2+R1 and L2+L1 i am at a loss. However, I think I would like such a thing to put my pretty-much-never-use-but-maybe-i-will-use-this-eventually bar.

Like giving Shadowbind a place to live instead of shacking up on my never used hotbar.

Also Re: Minions/mounts/titles that people don't care about - To the best of my knowledge, WoW mounts and gear are something of a status symbol. There was even a kotaku article about some skin earned on LoL that carried prestige with it because of its hard-to-get nature. People care(d?) about Savage Second titles for a while. What makes you think that a blanket statement of "a lot of people don't care about titles, minions, glamour" carries any weight? That's also why I said you can give out multiple rewards because some people really love housing items, some people really love minions, some people really love titles and some people really love glamour (everyone should). If you want to have a version of have and have nots, you can't just restrict it to gear because gear will fade at some time. Be it now or then, gear will eventually turn into seals or be desynthed. Mounts and Minions won't be.

If Mounts/Minions/Etc don't do it, then maybe they can introduce something else that could be more permanent that you can show off for completing such a feat - something that will add lasting prestige beyond the temporary fix of gear? You can still give out hefty gear, sure, but other rewards I think would be a nice way to go about it. People may bitch and moan over it, which is why I highly doubt this would ever happen, but in my mind that's the absolute best way to cater to the hardcore and cater to the casual. Give people something tangible to work towards that isn't just badass +30 ilevel gear.

Or make the best and highest ilevel savage gear all bikinis to force people to want to get good. Maybe that's the best solution. Hmm.

Top Bottom